• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 471 Views, 9 Comments

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Rises - Alphadude007



The Shadow has been freed. Sunset is at hand. As the Shadow readies his army, Canterlot prepares itself for war. But even as darkness advances, the Guardians of Light wait patiently for those that are to find them.

  • ...
 9
 471

Royal Inquiries

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Rises

Chapter 3-Royal Inquiries

-Canterlot, Equestria-

Twilight looked up at ceiling of Canterlot Castle's grand entrance hall. The marble pillars stood tall like unmoving guards over the white-and-periwinkle checkered floor. Intricately designed rugs and flawlessly clear windows only added to the royal grandeur of the hall. Twilight had seen this room so many times during her studying days, yet she never fully appreciated such opulence until she had been away from it for so long.

Well, it's not like I've been gone for very long. Twilight rolled her eyes in amusement at the thought. Last time she'd been in these halls was her alicorn coronation ceremony.

What was new to the atmosphere, however, was the drastic increase in guards that stood watch. A pair of golden-armored ponies stood at the ready every other yard along both walls. Even Shining Armor's wedding didn't have this much security detail. Twilight pursed her lips in thought as she scanned the lines of guards.

"Finally. Away from all those crowds," Rarity spoke up as she pushed a few loose hairs out of her eyes and back into her curly mane.

Rainbow Dash's eyebrow rose at the stylist. "I thought you were liked the bustling city, Rarity."

"There are bustling cities," Rarity retorted with a huff. "And then there are hordes. What we just endured, my dear, was a horde."

Applejack gave her unicorn friend a shrug. "Well, at least we made it."

"Twilight!"

All seven heads turned towards the end of the entry hall to see an armor-clad Shining Armor trotting up to them.

"Shining! How's it going, bee-bee-bee-eff-eff?" Twilight greeted with a smile. To her dismay, Shining did not reciprocate her happy attitude.

"What are you doing here? Don't you know what's going on?" Shining Armor inquired.

"Not really," Twilight replied. "We did hear about something called the Citadel Initiative, whatever that is."

Shining's facial features hardened. "Then for your own safety, you and your friends have to get out of here."

"What?!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "But why? Think of all the parties we could be missing out on if we left!"

"I concur with Pinkie Pie," Rarity spoke up. "Aside from the partying, that is. But we are not leaving this castle until we find out what's going on."

Shining Armor's eyes darted back and forth as he considered his options. Finally he closed his eyes and gave a conceding sigh. "Fine. But as soon as you know what's happening, then you seven are to get out of Canterlot as soon as possible."

"We promise." Twilight looked back at her friends and they nodded in agreement. "If we are able, might we see Princess Celestia and Princess Luna?"

"I'd imagine they are incredibly busy at the moment, but I will go ahead and see if they'll admit you into the throne room." Shining turned around and marched towards the throne room entrance on the far end of the hall with the others close behind. As the group approached the doors of the throne room, multiple voices could be heard from the other side, many of them sounding impatient or angry.

"Just give me a moment." With that, Shining cracked the door open as quietly as he could and walked in.

"But my stock will take days to move, your Highness!" one voice said in a frustrated tone. "I won't be able to get out in time for deadline."

"Then I recommend you leave behind your stock," a firm-sounding Princess Celestia responded. "It's either your life or your business, Mister Bushel."

A moment of silence pervaded the conversation.

"As you command, your Highness," Mr. Bushel said snidely.

Several pairs of eyes widened as Twilight and her friends listened in.

"That wasn't very nice," Fluttershy quietly commented.

"Yeah. What's that pony's problem?" Rainbow agreed.

The group of seven backed away from the doors as angry hoof clomps got nearer and nearer to the door. One of the doors flung open as an enraged melon orange unicorn with a straight leaf green mane and tail exited the throne room in a huff.

"So unfortunate that some value their business over their well-being," Celestia commented morosely. "What is it you need, Captain?"

"My sister and her friends seek an audience with you, Princess," Shining said.

"They may enter if they wish," Celestia called towards the door loud enough for the group of friends to hear her. Celestia's features lightened upon seeing the company of seven enter into the throne room from behind the door.

