• Published 6th Dec 2014
  • 781 Views, 3 Comments

Wish Weaver - Limescale



One freak moment in time brings forth Equestria's greatest challenge yet, not from the lands it holds dear but from the stars that have watched over it since time began!

  • ...
0
 3
 781

Wish Weaver - Chapter 10: And now, another challenge.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Wish Weaver : Chapter 10
And now, another challenge.


The time immediately following a big event was always strange. Some felt let down that the specialness was gone and now they had to go back to their normal routine, some greeted it with even more excitement, seeing it as the start of a new chapter in their lives following the epic conclusion of the previous one.

For Equinox, it had been a mixture of both. Now that the celebration honoring her and the event she’d chosen to name herself after was over, it seemed as though her official acceptance into Equestrian society was complete. While she was still a unique individual and a total mystery to the public, they no longer saw her as something to be feared or distrusted. She was another face in the crowd, another local to be greeted and smiled at whenever she ventured into town. She had friends in the form of the ponies known as the Mane Six, a purpose as the Captain of the Guard of their castle, and a residence to call her own in the halls of said castle (she’d argued that she had no need of such, but Rarity and Twilight had been most insistent). By all accounts this should have been the starting point from where she could go on to enjoy a very fulfilling and happy existence in Equestria.

Except….except….the question remained: just what WAS she supposed to do now? Despite the welcome relief of having all requirements of her new life fulfilled, Equinox was still plagued with the sensation that adopting a routine would not benefit her. In the few weeks she’d been with the Mane Six she’d repeatedly shown signs that whomever sent her had intended her for a greater purpose. A purpose that, annoyingly, had now been denied to her thanks to the twists of fate.

Scanning the far horizon as the sun rose to welcome forth the morning, Equinox swiveled her head restlessly. The real problem was, of course, she still had no data on her origins, nothing to suggest why she was on Equestria or where she had come from, and even more unfortunate was that the one means she had to get hints of the aforementioned didn’t sit well with her friends. Of course she could argue that she was tougher than they, but then had come the bizarre incident at the celebration where she’d apparently indeed broken down from the stress of testing her limits, an occurrence that had been distressing for them as it had been puzzling for her.

Coming to the end of her morning patrol, the robot equine conducted another scan of the area, verifying all was still as it should be on the castle grounds. That done she stepped back inside, still mulling over what to do about the latest development in her run time. She had promised Twilight and the others that she would not take any more risks, and she intended to stand by that promise as a friend was meant to, however, that also meant preventing herself from potentially uncovering more vital hints as to her own identity, and what she might do next with her time. She had to find another way…

Unfortunately it seemed that other way would have to wait, as no sooner had the robot crossed the magnificent entrance hall to the throne room, than she was met by the aforementioned alicorn and her dragon assistant.

“Oh, good morning, Equinox! We were just coming out to get you. It seems word of your feats finally worked its way to the top of the grapevine.” Spike declared as he held up the scroll in his hands. “Princess Celestia just sent this, requesting Twilight and your presence at the royal palace immediately.”

Equinox read the message, rotating her ears forward as she noticed the urgent tone it carried.

- Her wording suggests that she’s upset about something. I trust I have not offended her in anyway?- She queried, getting a smile and a shake of the head from her friends.

“I highly doubt it. She knows only what I’ve been reporting about you, and I’ve made sure to mention what a great help you’ve been.” Twilight gently assured. “At the same time though, she’s also been insistent on letting me have the responsibility of handling what happens in this part of Equestria so why she’d suddenly want to intervene is strange.”

Checking the message again to make sure she hadn’t missed some hidden sub-text between the lines, Equinox turned back to the castle entrance.

-Then it would be prudent of us to not keep her waiting.-

“Indeed.” Twilight followed the metal pony out into the grounds and up into the sky. “I just hope it’s nothing serious.”

