• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 4,140 Views, 107 Comments

The Half Changeling: Isabella's story - Sdlghskjvnkj



Isabella, a half changeling has been cut off from her food. She must find a new way to feed

  • ...
14
 107
 4,140

Discoveries, Good and Bad

Isabella opened her eyes to find her self standing in darkness. She recognized this feeling. She began to move and the small chain of light that connected her to Big Macintosh appeared. She followed it, but she was walking for several minutes before Big Macintosh appeared before her. She knew what would happen now. She reached out a hoof and pushed it through his chest, or rather, she tried to, but this time her hoof made contact with his chest. She looked up into his face to see him smiling, not smugly, but kindly, down at her.

She blinked as he reached out to take hold of her. She recoiled only slightly, but relaxed as his hooves wrapped around her. It was a strangely calm feeling, unlike anything she had ever felt before. He just held her close and she let herself be held like a child.

After what seemed only a few minutes but what could have been an hour or more, Big Macintosh set Isabella down. She reluctantly took her feet as she watched him stand and begin to walk away.

She tried to follow him, but she couldn't move for some reason.

"Wait! Don't leave me!" she yelled after him. She tried to lift her hooves, but they seemed to have become cemented to the ground.

He continued to walk, and soon, he disappeared. She gasped and felt her heart almost stop. The small cord of light connecting them had disappeared. She felt hollow. Completely empty.

She felt her eyes begin to sting and she shut them tight as she strained against the force holding her down. It was a moment before she realized the reason her eyes stung was because she was crying. The tears rolled down her face. She did not care. She had to get back to Big Macintosh!

Suddenly, her eyes snapped open. She saw Big Macintosh leaning over her, fear and concern on his face. Her heart was beating insanely and she could feel the tracks the tears had made down her face. Her throat was raw as if she had been screaming. She could feel the connection. It was still there and it was still the same size as it had been. Nothing had changed.

For a moment, she simply looked up at Big Macintosh before she sat up and hugged herself to him, sobbing into his chest. She felt his arms wrap around her as he began to rock back and forth, whispering quiet words of comfort to her.


They ate the breakfast of apples and velvets the Big Macintosh had prepared in silence. Isabella was still thinking. Why had she had such a horrible dream? It must be related to the connection she and Big Macintosh shared. But the link was made from Big Macintosh's love. Why would it create something so terrible in her mind? But if it was born of the connection, and she was correct about it linking her mind with Big Macintosh's, then he would have felt something similar.

"Macintosh?" said Isabella, breaking the silence.

"Hm?" Big Macintosh had been reading the book Isabella had been browsing through the other night.

"Did you have a dream last night? Or rather, a nightmare?"

Big Macintosh looked at her perplexed for a moment then arched his eyebrow and frowned up at the ceiling. He was obviously trying to remember it. After a moments silence, his eyes grew big and he blushed. He opened his mouth, then shut it, then opened it again, only to shut it once more.

"Uh... Nope." was all he said before quickly looking back down into the book.

Isabella narrowed her eyes. She wasn't an idiot. It was more than obvious he was lying, but she decided not to pursue it.


When they had finished breakfast, Big Macintosh grabbed a few things from the back room and reemerged with a satchel on his back. He walked up to Isabella and handed her a small bag filled with bits. She looked up at him, rather confused.

"Whats this?" she asked him.

"That's yer pay. Ya took care of most of the shack and ya deserve something fer it." he said, smiling down at her.

"I can't take this. You're already letting me live here." she protested, trying to give him the money back, but he refused.

"Ah'm letting ya stay cause Ah want to. Ye obliged me when you cleaned the shack and did a right good job of it. Ya deserve some payment." he said, walking to the door and holding it open for her.

Isabella rolled her eyes and smiled as she stepped outside into the sunlight. Big Macintosh closed the door and led her to the left, back towards the farm house. When they walked past the house, Granny Smith waved at them and Applebloom yelled 'Hey y'all'. Isabella and Big Macintosh waved as they walked past and began to follow the road that led from the farm house.

