• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 3,148 Views, 56 Comments

When Balloons Float to the Stars - Aybee



When Pinkie Pie is done making everypony smile for the day, what does she go back to? A lonely room full of overly bright party decorations to keep her smiling. But what happens when the brightness can't cheer her up anymore? Who will make her smile?

  • ...
11
 56
 3,148

Stars In Her Eyes

Twilight watched Pinkie's reaction to her makeshift party with both nervousness and excitement making her joints all jiggly and forcing her heart to pound in her ears like one of Vinyl Scratch's bass songs at Berry Punch's bar. At first, all she heard was Applejack yelling from outside, then the door swung open with a rusty crrreeeeaaak. Twilight poked her head around the corner at that moment to see the flat-haired party pony's eyes widen with shock at what lay before her.

Although it wasn't as bright and as extravagant as one of Pinkie's parties, Twilight was proud of herself. She had read every book in the library about parties and the correct way to throw one (which was actually a single book, titled; Parties and Celebrations 101). She had shredded the confetti by hoof and even put up the streamers herself, having banished Spike from the library in a good natured manner to complete her tedious task. After a few questions that didn't earn a reply, he had shrugged it off and wandered into town muttering something about being glad that he was off for the day. When she was done with setting everything up, she had looked at the simple cake that she had asked Granny Smith to whip up while Applejack and Fluttershy ran about the town to find Pinkie. When they had spotted her, Fluttershy had flown back to the library, only to find it surrounded by ponies, who had been curious about what the Princess of Magic could possibly be doing, considering Pinkie Pie was the only one who really every threw parties like the one Twilight was creating.

And while Fluttershy held them off as best as she could, Twilight had run upstairs to slip into her special yellow dress, which was simple but pretty and would suffice for the occasion. It was all fairly quickly thrown together, but it looked decent to Twilight, who was now watching the party mare trot up to the cake. Twilight's heart skipped a beat as she saw Pinkie's breathing hitch, and with a deep breath, Twilight walked out from the hallway and took a few steps down the stairs towards Pinkie Pie.

"Pinkie?" The one word startled the pink mare, who whipped around to look at Twilight, her azure eyes widening at the sight of her.

"Y-You did this? W-Why...?"

"Well...you didn't really give me the chance to explain when you were here earlier. I was shocked at the song, but...I liked it. And after thinking about it, I thought that I would be willing to give this a go. I mean...you make me feel like more than just a crown. You make me smile, make me blush, and I can't...I can't get you out of my head. I can't say that I love you now, but...I want to try. Will you let me? Will you let me try to love you?"

For the longest time, Pinkie just stood there with a blank look on her muzzle, both confusion and a deeper emotion swirling in those deep blue eyes. Twilight's ears slowly drop to cup the back of her head, and she takes a step forward, looking slightly hurt that the silence. At the motion, Pinkie jolts and blinks repeatedly before actually looking at Twilight, the pink mare's cheeks going a deep red.

"Y-You mean it? A-Are you sure?" Pinkie manages to choke out, tripping over a couple words in her emotional state. Twilight doesn't miss a beat as she smiles and nods.

"Of course I mean it, Pinkie."

As soon as her name flows from Twilight's lips, the sound of a small explosion echoes through the room, along with the sound of air being pumped rapidly into a tire as Pinkie leaps into the air, her mane and tail pop out into their normal fluffy selves. Her color shoots back to her bubblegum pink, and a massive smile now splits Pinkie's face as she lands as light as a feather before the alicorn. Twilight jumps slightly at the noise, but she giggles and smiles brightly at the once more hyper pony before her, her cheeks dusted with blush. But the color in her face rises as Pinkie gently pushes her head under Twilight's chin, nuzzling the slightly taller mare.

"Yes." Pinkie whispers softly as her cheek brushes Twilight's upper throat.

"W-What?" Twilight stutters out, embarrassment and...pleasure closing her throat slightly.

"Yes. To your cake question, silly. Yes, this can be our first date."

