• Published 6th Dec 2014
  • 781 Views, 3 Comments

Wish Weaver - Limescale



One freak moment in time brings forth Equestria's greatest challenge yet, not from the lands it holds dear but from the stars that have watched over it since time began!

  • ...
0
 3
 781

Wish Weaver - Chapter 9: Too much limelight isn't good for you.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Wish Weaver : Chapter 9
Too much limelight isn't good for you.

The great day had finally come. All across Ponyville Square there were banners flowing gently in the breeze, each spanning the entire spectrum of color. Bounties of bright flowers hung in ornamental baskets from every lamppost, and under them stalls selling every manner of treat that a pony could dream of were set up.

Taking up the area behind the square’s fountain was a large stage, on which the group known locally as the Ponytones, and more widely as Big Mac, Rarity, Toe Tapper, Torch Song and Fluttershy, were currently warming up for their big welcoming number. They had extra cause to give it their all, for today was not just a celebration for the return of harmony and peace to Equestria, but also to new beginnings and new friends.

Behind the curtain, Princess Twilight Sparkle was frantically pacing back and forth, reading over the speech she was due to give for what had to be the 20th time, with Spike constantly having to chase after her to make sure she didn’t accidentally trod over the flowing ermine cape and dress she was wearing.

“Twilight…Twilight, seriously slow down!” The little dragon protested as the purple alicorn whirled around again and he scrambled to again yank the train of her attire out from under her hooves. “If the floor doesn’t wear out first, then you certainly are, and we kind of need both to remain standing. At least for another 30 minutes.”

“I know, I know. Just, this is the first official address I’ve ever given as a princess. The first time I don’t have Celestia, Luna or Cadence to back me up.” Twilight turned to a mirror and checked her crown and mane were still perfect. “I know the venue isn’t huge, but the significance of this day is! If I screw this up…oooh, if I screw this up…”

“Then you’ll just prove that you’re the same Twilight as before, the one we, and I especially, are glad to have as a friend.” Spike calmly replied, giving the equine a gentle pat to her shoulder. “Don’t worry so much about it. This is Ponyville, everyone here knows you. They won’t think less of you if you get a few stage jitters.”

Staring at her reflection, Twilight studied herself. In the four years she’d been a resident of the town, she had indeed made a favorable impression on the locals, and even in the midst of her panic, the maturity that had come from her adventures here stared back at her. Though she’d repeatedly told everyone to still treat her as the same smart if somewhat nerdish unicorn, many out there still felt the right time had come for her to step up. She was ready to wear the crown that now adorned her head, and to assume rulership of the kingdom that was now also hers. Yes having to adjust to her new status was going to be a bumpy road, but Ponyville was definitely the best place for her to iron out the kinks.

“Yeah I guess you’re right. Okay, let’s focus on how much this is going to rock, and worry about what could wrong afterward.”

Twilight straightened her stance and raised her head high, assuming the pose befitting of a proper monarch. She even managed to hold it for a full minute, before she heard the Ponytones begin to sing their first song. After that the shakes returned to her legs and her head dipped again as fear found a new foothold.

“You can do this, Twilight. Just remember I’m right here behind you, literally and metaphorically.” Spike replied as he gathered up her train and gave her a wink.

- And if that does not settle your nerves, just dwell on how much more is to soon be demanded of me. -

Equinox, the robot pony who was the day’s guest of honor, stepped up beside her companion.

- I actually find it quite interesting that I feel less anxious despite being the one having to do stunts, answer questions and co-ordinate the Cutie Mark Crusaders’ segment. -

Twilight turned to study the way her metal friend stood so calm and stoically, ironically pulling off the regal attitude better than the actual monarch.

“Well you’ll have to teach me how you manage that afterwards. For now….eeeeeep….just wish me luck.” The purple alicorn hesitantly took a breath as the curtains parted and she beheld that the square was absolutely jam-packed. It looked as if everyone in town, and those in the nearby communities had turned up for the celebration.

“Okay, this is what you wanted. Now go for it!” Twilight quietly coaxed herself. Resuming her more elegant posture, she trotted out to the podium, with the Ponytones singing her welcome.

“My Mares and Gentlecolts, residents of Ponyville and citizens of Equestria, I thank you all for coming out here on this most momentous of days!”

A great cheer and clopping of hooves were given for the young princess, giving her just that extra bit of confidence to keep going. She looked out upon the adoring crowd, no longer just her friends but her loyal subjects too. She opened her mouth, took in a deep breath to really wow them with her golden oration….

….and with just as much pomp and circumstance the moment died as her mind went completely blank. Her teeth clamped shut and her eyes bugged out as she scrambled to try and remember what was supposed to come next.

“I…uhhh….I’d just like to start things off by saying….um…saying….”

Twilight felt sweat begin to run down her face. The silence held by the crowd grew uncomfortably heavy as they waited patiently for their monarch.

“Uhhhh….”

Internally Twilight was screaming at herself. 20 times, 20 times she’d read the damn speech! How could she just forget it all like that? What kind of princess couldn’t even remember a short little introduction?

Sensing the crowd’s growing awkwardness, Twilight thought fast. She had to save this somehow, do something to salvage her slip up. But what? But what?

- Should I go out there and assist her?- Equinox asked. She stepped forward to join her friend on the podium, but Spike promptly stopped her.

“No, no, let her think. She’ll come up with a good way to recover.”

Twilight looked back to Spike, to Equinox, to Rarity, to Fluttershy and Big Mac, at all points she saw the same thing: the expression that while this was quickly becoming a nightmare, she needn’t fear. Her friends had her back.

“Uhhh…one moment please.”

The crowd murmured amongst themselves as Twilight hunted in her dress and pulled the speech out again.

“I’d like to start off by saying that this is, unfortunately, my first time doing a royal address, so please forgive me as I inevitably slip up and trip over my words. We all have to start somewhere.”

This brought a relieved laugh from the crowd, and did wonders to dispel the fear from Twilight’s soul. While she may have had to work at getting the regal thing right, at least she knew how to still be true to herself.

“See, what’d I tell ya?” Spike smiled.

Equinox nodded softly as Twilight took a moment to savor the lightened mood, then dove into just reading aloud.

- She does seem to repeatedly insist upon humility, despite her station. Over the past few days I have noticed she seems…uneasy when I address her by her title. – The metal pony remarked.

“Twilight’s never been one to forget her roots. Yeah she may now be royalty, but to her that’s no excuse to act like she’s above those who befriended her when she was just one of the crowd.” Spike explained.

As the purple alicorn progressed through her monologue, her silver counterpart tilted her ears forward, listening to Twilight’s subdued and very casual tone of voice. Having read up on the traditional behavior of Equestrian royalty she knew she was technically doing it wrong. Princesses were supposed to speak loudly, and refer to themselves as a collective rather than a single entity. At the same time, however, Princess Luna hadn’t exactly been warmly received when she first showed up in Ponyville and spoke to everyone in the above manner. Indeed, Twilight had had to put her through some rather intensive speech therapy to make her less intimidating to the populace.

- It seems to be an effective approach. – Equinox commented, staring with even greater curiosity when Twilight paused again.

“And so….on behalf of my fellow regents, Celestia, Cadance and Luna, I give unto my faithful subjects…ummm…wait…”

The purple alicorn looked at the final part of her speech, silently mouthing the words to herself and making a terrible face. To everyone’s surprise, she proceeded to wad the whole speech up and toss it over her shoulder like it was garbage.

“No, no, you’re not just my faithful subjects. You’re the ponies who welcomed me with open arms four years ago when I was just another random face from Canterlot. You’re the ones who helped me mature into the lady I am now, and forgave me for the many errors I made along the way. You’re more than just my subjects, you’re my friends!”

Mutterings of amazement echoed all around.

“So, to back up here a bit, from the highest power in Equestria, I give unto my friends and fellow ponies this day where we welcome the return to harmony. Ponies, let us welcome together, the return of Equinox!”

The crowd erupted in cheers many octaves higher than had been expected. It made sense though. Twilight had shown that she still deemed those before her as her equals rather than her subordinates, and as such had everyone a greater cause to praise her for the added effort.

“And now, to get things rolling, I welcome to join me on the stage the one who came to us only a few weeks ago, and saw fit to honor this day by taking it as her own name and identity. Everyone, Equinox!”

The robot pony stepped out into view, earning herself a surprise when the crowd managed to raise their voices just a bit higher in response. Being the center of attention still seemed to spark some inner sensation of negativity in her, but after the fiasco that had been her first outing she’d taught herself to ignore it. Celestia knew she was going to have to considering what she had planned for today!

“Now that was a speech worthy of a princess, Twilight.” Mayor Mare exclaimed as she surreptitiously picked up the discarded wad of paper. “I may have to borrow a few parts if I may. For reference of course!”

Snickering softly, Twilight waved to the crowd.

- It would seem you are far more apt at playing the role of a public figure than I. – Equinox followed, earning another snicker.

“Well let’s hope not, cause from here on this is entirely your show!”

Equinox turned and saw her friend winking teasingly at her. Ever the good sport, she nodded politely and shooed the princess away.

- I will vie to not disappoint then. – She replied as Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo joined her on the stage. – Have you completed the preparations for our segment?-

“Yep, just about. We can start on the strength test if you’re ready!” The yellow foal proclaimed. With a gentle whirr, Equinox jostled her mane and took position in the center of the stage.

-Then let’s test my might.-

Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell pushed a small table in front of the metal pony, then placed several planks of wood on top. Taking a moment to study this first challenge, Equinox closed her eyes and promptly smashed her head cleanly through every single board. To the ooohs of the crowd, she shook the splinters off her head and nodded for the next challenge to be set up. Apple Bloom happily trotted over bearing a stack that held double the number of boards, then cheered with the crowd as Equinox broke all of them with no problem.

“Perfect! Now if you’ll excuse me, I can use these to finish up on the obstacle course!”

The foal collected the broken planks and hopped off the stage as Sweetie Belle levitated a small stone plinth onto the table. Closing her eyes, Equinox took a moment to assess the added risk, then smashed the plinth cleanly in two as she had with the wood.

“And they say it’s bad to be hard headed.” Mayor Mare chuckled as Equinox was challenged to two stone plinths, then three.

“If you can believe, that’s only skimming the surface of what she’s capable of.” Twilight replied as Sweetie Belle magically levitated the broken slabs of rock then stacked them in a pyramid on the table. This time Equinox judged the position of each stone, peering at their formation as if trying to obtain some deeper, metaphysical meaning from the way they were arranged.

“And what’s this?” The older, brown mare asked.

“Something called ‘precision striking’. It’s a martial arts technique, I think.” Twilight replied as Equinox twisted her head, and listened to the buzzing that had now returned.

Ksssshhhh…acquire target….ksssshhh…direct force through obstacles…..kssshhh….test your strike….ksssh…your strike….your strike….your KSSSSHHHHH

With a dramatic throw of her head, Equinox brought her horn down onto the top stone. The square promptly fell silent as everyone beheld the rock seemingly shrug off the blow…only for the one underneath it to shatter into gravel. The pyramid shook from the sudden loss of one of its support stones, but thanks to Sweetie Belle’s expert structuring it managed to maintain its integrity, even with the gaping hole in its center.

“…..whoah” Someone in the crowd called. There were similar mutterings of amazement, before everyone remembered they were supposed to applaud such a stunt.

“Whoah indeed. Are you sure you can’t teach me how to do that?” Sweetie Belle asked with an adorable pouty lip.

-I would be open to it, however, your sister might take issue with the risk.- Equinox glance to the side to where Rarity was casting a silent stare that indicated there would be serious repercussions if the robot equine even thought of doing anything that could potentially harm her beloved sibling. Feeling the same stare upon her, Sweetie Belle sighed in defeat.

“Ready for the next part?” The foal asked as a change of subject.

Studying her handiwork, Equinox pondered for a moment as she looked around the square.

-I would like to do one more challenge first. With that.- She pointed a hoof at a huge blue gemstone that was standing as part of a display on the buffet tables. Sweetie Belle looked understandably concerned.

“What? Are you sure, Equinox? Gems are pretty hard to crack.”

-That does little to deter Assistant Spike from consuming them whenever he can.- The robot offered as a counterargument. Sweetie Belle still seemed unsure, but upon seeing Equinox would not budge, she grudgingly gestured for Scootaloo to help her bring it over.

“Just try not to hurt yourself, please.” The brown pegasus pleaded. Staring thoughtfully at the huge and no doubt impenetrable hunk of quartz as it was slid into place in the pyramid, Equinox nodded softly.

-I won’t…at least not before our race.-

Scootaloo looked horrified.

-That is a joke.- Equinox assured. She then promptly smashed her head into the pyramid before the brown pegasus could protest further. Both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle winced as they fully expected to hear grunts of pain and cries of alarm, but as before the applause and cheers rose up, and both foals dared a glance, seeing Equinox looking fine as ever, amidst a still perfectly stacked pyramid, and mess of little blue fragments.

“Well….wow.” Twilight proclaimed as Equinox shook her mane in triumph. “While that is as impressive as anything else you’ve proven capable of, are you sure it’s necessary to willingly keep ramping up the danger you put yourself in?”

Shaking her head from side to side, Equinox nodded.