The two soared through a cloud bank, then dipped low as the landscape zipped past underneath. Even though this wasn’t her first time flying, Equinox still had to take a moment to observe the sheer scale of Equestria. Previously she’d only been up to help Rainbow Dash at the Wonderbolt Academy, and never took the time to see what lay beyond that and the town of Ponyville. Now that she had little else to do but watch the scenery till they arrived at their destination, the robot felt an odd surge in her circuits, one that initially started out positive that there was so much more of Equestria to explore, but then faded into negative that she hadn’t paid more attention previously. Summoning her visor, Equinox began to recording the terrain as it passed by, matching each area to what she’d gleaned of the world’s geography from Twilight’s books. Pretty soon she had a very accurate map constructed and saved for consulting, and on that she found herself hoping that she’d also get the chance to travel a bit as soon as circumstances would permit.

Presently the two came to what could only be described as the central jewel of Equestria: a glimmering palace carved into the side of a mountain, richly decorated with high reaching towers and flawless white and gold architecture that proclaimed its importance. Touching down on the barbican entrance, the two waited for the portcullis to be raised, then stepped through to where a stately white unicorn was waiting with two royal sentries.

“Twilight! Thanks for coming on such short notice.” The stallion exclaimed, giving a bright smile and a friendly nuzzle to the purple alicorn. Noting the handsome outfit of crystalline armor he wore, as well the unusual tones of blue and aquamarine in his mane, Equinox quickly understood the lack of formal behavior.

“Oh think nothing of it! I couldn’t stand idly by if we’re about to have yet another crisis on our hooves!” Twilight smiled back while staring affectionately at the handsome equine. “I take it Celestia summoned you and Cadence from the Crystal Empire?”

“Yeah, darndest thing. She wouldn’t say what’s on her mind, just that she needed all the princesses together at once, oh, and your new…umm…arrival too.” The unicorn smiled with a slightly more embarrassed air to Equinox. “Sorry forgive my momentary distraction there.”

Equinox merely shook her head that no apology was necessary.

- Your behavior is perfectly understandable, Guardian Shining Armor. You are Princess Twilight’s older sibling and the one she trusts more than anyone else. It would be more unusual if you didn’t exhibit such affection towards her, and possibly indicate a second case of mental hijacking.-

Shining Armor blinked in momentary surprise, having clearly not expected the robot to already be up to scratch on his identity and relations. Twilight just giggled awkwardly.

“She’s made quite the effort to educate herself since coming here. At times she seems to be almost more of a bookworm than myself.”

With the ice now broken, Shining Armor sighed and rolled his eyes.

“As if one of you wasn’t bad enough. Alright, this way please.” He nickered while leading the two across the barbican and into the palace proper. Well…perhaps ‘palace’ was the wrong term to use, for as Equinox stepped past the main gates she saw the interior was more akin to a city, a vast metropolis thriving under the watchful guard of the spires that rose above it, where the most talented and highest of Equestria’s classes plied their trades.

-In regards to your books, Princess Twilight, it would seem they fell short in terms of capturing the majesty of this place. – Equinox observed as she beheld the throngs of fashionable folk going about their day.

“Yeah, that’s generally how Canterlot is. Nothing can prepare you for how incredible it looks in real life.” Twilight replied, feeling a hint of pride at how her friend swiveled her head about to take in as much of the scenery around her as she could. “Perhaps I should’ve let you grab a camera before we left?”

Whirring softly as she continued to drink in the picturesque beauty, Equinox shook her head again.

- That will not be necessary.- She replied before her visor folded out again over her eyes. Swaying her head back and forth, the robot began casting a beam of light from her horn at regular intervals into the crowds, indeed just like one would use a flash to capture photograph after photograph. –It is fascinating to consider that you originally called this place home. Your behavior is not indicative of one born to such an upper echelon.-

Twilight nodded, then dipped her gaze as she considered this.

“Yeah, well in the four years I’ve been in Ponyville a lot has happened to make me identify with there. More so than I did here I guess.” She snorted softly as the group finally came to the steps leading into the palace proper. “I honestly can’t believe it’s only been four years since I moved actually. Seems so much longer than that.”

The sentries drew open the doors for the group, revealing a vast and richly decorated hall that Equinox recognized a place that had perhaps seen more action than anywhere else in Canterlot. It was where Shining Armor and Princess Cadance had been married, and where Twilight had faced Queen Chrysalis and triumphed, before the latter had agreed to a truce so her changelings could be provided for. It was also where the purple alicorn had been crowned as the official fourth princess of Equestria once she had finally proven herself worthy of the title. Equinox made sure to record every inch of the place in detail for her files.

