• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 468 Views, 5 Comments

To Dance A Dream - Poet Knight



A dance pony's life is changed after a chance meeting

  • ...
1
 5
 468

Flashdance

Opal gazed at the mare before of her. This was the mare from the cafe, the mane and coat giving her away. But now Opal could see her cutie mark. A double horseshoe illuminated by a row of multicolored stage-lights from below. Well she certainly has the cutie mark for a dance pony, Opal thought.

/-\

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

\-/

The mare in question was curled up on the floor, her hooves tucked under her but still on point. Her hoodie had been discarded, but she still had on her legwarmers. Her head was face-down with her horn resting just above the floor. Her mane flowed over her face loosely. Her breathes were slow and controlled. With a light spark of magic the dance pony started the player.

{This song plays}

As the first few beats started, the mare did nothing. But as the beat picked up she leapt up, and started a fast-paced in-place prance keeping her head low. Then slowly she raised her head letting her mane fall back. Keeping that fast pace, she then proceeded to raise her front hooves off the ground till they went vertical. Her toned and trained muscles showing the stress of her movements through her coat. Dropping her fore-hooves to the sides fully extended, she proceeded to execute a triple-advancing turn into a leap that ended with her tucked in sitting-style with her right fore-hoof pointing skyward. She remained thus for only a second before snapping out so that her back-legs were splayed with her rump held off the ground and her left fore-hoof now pointed skyward, her weight held on her right fore-hoof. Lowering her rump down she spun a little to the right and pulled her legs in. Giving a quick buck to the ground, she propelled herself into a back-flip ending with her in that fast-paced prance again. As the song looped into a repeat, she slid across the floor in a series of long-struts before resuming standing on her hind-legs. Moving around in a small circle her hips marking a circle of their own in counterpoint, she let a big smile cross her lips.

Opalescence found herself unable to look away from the dance-pony's lithe form, following all of her movements like they were treasures. What am I doing? she asked herself as she tried to look away from the figure before her, but what happened next caused Opal's eyes to bulge open and her jaw to drop. With a rapid flashing of light the mare started popping in and out of sight a new dance pose following each flash. She's not blinding with that flash....she's teleporting!! Opal realized that the mare was popping up in the same place every time, just in a different pose. After about twelve of these the mare disappeared from the dance-floor. Opal shrieked when she heard someone behind her yell, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

Opal spun around and found herself facing Glamdancer. "Wha...well...um...I was watching you dance." stammered Opalescence as she backed into the room onto the dance-floor, Glamdancer following her.

"Your not supposed to enter reserved rooms." Glamdancer's eyes lit up as she recognized the mare from the cafe. "Oh, hey beautiful!
You like that kiss so much that you had to find me?"

"What? No!! Well, I did like the kiss..., but that's not important! How dare you kiss me like that out in public!" ranted Opal, her mind reeling at the dancer's proximity and the unknown feelings traipsing around inside her. What was it about this mare?

"Oh, so you're just upset that it was in public?" Glamdancer grinned, "Well, we're alone now if you want to continue?"

"I'd...um...no....thank you, but no." replied Opal looking sheepish. She then blurted out, "How can you teleport like that? I don't know anypony who can do that!"

"Um, well, it's about the only magic I can do." admitted Glamdancer. "I'm not even that good at levitation." Glamdancer sat down and didn't look at the other unicorn. "And I can only really do that when I'm dancing. Kind of like building a charge."

A virtuoso of sorts thought Opal. "But your obviously good at dancing, your cutie mark and what I've seen are proof enough. So why are you living in...." She waived her hoof indicating the poorer neighborhood around them, as she sat down also.

"Because I'm a unicorn who has very little magic." Glamdancer retorted. "Pegasi dancers can do cloud dancing, and earth-ponies have all the other good moves. Unicorns are only known for those stuffy high society dances unless you have a lot of magic to do lights and ribbons and things."

"But surely you have some skill in lights?" stated Opal as she pointed to Glam's cutie mark. "And what's wrong with the high society dances? I like them just fine."

"Puhlease, your Highness. Unless you a dance pony whose passion IS that type of dancing, it can put the rest of us to sleep. Don't get me wrong, we still know that kind of dancing. It's kind of required, but it's not what we love. Give me something with a heavy beat, something I can groove to." Glamdancer rolled her eyes and tilted her head to look at Opal during this.

"Alright, but what about the lights?" queried Opal.

Glamdancer sighed, "It means I want to dance in the lights. I know a little about stage lighting do to working as a roadie to a band, and that's was usually pro-bono work. Non-paid in other words."

"Well...what about other dancing jobs?" Opalescence had never talked to someone of such low social standing in such a familiar way before. And, she kind of wanted to keep talking to this mare.

"Been rejected by almost all. They don't like my dance style, I don't have the magic they want, or they don't want me upstaging the star." Glam brushed a hoof along her mane. "There's one I've been told will take me, but I don't want to go THAT far." She shuddered at the thought.

Opal thought it prudent NOT to ask the implications of that statement. "Hrmm. Since I'm here and I interrupted your practice, let me make it up to you. You teach me a little of you not-stuffy dancing, and I'll pay you a tutor's fee."

Glamdancer looked at the other mare with a little bit of shock in her eyes. "Um, okay....but I only have the room rented for another (quick check of the clock) hour and a fifteen minutes. Stretching is going to take probably fifteen....so yeah, lets do this!" Glamdancer gave Opal a smile and hopped to her hooves. Maybe she'll even let me do some hooves-on teaching!

Opal thought she caught a glimpse of blush on the other mare's muzzle as Glamdancer proceeded over to her player and turned it off. I hope she doesn't try to get hoofsie, Opal wondered. Though would I really mind?

Author's Note:

Yes I used that song....are you surprised?

Don't know where I'm taking this yet, so enjoy the ride!