Pinkie pulls her head away from Twilight's neck with a slight blush of her own, her smile surprisingly gentle and her eyes sparkling as she looks at the beautiful librarian before her. Twilight giggles nervously and looks away shyly, her eyes turning to the cake with a warm feeling inside her chest. Pinkie's smile turns playful again and she turns to trot over to the cake, using her mouth to lift the cake cutter, slicing off a piece and setting it on a plate before moving back over to Twilight, who takes the plate in her magical field.

"A piece for milady~!" Pinkie says with a little grin, and Twilight blushes darkly, not sure if she was teasing her for being a princess or if Pinkie was giving her a pet name.

"And one for Pinkie!" The pink party mare says with a giggle in her voice as she takes a piece for herself, trotting back to sit beside Twilight.

"So, are we...um...marefriends now?" Twilight asks, uncertain. The question makes Pinkie pause for a moment before she turns her eyes back up to Twilight's, and although there's a small smile on her lips, Pinkie's eyes are apprehensive as she speaks.

"Do you want to be? I want to take it at the speed you're comfortable with, Twi." Pinkie says in a light voice, tilting her head slightly, the motion making her look small and innocent.

"O-Oh. Well, I suppose its alright if we call ourselves marefriends. This is a date right? We're dating, so..." Twilight says in return, following the line of logic like she always does, a contemplative look on her muzzle.

"Alrighty then! It has been decreed by milady!" Pinkie says, raising a hoof and a faux serious look on her face before she bursts into giggles, pulling the knees of her forehooves up to her lips as if to hold it in. This causes Twilight to laugh as well, until they both lay on their sides, having forgotten their cake as they laugh until tears leap into their eyes. When both had calmed to the point of just smiling at each other, Pinkie reaches out to pull Twilight closer to her, wrapping her hooves around the alicorn's barrel and being careful to not squash her wings as she simply holds her.

"P-Pinkie?"

"I just want to hold you for a little while. Is that okay?" Pinkie whispers softly into Twilight's mane right by the lavender mare's ear, which twitches slightly as Pinkie's warm breath washes over it.

"....yeah. Yeah, that's fine Pinkie. This feels really nice, you know. You're so warm and soft..." Twilight says without thinking, her eyes widening as she realizes what had come out of her mouth.

"Heheh. I'm glad you like it, Twi. I like it too. I've wanted to do this for so long, and now...its a dream come true."

This causes Twilight's face to go a bright red, the color giving one of Applejack's apples a run for it's bits. But she says nothing in return to Pinkie's heartfelt words, only shifting slightly closer to the pink mare, who gives her a gentle squeeze. And there they lay for a while, until Pinkie slowly pulls away from Twilight with a small sigh. She smiles so softly to Twilight that the princess' heart skips and her knees to become jell-o at the sight.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to hold you that long."

"That's alright Pinkie. Like I said, I enjoyed it." Twilight says with a smile before getting up on still slightly shaky legs, leaning forward to press her lips lightly to Pinkie's cheek.

This motion makes Pinkie's legs lock and her face shoot to a darker shade of pink, her tail and mane standing on end for a moment before she practically melts into a dreamy eyed, relaxed position. Twilight giggles at the sight before trotting away to clean up the little party mess with a burst of magic. In the span of a few moments, she had all of the balloons and streamers down, and had whipped up all of the confetti shards into a tight ball before magically lifting it all to the trashcan, closing the lid tightly on the makeshift party supplies. When she turned around though, she almost ran into Pinkie Pie, who sat on her haunches behind Twilight, watching the librarian work.

"That was super nifty Twi! Wish I could do that! Anyways, what now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't we have the rest of the date to plan?"

"....."

"What's the matter Twilight?"

"I forgot to plan the rest of the date."

Author's Note:

And shabam! There it is, the fifth chapter of the seven chapter story! I think its the longest one yet! Awesome. Now to get through the other two so you all can enjoy the finished product! :pinkiehappy: