• Published 11th Jan 2015
  • 1,455 Views, 26 Comments

My Little Starfleet: Beginnings - DW_Beast



Equuis home planet of Equestria has invented warp drive and is now a member of the Federation of Planets.

  • ...
19
 26
 1,455

Academy Year 1 Part 1

Getting in

It had been a little over 100 years since that faithful day that the three had launched the first warp capable ship and the people of Equuis took their first steps into the universe. With that a few things happened. After an accident with a later ship model it was discovered that winged ponies like pegasus and alicorns could actually generate their own atmosphere allowing them to survive unprotected in space. The time was limited to the amount of magic they possessed in their bodies, so more powerful ones like the princesses and Wanderbolts could survive longer then an average pegasus.

The next thing to happened was a small space fleet that mostly patrolled their star system. The crews made up of ponies from several of the lands, a few horses and zebras and even a compliment of griffons. The dragons not liking the idea of space decided under the new Dragonlord Spike that they would provide a planetary defense in case they drew an invasion from any other race that may exist out there.

The last thing to happen in this time, happened just after the completion of their third ship the ESV (Equuis Star Vessel) Canterlot was completed, the first ship to possess a warp 5 capability. The new ship had detected another ship on its sensors heading toward their space at a faster speed then even their latest ship was capable. Luckily the ship in question was not an enemy ship, but in fact brought to Equuis a new friend to their people. The ship was a science vessel of the United Federation of Planets named the USS Equinox under the command of Captain Christopher Graham an older human. With it and the information they gave the younger space traveling race about the galaxy, its races and science brought Equuis into a new age.



There stat Twilight and her friends where by the counsel's request were in the waiting room to the counsel hall seated as they waited till they were told to enter into the proceedings. The notice had come to them 6 months ago along with a stack of 6 datapads with an added note to have each member of their herd to study one. The six were surprised to find it as a study guide for Federation technology and history.

"So why do you think they wanted us here Twi," asked Rainbow as she hovered over the alicorn's shoulder lazily.

"Well I can take a guess, but it would just be that a guess. With the information they sent us, stuff that from what I learned is Federation data. The Federation would not release the data easily since a lot of it is technology they keep to themselves. My guess is they wanted us to gather information on them since they are to busy and we most of us are experts in some of the fields. Why they sent it to all of us and not just you, Pinkie and myself though is a mystery. But I digress, I think the counsel is thinking of joining the Federation and wanted us to go over information on the organization," Twilight responded trying herself to fully figure it out.

It was not to long after the brief conversation that the six mares were shown into counsel chambers where a few members of other races sat. On screens to the side was Spike the leader of the dragons and Twilight's old assistant, on the other was a dragon she had never meet but the markings painted on it's scaly form was that of dragon command general. Also in the counsel chamber were three well dressed Federation ambassadors, two humans and a vulcan.

"Thank you for coming you all," started Luna.

"I guess you want to know what this is about. But before we get started we should probably introduce you to the new people in the room. These are Ambassadors, Richard Graves, Lindy O'Conner, and T'Leia of the United Federation of Planets," continued Celestia as she pointed over to the aliens seated at the counsel table.

"For the last six months we have been hammering out some details with our planet joining the Federation. There are a lot of dangers in the galaxy and joining them will bean we will have help if something does arise. But to smooth this over and get our people to look into exploring outside of our own star system we need to have someponies well known enough to venture out there and show others it's not as bad as it seems. That is why you six are here today, we wish for you to join their organization Starfleet to become these someponies that will inspire the world. I will now turn it over to our esteamed guests to explain everything," Celestia finished.

"Thank you, your highness. Now as she said before I am Richard Graves and i am lead ambassador of this diplomatic assembly. I am not going to lie to you the Federation has had its eyes on Equuis for a while, your people are a unique force in the known galaxy. The use of magic would become a very useful ability to have on our side, so we were more then happy with the small amount of cultural needs your people have. All equine and griffon members of Starfleet will have their cultural right observed. In the case of equines such as yourselves herds will be held together, if a captain needs or wants one of you they get you all. After reviewing the benefits of herds we can see this as an asset more then a issue. Though we suggest either working in a more general area like command, science or engineering as these can occupy more then one area of the ship. You could also pick out a second job for instance if you study ship operations you could also pick up cargo and supply or transporter schooling. The second will be the right to wear your, I believe they are called cutie mark patches," finished a little unsure it that was the right name for it and looking back at Luna and Celestia for affirmation.

After they gave him a nod he continued. " If you six are willing and have gotten you studies done we have the USS Enterprise in orbit with Admiral Nsomeka aboard who can authorize your entrance exams. After which you could either return here and stay at this palace since the princesses authorized it or remain on the ship until the results are in. That should take no more then a day or two."

'What do you girls think,' Twilight asked over their bond.

'Are you kidding this sounds like so much funny fun fun adventure I say we do it,' Pinkie responded.

'My darling I go where you go. Although I am not against this at all sounds like a break from the routine. Lets face it over a thousand years of the same thing gets rather dull,' continued Rarity.

'Although the idea of schooling is not something I am looking forward to. I will admit the idea of getting a chance to possibly get to pilot one of those Federation star ships would be AWESOME,' exclaimed Rainbow.

'Well uhh, If you girls think it would be for the best[/],' Fluttershy whispered over the link.

'Well sugarcube, ah ain't got much ta do here. Not since ah gave the farm to mah and mac's grandchildren and let it pass down the line. Ah say we do this ya'll,' finished off Applejack.

"Okay, we have talked it over and we are in. It would be nice to see new things after so long of the same thing. I also have to admit I am looking forward to new avenues of science that this will open up to me. So yes Ambassador Graves we are ready to do start," Twilight finally said after she got the other input.