"Thank you for allowing us to speak with you, Princess." Twilight said as her friends bowed to the solar princess.

"I always have time for you and your friends, Twilight," Celestia smiled at the seven. "Now what is it you require?"

"We are wondering as to what exactly is going on here," Twilight stated bluntly.

"Yeah," Spike interjected. "What's with the huge crowds throughout the city?"

"We heard something about a Citadel Initiative, but that doesn't tell us a darn thing," Applejack added.

"And where's that huffy pony's food cart?" Pinkie asked. A few confused gazes turned in her direction. "What? I only had a few cupcakes on the train on the way here!"

Princess Celestia chuckled for a moment at the party pony's inquiry. "To answer your first question, I will fill you all in on the plan of action termed the Citadel Initiative."

"That doesn't sound very fun," Pinkie commented. "Sounds official and strict," she said in a lowered voice to imitate a commanding officer's.

"That's because it is, Miss Pie." Celestia rose from her throne and descended the steps to the ponies' level. "The Citadel Initiative is a safeguard should Canterlot come under a foreseeable threat."

"So why wasn't the Citadel Initiative ordered during the changeling attack?" Rainbow Dash asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"To Queen Chrysalis' credit, she did manage to sneak into the inner-most sanctum of Canterlot undetected. None of the Canterlot guard nor myself or Luna saw her as a danger until it was too late," Celestia said as she turned her head to Shining Armor. "Thankfully, Shining Armor and Princess Cadence's love was able to blast them out of the city before the situation worsened."

Shining gave a short bow. "Nothing a guard wouldn't do for Equestria's defense, your Highness."

Rarity rubbed the bottom of her chin. "So what is the Citadel Initiative, exactly?"

The princess turned back to the group in front of her. "Simply put, a mass evacuation of all civilians and a call to all reserve guards to rush to Canterot's defense. With all non-combative ponies gone from the city, Canterlot becomes a fortress against attack, or, in other words, a citadel."

"That's actually part of the reason we came here, Princess," Fluttershy said.

Celestia's brow rose for a moment. "Oh? Then what reason do you have for being here?"

"We've solved a few o' the riddles we've been given," Applejack answered. "We were hoping that you'd be able ta help us out with what we've figured out, and what we haven't."

Celestia's face took on a determined look. "Then let's be off. We must discuss these-"

The doors at the end of the throne room burst open to reveal a panting white unicorn guard in golden armor. "Princess!"

All heads in the room shot towards the guard.

"What is it, Private Ivory?" Celestia inquired.

"We've hailed a balloon to land in the castle's courtyard. The balloon had several occupants when it landed."

The princess' eyebrows knit together. "Are they here to assist with the evacuation?"

"I'm afraid not, your Highness. Of the three in the balloon, the first was a unicorn by the name of Trixie Lulamoon."

"Trixie?" The Elements of Harmony bearers asked simultaneously.

"What's that braggy-mcbraggypants doing here?" Pinkie demanded in a slightly grumpy tone.

"I don't know, but the other two others in the balloon are changelings," The guard continued, much to the surprise of everyone in the room. "One female, the other male. They say they seek an audience with you and Princess Luna."

Celestia looked down at Twilight and her friends. "We will discuss this later. Feel free to stay here in the castle. I will order accommodations to be made." She turned back to the guard. "Where are these changelings right now?"

"In the dungeons, your Highness," Ivory answered. "We arrested them and placed them in cells as soon as they got here. Princess Luna is outside the dungeons and is waiting for you."

Changelings, Celestia thought with malice. They have some nerve to show up here. "Very well. Take me to them."

-Concordia, Eastern Griffon Kingdom-

King Midas grimaced from his throne while his claws toyed idly with his signet ring. The golden emblazoned eagle on the ring tumbled about in the king's palm while its owner pondered his current situation. His kingdom was on the brink of war with his griffon neighbors to the west, no thanks to the power-mongering politicians in the courts.

Who do they think they are? Stirring up chaos with whispers of western treachery. If I had my way I'd execute the lot of them. But to do such a thing would mean nation-wide revolt. The griffons those courtesan-purchasing leeches represent would not be too happy if the politician they voted for were to suddenly lose his or her head.