-Such activities have so far proven the only means by which I can access my higher functions, Princess Twilight. Until a viable alternative is presented it is only logical for to me to keep pursuing this means in order to ascertain what my full capabilities are.-

The purple alicorn paused as she thought this over. It didn’t seem to give her much reassurance.

-If you are worried about damage to my body, my outer casing has been rated for impacts of up to 50,000 newtons. It is quite capable of sustaining integrity against all manner of organic materials.-

Somehow this made Twilight look even less at ease. Unfortunately, another voice cut in before she could say anything.

“Yes, if she’s says she’s fine then let her do what she’s here for.” Mayor Mare proclaimed, leaning in to whisper in the princess’ ear. “Seriously, she’s been the talk of the town ever since she first turned up. If she can make this day a success my poll numbers are going to skyrocket.”

Twilight found this a rather paltry argument in favor of letting Equinox continue, however, at the same time she had just as little reason to stop her.

“Okay, I guess you know what’s best for yourself.” The purple pony mentioned as Equinox bowed to the audience. “What have you got planned next?”

“A race between her and me, around the outskirts of Ponyville.” Scootaloo explained. “Just need for Apple Bloom to give us the okay!”

Nodding, Twilight hopped off the stage. “I’ll go mingle with everyone till then.”

The purple alicorn headed in to begin conversing with the gathered equines, as natural and casual as if she were still one of them rather than a member of the ruling class. Equinox again stayed back to contemplate just how effective her method of flat out ignoring the rules of Royal conduct were proving. Internally she felt it was wrong to transcend the levels of authority in such a way, but still, the smiles and the relaxed attitude of everyone as they greeted their monarch were hard to ignore.

“So…is anyone coming to clean that up, or could I volunteer?”

Equinox looked down to see Spike pointing to the broken gem shards with a very wanting smile. With a sweep of her hoof, she pushed the mess over to the little dragon.

-I believe your efforts will be most appreciated.- She mused while Spike began gobbling the fragments up like the candy they basically were. –Also, while you are occupied with that, I would like to discuss an idea I have just had for my next stunt.-

The dragon looked up and lent a curious ear as Equinox began to lay out her new plan.

***

“Whatta yew mean she wants yew ta set ‘em on fire?” Apple Bloom exclaimed as Spike dragged a ladder over to her. She’d just finished erecting a set of hoops that were part of the race course Equinox and Scootaloo were going to run. Having witnessed the metal alicorn’s apparent love of jumping through things she understood why Equinox would want them added…though this new development gave her more reason to pause and gape in disbelief.

“I know it sounds crazy but she was very insistent. By her own argument she’s not affected by flames or heat like we are, and apparently the rehearsals didn’t trigger the same memory recall, or whatever she calls it, from before.” Spike explained, looking just as unconvinced as the three foals around him. “She also stated she only wants her part of the track set on fire. Scootaloo doesn’t have to do it with her.”

The orange pegasus cringed anyway. “Well, that’s nice of her but….I’m still getting the shivers just thinking about it.”

Apple Bloom set down her hammer and furrowed her brow.

“Ah could try ta convince her otherwise….but then again, she DID manage to drive off those Timberwolves by herself, an’ mah sister personally saw her take down an ursa major….” The little pony sighed and grumbled. “Ah dun know. Seems like she could pull this off jest like before.”

“The operative word there being ‘seems’.” Sweetie Belle added, before finally having to shrug. “I say we stand by what Twilight said. Trust her judgment.”

Accepting this reluctant resignation, Spike studied the metal hoops. “Kay, do we have anything flammable that I could coat these in?”

“Yeah, there should be some pitch left over from when the roof of town hall was fixed. Ah’ll go grab it.” Apple Bloom ran off for the supplies while Scootaloo got on her scooter and took position at the start of the race track. Seeing there was only one thing left to do, Sweetie Belle headed into the crowd and sought out Pinkie Pie.

“Look I know you’re not known for being the outgoing type, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime! Photo Finish is seeking fresh talent for the next issue of Gentlecolts Quarterly and Rarity thinks you’d be a perfect fit!”

The ghostly pony being spoken to fanned its numerous black tentacles out as if to ask how Pinkie Pie was going to explain them away.

“Okay, yes those might be a little unnerving…”

The white stallion leaned in to stare at the pink mare with its unseen eyes.

“And yes the fact that you don’t have a face means you can’t smile for a camera, but let’s try looking past that for a second. You’re still one of the snappiest dressers I know, and Photo Finish is smart enough to not turn down a pony that knows how to properly coordinate an ensemble.”

The tentacles fell in acknowledgement as the gaunt equine looked over the dapper pin-striped suit it was wearing, expertly accessorized with a silver tie, a pocket square, and white metal cufflinks.

“Just give it some thought is all I’m asking.” Pinkie asked before noticing Sweetie Belle. “Hey Sweetie, what’s up?”

“We’re ready to begin the race if you want to round up the audience.” The little foal said, causing Pinkie’s eyes to light up.

“Oh super! Just a minute!”

The mare was off like a rocket again, leaping to the stage and grabbing the microphone in one swift motion.

“Attention everyone! Attention! We’re now ready to begin the next phase of the celebration!”

The ramble of conversation quickly died down as everyone turned to the stage again.

“For your thrill and entertainment we present a match of old against new. Representing Ponyville we have our own local hero, the indomitable Scootaloo!”

Scootaloo gave everyone a huge wave as they cheered her on.

“And from parts unknown, we have the lady of the day who will be racing against her, everyone let’s give it up again for Equinox!”

Cued by the announcement of her name, the metal alicorn rose up from where she’d been mingling with Zecora and flew over to take position by Scootaloo.

“The rules are simple: both contestants have a set number of hoops and obstacles set up around Ponyville. The one who makes it through and back to the fountain in the center of town in the shortest time is the winner. I’m sure we all know that Scootaloo already proved her valor at a similar type of race last year, so it falls to seeing if Equinox can match her in speed.”

A big hurrah was given by all as the contestants got into position. Looking ahead, Scootaloo spotted a pony with a green flag in her mouth standing by….and beyond her were the silhouettes of Spike and Apple Bloom coating the last of Equinox’s hoops in pitch.

“I hope you know what you’re doing.” The orange pegasus quietly mentioned to her opponent.

-I assure you, all will be fine. – Equinox replied. The final countdown was given and Scootaloo took a deep breath.

“Okay then, best of luck.” Scootaloo replied as the flag was waved and the two burst out of the gate. Scootaloo gained a momentary lead due to having wheels on her side, but with a bow of her head and a kick of her hooves, Equinox soon caught up. The two came to the first challenge which was a ramp. Scootaloo swept herself cleanly off into the air, twirling her scooter around for good measure before hitting the ground without losing any momentum. Equinox settled for a simple but elegant jump and continued on with the same stride.