Several minutes later, Isabella could see a clock tower come into view, then houses and stores started to appear. They stepped over a small bridge and finally entered town. There were all sorts of ponies here. Unicorns, pegasi, earth ponies. Some were big, others small. Isabella saw a vivid pink pony with bouncing curly hair jumping around rather than walking, and she saw a orange filly with violet spiked hair zooming around on a scooter. The diversity was amazing. Even in Canterlot there hadn't been this much variety. Most ponies just wore what seemed to be 'in fashion' and therefore all managed to look about the same.

"Wow." she said, still looking around.

"This here is Ponyville. Ah know a lot of the folk around here." he said smiling and waving at the pink bouncing pony.

The pony waved back, did a double take, and seemed to teleport to them. Isabella's eyes went wide and she brought her head back as the pink pony brought her face within an inch of her own. It was a mare, and her light blue eyes seemed to gleam with a strange light. Moments later, the mare's face split into a huge grin as she said "Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie! What's your name?"

Isabella blinked. She was flummoxed. She had never been greeted by a pony like this before. She stepped back, but the pony followed, still beaming. Big Macintosh stepped in and said "Pinkie. Step back just a bit. She needs her space."

The mare obliged, the smile never slipping or fading in the slightest as she backed up and sat down.

"Uh, I'm Isabella. I take it your name is Pinkie Pie?" she said making sure she had the name correct.

It seemed impossible, but the mare's smile got even wider as she turned to Big Macintosh, "She's from Canterlot isn't she? She makes me think of Rarity and Twilight."

Big Macintosh was about to respond when Pinkie Pie gasped hugely, turned to Isabella again, and said "You just have to meet them! I know you don't know them because you're new here. I know you're new because I know every pony in Ponyville, and I don't know you yet, so that means you're new here. I'll go and tell them to expect you today! Big Mac! Make sure to take her by the library and the dress shop to meet them. See you guys later!", and with that, she turned and dashed away.

Isabella blinked, looked at Big Macintosh, blinked again and said "Uh.... wow?"

Big Macintosh simply shook his head and grinned. "That's Pinkie Pie for ya. If she doesn't throw ya a surprise party by the end of the day Ah'll be shocked."

"She's going to throw a surprise party for me?" asked Isabella, alarmed.

"Don't worry. It wont be too hectic. Sides, Ah'll be there ta keep an eye on ya, okay?" he said, reassuringly.

Isabella looked at him and smiled. As they continued walking, Isabella began to think. A party? For her? It would be the first time in her life she would have a party just for her. She felt giddy again. She was experiencing more things in a few days here than she had in thirteen years in Canterlot.

As they walked, Big Macintosh stopped at several stands, buying several different kinds of seeds, talking with other ponies, and introducing Isabella.

They were walking along when two pegasi landed in front of them.

"Hey Big Mac!" said the first one to land. It was a mare and she had a cyan coat and a rainbow striped mane and tail. The other landed next to her a little more delicately, but said nothing. She had a yellow coat and a pale pink mane and tail.

"Hello Rainbow Dash," said Big Macintosh to the cyan mare before turning to the yellow one, "Hi Fluttershy. How you doin'? "

'Fluttershy' didn't respond. She glanced at Isabella and Big Macintosh, then looked down at the ground, but 'Rainbow Dash' stepped forward and said "We're pretty good. I was just helping Fluttershy with something. Angel was sick today so we came into town to get some medicine. Who's your friend?". A small smirk crossed Rainbow Dash's face as she looked Isabella up and down.

"This is Ms. Isabella." said Big Macintosh, nudging Isabella forward slightly, before he turned to Fluttershy and said "Don't be rude. Say hello."

"Hey!" said Rainbow Dash, thrusting her hoof forward as Fluttershy mutter a quiet "Hello."

Once again, Big Macintosh brought a hoof out to lower Rainbow Dash's, but Isabella said "Please. I'm quite alright with greeting some one Macintosh. Thank you." she held out her hoof and shook Rainbow Dash's. "How do you do?" she said with a small smile.

Rainbow Dash smiled fully and said "This is Fluttershy. Her name already tells you what she's like. She doesn't take to new ponies very easily." She wrapped her foreleg around Fluttershy's neck and noogied her.

"Oh. Please don't Rainbow Dash." said Fluttershy, trying to pull away weakly.

Rainbow Dash let go of her friend and addressed Isabella. "So, are you living here now?"