“They’re waiting in the throne room. I’ll leave you all to have some privacy.” Shining Armor explained as he pushed opened the door at the other end of the hall and stood back so his friends could cross the final threshold.

“Princess Celestia, Luna, Cadence, we’re here as requested.” Twilight bowed to the three sitting atop their respective seats of power. The central one was an alicorn of unmatched beauty and perfect elegance. Colors in every shade of the rainbow ran down the lengths of her perpetually flowing mane, offsetting the flawless white of her coat. She wore a golden crown set with a dark blue gemstone, and around her neck there was a golden collar with a similarly colored twin. Even from across the room Equinox could feel an aura of power radiating off the equine as she turned her soft blue eyes to Twilight then to her.

“Yes, thank you for coming Princess Twilight, and for bringing your new friend along as well.” Celestia replied. Her voice was exquisitely balanced, high and powerful as her station demanded, yet with a gentle tone that drew away any intimidation one might feel in her presence. Copying Twilight’s behavior, Equinox approached and bowed as Celestia rose from her throne and descended the stairs to have a closer look at her. “So you are the entity that’s been causing such a stir as of late. Twilight’s told me much of your exploits.”

Gazing up into those soulful orbs, Equinox felt her body fizzle with fresh current. Even if Celestia was trying to downplay her prominence it was interesting that she could still inspire awe, even in the heart of a machine.

- I trust she has been truthful and not exaggerated my accomplishments too much.- Equinox replied, drawing a gentle laugh from the monarch.

“No, no more than was needed to bring you to my attention, which in turn is why I asked you to accompany her.” Celestia crossed the room and stared up at one of the stained glass windows that lined the walls. “There is a matter that, while currently minor, has been bothering me. More so considering it comes so soon after the appearance of Lord Tirek. Luna and Cadance believe I’m perhaps being a bit too paranoid. For once I hope they’re right.”

The princess nodded to her sister: a mare as black as the night sky with a mane that twinkled with the very light of the stars themselves. Even her crown and collar matched the dark tone of her body, yet strangely her poise and gentle features did not suggest she was dangerous.

“All across Equestria there have been reports of ponies exhibiting symptoms of magical depletion. In every case the signs match that of when Tirek attempted to drain the magic of every pony race, however, none of them are on the same scale. Indeed, most of the time it’s been only a handful of cases here and there, seemingly in random towns across the land, and all of those afflicted recovered soon after. Had this occurred at any other time, it probably wouldn’t even have come to our notice, however, the fact that the restoration of Equinox did nothing to stop their occurrence is cause for concern. “ Luna explained. “What’s more, from my viewings of Fluttershy’s dreams, I noticed that they’ve also coincided with Discord’s strange ailment, which would suggest even more that this is not merely a matter of chance.”

Twilight looked suitably perturbed. “You don’t think Tirek’s managed to escape Tartarus again and is staging a second conquest?”

Celestia shook her head. “I have the report from Cerberus himself that the centaur is still safely locked away with all the monsters down there. No, no this is the work of something new, something we’ve never encountered before, and that has me very worried, which is where you come in, Equinox.” She turned to regard the robot. “From what Twilight has told me, you have several talents that might be of use to us in this endeavor.”

Equinox perked her ears forward as the princess continued.

“You have the ability to mimic the appearance of other ponies as flawlessly as a changeling, you can turn yourself invisible at a whim, your strength has proven sufficient to take down monsters that would normally require magic and you’ve bounced back from injuries that would’ve hospitalized any other equine.”

At this Luna rose and approached the metal pony.

“Also, as stated, one of my special gifts is the ability to see the dreams and night time visions of those in Equestria. By rights there shouldn’t be a pony in the land who’s mind I cannot venture into….yet it seems fate has now thrown an exception into the mix : your thoughts, and your dreams remain curiously closed off. In spite of all my power I cannot access them.” ”

She cupped a hoof under Equinox chin and lightly touched their foreheads together as if trying to establish a link between their minds, an effort that sadly went unrewarded, though through no fault on the former's part.

