• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 471 Views, 9 Comments

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Rises - Alphadude007



The Shadow has been freed. Sunset is at hand. As the Shadow readies his army, Canterlot prepares itself for war. But even as darkness advances, the Guardians of Light wait patiently for those that are to find them.

  • ...
 9
 471

Practical Solutions

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Rises

Chapter 6: Practical Solutions

-Malakh Kingdom: 10,000 Years Before Discord's Imprisonment-

The waves endlessly washed upon the pearly sands. The light in the sky shone softly on residents of the Malakh Kingdom, each of who were busy with their own duties. That is, except for one.

In the rear of his house, Morning Light sat on his abode's marble porch and watched the sea splash on the ground. It had been a full day since the meeting at the Apostolate and Morning Light still didn't feel any better about his proposal being denied. For the life of him, he couldn't figure out why the One agreed on Silent Night's proposal and not his.

"It is the One's decision, after all. No need to be so downtrodden about this," he told himself. He'd been telling himself such things ever since he woke up, but no matter how many times he said it, it still didn't feel right.

"Master Light?"

Morning turned his head to see a young amber-haired malakh looking concernedly at him.

"Ah, Abundance," Morning gave his servant a quick smile and gestured to the spot next to him. "Sit with me."

"Thank you, sir," Abundance replied as his thin legs carried him over to the spot to Morning's right. The two stared out at the ocean for a few moments with only the sounds of the soft sea breeze and the washing waves breaking the silence. "If I may ask, sir, is everything alright?"

Morning ran a hand through his swept-back black hair. "In all honesty, Abundance, no. Everything is not alright at the moment."

"Anything you wish to discuss, Master?"

Morning turned to look into the young lad's silver eyes. "I'm just disappointed in a choice someone made. They chose a probably less-thought out and more whimsical plan, rather than mine."

Abundance's eyes widened. "Does this have to do with the Apostolate meeting? But the One-"

"I know the One knows what's best," Morning interrupted. "Especially on matters concerning the Worship ceremony." The light-bringer paused to let out a contemplative sigh. "It just doesn't make any sense. Why not let us do some work in celebration of Him rather than have the One work for our amusement?"

Abundance. "I do not pretend to know the will of the One, Master, but I don't think you need to be so harsh on yourself about it. All the others' plans were rejected as well and, if I may be so bold, I do not hear about them being so upset."

"Well, I'm not the others." Morning huffed and folded his arms.

"If I may make a suggestion, why not get some rest, sir?" Abundance softly put a hand on his master's shoulder. "Try sleeping it off. I'm sure you will feel much better after a good nap."

A smile flickered across Morning's lips. "It's better than sulking here all day." He turned to Abundance. "Say, Abundance, why don't you go into town and fetch some groceries and maybe some goods for yourself while I sleep?"

Abundance shot up from the porch floor with an eager grin on his face. "Consider it done, master!" he said enthusiastically. "How long do you plan on resting?"

"Oh, about an hour or so, I won't be too long." Morning gestured with a wave. "Now off with you."

"Yes sir!" With that, Abundance strode from the porch and back inside the house to get his bag.

Morning grunted as he stood up and turned to walk back inside. As he walked through the rear archway, Morning heard the front door open and close. "That was fast," he said to himself. He could always count on Abundance to do what needed to be done. "Now then, to bed."


Morning didn't have any trouble falling asleep. A quick gulp of moonflower syrup always did the trick within a matter of minutes. But while he had gone to sleep, it wasn't the restful slumber he'd hoped for.


The dream began with Morning opening his eyes to see a vast desert before him. The hot wind blew sand and hair into his face as sweat began to bead his brow. The malakh held up a hand to shield his eyes from the blinding light above. What kind of light is this? he wondered. The light he gave to the Malakh Kingdom didn't give off this kind of choking heat. Morning scanned the arid horizon until he saw some sort of flickering light in the distance. Urged on by curiosity, Morning began walking towards the beacon. His feet and toes stung on the hot sand, but he pressed onward nonetheless.

Eventually, he was close enough to see that the light was simply a pool that was reflecting the light in the sky. As he drew near to its shore, he looked down into the pool. To no surprise, he saw his reflection gazing back up at him.

Suddenly, a soft hum filled the air. Morning looked around to find where the sound was coming from, but it seemed to be all around him. Moments later, the humming stopped, only for the sound of parting water to replace it. Morning turned back to see a strange black gauntlet rising out of the water.

You are better than them.