She looked up at Big Macintosh , who nodded and spoke for her. "She's stayin with me. She had some family troubles back in Canterlot, so Ah've taken her in."

Rainbow Dash arched an eyebrow and said "Are you sure that's the only reason you took her in, Big Mac? She is rather pretty."

Rainbow Dash shrunk slightly under the look Big Macintosh gave her.

"Ah have no intentions of doing anything like ye where just thinking, Rainbow Dash, and frankly, Ah think you should feel ashamed for having such thoughts. She is my guest. Ah won't be makin' advances on an emotionally damaged mare." He said, his voice carrying a slight growl.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean... I was just... sorry." said Rainbow Dash, hanging her head.

Isabella shook her head and said "Macintosh. She was merely make jest to the fact that a single stallion such as your self was taking a, and I quote, 'beautiful' mare into your home. It is rather suspect." She smirked up at Big Macintosh, who blushed. Isabella was shocked at herself. She was speaking in defense of this mare she had just met. Had she really changed this much since leaving Canterlot?

"Ah... guess, when ya put it that way, yer right. Sorry Rainbow Dash." said Big Macintosh, scratching the back of his head.

Rainbow Dash's head shot back up, a new smile back on her face. "It's alright Big Mac. I know you're a protective type. I should have thought before I spoke. I'd love to stay and chat some more with you guys, but me and Fluttershy need to get that medicine for angel ASAP. Come on Fluttershy!" said Rainbow Dash as she darted away.

Fluttershy bowed her head slightly to Isabella and whispered "Goodbye. It was nice meeting you." before she flew after Rainbow Dash.

Isabella smirked after the two pegasi. They were actually rather pleasant, even if Fluttershy hadn't said more than two or three sentences the entire time. It was strange. The ponies here were so much more different than the ones in Canterlot. She could just 'get along' with these ponies, but the ones in Canterlot had always had mixed motives. Always trying to get something from her. These ponies just seemed to like anyone they met.

Big Macintosh looked down at Isabella and said "Have ya ever heard of a sonic rainboom?"

"Isn't that just an old mare's tail?" she asked him as they began walking again.

Big Macintosh laughed. "That's what everypony thought. That is, until they met Rainbow Dash. She's the fasted pegasus any one of us has known. She has proved on two occasions that the sonic rainboom isn't a myth. It's quite a sight. Ah'd ask her to show ya, but it takes some effort on her part, and she seems a bit busy today. Maybe some other time."

Isabella rolled her eyes. Why did he bother bringing it up if he thought she wouldn't have time to show it to anypony?

They continued to walk, and finally came to a large building that seemed to be carved into a living tree. A small sign outside the door depicted an open book. This was obviously the library. Big Macintosh opened the door for her and let it close as he stepped in behind her.

At first glance, the library was empty, but a few moments later, Isabella spotted a small violet and green reptilian creature standing on top of a ladder, trying to reach a book on a high shelf.

"Spike." said Big Macintosh.

The reptilian creature turned Its head and smiled at them. It was obviously male.

"Oh! Hi Big Macintosh. Twilight asked me to get this one book down, but I can't... quite... reach!" he said as he stood on his tip toes and scrabbled at the edge of a book before overbalancing and crashing to the floor.

Big Macintosh and Isabella trotted over to him quickly. He sat up and shook his head before glowering up at the ladder.

"Twilight needs to get me a new ladder sometime. I'm not tall enough to reach a lot of these books." said the little reptile.

"Well, maybe ye'll develop wings soon. Yer still just a baby dragon after all." said Big Macintosh.

Isabella raised her eyebrows. A dragon? In a city? That was something she had never seen before. But as Spike pushed himself up and brushed himself off, she could see he has indeed, a dragon.

"So who's your friend?" said Spike, looking up at Isabella. He raised his 'eyebrows' and she could see his eyes scanning over her face.

"My name is Isabella. I'm new here. I take it your name is Spike? And you're a dragon?" she said offering her hoof, which the little dragon took.

"Oh, yeah. You're surprised to see a dragon here?"

"Well," Isabella hesitated for a moment. She hadn't actually ever met a dragon, but she had read about them and heard stories. She had never actually seen a dragon. "I've never heard of a dragon living in a city, with ponies before. I must admit, it comes as pretty strange to me."

