• Published 5th May 2012
  • 3,391 Views, 98 Comments

I Dream to Fly - MrDynasty



Scootaloo has a dream, a dream most pegasus can do at an early age. A dream to fly.

  • ...
7
 98
 3,391

Crusader Support

Scootaloo exited her house with her scooter dragging behind her. She slid her helmet over her head, buckling the strap, and got on the scooter. Her scooter was old, she knew she would need to get a new one soon; this one could break at any second.


This is going to take forever with only one wing, Scootaloo thought to herself. Her one good wing began buzzing as she flapped it with as much force as she could muster and began the short journey towards the middle of Ponyville.


The day was beautiful, it was warm and the colours of Ponyville appeared as though they were attempting to jump away from the objects holding them. The sun was bright and it also looked like Rainbow Dash had already cleared the clouds. Scootaloo was never really an admirer of nature, but she took this moment to enjoy the fresh air in the sky. Nothing felt better than letting the wind catch your coat and mane in the great heat of the sunlight.


Scootaloo drove around swiftly on her scooter. She may have had a bad morning, but the day has only just begun. Passing around all of Ponyville’s landmarks and amazing displays made Scootaloo happy. The sun was shining brightly in the sky, and the smell of fresh air and flowers floated on the breeze.


While passing around Carousel Boutique, she saw the door open with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom walking out. Scootaloo turned around and headed over to her two friends. She hopped off of her scooter and trotted up to them. “Hey Sweetie Belle! Hey Applebloom!”


“Scootaloo! Where have you been lately? We haven’t seen you for a couple days.” Scootaloo had been gone for a while, but she didn’t want to tell Sweetie Belle the reason why.


“What in the tarnation happened to you?” Applebloom interjected, pointing out the bandages around Scootaloo’s waist and forearm.


“I slipped and fell,” Scootaloo answered dejectedly. She then turned to the unicorn in the group to answer the previous inquiry. “I’ve been at home. You know, just… doing stuff.”


Sweetie Belle seemed to think nothing of the unusually vague answer and just smiled at both of the fillies standing with her. Scootaloo started to feel uncomfortable when she noticed the grin that crept over Sweetie Belle’s face.


“I’ve shown Applebloom already, so I’d better show you too, Scootaloo,” Sweetie said, still wearing the strange smile.


Scootaloo looked slightly confused and glanced over at Applebloom, who was focused too much on Sweetie to notice. Sweetie Belle pointed at her horn and shut her eyes.


Sweetie’s horn began to glow, causing Applebloom to take a step back. A couple of rocks lifted slowly off the ground and floated in the air around Sweetie Belle. After several seconds, the glow that had enveloped her horn began to dim and flicker, eventually disappearing completely and the rocks fell back to the cold ground.


Sweetie looked back over to Scootaloo once her eyes opened. “I finally figured out how to use my magic, and it’s getting easier every time I try it!”


Scootaloo then looked to her flank and unfolded her uninjured wing; she flapped it quick and stared at it and the useless lump under the bandage for a while.


Sweetie Belle noticed Scootaloo’s discomfort and moved closer to her, placing a hoof on her shoulder. “Don’t worry Scootaloo, you’ll fly eventually, you just need to give your body time to grow.”


Sweetie’s smile was comforting to an extent, but Scootaloo was still upset about her inability to fly. She heard from Pinkie Pie that even Pound Cake was able to fly; that hit Scootaloo hard when she realised that she is almost at her teen years and she still hasn’t flown yet.


Scootaloo looked to her friend cynically. “You really think so?”


“I know it! Don’t get yourself down just because you can’t fly yet, you’re special for not being able to fly. It means you still have an experience yet to discover for yourself,” Sweetie Belle replied.


Scootaloo hugged Sweetie Belle and she hugged back. There was never a dull moment when Sweetie was there, she would always try to comfort everypony to the best of her ability.


Scootaloo came out from the hug and looked into Sweetie’s eyes. Her pale green eyes spoke of honesty, care and the loving kind soul that was shining inside of her. “Thanks Sweetie Belle, you’re the best.” She looked over to Applebloom afterwards. “No offence Applebloom.”


“None taken, ah understand. Y’all two are sharing an emotional moment… an’ I’m not the best at these sorta things, anyway.” Applebloom trotted over to them and joined them in a group hug. Above all else, the crusaders were loyal to each other; nothing could ever come between them.


