• Published 6th Dec 2014
  • 781 Views, 3 Comments

Wish Weaver - Limescale



One freak moment in time brings forth Equestria's greatest challenge yet, not from the lands it holds dear but from the stars that have watched over it since time began!

  • ...
0
 3
 781

Wish Weaver - Chapter 14: At Odds With The Ordinary

My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic
Wish Weaver - Chapter 14: At odds with the ordinary.

This was wrong, this was not productive, and yet here Calypso stood, in the middle of the Carousel Boutique’s fitting room as Rarity measured her from all angles.

“Now normally I’d ask you to remove a few of these robes to get a more accurate scale for your figure, but I’m guessing with the way you cover yourself so heavily, such is considered taboo where you come from?” The unicorn queried.

“Something like that.” The mare murmured under her veil. “Though if you absolutely need me too…”

“Not in the least! I wouldn’t dare dream of making a client uncomfortable just for my own convenience.” Rarity sharply replied as she studied the rich pattern woven through the mare’s clothing. “A designer of my caliber can always adapt to a challenge, and honestly I find it more enriching to study the tapestry of your threads.”

Rather than soothe Calypso this just made her more uneasy.

“You honestly like the design?” She asked.

“More than you can imagine. The expertise of the weave is flawless, the flow of the patterns exemplary, and the use of such vibrant hues of red and gold would make even Celestia herself blush!” Rarity noted her measurements down on a pad and whisked to her fabric selections to start picking out colors. “You must tell me who designed these for you!”

Calypso fidgeted with her hooves as she quietly replied. “I actually did them myself. Being a lone traveler for so long, I really had no other choice.”

Rarity’s eyes lit up. Dropping her fabrics she ran over to examine the mare’s robes again.

“This is all your work then? Oooh, now that is too much! You’re a natural for fashion, as much as I am, darling!” She proclaimed. Calypso turned away as if embarrassed.

“Thank you.” The hooded mare replied as the unicorn ran back and levitated more fabric.

“Well, now I really must put my best effort in! See that I do not disappoint a fellow enthusiast!” She smiled.

“Again, it was simply because I had no one else to rely upon.” Calypso backed away as Rarity shook her head.

“Even so, the results demand commendation!” She replied while levitating a pencil to her sketch board. “Now let’s see, we can design you something that’s sure to hold its own against the elements for when you travel, or I could whip something fabulous for a day out. Alternately there’s plenty that could be done with a stylish night time ensemble…hmmm…I suppose it would depend on what you plan to do while here…”

Calypso averted her gaze.

“Oh I hadn’t actually thought about that, beyond just doing what I can for those who need help.” She expected Rarity to be disappointed, but the unicorn just kept smiling as she began sketching as speed.

“I’ll start with the traveler idea then.” She drew out a fashionable yet practical collection of robes, hoods and veil designs, each intended to be light and comfortable to wear, yet still resilient to typical hazards like rain, mud and sweat. Behind her, Calypso watched in awe.

“For one who is still a stranger to you, you seem most enthusiastic about helping me.” She commented.

“Well, let’s just say you’re not the first exotic thing to have popped up in Ponyville. Indeed over these last few weeks I’ve had the pleasure of befriending another oddity who turned up before you.” Rarity replied as she stepped over and began holding up sheets of differing colors against Calypso’s back.

“Then all those who..who are….out of the ordinary are equally welcome here?” The robed mare queried.

“As welcome as we can make them. Twilight would have it no other way!” Rarity said. Calypso nodded and relaxed her shoulders as the unicorn swapped one layer of fabric for another, idly rubbing a hoof against her chin as she gauged which of the colors worked best for her customer. “Hmmm, these all are far too mild to work. We need something that really pops for you!”

Calypso was about to mention such was not necessary, but by the time she’d opened her mouth Rarity had already dashed out of the fitting room and down the stairs to the lower levels. Sighing inwardly, the mare stood in awkward silence till she heard the clops of the unicorn trudging back up, with a pile of far more exotically colored fabrics floating above her head.

“Here, let’s see what we can do with a little palomino purple and some appaloosa amber!” She set the pile down and began testing them against Calypso’s flank. The hooded mare shifted in evident discomfort.

“This is really….far…far too kind of you, Miss Rarity.” She said.

“Nonsense, you did us a fine service, you deserve proper recognition for it. This is simply my way of showing the latter.” Rarity assured. Nodding again, the hooded mare took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

“Then I apologize for my…reluctance. It has been a while since I’ve interacted with anyone in a manner that is not business related.” She said. Lowering the fabric from her flank, Rarity cocked her head, then smiled softly.

“Well, while there’s no need to be sorry, I can certainly understand that.” She said while holding up two sheets layered on top of each other. “Yes, I think that’s just the right combination!”

She levitated the fabric over to her sewing table and set to work on marking where to trim them in order to get the perfect shape. Behind her veil, Calypso seemed almost envious as the unicorn went about her work with a lightness in her hooves and a cheery brightness to her expression.

