• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 12,370 Views, 412 Comments

The AppleDash Project - bookplayer



A series of AppleDash scenes related to episodes.

  • ...
21
 412
 12,370

Catching Rainbows (The Cutie Mark Chronicles)

That afternoon was especially happy for the six friends at Sugarcube Corner. The discovery of their special connection to one another seemed to make their normally friendly conversation something magical, like sitting there and talking and laughing with each other was exactly where they all belonged.

Rainbow Dash felt a special pride at having been the pony responsible for all of them getting their cutie marks, but that was overshadowed by something bigger. She already knew there was something amazing between the six of them, they were the elements of harmony after all. It occurred to her that maybe she hadn't done that sonic rainboom, at least not by herself. If they were fated to be friends, maybe that sonic rainboom just happened by magic, to show her who she really was just like it showed her friends.

Of course, she'd never admit to thinking like that. It would be one less sonic rainboom to her credit after all. It had to be a fact in her mind: Rainbow Dash had done a sonic rainboom before AJ could even buck an apple tree.

As the group split up early that evening, Applejack smiled at her as they stepped out of Sugarcube Corner, “We gotta few hours before sundown. Care for a run?”

“Sounds awesome.” Dash said, falling in step with AJ.

Her connection to AJ was different from the one she had with the rest of her friends. It wasn't as flashy as glowing elements or a sonic rainboom. It was just a partnership. They were both tough ponies who had each others backs, they could laugh at the things that drove them crazy about each other, and there were so many little things they didn't have to explain, they just understood. From the beauty of a coat and mane messy from hours of exertion, to the nagging tension of an unmet challenge, they were on the same page.

The kisses were a bonus. A really awesome bonus.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack trotted to the edge of town, then took off running to the Whitetail Woods. They didn't have to ask, they both knew they were going there. The winding trails belonged to them, together.

As they entered the shade of the forest, Applejack fell behind Dash. Dash looked back at her, a little worried at first. But she didn't seem to be tired or hurt, just holding back on her speed.

“Checking out my flank?” Dash teased.

“I got a healthy appreciation.” Applejack replied.

Rainbow Dash sped up a little, a sprint to the next bend in the path. AJ was right behind her, but didn't even try to get ahead. Dash was starting to get suspicious that the earth pony was up to something.

“You're losing your touch. I've been in the lead this whole run!”

“It's that pacin' thing Twilight told us 'bout. I'm lettin' you wear yourself out, but I still got some speed in me.”

“Yeah, right.” Dash smirked, and waved the end of her tail in AJ's face. “I thought you weren't the type of pony to chase rainbows?

Dash could hear the smile in AJ's voice as she answered,“I guess I learned today that some rainbows are worth chasin'.”

Dash grinned over her shoulder, “Yeah? What happens if you catch one?”

“This.” AJ said with a burst of speed and a leap forward, tackling Dash. The two rolled a few feet, landing with Applejack on top of Rainbow Dash, pinning her to the ground.

AJ laughed, “You're good and caught now.” She kissed the pegasus on the lips, then the cheek, then down her neck.

Dash grinned and relaxed, “If I'd known this would happen, I'd let you catch me more often.”

Applejack smirked, “Let me catch ya? Ha!”

“You really think you could just tackle me like that? I totally planned this.” Dash knew that AJ's weight was more than enough to keep her on the ground, so she moved her forehooves behind her head and smiled like this was exactly where she wanted to be.

“Yeah? What's the next part of the plan, then?” Applejack teased.

“See what you'll do." She said casually. "More kisses would be nice.”

AJ laughed and kissed Dash's lips again, “You're a pain in my rump.”

“You love it.” Dash said with a teasing grin. But AJ didn't respond. She was just smiling down at Dash.

Rainbow Dash stared up into those big green eyes, and decided that they were probably the most beautiful thing in the world. Sure there were sunsets and gem stones and flowers and stuff, but none of those things had any feeling behind them. Dash felt like in those eyes she could see all of AJ's warmth and humor and affection, and that made them more beautiful than anything else.

“I love you, Rainbow Dash.”

Dash grinned. “I know. It's in your eyes. You have no poker face, you know that?”