“Scootaloo, if you ever need to talk about something, I’ll always be here okay?” Sweetie Belle cared about Scootaloo, along with every other pony, and she always tried her best to make Ponyville a better place.


“Thanks, Sweetie. You girls mean the world to me.” She paused for a moment. “I was actually going somewhere when I stopped here. I was on my way to see if I could find Rainbow or Twilight, I was thinking they could maybe help me with my… problem.” Scootaloo flapped her one operational wing twice, just in case her two friends had not recognised what she was referring to.


“No problem Scoots, ya go and head on off, don’ let us hold ya back” Applebloom tapped Scootaloo’s shoulder after talking.


Scootaloo got back onto her scooter and waved to her two friends, they both smiled and returned the gesture.


Scootaloo roamed around Ponyville on her scooter before coming towards the big tree that housed the library within. It was also where Twilight and Spike lived ever since they moved from Canterlot. Scootaloo got off her scooter and knocked on the door three times, she heard the clapping of feet coming closer to the door.


She stood there for several seconds before the door opened, only to see Spike standing there, motioning for her to come in. “Come on in Scootaloo, can I help you find something?”


Scootaloo stepped in and looked around the library; it was big and smelled faintly of wood. “Actually you can help me find something. I’m looking for Twilight… Where have you been Spike? I haven’t seen you in a while.”


Spike closed the door and walked over to a small desk with some papers on it. “I’ve been working in Canterlot for Princess Celestia lately; I just got back yesterday. Of course, as soon as I got here, Twilight wanted help moving everything around in the basement under the library. Let me tell you, that place was a wreck before we put in the new bed and cabinet. Anyways, I think Twilight’s upstairs, I’ll go get her.”


Spike started up the stairs at a leisurely pace.


Scootaloo never thought that Spike would get an important role with Celestia herself, but then remembered that Twilight was the Princess’s personal protégé and would obviously have been connected with her in the first place.


Scootaloo read over the papers that were lying out on the desk, not noticing Twilight trotting down the stairs and moving over to the little filly. “One week of work… Celestia herself… Events” She nodded her head after reading the small print on the paper that looked to be a report, probably for Twilight.


“Hey there Scootaloo, what can I do you for?” Scootaloo turned around quickly, startled by the seemingly sudden presence of Twilight standing behind her. “Oh, I’m so sorry Scootaloo; I didn’t mean to frighten you.”


“No problem Twilight, it woke me up at least.” Scootaloo’s voice quickly lost its enthusiasm as she spoke the last few words. “I uh... well I was kinda wondering if you could maybe help me with something?”


Twilight floated the papers that were on the table back over to the desk that Spike picked them up from. “Sure, anything for you. What do you need help with?”


Scootaloo turned to her side, opened her unbound wing and fluttered it a couple times, attempting to give off a signal. Twilight recognised what Scootaloo meant; she knew the filly couldn’t fly.


Twilight also recognised the bandage on Scootaloo’s wing. “What happened to your wing?”


“I slipped and fell on it. So... do you think you can help me with learning to fly?”


“I can try researching into this if you want me to. I don’t have any personal experience with flight, but I’m sure we can find some sort of information here on what may be causing your problems,” Twilight said as she began to float books from the library shelves, one of them was Flight Training and another one of them was Reversed Flight Patterns.


“You might want to read this in the mean time, Scootaloo. It could help you with learning how to fly.” Twilight floated the book titled Flight Training over to Scootaloo, who grasped it in her mouth. Twilight walked over to her desk and continued to search through the books in order to find one that would be suited to the poor filly’s situation.


“Thanks Twilight, I’m going to go find Rainbow Dash. I’ll remember to read this when I can.” Scootaloo walked over to the heavy wooden door at entrance of the library and Spike followed slowly behind.


Twilight quickly looked up from her books. “Scootaloo, remember the night a couple weeks ago when you were talking to Pinkie Pie? What was she talking to you about?”


Scootaloo placed a hoof on her chin trying to remember what night that was. “I’m pretty sure she was talking to me about Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake, when I asked her about a rumour I heard. It was about them flying or something.”


Twilight nodded and continued to delve deep into her books. Spike walked up to the door and opened it to let Scootaloo out.


“Bye Twilight, thanks again! Bye Spike,” Scootaloo said before walking through the doorway.

“Bye Scootaloo, good luck finding Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said, looking up from the books just long enough to respond.


Spike smiled to her as she walked out the door and over to her scooter. He shut the door not long after he started waving to her.


“Now to find Rainbow Dash.”