• Published 5th May 2012
  • 3,392 Views, 98 Comments

I Dream to Fly - MrDynasty



Scootaloo has a dream, a dream most pegasus can do at an early age. A dream to fly.

  • ...
7
 98
 3,392

When the Bell Rings

Twilight walked into the library with Spike following behind her. “See Spike, this is what Rainbow was looking for. She needed to find out why Scootaloo was so defiant with any questions about her parents.”


Twilight turned her head away from Spike and looked over to her desk. It was covered in books; a lot more than usual. There were books scattered haphazardly all across the floor on the main level of the library as well, everything seemed out of place and disorganised.


“Spike… did we leave the library in this mess?” Twilight asked.


Spike looked around the room, scanning everything. He eventually looked up towards Twilight’s bedroom. In addition to trashing the library, it looked like somepony had gone up there too. Spike pointed towards Twilight’s bedroom.


“Twilight, you should check up there, whoever did this might still be here,” Spike said.


Twilight placed a hoof on her chin and thought for a moment before slowly making her way up the stairs leading to her bedroom with Spike close behind her. Twilight knew no pony would do this without a good reason. No one really hated her, so it couldn’t have been out of hate.


The pair reached the top of the stairs. Twilight listened closely and heard quiet breathing coming from inside the bedroom; somepony was obviously in there.


“Spike, can you start tidying this place up? I’ve got this,” Twilight whispered to Spike.


The baby dragon lifted his arm up in an obedient salute and quickly ran back down the stairs to begin picking up all of the books on the floor. Twilight tensed herself up, ready to leap into the bedroom full force.


She shook her flank slightly to get a better grip on the wood stairs, moving her hooves ever so slightly. After getting a good, solid footing she held her breath, ready to face whatever was inside her bedroom. She sprang into the bedroom and used her horn to illuminate the small room. Her room was now bathed in a bright white light, but after a fast inspection it appeared there was nopony in the room. Twilight made a second, more thorough search with her eyes. She looked closely at the bed and noticed that there was obviously something under the covers. The blanket was rising and falling with each breath of the intruder.


Twilight slowly and quietly stalked to the side of the bed, trying not to wake whatever or whoever was sleeping in her bed. It was a small lump; it couldn’t have been a pony unless it was a young filly or colt. Twilight gripped the corner of her bed sheet with her magic and hesitated before lifting it up to reveal what was in her bed. She quickly hauled the sheet off with a forceful tug and looked down.


All she saw was a small orange filly sleeping quite peacefully. Scootaloo? she thought to herself, halfway between amusement and anger. Where in Equestria is Dash if Scootaloo is here by herself.


Twilight looked around Scootaloo to see if she could find anything, nothing seemed to stick out except for the thing she was holding in her hooves, wrapped in her arms tightly. It looked to be some sort of doll, something close to the shape of a pony.


Twilight placed a hoof on Scootaloo and prodded her slightly. “Scootaloo?” She asked quietly. Twilight then shook Scootaloo slightly, not too hard, trying to wake her up gently. “Scootaloo, you awake?”


Scootaloo yawned. She rubbed one of her eyes with her hoof, opened the other eye and looked up at Twilight.


Scootaloo sat up in the bed and rubbed her eyes before looking back over to Twilight. Twilight looked around her room for a third time to see if she could see anything else, but nothing seemed out of place. With the exception of the filly in her bed, everything was perfect in her bedroom, just the way she liked it.


Twilight’s eyes darted back to Scootaloo as though the unicorn had momentarily forgotten about the intruder in her bed. She bombarded the filly with questions. “Scootaloo, why are you here? Shouldn’t you be at home? Where is Rainbow Dash?”


Scootaloo looked around the room before answering. “I… I don’t know. Rainbow Dash came to my house, we talked, I showed her some stuff and she decided it would be best if I came and lived with her instead of living in my own house. Now I don’t know where she is, I fell asleep… I’m not even really sure where I am.”


“You’re in my bedroom at the library. Spike and I just got back from running errands and you were here in my bed.” Twilight began to turn towards the window, but a small bright blue form near Scootaloo held her gaze.


Scootaloo glanced over to where Twilight was looking and saw the small doll on the bed. Scootaloo looked over to Twilight again, waiting to see what she was going to do. Twilight used her magic to lift the doll up to her face in order to get a clearer look at the doll. It was a small cyan knitted doll with wings and a multicoloured mane. “Where did you get this?” Twilight asked.


Scootaloo shrugged. “I don’t know who… made it for me.” Her voice was still unstable and stingy. “I just… got it somewhere, I know that it was made specifically for me, but I don’t know… anything besides that.”


Twilight hesitated before talking to Scootaloo again, but she knew she had to ask, even if she would just get a blank stare. “Your… parents?”


Scootaloo just looked away and shook her head. Twilight turned Scootaloo’s head around and looked into her eyes. “Scootaloo, please, you need to tell us something about your parents for your own safety. Me and Dash love you, we can’t just let you wander off without any information.” Twilight paused before continuing. “Do you know anything about your parents at all?” she asked.


Scootaloo just stood still, trying to avoid the question.