Before AJ could say anything, Dash leaned up and kissed her. As their lips parted, Dash continued, “And I love it. I love you too, Applejack.”

Applejack smiled, but it turned quickly to a smirk. “Well now, if you think ya' can read me so well, I reckon ya' already know what else I was gonna say.”

Dash studied Applejack's face, with the teasing smile AJ was wearing there was no hint. But Dash wasn't about to admit that. “You love me and. . . you think I'm the most awesome pony in all Equestria?”

“I think you got the biggest head in all Equestria. But that wasn't what I was gonna tell ya'. This time, at least.” Applejack said, still smiling.

Dash shrugged, “Well, that's all I got right now. You'll just have to tell me.”

Applejack leaned down and whispered in Dash's ear, “I'm ready.”

“Ready? Ready for wha-” Dash said, then her eyes went wide as AJ nibbled her ear and she realized exactly what AJ was ready for. "Right now?"

"No, not now. We're in the middle of a path and the sun's still up. But maybe tonight-"

Dash shot out from under AJ and up into the sky. “YES! This pegasus is getting lucky tonight!

“Real romantic, Dash.” Applejack said, rolling her eyes.

“What can I say? I'm a charmer. That's why you love me, right?” She said, landing in front of AJ with a smile.

“Yeah, well, to be honest I dunno how lucky you're gettin', bein' as I never done this before. But you know I'll always do my best, and work hard 'til I get it right.” AJ said with a firm nod to her own statement.

Dash grinned, “It's been a while since I went all the way with a mare- well, another girl. But it's totally not that different from a colt. Just messier.”

“Dash, I meant I never done this before at all, with a mare or a colt. What we been doin' is the most I ever done.”

Dash stared at AJ, confused and a little surprised. “Wait. You're a virgin?”

AJ frowned a little, “Go on and laugh. I was just waitin' for somepony special to come along, somepony I was really in love with. Between what all we talked 'bout on the way home from Appleloosa, and what we found out today, and how I feel 'bout you, I reckon I'm ready now.”

Laughter was not on Dash's mind. It should have been, under any other circumstances if Dash had found out that AJ was a virgin there would have been hours of teasing. But right now, her brain was replaying the conversation so far, and coming back with one message that was ringing through her mind and drowning out everything else: You can not mess this up.

Dash's voice cracked as she asked, “Are you. . . sure you're a virgin?”

Applejack stared at her like she'd gone crazy, “Pretty darn sure.”

Dash nodded. “Right. I mean, you'd know. And you want to. . . with me?”

That made AJ chuckle. “Course I do. You been turnin' me on somethin' fierce since we first kissed. I just had to feel like it was more than that, like it was somethin' real.”

“Something real. . . right. I mean it is! This is totally real. And soon we're gonna make it really real. And. . . you don't need to worry, because I can take care of everything!” Dash pulled out every ounce of bravado she was capable of to make that sound like she was sure. She almost convinced herself.

Applejack just smiled with confidence. “I ain't worried, Dash. I love ya', and I trust ya'. So. . . do ya' wanna meet up tonight, or what?”

Dash considered that. Of course she wanted to meet up tonight, but where? Applejack lived with her family, and she couldn't very well come to Dash's place. Even if they got Twilight to use that spell, Dash didn't want her earth pony any more nervous than she had to be, and even if it was perfectly safe Dash could see how floating in the middle of the air might make somepony without wings a little tense.

There was the barn, or one of the far orchards at Sweet Apple Acres, but Dash didn't want AJ's first time to be like that, worried about bug bites or itchy hay or being caught by somepony. And Dash was still a little worried about being caught by Big Mac. Even though he hadn't said anything since their first date, Dash was pretty sure that if he caught her doing that to his sister, her wings were toast.

Finally, it came to her. A night fit for the two most awesome ponies in Equestria, and special enough to be AJ's first time.

Dash grinned. “No, not tonight. I think we should wait a little bit longer. Like, say, after the Grand Galloping Gala, while we're in Canterlot! It'll be so cool, we'll be staying at the palace, we'll look amazing. . . the perfect end to the best night ever!”

AJ smiled, “If that's what you want, Sugarcube. It does sound like a nice idea.”