Next the two had a series of hurdles to get over which likewise presented little issue. Scootaloo showed impressive control by flipping her scooter up to ride the railing across each so she didn’t have to slow down, while Equinox maintained the order of keeping things down to the basics. She may not have had the flair, but she was still an equine at heart, and as such she knew how to vault and make it beautiful.

“Fascinating, between the two of them I can’t tell which is the bigger show-off.” Chrysalis mused from where she was watching. Next to her, the pink mare with the huge fluffy coat took a bite out of her baked ham and blew a thoughtful raspberry.

“Nah, that’s fine. I already know you could do this faster and with more style than either of them.” The black changeling replied. Her companion blew a longer, more inquisitive raspberry.

“Yeah but it’s a nice day, there’s food aplenty, and I don’t have to worry about smelling like wet paint so I’m still glad she invited us.”

Watching as the robot and the foal neared the first of their hoops, Chrysalis let out a yawn.

“Eh, this is boring me anyway. I’m going to take a nap for a bit.” She fluffed the pony’s coat more than it already was and promptly flopped on top of it. “Wake me if anything interesting happens.”

Glancing up at her new passenger, the pink mare looked to the racetrack again, then let out a huge gasp as something caught her attention.

“Hmmm? What?” Chrysalis complained as she was roughly tossed off her companion. The pink pony jabbed a hoof at the track, and the changeling went wide eyed to see it was now going up in flames. “Oh. Huh, ask and ye shall receive it seems.”

Around the square there were similar gasps of surprise and horror as one by one the hoops on the track were enveloped in a blazing inferno. On the actual track itself, Scootaloo offered a silent prayer to Celestia as Equinox charged at the first ring and leapt through it with gusto.

“What the? Who authorized this? This was never discussed in the plans for today!” Twilight exclaimed. Peering intently at the hoops, she felt her heart jump upon seeing two small figures running away from them.

“Wait…is that Spike?”

The crowd quickly found their attention being jostled between the spectacle of the race, and the sight of their princess promptly leaping into the air to zero in on the dragon like a hungry eagle targeting a tasty snack. Poor Spike certainly got the same shock as the aforementioned as he finished storing the pitch and turned to see a very angry alicorn suddenly standing before him.

“ACK! Twi-Twilight! Uh…can I help you with something?” The little dragon stammered as his friend narrowed her eyes at the blazing rings, then at him.

“Maybe. Just answer me one question: did Equinox put you up to this?”

Spike swallowed and looked up as the metal pony in question leapt through another flaming hoop, tilting her head back almost as if she were enjoying the feel of fire brushing so close to her body.

“She…may have said something about it. Seems like she enjoys making a spectacle of herself…” He weakly muttered. Watching as the robot continued with her suicidal run across the track, Twilight sighed and pressed a hoof to her temple.

“As much as that’s what we all were hoping for, this is definitely taking it too far! Seriously Spike, did it not occur to you how dangerous this is??”

Spike returned to watching his new friend sail through inferno after inferno without care. Despite showing proper caution, Scootaloo was admirably still managing to keep pace on her side of the track, even managing to still get a few cheers and applause as she expertly wove her scooter across the ramps and through her own, thankfully not flaming hoops.

“All I can say is, again, it doesn’t seem to be doing her any harm, and the crowd seems to be loving it.” The dragon replied.

“Loving it, indeed.” A familiar brown stallion with an hourglass cutie mark exclaimed as he watched the race through a pair of binoculars. “Life is a finite amount, no matter if you’ve been around for 9, 90 or 900 years. Ponies need to embrace every opportunity to live to their fullest extent.”

Twilight’s mouth dropped open. “But…she could get herself hurt!”

“We all could get ourselves hurt, every day doing perfectly mundane tasks. The trick is to not let yourself be cowed by that!” Iron Will mused as he munched on a sweet grass bar. “Frankly she’s showing the kind of fortitude I vie to imbue all ponies with!”

Had Twilight’s jaw not had the hindrance of being securely connected to her skull it would’ve been resting limply on the ground by now.

“Right, so none of you are the least bit concerned that this could go horribly wrong?” She asked, looking to the gathered equines around her. “Anyone?”

A red mare standing beside the brown stallion uneasily tapped her hooves against the ground as she kept watching Equinox’s daredevil antics.

“Well, yes we acknowledge the risks, but it could be worse.” She said with a shrug. “I mean they’re just flaming hoops. It’s not like she’s jumping through supernovas or black holes…”

Seeing the majority was against her, Twilight glanced to the shining crown perched so perfectly atop her head. She could invoked her powers as a princess to demand the race be stopped immediately, but then that would leave a lot of disappointed ponies. Not to mention that despite her worries, so far nothing bad had actually happened…yet. Scootaloo and Equinox were racing fairly, the day was going fine and everyone besides her seemed to be enjoying themselves. Really would it be wise for her to play it safe at this point? Heck, did she even have the right to oppose those she had just declared to be her friends?

“Celestia and I need to have a long talk when we next meet. Being a monarch is a lot less straightforward than she makes it look.” She muttered before a sudden gasp from the crowd drew her attention again. “Huh? What the…?”

She glanced up and felt the air in her lungs be promptly sucked out, being used instead to feed the flames that now adorned the metal equine sailing overhead. In an act of sheer blind hope she blinked to clear her vision, but the scene before her refused to change. Equinox was now not only braving the fire of the hoops, she was taking it with her on her wings, leaving a wake of smoke and ash.

“Oh no…no, no, NO, NO! Spike alert the Ponyville Fire Brigade!” The purple alicorn ordered as she immediately leapt into the air after her friend. Disturbingly Equinox didn’t even seem to notice she was slowly becoming a blazing comet, her attention seemingly focused solely on the fountain ahead that signaled the end of the race.

“Equinox! Equinox stop! Wait! Slow down at least!”

Sensing a disturbance on the air, Equinox broke her concentration and snuck a peek under her burning wings.

-Princess Twilight. – She calmly noted. Quickly she banked up into a loop, bringing herself to where she was now behind the very puzzled pony. – While your company is always welcome I would advise against maintaining your current vector. This is a dangerous area for you to be in. –

The metal alicorn’s sheer ignorance of her own situation promptly made Twilight stop flapping her wings and gape again, not even acknowledging the fallacy of this move until gravity was kind enough to bring things back into perspective.

“A dangerous situation…for me to….Equinox, you’re the one in a dangerous situation! Your wings are on fire!” She screamed, flapping her own set wildly as Equinox stared at her in puzzlement. Glancing to the flickering masses of orange flames on either side of her, the robot pony whirred softly in acknowledgement.