Spike laughed. "I didn't come here really by choice. I don't dislike living here, but I didn't come from a dragon colony. I was hatched by Twilight. It was her opening task for entering magic school, so I was pretty much raised by her. I'm the only dragon I've ever met that lived with ponies, so I don't think you'll meet many other dragons like me." he said smiling up at her and releasing her hoof.

A dragon born into the custody of a pony and acting as an assistant? The idea was strange to her, but she didn't dwell on it.

A moment later, a violet unicorn came down from the upper levels of the library, saying "Spike? Are you okay? Who are you talking... Oh! Hi Big Macintosh!" she stopped for a moment when she saw Isabella, then she smiled as she walked up to them. "Is this Isabella? Pinkie Pie stopped by earlier and told me to expect you two." she said as she approached Isabella.

Isabella noticed a shift in Twilight's eyes as she got closer and looked her in the face. It wasn't a look of malice, but of confusion, just for a second. Isabella tried to push that look out of her head, but that expression stayed burnt into her mind, even after Twilight began talking to Big Macintosh about something.

"So. Did you stop by just because Pinkie told you to, or did you want to borrow a book or two. You can never know too much." she said beaming at them.

"The reason Pinkie Pie figured you should meet Ms. Isabella was because she also hails from Canterlot." said Big Macintosh, breaking Isabella out of her cloud of thought.

"Really?" asked Twilight, "I don't think I've ever seen you there. Where did you live? In one of the small homes or up in an estate?"

Big Macintosh looked at Isabella with concern and then said "Isabella left under some very... poor circumstances. Ah don't think we should talk about it. But, yes Twilight, Ah would like to get a few books."

Twilight looked at Big Macintosh, back at Isabella, then back at Big Macintosh before she smiled and said "Alright. tell me what you need."

Isabella walked over to the window and looked outside as Big Macintosh began talking to Twilight about a few different books. Isabella began to lose herself in thoughts of the nightmare again when Spike appeared next to her.

"So... how long have you been here?" he asked.

"Only about six days. From what I've seen, it's much more pleasant than Canterlot. The ponies here are a lot less like they were made from a giant cookie cutter." said Isabella.

Spike laughed. "I guess you could say that. Wait till you meet Derpy. She's definitely not a cookie cutter pony."

"Isabella."

Spike and Isabella turned to see Big Macintosh holding the door open. "It's time to go. Ya gotta meet Rarity before we head back home." he said tilting his head toward the door.

Isabella said her farewells to Spike and stepped out the door. She noticed Big Macintosh didn't follow right behind her. As she turned around to see where he was she saw Twilight reach up to kiss him on the cheek.

Isabella never felt anything like what she felt that moment. A huge jolt in her stomach, rushing of blood to her cheeks, and a twinge of hatred for the violet unicorn. She turned away quickly and waited rigidly outside the door. What on earth was that feeling? She had held dislike for other ponies before, but this was completely different. She had had no qualms with Twilight, until the moment she saw her kiss Big Macintosh on the cheek.

When Big Macintosh joined her outside after closing the door behind him, he looked down at Isabella and asked "Are you alright?"

"Fine." she said walking off swiftly. She had no idea what direction the dress shop was in, but she didn't care. "I'm fine. Lets go see Rarity. I'm feeling tired. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner I can have a rest." she said as she put her nose in the air.

She was obviously heading in the right direction, because Big Macintosh fell into stride with her. They walked in silence for the longest time.

"You sure yer alright?" he asked again, after a few minutes.

"I'm fine." she said, a little more insistently this time. She did not want to talk about this with him. As far as she was concerned, he had lied to her about not having kissed any other pony. What was that she had just seen?

She felt his hoof on her shoulder and she spun around and glared up at him. He recoiled slightly, but did not take his hoof from her shoulder.

"It's obvious yer upset. Now tell me, truthfully. What's wrong?" he said, raising his eyebrows at her.

She opened her mouth, closed it, opened it, and closed it again. She didn't know what was wrong. She finally found something to throw at him.

"You told me you've never kissed anypony! You liar!" she yelled at him and turned her back on him, folding her front legs across her chest.

"Ah did not lie. Twilight is merely a friend." said Big Macintosh, trying to turn Isabella around again.

She did not budge as she said "Yeah right. I've never seen 'friends' kissing before."

Big Macintosh was silent for a moment, then she heard him chuckle. "Yer jealous."

Isabella turned to look at him. "I'm what?"

She had heard the term, but she didn't understand what it meant exactly. Big Macintosh simply grinned down at her for a moment with one of his eyebrows arched.

"Yer jealous. You think Ah like Twilight, and you resent that. You want me to like you." he said, smiling even wider at her.

Isabella's eyes grew wide and she blushed vigorously. Now that she thought about it, that was exactly what she had felt. She had never had that felling before and he not been able to recognize it.

"N-No! Don't be stupid! I am not! I just don't like to be lied to!" she yelled at him. She was obviously in denial, she knew that, but she could not accept that she had such feelings for him. She may respect Big Macintosh, but she would never believe she liked him. She was a princess. And he was a farm boy.

"Sure. Come on. We're almost to Rarity's" he said, a big smile still spread across his face.

As he turned to walk away, Isabella's pride got the best of her. She ran past him, ignoring his yells for her to slow down. She ran until she came to the first building that didn't resemble a house. She dashed inside, slammed the door, and slumped against it. She sighed to herself and just looked down at her hooves. The connection between them had obviously made her soft. She didn't want this.

"Are you sure about that?"

The little voice in her head was back. Why must it always come at times like this?

"I'm absolutely sure that I don't want this. I can't."

"But why not? You have matured. You can no longer draw love from others as you once did. He still has love for you."

"But that's the problem! What if he loves somepony else? Why give my heart to someone that has given theirs to someone else?"

"You heard him. He said he was only friends with Twilight."

"And we have a guarantee of that?"

"Excuse me." came another voice."But who are you talking to?"

Isabella looked up to see a white unicorn with exquisitely curled violet hair standing before her, smiling kindly down at her.

Isabella rubbed her foreleg over her eyes. She realized she had been speaking out loud. She grimaced and said "No one. I'm just talking to myself."

"Darling. Come with me." said the mare, holding her hoof out to Isabella. She took it without a word and followed the unicorn. The store that she had come into was filled with dresses and beautiful jewelry and accessories. It was a dress shop.

Isabella looked at the mare that led her and realized that this must be Rarity.

Rarity led her up a flight of stairs and into a comfortable looking room with several couches, each of which had several soft pillows upon it. Isabella was set down on one such couch as Rarity pulled, as if from nowhere, a pot of tea and two cups, which she filled and handed one to Isabella.

"From what I heard, you are having trouble with love. Am I correct?" asked Rarity.

Isabella simply nodded as she sipped the tea. It was warm and soothed her spirit.

"How many times have you experienced love, my dear?" Rarity queried, looking at Isabella over her cup of tea as she sipped quietly at it.

Isabella shook her head. Rarity's look of confusion bade her elaborate.

"I've never felt like this before. For anyone." she said, as she set the cup down.

"Never? You've never been in love? My goodness. Why is that?" Rarity set her cup down now too, obviously surprised by what Isabella had told her.

Isabella told the truth. "I never needed to."

Rarity looked at her in confusion before picking her tea back up and saying "Oh come now dear. A girl likes to be crossed in love every now and then. How could you have never needed to love?"

Isabella tried to think of an excuse.She wasn't going to say 'Oh, I'm just a half changeling'. She figured she might give another half truth. She was good at those.

"Well, it wasn't exactly a lack of need, it was just more that I couldn't find anyone I could really love." she said, shrugging slightly. Actually saying the word love was strange to her tongue, but she rolled with it.

"You lived in Canterlot for how long?" asked Rarity.

"About thirteen years." said Isabella, taking another sip.

Rarity's eyebrows rose quickly as she said "You mean to tell me you were there for thirteen years, and you never fell in love with some one?"

Isabella shook her head and took another drink.

"My goodness! How is that possible? I met someone I liked very much the first time I visited there."

"I guess they weren't my type." said Isabella simply. That was all too true. She had never felt any attraction to any of the ponies in Canterlot. They were all so bland and... bleh.

"Well, each and everypony to her own. But, you are in love at this point in time, correct?" asked Rarity, leaning forward.