Midas let out a small sigh of discontent as a steel-armored guard entered through the single gold door on the other side of the throne room.

"Your Highness," the guard declared with a bow. "Two griffons seek an audience with you. They refuse to leave the palace until they are granted their request."

"Let them come." Midas motioned a claw towards himself. "Do you know as to why they wish to see me?"

The griffon guard shook his head. The faint rattling of the reflective helmet bouncing off the guard's head amused the king, somewhat. "No, sire. However, they do have an object under a tarp. When asked as to what it was, they said it was for your eyes only."

King Midas' eyebrow rose. "Hmm. Secrecy. I could use a good guessing game as to their intent. Let them pass." He watched the guard turn to leave the throne room. "Oh, and guard, what is your name?"

The griffon's helmet sloshed about on his head as he turned his head to face the king. "Private Hawk, your Highness."

Midas' amber beak split into a smile. "Well, Private Hawk, tell the armory quartermaster to find you a tighter helmet. If he objects, say that I sent the request."

The guard replied with a smile of his own and gave a short bow. "Thank you, Your Highness." With that, he turned and left through the doorway.

A few moments later, two griffons entered the throne room. The black-furred female walked before the brown and black speckled male, who was carrying some sort of tarp-covered object on his back, along with a satchel that was looped around his neck.

The griffon king's eyes narrowed in contemplation at the two visitors as they bowed before him. "Rise." Midas elevated the palm of his claw, and the griffons obeyed his order.

"King Midas," the female addressed confidently. "My name is Gastrapheta. This is my partner, Heron Gullwing. Given the tensions between the Eastern and Western Griffon kingdoms, I can imagine that war is a possibility that has been taken into your consideration."

Midas nodded. "Your assumptions are correct, miss Gastrapheta. But what does this have to do with your appearance before me?"

"We do not wish for conflict, either, Your Highness, however, should war ignite between our two countries, then it might help if we had a technological advantage on our side."

The king's olive green eyes narrowed at the pair whilst he stroked the bottom of his beak. "And what is this technology you speak of? If you do not desire civil war, then why create a technology such of a kind that would be used in battle?"

"It is always a positive aspect to be prepared for any given situation. Wouldn't you agree?"

Midas nodded. "Very well. What is it you wish to show me?"

Heron reached an arm behind his back, grabbed the covered object and laid it on the marble floor. "Your Majesty, should war arise, this invention will revolutionize long-range warfare. We give you…" Heron threw off the tarp to reveal the invention. "The crossbow."

The king scrunched his eyebrows at the device. It looked like a bow mounted on top of an elongated wooden block with some sort of rectangular hole cut out of the middle of it. On the sides near the front were two angular devices that were connected to the bowstring at the head of a narrow slit that lined the sides of the crossbow. Finally, on the underside was a thin curved piece of wood protruding from the thinned-out rear of the device.

"Intriguing," the king said, much to Gastra and Heron's excitement. "But I fail to see its practicality as a tool of distance warfare."

Gastra held up an outstretched claw. "Ah, but there is more to the crossbow than meets the eye. Heron, load an arrow into the crossbow."

Upon his partner's order, Heron opened the satchel around his neck and pulled out a rectangular wooden block and an iron-tipped arrow.

The king watched in curiosity as Heron pushed the arrow against the springs inside the block until the arrow was locked just inside the block. Heron positioned the crossbow at his chest, then took hold of the angled grips and pulled the bowstring back until it was held in place by a single hook-like device. Heron then pushed the open end of the wooden block through the bottom opening in the middle of the contraption. A click sounded from the crossbow as the block was inserted all the way. The arrow appeared in firing position in front of the bowstring.

"The arrows are fed into the crossbow by what we call a magazine," Gastra explained as she pointed to the block at the bottom. "A magazine can hold up to seven arrows and is easily portable. Much more so than a quiver. Give a griffon archer three magazines and he could hold more than twice the amount of arrows most archers utilize in a battle. In addition to this, our crossbow can fire faster, hit harder, and reload faster than most griffon archers can shoot. A fresh recruit would be able to challenge even the most experienced of archers within two weeks of being acquainted with this weapon."

Midas' eyes scanned the crossbow. "But how does it fire the arrows?"