"Actually...I don't think I've ever seen Equinox sleep. She usually spends the night guarding the exterior of the castle." Twilight commented.

- Indeed. On a given day I do not consume enough power to warrant hibernation. As for the concept of 'dreaming', I....I do not know if I am actually capable of that. -

A single spark of magic arched from the black alicorn’s horn to the silver one’s. Equinox hastily backed away as her vision momentarily fizzled out, and then rebooted.

- That said, I must request that you please refrain from attempting to investigate the matter on your own for the moment. My systems…have not been calibrated to handle magic.-

Luna arched an eyebrow, then both eyebrows, and then her entire face scrunched up as realization dawned.

“Oh right, Twilight did mention that’s how you ended up with no memory in the first pla….uh, I mean….oh dear….”

Feeling a disappointed gaze from the purple alicorn boring its way into the back of her head, Luna giggled uneasily and promptly bowed.

“Forgive me, I will remember to exercise caution with my power around you from now on.”

Equinox cocked her head to the side, apparently caught off guard by the sight of one of Equestria’s highest authorities humbly apologizing to her.

- That is very kind of you, Princess Luna, however I assure you your apology is unnecessary.- The robot hastily stated. Deeming that she needed to take over, Celestia cut back in.

“Yes, well, ironically, despite the truth that you are not one of us, you’ve still proven you are more like us than I was expecting, and that is why I believe you can help.”

Though this was praise of the highest caliber, Equinox found it did not bring her cheer.

- If I may interrupt, Princess Celestia, I must point out that all of what you mentioned comes with a considerable catch.-

“Yes, Twilight told us about that too. After some consideration it’s lead me to believe I can offer you something in return.” The white alicorn strode over and gazed ponderously down at the robot. “On my word, any resource in Equestria that may help you regain the knowledge of who you are and what you can do will be made available for your use, if you agree to what I’m about to ask of you.”

This definitely seemed to get Equinox’s attention, if the mechanical chirps and whirrs of her mind speedily processing the offer was any indication.

- I have analyzed your terms and find them acceptable. What do you require of me?- She replied after a micro second of deliberation. With a resigned sigh, Celestia closed her eyes.

“Use your special abilities to find out what is causing these fluctuations in Equestria’s magic levels. While your appearance has attracted a fair amount of local attention, you are still an unknown entity to the world at large. The fact that even Luna can’t detect you means you are virtually a ghost, therefore you should have no problem infiltrating the public and conducting your investigation covertly.”

More chirps and whirrs issued from the robot, however, they came at a slower, more hesitant pace, which matched with the air of uncertainty that Celestia swore she saw for the briefest of moments in Equinox’s eyes. Twilight seemed to share the feeling as she stepped forward to speak.

“Wait, if I’m understanding correctly here, you want Equinox to….spy on other ponies?”

Celestia nodded, though her movements were heavy with regret.

“I’m fully aware that this is a…well, dishonest course of action, but hear me out: if we can identify the cause of this phenomenon while it’s still a relatively minor concern we could potentially prevent another full scale crisis. Equestria has just gotten back onto its hooves from Tirek’s conquest, we cannot hope to stand up to another threat arising so soon afterwards.” She said. Nodding in agreement, Cadence finally took her turn to stand up and speak.

“What’s more, from your reports, I feel confident that Equinox is truly and firmly on the side of good. Unlike Discord, I sense she can be trusted.” The pink alicorn softly replied.

Twilight sighed, still feeling unsure about this new prospect. On the other hoof though, she did have to concede that there was some logic to her fellow princess’ reasoning, and on that she also had to acknowledge that the decision here wasn’t hers to make.

- Your show of trust to an outsider is touching, Your Highnesses. I can only question whether I am up to the task, seeing as currently I cannot intentionally infiltrate anything.- Equinox looked up to see that Cadence was smiling warmly.

“I believe you are. Twilight would never have accepted you as a friend if she felt otherwise, but again, if you require help, we will do what we can to aid you in your service.” The pink pony promised.

“I also wish to emphasize that this is by no means an order. I would never force anyone to accept a task such as this.” Celestia added, which seemed to quell some of Equinox’s doubt. Light coursed across her body and she gave a few more whirrs and beeps of contemplation. This time it took her about five seconds to reach a decision.