The voice sounded like the whispering of the wind as Morning's eyebrows furrowed at the gauntlet.

"How is this possible?" Morning's eyes stayed glued to the gauntlet that hovered over the water.

The fools think they can keep you under their thumb. Your plans and skills far surpass theirs. That is why they fear you, why they need to control you.

"You lie." Morning put aside any uncertainty in his mind and addressed the gauntlet. "I have my duty. I know my place. I am not better than anyone else in the kingdom."

But why not become so much more than a pawn? You know what you are capable of, yet you do not act on your wishes. Such ambition… yet no will to act upon it. Or is there?

Morning ground his teeth at the accusation. "I have ambitious plans, yes, but none are for my benefit alone. I seek to serve the kingdom and the One who presides over it."

Are your plans truly for others' benefits? Everyone seeks their own gain in one form or another. To claim altruism is outright dishonesty.

"No!" Morning clenched his fists. "You do not know me! You do not know my intentions!"

Then whom do you think you're speaking with? The gauntlet quickly pulsed a red aura and slowly began to levitate towards Morning. Surely you cannot believe you are speaking to another.

Morning tensed, as the gauntlet was now within arm's-reach.

Put me on, and I will show you the full extent of our abilities. Your authority, your brilliance… they will never be questioned again.

Morning kept his hands firmly at his sides as the gauntlet hovered expectantly before his chest.

"Well…" Morning considered. "I want to do my part for the kingdom. How can I do that if my proposals are denied?" He slowly took hold of the gauntlet. To his surprise, it was lighter than it looked. He put a finger on the inside fabric of the gauntlet and traced a finger over it. He gasped at the sensation. It felt smoother than the richest silks in the kingdom.

Tentatively, Morning narrowed his hand and slowly slid it through the opening. The softness of the fabric's touch eased his tension as he fit the gauntlet over his forearm.

Good, the gauntlet soothed. Now look into the pool and behold your power.

Morning looked down as he was told. What he saw took his breath away. Jutting from his forehead was a sharp dark grey horn.

He recoiled from the spring. "What did you do to me?" Morning cried.

Not what I did, the gauntlet corrected. What you did.


Morning woke up in a cold sweat. He instantly reached to his forehead to see if the horn was still there. To his relief, his hand only met skin.

"Just a dream," he assured himself as he rubbed his eyes. The silence of the house meant that Abundance hadn't returned yet. Probably for the best that he doesn't see me like this.

Morning kicked his feet over the side of the bed and planted them on the floor. He put his face in his hands and sighed. Just a dream.

-Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville: Present Day-

All was quiet in Sweet Apple Acres' usually busy apple orchards. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves on the trees while apples remained unbucked from their branches. There were no storm clouds in the sky, yet nopony was outside.

A lone cerise earth pony with a two-tone purple mane trotted up to the silent farmhouse. They must be scared too. Can't say I blame them, she thought.

The loud gonging sound had the entire town on edge. Whatever ponies didn't hole up in their homes out of fear had gone to town hall to figure out what was going on.

Cheerilee approached the wooden door, raised her hoof and knocked firmly on the door.

"Who is it?" an elderly voice asked from inside.

"Granny Smith? It's me, Cheerilee," the schoolteacher responded. "May I come in?"

A brief silence followed as Cheerilee waited. Moments later, the door swung open to reveal a rather tense Granny Smith. The elder pony relaxed at the sight of the teacher and flashed a smile at her.

"Sure thing, honey. Come on in." Granny stepped aside and let Cheerilee walk through the doorway.

"Thank you so much," Cheerilee said with a smile as she walked into the farmhouse atrium. Her eyes took in the room's environment. There was the wooden rocking chair in the corner with overhead lamp behind it, the rustic circular carpet that lay on the floor and the small pedestal table with a framed portrait that sat atop. Under different circumstances, Cheerilee would have happily relished in the rustic atmosphere. "Is Applebloom home? I'm trying to make sure all my students are alright after whatever that sound was earlier."

"I'm here, Miss Cheerilee." Both Granny and Cheerilee looked up towards the stairs to see Applebloom slowly making her way down the steps. "I thought I heard ya talking with Granny down here. Is this about the homework assignment I haven't turned in yet?"

"You haven't done what, now?" Granny asked, suddenly attentive to Applebloom's lack of completing schoolwork.

"It's okay, Applebloom," Cheerilee assured. "I'm just making sure that everypony's alright. How are you feeling?"