-So they are. It would appear Assistant Spike applied an excessive amount of flammable substance to the previous hoop and I inadvertently brushed against it during my jump.-

Flapping her wings to stop herself from tumbling ungraciously into the watching crowd, Twilight zipped back up to where her friend was hovering patiently.

“Alright, we gotta get you to a safe landing spot and get you put out. Just follow me!” She ordered. Equinox duly cocked one of her ears to the side, then glanced at something over Twilight’s shoulder.

-I believe I have found a faster solution. Please excuse me.-

In the time the alicorn had to blink and give a very confused ‘Huh?’ Equinox had soared gracefully around her and was making a bee-line for the fountain in the center of town. The gathered ponies scattered like pigeons from a popped balloon as she dive bombed into the fountain’s basin and vanished beneath its clear, cool depths. Silence promptly descended across the town, all eyes fixed on the plumes of smoke rising from the fountain. After a moment or so of nothing happening a few of the braver souls closest to it dared to step in for a closer look…

And then the town was united in a startled gasp as Equinox burst forth back into the sky, twirling streams of sizzling water and steam behind her as she swooped around to show her wings were no longer ablaze. The heat had blackened them a bit perhaps, but they were no less functional than before, as the robot proceeded to demonstrate with several more stylish twists and twirls before coming in to land perfectly on top of the fountain. Splaying her wings out to display their resilient integrity, Equinox bowed to the ponies gathered around her.

Silence again hung like an unwelcome presence over the town square. For a brief second Equinox had to glance up to see if she had perhaps misjudged the crowd’s expectations.

“Uh…wow….” Someone finally said.

“Yeah…” Came the reply, before the entire square erupted in thunderous cheers and applause. Satisfied she had conformed to the desired spectacle of the day, Equinox hopped off the fountain while Applejack and Rarity ran forward.

“Equinox, we jest saw what happened! Uh, are yew okay?” The brown earth pony exclaimed. Equinox quickly ran a check of her systems.

- Aside from some minor scorching on my exterior I detect no damage.- She assured. Rarity still seemed shocked at seeing the blackened, smoking state of her wings.

“Oh but you ruined your beautifully polished look! I’ll have to book you a spa appointment at once to clean that off!” The white unicorn declared.

Around the trio, ponies began to press in, all eager to likewise share their admiration of Equinox’s latest stunt.

“Was that part of the race? Cause, can I just say, that was awesome!” One of the crowd exclaimed.

“Here, here! I expected to see some excitement today but that was off the chart!” Another cried.

“Uh…do you think you could maybe do that again? I didn’t think to take a photo…and no one at home will believe me if I don’t have proof of what just happened.”

Equinox turned, and suddenly she seemed to lose her composure as the masses closed in. While they may have all supported her antics, the attention was awakening that nagging recess in the robot’s mind that being observed like this was wrong and she needed to get away quickly. Fortunately Twilight and Rainbow Dash were to quick to descend and disperse the crowd.

“Yes, yes I’m sure we’re all very entertained by what just happened, but if I could ask you all to please make way, Equinox will be available for a Q and A session in just a few minutes back on the stage. “

Obeying the words of their monarch, the ponies parted to let her pass with her friends in tow.

“Also, if I could make one quick request? Can we have a round of applause for Scootaloo please? She actually made it across the finishing line while Equinox was still extinguishing herself so technically that’s the second time she’s won this sort of race!” Rainbow added with just a hint of disdain. Equinox cocked her ears at the seeming disapproval, though the rationale behind it hit with surprising impact when she turned to see the little pegasus standing by the finishing line. Clearly she understood why everyone had ignored her in favor of her friend, however, the crowd’s acknowledgement of her feat did put a smile back on the pegasus’ face.

Suddenly the unease from the attention she was getting was strengthened by a sense that she had wrongly stolen the spotlight from someone else. Equinox found the reaction strange, worthy of investigating further, but also very difficult to explain. She had delivered on what those attending had been promised in terms of spectacle, yet rather than a positive feedback she was experiencing a negative one. Though the crowd cheered her name, it brought nothing that could be defined as ‘cheer’ to the robot as she mounted the stage again and was welcomed by Mayor Mare.

“Well Equinox, it seems Princess Twilight’s accounts of your abilities were no exaggeration. Clearly you are something else, as worthy of the horn and wings you bear as your fellow monarchs!”

Twilight snorted slightly but kept her reaction in check. Equinox still seemed to pick up on it though as she responded.

-Your approval is appreciated, Mayor Mare, however, I feel it is…misapplied. While I may bear the physical aspects of the series you call ‘alicorn’ experience has proven that I am not quite worthy of their stature.-

There was a murmuring of query at this, leading the metal pony to explain.

- The supernatural abilities you categorize as ‘magic’ still elude me. While my functions may impress, I feel Princess Twilight’s far exceed mine in caliber.-

More murmuring ensued, interrupted by a familiar voice crying out “Girl no! You gotta show confidence in what you can do!” Equinox silently paid it her acknowledgement.

“Well still, there’s few others on Equestria who could match what you’ve proven yourself capable of!” Mayor Mare declared. “I suppose the big question on everyone’s lips is: just where DO you hail from, and why couldn’t you have come to us sooner?”

Equinox looked to Twilight, who noticeably had lost a bit of the ire from her features. Signifying that she wished for the robot to still answer truthfully though, the purple alicorn held her breath as her friend answered.

- I regret that I am unable to answer that. I have no data regarding my reason for being on Equestria, and no data concerning where I might have originated from.- The metal equine tactfully said. –At present I can only conclude the following: since there is no other example of technological sophistication equivalent to my own on Equestria, I must come from somewhere else. Whether that is another place among the stars, or perhaps another reality different from yours, I am unable to ascertain at present.-

More murmurs erupted as the robot’s statement was discussed. Some found this shocking, some found it puzzling, some were awed. One soul apparently found it so incredible that it felt the need to shout above everyone else.

“She actually did it!”

All interest turned inward as ponies stepped aside and shuffled about to permit a new face to the front. Out of the masses stepped a young stallion with a bright red coat, a thick mane of black hair, a telescope cutie mark, and a childlike excitement glowing behind his wire-frame glasses.

“She granted my wish! I can’t believe it! Well I mean I knew she would but still!”

Those on the stage shared a momentary look of confusion.

“I’m sorry, you are?” Mayor Mare asked. The stallion jumped at suddenly being acknowledged and gave an embarrassed smile.

“Oh right, my name is Star Gazer! Sorry for interrupting, but I just can’t believe it. An actual visitor from beyond the stars! Just like I asked!” He gushed while staring in reverence at Equinox.

- You requested for me to come to Equestria?- The robot whirred in puzzlement as Star Gazer shook his head and hopped for joy.