Isabella hesitated, but finally admitted to Rarity and herself "Yes."

It was strange. Actually admitting to herself that she 'loved' this stallion. She never had loved and had never intended to, but Big Macintosh made her feel different. He was quiet, caring, strong, wasn't lazy, and with the connection between them, she could tell he felt for her. Even without the connection, she would have been able to tell after he had tried to kiss her.

Rarity clapped her hooves together and giggled as her eyes shone brightly.

"Good! Girls always need somepony to love! Who is he? I know most of the ponies around here and I should be able to help you make the proper moves to woo your man." said Rarity with a large grin on her face.

Isabella opened her mouth to respond when there was a knock on the door on the level bellow.

"Rarity! Rarity! Ah need yer help!"

It was Big Macintosh.Isabella didn't want to have to be confronted by him right now. She was still trying to process her own feelings for him and his presence wouldn't make it any easier. She looked at Rarity, pleading with her eyes. A look of sudden realization crossed Rarity's face and she nodded.

Isabella watched Rarity leave the room and perked her ears up, listening intently.

"Hello Big Macintosh. What seems to be the problem?"

"Pinkie Pie stopped by earlier correct?" Isabella assumed Rarity nodded, because Big Macintosh continued. "Well then you know ah was supposed to arrive with some one. We were talking and she got upset and ran off. Have ya seen her?"

"Well, that depends. What did she look like?"

"She has a gorgeous white coat, a beautiful midnight blue, wavy mane and tail, and violently green eyes. She's a little taller than you, has a long, lean face and slender legs. You wouldn't be able to miss her."

Isabella blushed. She didn't think he had payed that much attention to how she looked.Her ears perked up again as she heard Rarity speak.

"Well, that's certainly quite the description, Big Macintosh. Do you like this mare, or is she just a good friend of yours?"

Silence. Isabella strained her ears. Her breath caught in her throat and even her ears grew hot.

"She... shes just a friend." came the reply.

Isabella sighed and let her ears drop as she looked down at her hooves. She was just a friend. Nothing more. That was the end of it.

A moment later, Rarity stepped back into the room.

"What's wrong dear?" she asked.

"He was the one." she said, not looking up.

"You mean, he is the one."

Isabella looked up at Rarity, who was smiling widely at her.

"But... you just heard him say.."

"My dear, when you've seen as many love struck mares and stallions as I have, you can tell. He's insane about you. And you heard the way he described you. He obviously has taken a great deal of time to look at you. I can see why he's so taken with you and I've only been talking with you for about ten minutes." Rarity sat down across from her and tossed her hair lightly before she continued. "Now we just have to find a way to make him admit it. He obviously hasn't admitted it to himself or he would have said it outright. Big Macintosh isn't the kind to tell what he thinks is a lie. And you will have to admit to him that you love him back."

Isabella's looked at Rarity in disbelief.

"You're kidding, right?" she asked hopefully.

"Darling, please. You can't hope to go anywhere with this if you have an attitude like that. He like you, you like him. You must both confess to that if you want to be one." said Rarity, shaking her head in exasperation.

Isabella blinked. That was it? Admit to Big Macintosh she like him? Was this mare insane?


Isabella opened her mouth to say something, but stopped. She felt something. Something she hadn't felt since she was a child.

Rarity's face changed as Isabella felt her eyes widen.

"Are you alright?" asked Rarity as Isabella stood up.

"No time to explain! Something's not right!" yelled Isabella as she ran out of the room and down the stairs.

She heard Rarity follow her. She didn't mind. If what she felt was right, she was going to need more than a little help.

She ran outside and looked around. There were ponies all around, but Isabella could feel it. She didn't have to see them. She followed that tugging. She knew the feeling well, even having been separated from it for thirteen years.

Isabella skidded to a halt and stared. Big Macintosh was speaking to what appeared to be a normal pegasus. Her eyes narrowed and she lowered her head.

At that moment, Big Macintosh looked in her direction. His eyes grew wide and his ears perked up.

He trotted towards her and said "Isabella! I was so worried! Where did... you... Isabella? Are you alright?"

Isabella had not taken her eyes off the pegasus that had been talking to Big Macintosh. The stallion was smirking back at her.