Twilight looked over to the doll she was floating; it looked to be in good condition. “Where has this doll been? It’s in perfect condition.”


Scootaloo stood up on the bed and grasped the floating doll in her mouth. She then pulled it down and laid it on the bed. “It’s only been in my house, it never went outside. It’s never moved, really. I just kept it in my house.”


Twilight then thought to herself. ‘It’s only been in her house…’ it seemed to be something that could provide Twilight with some indication of Scootaloo’s parents. Twilight placed a hoof on her chin for a several seconds, thinking about this possibility.


Twilight pulled her hoof away from her chin and gazed over to the doll that was still lying idly on the bed. “May I borrow your doll? I just want to have a look at it, I promise I won’t do anything to it that may damage or ruin it.”


Scootaloo grasped the doll in her mouth and hesitated for a second. She then leaned over to Twilight with the doll in her mouth, slowly letting her grip out, allowing Twilight to lift it with her magic.


“Thank you Scootaloo, I promise I won’t do anything to it, I swear.” Scootaloo sat back down on the bed and glared around the room, slowly analysing everything around her. Nothing seemed to catch her eye until she looked to a desk at the side of the bed. On it was what seemed to be Twilight’s diary. Scootaloo never touched it as she knew it contained private matters that may involve quarries that she couldn’t understand herself, let alone read.


Twilight looked over to Scootaloo, who was still scanning the majority of the books on the shelves. “Would you like a book to read? I can give you Daring Do, if you would like.”


Scootaloo nodded slightly.


Suddenly, Twilight had placed a book in front of Scootaloo. It was the one she asked for. She remembered Rainbow Dash liked it and told her about it.


“Have you read any Daring Do before?” Twilight asked.


Scootaloo once again used her recently standard response and shook her head silently.


“Oh, well, you’ll probably like it. It’s a really good book series and I’d be happy to lend you some of them to read if you want.” Twilight said.


Just then Twilight placed another book on top of the first. Scootaloo picked it up and read the title out loud. “Daring Do and the Sa…phire Stone.”


Scootaloo looked over to Twilight with a confused look on her face. She didn’t really know much about Daring Do aside from all of the information she had picked up from Rainbow Dash’s constant babbling. But Dash had only been obsessed with it for a couple of days, so it wasn’t a big deal or anything. Rainbow Dash read almost all of them in one sitting, which was probably the reason for her outbursts about it.


“How many books are there in the series Twilight?” Scootaloo inquired.


Twilight placed a hoof on her chin and thought for a moment before answering. “I don’t really know, about twenty I think. Each one is about the same length, around… two hundred to four hundred pages. It’s a popular book series.”


The interested filly opened the book and started reading it to herself.


“I’ll be downstairs if you need me Scootaloo, I have to go and see if I can find Rainbow,” Twilight said.


Scootaloo nodded and continued reading.


Twilight trotted down the stairs, letting the sounds of her hooves tap against the hardwood flooring that made up the warmth and feel of the library’s interior. The floor still had some books on it, some of which looked to have been dropped.


“Spike?” Twilight called out as she worked her way down the stairs.


Twilight reached the bottom of the stairs and looked around for her assistant. “How’s it going Spike? How much do you think you’ll have to clean?”


Spike came out from under a table in the middle of the room with a hand full of books. He placed them on the table and started arranging them by the specific categories that they belonged to, knowing how organised Twilight liked her library.


“It’s going fine, it was a bunch of scattered books and some moved furniture. It’ll take me roughly… thirty minutes to get this place clean from top to bottom,” Spike said, obviously annoyed that he was tidying up by himself once again.


Twilight, oblivious to her assistant’s perturbed tone, continued speaking as though he hadn’t said anything. “I have an idea. Scootaloo is reluctant to willingly offer any information about her parents, let alone her relatives. She may have forgotten about them due to memory loss, or she may just be avoiding the situation entirely. Either way, I have a theory that may give us a chance at discovering at least a little about who they are.”


Spike turned away from the stack of books on the table and walked over to Twilight.


Twilight placed the Rainbow Dash doll on her desk carefully and pointed to it. Spike gave Twilight a weird look before attempting to respond, he opened his mouth just as he was cut off by Twilight. “I know it looks stupid, but I think this may work. Scootaloo said that this doll has only been in her house, nowhere else. Which leads me to believe that her parents must have made it, or some sort of close relative. Nothing seems out of place and, as far as I know, Scootaloo can’t knit herself, so it’s almost one hundred percent confirmed that this was made in her house by somepony that isn’t her.”


Spike smiled and picked up the doll. “You could be right Twilight, but it’s still a long shot. We have no leads. We have no proof, only assumed thoughts that seem logical enough to be true. I still doubt we’ll get any possible sign of Scootaloo’s parents, so I guess our only shot is to do what seems best. If we’re gonna research the doll, we need to break it down. Not literally…of course.” Twilight nodded and took the doll back, placing it on the desk.


“But something that bothers me, Spike, is the fact that Rainbow Dash just… abandoned Scootaloo for no reason. I hope she has an explanation for this, but what I really want to know is where she is right now.” Twilight squinted at the doll to get a closer, more precise look at it.


“Rainbow Dash, where are you?”