“Well no, I mean not you specifically but I did ask for…uh…oh, let me start over.” He cleared his throat and composed himself. “I’m an astronomer! Been studying the stars my whole life! For years I’ve been investigating the possibility of life existing on worlds besides Equestria but never managed to find any proof. Then a few weeks ago I got word of someone who could help me out, who could finally answer my questions. I visited her and wished to know if indeed there are others like us living on other worlds. She said I’d know soon, if I just kept my ear to the ground. I admit I thought she was just giving me false hope but then I heard of your exploits, Miss Equinox, and I had to see if what I suspected was true, and wouldn’t you know it, she actually granted my wish!”

The stallion trotted around some more, completely ignorant to the fact that no one else was sharing his happiness.

“Wait….wait…seriously, Mr. Star Gazer, wait!” Twilight commanded.

The stallion promptly stopped and blushed hard enough for it to be visible even through his scarlet coat.

“When did you see this…uh…mare?”

Star Gazer thought for a moment. “About two weeks ago. Yes I’m sure it was two weeks before today, I was tracking the time very closely on my calendar.”

Now the purple alicorn and her friends had to exchange looks of disbelief, tinged with shock that something very significant was unfolding right at that moment. Equinox was kind enough to voice the communal feeling.

- Two weeks ago was the night I arrived on Equestria. You are stipulating that you wished to know if life exists elsewhere in the universe, and as a result I was sent here by some unknown power as a means of granting your wish?- She stared intently at the stallion who just smiled right back…though with a somewhat more nervous edge.

“Well it certainly seems that way, and my express thanks that such is the case!” He replied. Equinox looked to Twilight who was now vigorously shaking her head.

“No, no, no, that can’t be right! That’s scientifically impossible! At least….” The princess joined her friend in staring at the stallion. “Who was this mare that you said you saw?”

Star Gazer perked his ears in glee. “Oh, she called herself Calypso, the Wish Weaver!”

KSSSSSHHHHHHHH…BZZZZZZTWRNEEEEEEEEEEEEE….SSSSSSSHHHHHHSSHHH…ZHHHHRRRRRRZZZZTTTKKKKKKAAA

Twilight politely put her next question on hold at the sudden sounds of electricity fizzling through the air and the crowd suddenly looking very panicked. Following their gaze she turned to see Equinox was now stumbling about, jerking her head left and right as sparks and bolts of lightning erupted from between her metal plates.

KSSSSHHHHHHHH…LYPS-ALYPS-ALYPS-ALYPS…..PRIMARSKZERRWWWWRRRRRRT…..LOCAY….LOCAY….DIRECK…ZZZZZZZTKKKKKKKKK……ALYPS-ALYPS-ALYPS…..LOCAY….KSHHHH….RETREEE…KKSSSHHH….LOCAY….KSHHHHH….RETREEEKSSSH…..ALYPS-ALYPS-ALYPS…CA-CALYPS-ALYPS-ALYPS

“Equinox are you…okay?” Twilight hesitantly asked as the robot spasmed and thrashed about.

ALYPS-ALYPS-ALPYS…..KSSSSHHHH…O-O-OGY…KSSSHHH..CA-CALYPS….BZZZZZRRRRTNNGGGGGGGG

“Umm, maybe we should step back? Give her some space?” Pinkie Pie meeped as sparks began raining down onto the stage. The air was growing thick with the stench of smoke as Equinox continued to uncontrollably freak out.

>ERROR

>ERROR

>404:FILE NOT FOUND

>WARNING - SYSTEM FAILURE

>ERroR

>ER

>ER

>Er

>ERRRRor

“We need to do something!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Yes, but what? I don’t know what’s wrong with her!” Twilight said. She was getting as panicked as everyone else as her friend helplessly fizzled and seemed to be on the verge of going up in a mushroom cloud.

➢ 41 64 76 61 6e 63 65 64 20 50 72 6f 74 6f 74 79 70 65 20 49 6e 66 69 6c 74 72 61 74 6f 72 20 0d 0a 0d 0a 53 68 61 64 6f 77 20 4d 61 6e 65 20 4d 6f 64 65 6c 0d 0a 0d 0a 4d 69 73 73 69 6f 6e 20 4f 62 6a 65 63 74 69 76 65 73 0d 0a 0d 0a 50 72 69 6d 61 72 79 3a 20 4c 6f 63 61 74 65 20 61 6e 64 20 52 65 63 6f 76 65 72 20 43 61 6c 79 70 73 6f 0d 0a 0d 0a 53 65 63 6f 6e 64 61 72 79 3a 20 46 69 6e 64 20 61 6e 64 20 52 65 63 6f 76 65 72 20 4f 67 79 67 69 61 20 53 70 65 63 69 6d 65 6e 0d 0a 0d 0a 54 65 72 74 69 61 72 79 3a 20 41 63 74 69 76 61 74 65 20 42 65 61 63 6f 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 41 77 61 69 74 20 52 65 74 72 69 65 76 61 6c 2e

➢ WARNING - SYSTEM OVERLOAD IMMINENT

➢ INITIATING EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN

Everyone in the square promptly dove for cover as Equinox erupted in a deafening explosion of sparks and lightening. The smell of burning wood and smoldering fabric began to choke those around her as the stage and curtains caught fire from her output.

Finally it seemed the robot could not break down anymore than she already was. The sparking ceased, the lighting stopped, and with a final, pitiful whine, Equinox tumbled to the ground in a lifeless heap.

Slowly and with great caution, those hiding behind walls and in alleyways dare to look out. From where she’d taken refuge behind the stage, Twilight peeked her head up and felt her heart sank at the scene that greeted her.

“Is she? No….” Pinkie Pie ran over and nudged her friend, her fears growing rapidly when Equinox gave no sign that she was still among the living. “No, no please, not again!”

“Wha…What just…happened?” Mayor Mare asked. Braving the haze of the smoke she looked over and gasped. “Oh no, is she alright?”

Realizing someone needed to take charge, and fast, Twilight climbed back up onto the stage and cleared her throat.

“I’m…I’m sure she’s fine. Probably just fainted from all the excitement.” She declared while trying to ignore the doubtful stares coming at her from all sides. “Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, can you help me move her backstage where she can rest?”

Retrieving her Stetson from where it had fallen in her mad dash for cover, Applejack peered in confusion at her friend.

“Rest? Twilight I don’t think that’s going to help…” She promptly bit her tongue at the alicorn’s glare. “Ah mean, sure! Uh, Applebloom, why don’t yew, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo get yer talent show started?”

“Right!” The yellow foal ran and grabbed an accordion. “Come on, it’s up to us to cover here!”