"How did you find me?" yelled Isabella.

"I'm glad to see your senses haven't dulled over time... sister." said the stallion, his eyes gleaming maliciously.

"Answer the question, scum!" Isabella growled.

All the ponies in the area had stopped talking and had cleared out a small circle around the stallion and Isabella. Rarity and Big Macintosh stood next to Isabella.

"Sister? Who is this stallion, Isabella?" asked Big Macintosh, confusion thick in his voice.

"He's only a half brother, I'll explain later." Isabella, before she yelled "How did you find me?" again.

"We didn't. We were just looking for you, and you revealed yourself." said the stallion. It smiled wickedly as Its form began to shift.

All the ponies around screamed and began to run away as the stallion's coat became black. Its wings became insectoid and a sharp horn appeared on his head as Its hooves became riddled with holes. The last thing to change were the eyes. The pupils shrank until they disappeared and the color of the eyes became a deep and dangerous aqua.

Big Macintosh's mouth fell open and Rarity gasped.

"It's a changeling! I have to get the girls!" screamed Rarity as she turned and ran towards the library.

"What's a change..." started Big Macintosh.

He was interrupted as Isabella bellowed what sounded like a war cry as she ran forward. The changeling mirrored her and ran forward at Isabella. They collided, head to head, and the changeling bounced back. Isabella jumped onto her and began punching her across the face.

"Isabella! Look out!" yelled Big Macintosh.

She looked up and jumped to the side as a long javelin sank into the chest of the changeling stallion, who let out a hissing gurgle and went limp.

She grabbed the javelin and looked over to see who threw it. Two burly looking stallions stood glaring at her with nasty grins on their faces. A pegasi was hovering over them, and then changed, just like the other one had.

One of the stallions spoke in a high reedy voice. "Isabella! Sir Roderick and your own mother want your head! We can remove it here and take it back to them, or you can come with us and give it to them yourself!"

"What are they talking about Isabella?"

"She's a wanted criminal, big fella. Grab her for us, will ya?" called the other stallion. He had a very deep, guttural voice that made him sound like some one had beat him over the head with a frying pan when he was a baby.

Isabella heard Big Macintosh step forward behind her. She turned and looked up at him, but he wasn't looking at her. He was glaring at the other ponies. He stepped up next to her and continued to glare at them. They stood in silence like that for almost a full minute.

Suddenly, Big Macintosh grabbed the javelin from Isabella and flung it, straight and true, into the deeper voiced stallion's throat. He let out a horrible gurgle and a growl and hit the floor like a sack of flower.

"Now it's an even fight!" he bellowed at them.

Isabella felt the chain of light between her and Big Macintosh strengthen. She smirked to herself and then narrowed her eyes at the other ponies.

All was silent for a moment, then, as if they were given a cue, all four of them moved at once.

Isabella ran forward, jumped off the nose of the stallion, who tried to grab her, and air tackled the changeling. Big Macintosh ran up and wrapped his arms around the stallion and flung him to the side, before straddling him and beating him across the face. The changeling had Isabella by the mane, but she let go with a scream as Isabella bit her back leg.

Big Macintosh was pushed off as Isabella and the changeling wrestled across the ground, slamming each other into the ground. The stallion tried to step on Big Macintosh's throat, but was stopped as Big Macintosh punched him in the gut. He fell over, gasping for air as Big Macintosh stomped on his face.

Isabella forced one of her hooves in between two of the changeling's ribs and pushing as hard as she could. The Changeling screamed as she felt the cartilage connecting the ribs split and tear. She rolled away and quivered in pain, but Isabella was back on her in a moment, biting her ear.

"Stop!" came a shout from nearby.

Isabella pinned the changeling down and looked up.

Rarity had returned with Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack.

Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity ran over to stop Big Macintosh as Twilight sped over to Isabella.

Twilight summoned shackles and placed them around the changeling's wrists and ankles. Isabella was about to say 'thank you', when she was lifted in the air. He arms were held apart and he legs felt like they had huge weights attached to them. She couldn't move. She looked down in shock at Twilight, her horn glowing, and a partially frightened and partially stern look splayed across her face.

"What are you doing?!" Isabella screamed.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do, Isabella." responded Twilight.