• Published 5th Jan 2015
  • 1,873 Views, 103 Comments

CCC-Back Home Again - Fresnor



500 years is a long time to be gone. How will Equestria react to the not only the return of an old friend, but a race that had been lost for millennia.

  • ...
1
 103
 1,873

Reunion

I considered the ramifications of the situation as I watched the biped that had arrived as she glared at me warily while Twilight just stared at her in shock. I remembered enough of Twilight’s stories to recognize this figure as Sunset Shimmer, but as Twilight said there shouldn’t be wings or horns on their forms like there were. Looking at all the clothes on her, as well as the snow on the ground, I assumed the form wasn’t meant for the colder weather and seeing as Twilight’s clothes looked like and she seemed to be in shock it meant that I would need to initiate the conversation. “Well I can definitely see that you were a student of Princess Celestia; she had a reaction pretty similar to that when she first saw me.”

Sunset’s jaw falls open when I speak, as if she didn’t expect the words that came out of my mouth, and she was about to reply when she was suddenly tackled to the ground by Twilight. I was kind of expecting a reaction like that from Twilight as soon as I recognized the figure. Sunset was obviously not prepared at all for what was going on as she was sputtering nonsense until she finally was able to say something sensible. “How can you know the princess? That’s not possible unless the portal has…” Her eyes widen as she looks up at the statue we were standing in front of then back to the princess around her waist. “Princess Twilight?”

When she looks back at me I nod to her since Twilight is too busy crying to answer. Looking around the area I notice that the area is mostly empty still barring a couple shadowy forms I spot walking down the street. I do a double take at the figures and realize that they aren’t just shadowy figures but actual shadows. I toss up a shield around the statue containing the portal before turning towards the biped-unicorn hybrid. “Do you think we can take this somewhere a bit safer or defensible? I’d like to find out what is going on around here before I have to face those things again.”

Sunset looks me oddly for a moment before she sees what I’m looking at and motions back towards the building. She manages to get Twilight standing again and gets her walking into the building while I keep an eye on the creatures who for some reason were ignoring us. I still kept a close eye on them until we were inside the building and barred it behind us.

Once we were inside the building I took a look around to see that it was the school that Twilight had described before. There wasn’t as much damage in here like I was expecting from an invasion and I was even more curious about what was going on. Twilight was recovering by the time Sunset led her over to a bench against the wall and sat her down. “How are you still alive and why didn’t you keep writing to me in the journal this whole time?”

Sunset looked offended for a moment before she responded. “What do you mean I stopped writing to you? You were the one that stopped communication with the book years ago. And why wouldn’t I be alive after only six and a half years?” It was Twilight’s turn to look a bit offended though her jaw dropped when she heard how long it had been. I decided to interrupt before they started yelling at each other even more though.

“Twilight, I did tell you that there would be some unknown consequences because of the connection between the worlds being forced open by that book of yours. While I wouldn’t have predicted it, the fact that that amount of time has passed here while over six centuries have passed on our end is something that is possible.” I watch as Sunset’s knees fail her as she slides to the ground at my proclamation. “There are worse things that could have happened so this was rather lucky.”

Twilight turns to look at me and she gets a look of confusion on her face. “How would that explain the fact that I have my wings and horn now, and for that matter how is it that you haven’t changed into a human as well when we came through the portal?” I was about to say something but I was interrupted by Sunset who spoke as if in a daze.

“The wings and horns started showing up a few months since we last wrote to each other. At first it was just the Canterlot area but it soon started spreading further even with the government trying to stop it. All attempts to contain it just led to those they sent growing them, or at the very least gaining a tail.” I hadn’t noticed it before but she was right about the tail thing as well. She shook her head before standing up and leveling a glare at me. “Anyways since you can actually talk maybe you can tell me why those things that look like you are attacking us?”

I decide to start with the last question first since that was probably the most volatile one at the moment. “Those things that you saw are most likely what was left of my subjects that were killed by them when they nearly wiped out our race. Why they are here is one of the main things we came to find out after they came through the portal and we found that message.” My voice shook a bit when I mentioned what they were and Sunset’s gaze softened a bit after that.

“As for Twilight’s questions; I believe that I am unchanged as that poorly made portal had a spell that changed you into a compatible form that is in this world or the other. Considering that my kind were traveling to other worlds with different portals for such a long time that means that there are probably a few still alive in this world.” I actually brightened up a bit at the possibility of finding some more survivors out there somewhere. “As for why the humans are gaining pony traits I’m pretty sure that is Sunset Shimmer’s fault, at least for getting it all started.”

I toss a glance over at her and she looks both confused and offended by me blaming her. Twilight also looks shocked at what I said and tries to defend her friend. “Why are you blaming her for that? There’s nothing that she could have done that would have caused this.”