The foals duly began playing a little music to help soothe the crowd out of hiding while the Mane Six scooped up their fallen friend and carried her away from the square, leaving Star Gazer to recover his glasses and watch with deep worry at the sudden departure.

“Oh dear, was it something I said?”

***

➢ INITIATING SYSTEM REBOOT…

➢ RUNNING SAFETY CHECK…

➢ CHECK COMPLETED

➢ ACTIVATING AUDITORY COMPONENTS

SHHHHHIIIIII…I don’t know, Twilight. Discord is still very ill. I don’t think he’d be up to creating another storm.”

“Well I don’t know what else to do. I’m not even sure what caused her to fall apart like that again.”

>POTENTIAL LIFEFORMS DETECTED

>ACTIVATING VISUAL COMPONENTS

As quickly as it had been taken away, the world was brought back into focus for Equinox. She beheld the forms of Twilight and Fluttershy staring with a mixture of both worry and frustration at each other, while other shadows moved in the background behind them.

“Girls, girls wait! I think she’s coming around!”

The welcome face of Spike hovered into view.

“Yeah, she’s lighting up like before!”

Twilight ran over with immense relief as the auras of neon blue returned to the metal equine’s eyes and mane.

“Equinox! Oh thank Celestia you’re awake!” She exclaimed as the robot beeped a few times, whirred softly and then rose to her hooves. “Are you feeling okay?”

- Damage assessment is underway. One moment please. – The robot summoned her visor and studied the data that flashed across it. – No damage or errors detected. Systems are operating nominally.-

Equinox retracted her visor and shook her head.

- It would appear I am functioning as efficiently as can be, quite surprising considering the severity of the glitch I encountered.- Equinox stilled as a thought struck her. – May I inquire, did I damage anyone?-

The Mane Six all sighed in relief.

“No, no, everyone’s fine. The town square’s going to need some cleaning up, but frankly we’re more worried about you.”

Jostling her mane around, Equinox checked her body.

- There is nothing wrong with me….save for a new gap in my memory of several seconds following the appearance of Astronomer Star Gazer.- Looking to her friends, the robot seemed very uneasy. – May I inquire, what just happened?-

Twilight opened her mouth as if to answer, but felt her voice go flat. She glanced to Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack and the rest, and found the same reaction being shared between everyone.

“Your guess is as good as ours.” Pinkie Pie said with a sad bow of her head. “One moment you were acting normal, then Star Gazer said something about going to see someone called Calypso and you promptly turned into a one pony fireworks display.”

Equinox looked both statisfied and yet even more uneased. Twitching her head she closed her eyes and closed her eyes as if contemplating deeply on the pink mare’s words.

-Most unexpected. I could hypothesize that I was experiencing yet another data echo, but data gathered from previous events would suggest otherwise. The echoes I experienced before were comprehensible, whereas this was simply a scrambled mess that proved too taxing for my system to handle.-

With a soft whirr, the robot’s body settled and she regained her usually composed attitude.

- I must recommence with the day’s schedule of activities. Perhaps I can replicate the results for further study.-

She turned to step back out onto the stage, then stopped as the entire Mane Six promptly blocked her path.

“No. No, Equinox you are not!” Twilight ordered. “Between what just happened, and setting your wings on fire, I’m not letting you do any more dangerous stunts today.”

The metal alicorn cocked her head. – The public are still expecting a show.-

“Apple Bloom, Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo have that taken care of.” Applejack stated, much to Equinox’s increasing puzzlement.

-Mayor Mare was in the middle of interviewing me too…-

“And that can continue once our dear foals are finished with their set. Seriously Equinox, we need you to take a step back, stop with all the daredevil risks.” Twilight ordered, giving an aggravated snort that the robot still seemed questioning of her logic.

- If you are concerned about my well being, I again wish to assure you that…-

“Yes, yes, you’re a very tough and durable pony. We don’t doubt that, but at the same time, you’re really making us worried.”

Equinox’s head cocked further. She could sense that she had done something to offend her friends, yet she did not understand what.

“As was jest proven, even someone as strong and specially gifted as yew can still get yerself hurt. Bean powerful doesn’t mean yer invincible” Applejack explained. The robot’s eyes dilated outward, increasing the intensity of their glowing aura as she gradually began to comprehend what was being said.

“And what’s worse, we don’t know how to make you better if you do get hurt. The fact that you’re so different from us means we have very few options for helping you out.” Rarity added.

Equinox processed this, her gaze slowly rotating down to stare at the floor.

-My ability to function even while damaged should render that a moot point. I am a construct, a machine. My design is meant to endure even the worst circumstances.-

Twilight scowled and closed the gap between her and the metal pony, bringing her head back up so she could look her in the eye.

“Just because you CAN endure the worst doesn’t mean you MUST. We already made it difficult enough for you when we made you do all our work!” The purple alicorn’s jaw tightened as ire was replaced with shame. “And…before that, I hurt you in another way I never meant to. We want you to be happy while you’re with us, and part of that is knowing you’re safe, and not subjecting yourself to more potential harm.”

As quickly as her strength of will had emboldened Twilight, it abandoned her. She turned away to stem her tears as Equinox looked among the Mane Six, cataloguing their expressions and adding them to the information she’d compiled.

- Even though I find contentment in protecting you, and can accurately confirm I am the most well adapted for hazardous tasks, you still worry for me?- She asked.

Six heads nodded in unison.

“You’re not just a machine, Equinox, you’re our friend, and friends look out for each other.” Pinkie Pie stated.

Silence held for several minutes, disturbed only by a muted whir or a soft beep as Equinox analyzed what she had heard, turned it over in her head, picked apart every word and ascertained every possible interpretation of their meanings.

- I believe I understand now. Your concern is surprising, but I find myself experiencing an oddly positive sensation as I comprehend the reasoning behind it.-

Closing her eyes, the robot froze for a second and let out a series of quiet chirps.

- If it will please you all, I have added a new directive to my programming. Unless circumstances demand an alternate course of action I will limit the number of hazardous activities I partake in. For your collective peace of minds, I will ‘play it safe’.-

The tension in the air thawed as everyone exhaled in relief again.

“Thank you, Equinox.” Twilight said.

- I believe it is you who deserve the commendations. Having others care about me is enriching. I wish to experience it further.- Equinox mused as she drew the curtains back. – If I may, I’d like to now show those gathered outside that I’m okay, and specifically, I wish to speak again with Astronomer Star Gazer. -

The ponies filed out onto the stage again, finding it now being dominated by Iron Will who was hunched over in a pose reminiscent of one in deep thought, while Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle quickly chipped away at a block of stone to capture the likeness.

“Oh Equinox! Yer alright!” The yellow foal declared with glee as the robot stepped back into the light.