"Very well you six good luck," Graves said with a smile on his face before tapping the badge on his chest. "Graves to Enterprise ," he started as he moved closer to the six. "Seven to beam up,' he finished.

The sensation was a little odd to the six as the saw a blue light shimmer into existence in front them and then the room shift from the counsel chamber to medium sized room with a large circular platform they were standing on. Across the there stood five humans, the one behind the console was a middle aged human with receding curly brown hair.

The other four though seemed far more important. The first was a stern looking man man with a measured smile but not unwelcoming. The man was bald with very short grew hair circling from one side of the head back to the other side. He wore a red and back top with four golden pins on his collar, black slacks and black dress shoes.

The man to his left wore the same attire with three pips on his collar. The man appeared much younger then the other with black back hair neatly parted to the right and a short dark beard. His expression was more friendly then the other with a gentle smile.

The third stood out from the others as she was the only one wearing a blue uniform instead of red. She was a young looking woman with bushy black hair pulled back with a gold silver black and copper colored braided hairband. She had two solid gold pips and one that was black with a gold outer ring. Her smile was sincere with emotion filled black eyes.


The last was an older human woman with graying brown hair pulled back into a tight bun. Her red top had gold pipping running along the separating the red and black and then running down the flap. The top also was longer then the others with black cuff embroidered by gold pipping. she had on her a black rectangle rank insignia with gold outline and three gold dots in it.


"Ladies welcome aboard the Enterprise, I am Jean-Luc Picard captain of this ship. To my left is my first officer Commander William Riker, Counselor Deanna Troi, and last but not least Admiral Nsomeka head of Starfleet Academy. We have been asked to host your entrance testing and to transport you to Earth where the academy is located. If you ladies will follow us we will show you to where you will be holding your tests," spoke the bald leader as the four of them lead the six mares out of the room.



After several grueling hours of testing and assessments the six found themselves in the ship lounge to relax a little before heading back home to say goodbye to everything they knew for Celestia only knew how long. Sitting at the bar with a glass of apple cider next to Rarity, Twilight watched as their other friends enjoyed themselves. Rainbow was at a table with Applejack and two junior officers talking it up with exuberance. Fluttershy was with the bar manager and hostess Guinan talking to talk an excited Pinkie out of throwing a massive part until they were sure they all passed. The sight made her chuckle at the sight of two patient females dealing with the easily excited mare.

"Mind if we sit beside you, Princess Sparkle," came a voice to her left side. Looking over she sees Commander Riker and Counselor Troi standing there.

"No of course not, and its just Twilight. Even after all this time I prefer more informal titles," she answered with a smile across her muzzle. Watching as the two sat down Riker started up a conversation.

"When I read your profile I have to admit I was surprised. Never seen a new member send on of their royals to join Starfleet," the bearded officer started.

"It's all just a title, I have only been a royal celebrity for the last few hundred years. Ever since the ruling console was formed and a third princess was no longer needed. Besides we are more likely go off into the unknown then any other herd. Also with out status on our world us joining will spark more interest," she responded with a chuckle.

"Hmm, so it is true you and the others are more then a 1000 years old. Have to say from what I have seen of your people you don't look any older then your early 20's," Riker continued.

"Heh, benefits to being immortal I guess. we will always look like we are in out 20's, even when we reach our one million birthday. Has some benefits but caused a lot of pain. We actually didn't find out about it until after we all had families and children," she said with a soft sigh.

Troi left off a soft gasp. "Ohh, that must have been so hard on you all. I couldn't imagine watching my children grow old and die while I stayed the same as ever," said after she figured out the longing emotion she felt form the lavender mare.

"It's okay now, we will never forget them but we have moved on and accepted what we are. After the first century was the hardest we shut ourselves in my castle for a couple decades before we were ready to face the world again," Twilight responded looking up at the emphatic officer.

"You going to be staying on the ship till the results are in or you going to be heading back down planet side," questioned Riker.

"Well we are going home for the wait, in fact need to head there now actually. It was good talking to you both and I am sure we will have plenty of time on the trip to Earth to talk more," she finished with a gentle smile of her own as she sent a alert to the others through their link.

"Take care Twilight, we will have to have some kind of celebration when the results come in," said Riker as the girls gathered to her.

"Don't worry I am sure Pinkie here will do one for us no matter what," she responded with a chuckle knowing her pink friend well enough to do just that.

"Yuppers," chirped the pink mare to the commander as she followed the others out.



It took two days for the results to come in. They had all passed with varying degrees of success. Twilight had passed with the highest science and over all score since Commander Data's entry exam. Rarity passed with a slightly above average grade. Pinkie scored really high only a few points off of Twilight with incredible scores in engineering and warp theory. Applejack had on upper end average score. Rainbow had just barely passed not surprising anyone as the speedster was not the best test taker, and while she was better then she used to be she was not the best at studying either. Flutteshy did quite well, nothing ground breaking but it showed the mare was very intelligent behind her her meek demeanor.

After a tearful so long to Celestia and Luna the six mares where once again back on board the Enterprise heading off to Earth to start their studies to be Starfleet officers.

Author's Note:

I tried to used cannon stuff like Admiral Nsomeka, who was the person who told Picard about the open spot for Wesley in the academy.
The USS Equinox was in Voyager, it was the other ship in the delta quatrant, but since this story takes place years before the start of the Voyager series I didn't use Ransom as captain instead making an OC for it.

The story as far as time line goes by the way has this chapter taking place in the year 2366 or season three of the TNG series.

Also I was originally going to have a made up ship bring in the admiral but desided to have the Enterprise cameo for the fun of it. I will later in the story have a DS 9 cameo.