I just raise an eyebrow at her before remembering a phrase that came up in her story. “What happens when you bring an Element of Harmony into an alternate world? Especially one that originally has no magic?” Sunset looks as if I had slapped her as I say this and she starts to look a bit guilty as I continue. “Of course the Element alone would have taken centuries to progress things to this level; it’s the fact that the power from it was unleashed twice in a short amount of time.”

Twilight looks thoughtful for a moment. “That would explain how why my friends here were able to transform whenever they played music. But wouldn’t the presence of the Sirens have caused the same thing to happen as well? Their necklaces were also pretty powerful sources of magic from what I could tell.”

I just shake my head. “While I may not know much about them, from how you described them it sounds like those were more of a storage tool than anything. With no magic around they would have barely been much stronger than your average unicorn foal. It took the presence of actual magic from Equestria to turn them into any kind of a threat.” Twilight nods as she understands what I am saying.

Sunset looks up at me as something comes to mind. “How much further do you think these changes will go since you seem to be the expert here? Twilight knew nothing about the effects of the Element and what I could find only mentioned it granting a large amount of power so how did you find out about all this?”

I look over at Twilight to see that even she was looking interested in how I knew all this. “I think there are some books in the Sionnach library that explain it all, if we managed to save them at least. Some of it I also learned by watching it happen on other worlds over the past few centuries. Often enough the changes to the inhabitants stop as soon as they find a way to use the newly gained magic in some way so I don’t foresee anything else happening.”

Sunset Shimmer actually looks a bit relieved about there being no further changes, while Twilight’s eyes widen for some reason. “Wait, if you’re here Sunset, then does that mean the others…” She trails off as she turns wide-eyed to the other girl and my own widen as well when I realize why she is asking. I don’t know how I feel about meeting what are supposed to be identical copies of my old friends, but I felt that things might be even worse on Twilight’s end.

From the look on Sunset Shimmer’s face she only now realized the implications of the time difference. She looked at Twilight sadly though I could see a bit of warmth behind it as well. “Yeah, they’re here Twilight. Though you may want to brace yourself for when you see them since a couple of them were hurt. And…” She pauses for a moment before she sighs and continues. “I just hope you are ready to meet yourself.”

Twilight looks confused at her words though I could see her excitement over seeing them again. Her words, paired with what she said when we arrived, threw up some flags and I was really curious about how this situation would turn out. Still we couldn’t stop Twilight from wanting to see them once she learned that they were here so Sunset led us through the building. As we were walking I could hear voices from somewhere nearby though it seemed as if Twilight didn’t hear them until we were almost on top of them. It didn’t sound like there were too many, but from what I could tell there were more than just the five I was expecting though I couldn’t identify any of them yet.

We came up to a set of double doors when Sunset paused and looked back at us before she just shook her head and pushed them open. A few heads turned towards us when the door opened, a couple of them looking familiar, but it was the site of a certain rainbow colored head turning that caught my attention. Remembering Sunset’s reaction to me I put up a shield just as a precaution which was a good thing as she flew across the room in an attempt to tackle me as soon as she saw me.

I just look down at figure that was laid out on the ground after crashing into the shield comically. I turn to look at Twilight and Sunset with a raised eyebrow. “Well you are definitely right about how similar they are to the ones we knew. She’s definitely Rainbow Dash since I can’t think of many others with that look that would act before thinking.” I was about to say more but Twilight suddenly vanished from view in a flash of pink which could only mean one thing especially with the shout of “Twilight, you came back!” added in.

I look down at the mass of pink curls that must be the Pinkie Pie of this universe. Of course her yell brought the attention of most of the room as well as quieting down any conversations. Rainbow Dash was the first one to speak up as she tried to clear her head from her crash. “What are you yelling about Pinkie, Twilight has been here for a while now? And Sunset, why did you bring one of those…” She trailed of as she looked over and saw the form that Pinkie had tackled to the ground before she whipped her head towards another point in the room.

I followed her gaze and spotted a second Twilight Sparkle, this one without wings, who was watching us with her mouth wide open. Behind her I spotted a few more familiar forms that were soon charging over to join the pile on my Twilight, who was now in tears as she gripped Pinkie. Soon enough there was a group hug going on between the six while the rest of the room watched on in confusion.

I watched as the other Twilight slowly walked over as she rubbed her eyes while looking confused. I wasn’t the only one watching as Sunset was also keeping an eye on her and it looked as if she was about to step in when Twilight let out a yell. “What in the world is going on here!? How can there be another me, this is just impossible!?” The small reunion was interrupted by this as Princess Twilight stared open mouthed at this world’s Twilight Sparkle.

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: Twilight vs Twilight, who will come out on top?