-Indeed. Forgive me, I fear the excitement of the day proved greater than I was expecting.- She replied. Behind her Twilight gave a small smile at the use of tactful diplomacy.

“Oh well that’s okay! Just glad yew didn’t hurt yerself!”

Hearing yet more concern for her, the robot twitched as she felt current course through her mind. She felt as though her eyes were being opened again to a new perspective, a new way of thinking. It was like something she needed to have happen, rather than go the route of sticking to her original programming.

“We’re almost done here. Did you want to do the tight-rope act you told us about afterwards?” Sweetie Belle asked. Equinox looked to the crowd who were watching with murmurs of approval at the foals’ sculpting abilities. She then glanced to the Mane Six, and took note that they were silently expressing their preference that she refuse.

- You seem to be handling the audience fine on your own. It would be better for me to wait till you are finished before resuming my part.-

Both foals stopped and stared at the robot, while their bovine model suppressed a little snicker. Rainbow Dash had to likewise smile in quiet satisfaction that Equinox had picked up on the way she’d been hogging the spotlight to herself.

- If I may, however, have everyone’s attention for a moment: is the one known as Astronomer Star Gazer still present?-

The gathered ponies looked amongst each other, till the requested red stallion reluctantly stepped forward again.

“Uh, yes, Miss Equinox?” He asked, taking a step back when the robot leapt down in front of him.

-You stated that you visited an entity, which you claimed granted your wish of knowing if life exists among the stars. I regret I did not quite catch their name.-

Swallowing, Star Gazer nodded. “C-Calypso. Her name was Calypso.”

Equinox went quiet for a moment, as if bracing herself for yet another freak out. Strangely this time none came forth.

- May I ask you to repeat that?- She requested.

Not quite understanding, Star Gazer nevertheless obliged.

“Calypso? The Wish Weaver?” He said in a very nervous voice. Again the strange metal pony before him seemed to prepare for the worst, and again the worst refused to come. Looking over herself and seeing she was apparently fine as could be, Equinox flattened her ears in bewilderment.

- Strange, I had thought that perhaps that had been the trigger behind my episode…but apparently I was incorrect.-

Star Gazer hung his head guiltily. “Well still, I apologize profusely for embarrassing you like that.”

Equinox’s ears rose. – Why? Information gathered indicates it really was nothing more than a badly timed glitch in my system. The likelihood of that being your fault is virtually zero.-

Star Gazer blinked in surprise.

“Well, well I mean, I have so many more questions I want to ask you, then that happened and I thought that…that…”

He averted his gaze, baring his teeth with evident shame. Equinox shook her head.

- You needn’t fear retaliation from me, Astronomer Star Gazer. If you wish to inquire further about me, I am now prepared to provide you with whatever data I have available.-

The stallion blinked again, then choked a meek little laugh that he was apparently being forgiven for his mistake.

“Right uh, well, can we find somewhere to sit down then? It’s quite an extensive list of questions.”

He demonstrated by pulling out a sheet of parchment that was easily four feet long and covered in lines of ink. Equinox gestured for him to follow her through the crowd.

- Provided that Musician Heartstrings and Confectioner Bon Bon have not laid claim to them, I’m sure there’s a bench we could use.-

The two vanished into the gathering of ponies, while the Mane Six traded looks and giggles that things were at last looking up.

“Well, guess this going to be a pretty good day after all.” Rainbow Dash sighed.

“Indeed. Even if she requires a different method of thinking to deal with, I’m actually still glad she showed up. She makes me think about friendship in a whole new light, one I’d never have even considered if I didn’t have someone as unusual to interact with.” Twilight said with a bright smile.

***

Elswhere, several hours later…

As the sun finally set, letting the moon rise for its time in the sky, a portly brown stallion dressed in a waistcoat and dress shirt walked down the main street of the town he was fortunate enough to call his own. Around him the fanfare of ponies closing up shop went on in its usual way, only being interrupted by one individual that he noticed had several chests set outside her tent.

“Planning to move on already are we, Miss Calypso?” He asked as a pony covered in several heavy robes, a hood and a full facial veil stepped out bearing even more luggage.

“It seems I can do no more to help this town.” The mare organized her packed chests, then set about dismantling her tent.

“Shame, word is you’ve been quite the hit among everyone.”

Calypso nodded with noted solemnity.

“It is kind of you to say that, but I fear staying would deprive others of aid, and I’m sure there are plenty of towns that could do with some good fortune.”

With a sigh, the stallion looked to the horizon.

“Yeah, I guess you’ve got a point.” He thought for a second then smiled. “Might I point you in the direction of Ponyville then? Seems they’ve hit some rough times with the recent attack from Lord Tirek and everything. They’d probably have need of you more than anyone else.”

Calypso’s hood rose from the perking of the ears underneath it.

“Depending on what direction it lies, I could make that my next destination…” She resumed rolling up her tent and stuffing it into another chest when she suddenly felt a hoof was rested on her shoulder.

“Well I could tell you, perhaps over dinner, and maybe a quiet drink back at my place?”

The mare promptly stopped her actions. Daring a look over her shoulder she saw the stallion was grinning at her with obvious, and rather unwelcome intent.

“Are…are you sure, sir? I really don’t want to outstay my welcome.”

A sack full of bits was held up and jingled before her face.

“You’re the Wish Weaver, are you not? Well, I’d like to make a wish: one night, with the mysterious woman whom I’ve been dreaming of since she came into town. It won’t be any trouble at all.”

Calypso seemed uncertain, but another jingle and promise of more money to line her coffers gave her pause for thought.

“I was…unaware I had attracted that sort of attention.” She said.

“Yes well, I’ve always had a fondness for the exotic.” The stallion explained. Calypso relaxed her shoulders in submission.

“Very well, if that is what you desire, then your wish is granted.”

She waved her hoof over the stallion’s face and watched him chuckle at the little show of mysticism; a chuckle that then became a yawn, and then finally the repeated rumble of deeply slumbering snores.

“One night, with the woman of your dreams. Dream well of her.” The mare replied as she set the stallion down against a wall and left him to sleep like a newborn foal while she hastily snapped her luggage closed and hailed down a passing coach.

“To Ponyville, and if you could make haste please!” She said while tossing the sack of bits to the driver. Throwing her luggage into the back, Calypso hopped on and breathed a sigh of relief as she was promptly swept away to a hopefully more productive, and less intrusive new venture.

Author's Note:

It's always nice to be adored, but there are limits. Sometimes you gotta step back and let others have their moment on the stage, lest you risk making a public humiliation of yourself when things go wrong.


Yeah another mega sized chapter. Couldn't come up with a spot to chop it in half so I decided this one could be left as is.

Ah well, at least now the relevance of the series title becomes a bit more clear, and it looks like things may be coming to a head here, very soon.