Gastra and Heron exchanged a look. "Umm, your Highness, would it be appropriate if we discharged the weapon inside the throne room? It's not exactly a firing range."

Midas stood up from his throne, the pair of griffons' eyes widening at the sudden move. "It is alright, Gastrapheta. I am merely searching for a good target." The king paced the wall of the room and glanced at each of the busts of griffons that stood on guard at the foot of the walls. "Aha!" Midas pointed to a bust of a stern-looking griffon with swept back head feathers and a small crack on the top of his beak. "Here you go. Take a shot at Senator Broadwings."

Gastra's eyebrows rose as the king returned to his throne. "Uh, your Highness? He's my regional representative in the senate."

Midas waved his hand dismissively. "He commissioned a new bust of himself to be erected a few weeks ago. It'll be received within a few days. Besides, it's not every day you get to deface a government figure's image without consequences. Especially in the presence of your king."

Heron gave a shrug as he held up the crossbow's sights to his eye. "Well, I don't have a problem with it. Prepare to be impressed, Your Majesty."

"I'm looking forward to it," Midas said as he folded his claws expectedly.

Heron looked down the pair of rear sights and aligned them with the single front sight. Senator Broadwings' face was going down. Heron grinned as he pulled the trigger.

Nothing happened.

Heron looked down at the weapon for a moment and realigned the sights. He pulled the trigger again. Still nothing.

What the-? What's going on? Heron's heartbeat suddenly doubled as he kept pulling the trigger, only for Broadwings' stern visage to remain intact.

"Having problems, are we?" King Midas questioned.

"Oh, I'm sure it's nothing, your Highness," Gastra was quick to say as she hurried over to Heron. "What are you doing?" she hissed.

"I'm pulling the trigger but it's not working," Heron whispered back.

"Did you make sure the string isn't too lax?"

Heron nodded in reply.

"Is the magazine correctly loaded?"

"You saw me load the damn thing," Heron quietly defended himself through a clenched beak. "I did everything all right."

"Did you turn off the safety?"

"I would think I'd know if I turned off the safe-" Heron's claw flew over the safety switch next to the trigger and felt it turn from its previous position. His eyes slowly crept towards Gastra's. The rage-filled look she was giving him made his gaze shoot straight back to the sights' alignment.

Gastra turned to give the king a smile as she gave Heron some space to shoot. "Just forgot to turn off the safety, your Highness."

King Midas gave a short chuckle. "Ah. Well then, commence with the destruction of the senator's bust."

Okay. Let's do it right this time. Heron shouldered the weapon, lined up the sights and pulled the trigger.

Thnk! The crossbow's string shot forward and propelled the arrow towards the bust. The arrow bounced off the statue's eye and dropped to the floor. The bust tumbled off the pillar and crashed to the ground.

The king clapped his claws as stone chunks flew across the floor as the bust collided with the marble floor. "Excellent work, you two. This… crossbow, as you called it, certainly has potential. If you wouldn't mind, I would like the blueprints and the model of your crossbow for future testing. In exchange for the designs, you both will be granted a patent for the crossbow's design as well as a percentage for all the weapon's sales."

Heron and Gastra immediately looked at each other and swapped elated grins.

"What's ours is yours, King Midas." Gastra said with a quick bow. "We will get you the designs by tomorrow morning."

"Good," Midas said with a nod. "However, there is one more thing I ask of you."

"Name it, sir."

"That you tell no one of what transpired here," Midas' tone turned serious as he spoke. "Your invention must remain a secret. Should war break out, then we could not allow the Western kingdom access to this technology."

Heron nodded. "We won't say anything if you won't."

"Excellent," Midas said. "You two are free to go. I look forward to seeing your blueprints in the morning. Remember, no one can hear even the slightest whisper of what occurred here."

Gastra linked two claws together in the shape of an o and traced them across her mouth. "Our beaks are sealed, your Highness."

"Very good. Now go. I have more meetings to attend to," Midas dismissed.

Author's Note:

Well... this chapter certainly took longer to be released than I intended. :facehoof: Oh well. Anyway, I hope you guys liked the chapter! Review/critique and I look forward to your feedback.