"Kinda nervous. Does anypony know what that strange sound was?"

"Big Mac and a bunch of other ponies are trying to figure that out, young'un," Granny replied. "No need to worry."

"Well that's a relief to know," Cheerilee said with a halfhearted smile. "Well I'd best be going. There are a few more students I need to check up on."

Applebloom watched as her teacher turned to leave. "Miss Cheerilee, have you been able to see if Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are okay?"

Cheerilee turned her head to face the filly. "Yes I have, and they're both fine. Just a bit concerned like you, Applebloom."

"Granny," Applebloom began to ask. "Think me and the crusaders can have an emergency meeting in the clubhouse?"

"No sirree, little filly," Granny replied, much to Applebloom's disappointment. "You ain't going anywhere until this issue is resolved."

"Well then, I'd best be off. Nice to see you again, Granny Smith," Cheerilee waved goodbye as she exited the farmhouse.

Granny Smith turned to Applebloom with narrowed eyes. "So, you said what about your homework earlier?"

Applebloom gulped and tried to give an innocent smile in reply.

-Town Hall, Ponyville-

"Calm down, everypony! Calm down!" Mayor Mare looked down from her podium at the small horde that had gathered in Town Hall.

A pink mare with a curled light green mane and tail with matching eyes, Daisy, spoke up. "Mayor, do you have any idea what made that sound?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, I'm afraid," the mayor answered.

"Does anypony know where Princess Twilight and her friends are?" a light grey mare with a more finely styled mane and tail asked. "Maybe they know something about what's been going on."

"Miss Octavia, if I knew, then I would've asked them to be here with us right now."

"I might know something," a deeper voice said from the back. All heads turned to see Big Macintosh. "My sister said something about going to Canterlot earlier this morning before breakfast. However, she didn't say what for, exactly."

"If they've gone to Canterlot, that must mean the Princesses are involved!" another stallion, this one a light brown with a spiked back darker brown mane, shouted.

Like a floodgate, the worried speculations burst forth from the crowd.

"Could it be something that involves all of Equestria?"

"Are any of us safe?"

"Who's going to protect us if no one can use the Elements of Harmony?"

"Should we send the foals away until this blows over?"

"Everypony just shut up!" The room went dead silent as everyone's attention turned to Mayor Mare, who by now was blushing from her own outburst. "Forgive me, that was uncalled for. But we cannot lose our heads before anything happens."

"I say evacuate the town," a posh voice suggested. A few heads turned towards Filthy Rich as he continued. "Have all the store owners pack up their goods, all the others start packing essentials. My store can provide whatever survival equipment anypony needs."

Several groans were heard at the comment with one pony outright booing the proposal.

"His plan is not entirely bad," Mayor Mare said, much to the surprise of many in the room. "Evacuation is probably the best option we have, but it is not one that we will take preemptively. Unless we know of a clear and present danger, we will stay here and conduct business as usual."

"But what about our homes? Our businesses?" a concerned Carrot Cake asked. "We can't give those up so easily."

"Maybe so, Mr. Cake," the mayor said with a twinge of sympathy. Ponyville had been her home and career as well. Leaving it would be the last thing she wanted to do. "But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. Whatever is going on, I'm sure the Princesses and the Element-bearers can handle it. If that's the case, then we can stay right here without any worry of leaving. But if things turn for the worse, we will have to evacuate the town for our own safety."

"And it's not like we'd be leaving forever," Big Macintosh spoke up again. "I'm with you, Mr. Cake. I don't wanna leave my home and place of business, but if we have to, then I wouldn't hesitate. Besides, leaving is just to make sure all of us pony-folk are okay until whatever happens is over. We'll just come back to Ponyville and go on with our lives as if nothing happened."

Small talk of agreement reverberated through the crowd. Even Mr. Cake and Mr. Rich nodded their heads at what the farmpony said.

"So I trust we have reached an agreement?" Mayor Mare asked the crowd. The nodding of heads and the chorus of 'mm-hmm's' heard from the ponies were enough of an answer. "Well then, by majority decision, Ponyville will evacuate should the need to do so arise. Until then, we will continue with business as usual. And a quick note, I would like Macintosh Apple, Carrot Cake, and Filthy Rich to meet in my office this time tomorrow afternoon. Having said that," Mayor Mare said as she stomped a hoof on her podium to imitate a gavel strike. "This meeting is adjourned."

Author's Note:

Man, it's been too long since I posted a chapter for this. Hope you all like the story so far and be sure to leave some feedback!