- I have refined my analysis to account for the new data presented. Your insistence that I be allowed to choose for myself instills an unexpected urge within me to co-operate. For the amicability and concern I have been shown, by you and the other ponies, I feel that I must help you.-

To Celestia’s satisfaction, and Twilight’s concern, the metal alicon bowed again.

- I will do as you ask, Princess Celestia, to the optimum level of my abilities.-

Though she visibly wished things did not have to go this way, the monarch nodded slowly.

“Thank you, Equinox, and good luck. Report back to us once you have turned up something.”

Celestia returned to her throne, as did Luna. Seeing the conversation was now over, Equinox turned to leave, though Twilight did not follow her. The purple alicorn looked very torn, halfway between wanting to believe her beloved mentor was doing the right thing, yet also still feeling the weight of doubt sitting in the pit of her stomach like a rock. Figuring arguing would be pointless; she finally joined her cybernetic friend in the hallway outside.

“Well, that was not what I was expecting.” She said disdainfully. “You really think you can do this, Equinox?”

The robot stared straight ahead, still deep in thought.

- As Princess Celestia stated I possess the most suitable skill set for such a mission. Practically, she was wise to charge me with undertaking it…-

Equinox paused as strips of blue light zigzagged through her mane.

– Ethically, on the other hoof….I find myself conflicted. Over the past few weeks I have built up trust between many ponies. Now I face the possibility of having to subvert that trust for the sake of the greater good. -

Twilight blinked in surprise. She hadn’t been expecting her friend to be facing the same issues of doubt as she was.

“Well Celestia has only ever acted in the interests of Equestria. We must have faith that her intentions here are the same." She stated. " That said, we can always go back in and say you’ve changed your mind if you want…”

Equinox sternly shook her head.

- Negative. There is nothing to suggest that the situation I outlined will in fact happen. There is just as much possibility that whatever is causing the fluctuations is a harmless facet that can be easily remedied. I cannot confirm or deny either unless I do as asked.-

Equinox’s glowing eyes turned to Twilight, as if to plead for her advice.

- However, based on the social data gathered from when I previously exhibited my abilities I calculate a 79.62% chance of alienating those I have made friends of if I were to begin conducting acts of espionage on them. Additionally there is also the matter that I promised you I would not take any additional risks to trigger my higher functions, and I have no cause to go against that promise.-

Twilight strained her ears in confusion. Was Equinox actually worried about this?

- I estimate a strong likelihood that this will result in a functional impasse, certainly a conflict of interest if I do not approach it tactfully.-

Realizing the robot was as she thought, Twilight gasped. Privately she’d thought Equinox had accepted purely because of the incentive Celestia had offered. Now, however, she saw that the metal alicorn’s intentions were not born out of the desire for personal gain, she genuinely wanted to help, but feared that she would screw it up somehow. Almost instinctively the purple mare reached out to rest a hoof on top of her friends’, giving her a strong yet understanding smile.

“Well, between you and me, what if I acted as your co-advisor? You can discuss what happens with me, and I’ll let you know if I feel you’re doing something that might upset somepony? That way you have a voice of experience to fall back on.” She said. Again there was that odd cock of the head, followed by the burst of chirps and whirrs.

- I find that a very acceptable arrangement, Princess Twilight. If we may, I must return and formulate a plan of action now.-

Nodding her agreement, Twilight departed the palace with her friend, finding Shining Armor waiting for them on the front steps.

“Oh hi! How’d it go in there?” He asked, to which Twilight just giggled.

“Oh fine, fine! Just a minor niggle Celestia wanted to share with us. Nothing serious.” She said, much to her brother’s relief.

“Well good. After the nightmare we just recovered from I was hoping things could finally get back to normal around here. Last thing we need is another disaster waiting right around the corner, eh?”

Twilight shot Equinox an uneasy glance, and the robot reciprocated silently as the trio headed back through Canterlot.

- Only time will tell, Guardian Shining Armor. Only time. -

Author's Note:

It takes a lot of effort to build up friendship, and only one wrong step to potentially destroy it. As the powers that be in Equestria hand Equinox her most difficult task yet, how will she manage to maintain the former and avoid the latter?