• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 900 Views, 21 Comments

Prodigies: Virtual Defenders - Javelin Lightspear



Three teenage humans built a portal to a virtual reality fantasy world.

  • ...
3
 21
 900

Chapter 1: Preparations

“So… what are we suppose to do now?” asked Steven. “As a matter of fact, what ARE we doing?”


“Ever wished you can go to a fantasy world? Fight crimes, save the world and such? Just as playing a fantasy game, but experience it firsthand?” John replied with a question.


“Well, travelling to a fantasy world sounds fun.” Melvin tapped a finger on his chin. “Is that what you’re building over there?”


Melvin pointed a finger to a computer, connected to a slideshow projector, both screwed to a huge metal table. The table was stuck to a metal base to increase stability, with some cables and wires lying on the floor between this and the power supply.


“Indeed, though it might be impossible...”


“Waitwaitwait… so you’re sayin’ than we’re gonna make a portal to a fantasy land?” asked Steven, looking puzzled, his arms crossed.


“Yup, based on our favourite fantasy games, which were created by my parents’ company,” John boasted, but with a modest tone.


“Your parents’ company made the best games around,” praised Melvin with a smile.


“Same goes here,” added Steven, raising a hand.


“Thanks! But I take no credit.” John scratched his head.


“Don’t be so modest. Anyway, it wouldn’t hurt to try, right?” said Melvin.


“Then, what are we waiting for? Let’s get started! ...or in this case, let’s continue, since John has done most it...” said Steven.


Time flies as the boys worked together discussing and adjusting on the setup, settings, programs, and softwares for their near impossible project. Two hours have passed and it was almost noon.


“Man, I’m hungry.” Melvin rubbed at his tummy.


“Yeah, me too… you got some grub here, John?” asked Steven.


“I’m hungry too, I can call for my chef to whip us a dish if you like,” suggested John.


“I rather have street food,” said Melvin.


“I can call for pizza, if you want.” John took out his phone from his pocket.


“No thanks, I just remembered I brought my own food,” said Melvin, reaching out for his sling bag beside him.


“Me too.” Steven got up from his chair and grabbed his backpack by the door.


“I think I’ll make my own lunch downstairs. Let’s have half an hour for lunch break.” John got up and reached for the door.


After having their lunch, they gathered and continued their work. Despite multiple failures that almost blew up the attic, they never gave up. Even if they did, they will foreshadowed their teacher, Miss Godie, who would go rage-mode bananas on her students who did not hand in their works, which almost turned the whole class upside down.


An hour more had passed, and their doubt had taken a wide turn.


“Hey, John! I need to lower the current!” Steven shouted, since John could not hear a thing while he was listening to the loud heavy metal music on his earphones.


“What? Power the current? You got it!”


“No! He said ‘LOWER’ not ’POWER’!” shouted Melvin.


But it was too late, John connected the two cables together and...


BOOM!


The attic was suddenly filled with smoke and dust. Apparently, the projector exploded because it could not take too much current. The three teenagers coughed and rushed towards every window they could find and opened them. John made his way to the only door and opened it.


“Young Master, are you alright?” Wallace looked up the stairs, concerned. “I heard a loud bang and… is that smoke I see?”


“It’s okay, everything is under control, don’t worry!”


“Um… John... you better see this…” Melvin walked over and tapped John on the back.


John turned around slowly and saw Melvin looked horrified, Steven sitting at the corner of the room looking pale, like he saw a ghost, or he looked like one.


“Are you guys... alright?”


“L-look!” Steven pointed, his arm shaking.


John turned towards where Steven had pointed. To his surprise, that was the direction where their project was located. He gasped.


The projector was emitting a beam of light, which then lead to something resembling a dark purple wormhole.


“Whoa… my… god...” John’s jaw dropped. “I-it seems our project WORKS! YEAH!”


“B-but, is that possible?” said Melvin in a trembling voice. “We saw you connected the cables and the projector blew up. Shouldn’t it be not working?”


“You got a point there,” said John. “Although… that might not have been an explosion.”


John walked closely to the projector, observing.


“If my hunch is right… BINGO!”


“What is it?” Steven got up on his feet and the stood beside John along with Melvin.


“That wasn’t an explosion,” said John. “In fact, that was a really enormous vibration.”


“But how?” asked Melvin, crossing his arms.


“You see, the projector did not blow a fuse. It was actually releasing the energy stored to create this might-be portal,” explained John.


“So… what now?” asked Steven.


“We... walk in!”