“Yes, as I mentioned in passing before, years ago something happened that…required me to leave home, to leave behind everything and everyone I knew. I made a mistake, and many folk were hurt.” The robed mare said, if for no other reason than to fill the silence. Though she kept snipping away with her scissors, Rarity cocked an ear, indicating she was listening intently.

“As such I took to traveling the road, alone, as a means of atoning for my error…and to try and hone my powers so that I could eventually make up for it.”

Realizing this was going deeper than idle chatter, Rarity put down her tools and turned around to give Calypso her full attention. She looked most sympathetic to the hooded mare’s pain, yet Calypso still turned away.

“Forgive me, I feel like it’s something I should talk about, but…it’s painful to say.” Calypso replied.

The unicorn slid off her stool and walked over to rest a caring hoof on her client’s shoulder.

“Well, while I don’t wish to pry, know that some of the most caring folk are here in Ponyville. While you’re among us, I’d be happy to put you in touch with a few of them.” The unicorn replied. Calypso looked out the window of the fitting room, in the direction of where her tent was set up. She’d draped a sign over the entrance saying she’d be out for a few hours, yet even as she’d walked to Rarity’s shop ponies were still lining up, adamant about holding onto their spots for when she returned.

“I feel I’ve already become quite well connected as it is. The residents of this town have confessed some of their most personal secrets to me in hopes that I can aid them in what they yearn for.” Calypso closed her eyes and shivered. Rarity could imagine why.

“And thus you worry they’ll abuse your talents for their own gain?” She queried.

Calypso cleared her throat and looked away again.

“Something like that.” She repeated.

“Well, speaking from personal experience, while that can happen, it’s not very likely here. Ponyville has seen the worst of what indulgence and greed can wrought, and even if they do start to demand more than you feel comfortable delivering on, a simple denial usually does the trick.” Rarity smiled, though the hooded mare now looked upset.

“It didn’t the last time I tried.” She stated under her breath. With the situation now taking a very awkward turn, Rarity tentatively looked to the cloth she was working on and levitated a mannequin over to herself.

“I see….um…well, you can always come back to me then. As I said, I’m friends with Princess Twilight and can certainly put in a word for you if needed.” She hastily began laying the fabric over the mannequin and began making adjustments with a needle and thread.

“Again that is kind of you, but hopefully such will not be needed….needed.” Calypso bit her lip under her veil. “Anyway, such is not worthwhile conversation for a fitting session.”

Rarity giggled. “Perhaps not, but just as you’re willing to listen to other ponies’ problems, I can do the same.” She studied the shape her work was taking and grinned as an idea struck. “Now, while the gold border around the outside will look simply fabulous, I could also weave some silver into the main body for added dazzle. Why don’t I whip up a small test patch and you can tell me how it looks?”

Another spool filled with a shiny, metallic thread was levitated off the table, only to then be dropped back down onto it when there came a knock at the door.

“Sis? Can I interrupt for a moment?” Sweetie Belle queried from outside. Rolling her eyes at being disturbed, Rarity walked over and opened the door.

“Can this please wait? I have a client right now, and you’re meant to be watching the store downstairs!” She said to the smaller unicorn outside.

“I’m sorry Sis, but your coltfriend just dropped by unexpectedly. He wanted to know if he can come up to see you.” Sweetie Belle grinned, much to Rarity’s puzzlement.

“Coltfriend? I don’t have a colt…uh…oh…” The older unicorn’s voice dropped off as she beheld Spike standing behind her sister. He had a red bowtie on, and a beautiful bunch of flowers in his arms.

“Oh…are we not at the stage where I can surprise you with lunch then? Cause you left the castle without taking anything to eat so I thought I could….uh….” Spike sounded disappointed, and also afraid he’d made a terrible faux pas. Rarity promptly shoved the door open and beckoned both foal and dragon in.

“No…I mean NO! Oh Spikey, you didn’t have to do that for me!” She exclaimed as the dragon handed over the bouquet.

“Actually, technically, yes I did. You made me that cute new kitchen apron so I had to do something in return.” He replied which made Rarity blush.

“Oh come now, I promised you something special for your birthday and that was overdue as it was. There is no need for you to spend bits on me in return!” She sounded very stern, however, with the very next breath she sniffed the sweet scent of the flowers in her hooves, and her tummy promptly rumbled in want.

“That said…I am feeling rather hungry, and I haven’t had a break yet….oooh and I also had to postpone our date last night…” She gazed down at the dragon again, noting how damn adorable he looked with his tie, and the little smile on his face.

“You really are far too kind to me, Spike.” She kissed him softly on the lips, then drew back as Sweetie Belle collapsed into giggles. “This still doesn’t mean he’s my coltfriend!”

“Sis…please. Ever since you two moved in together it’s been no secret that you’ve been getting serious about your relationship!” She beamed. Rarity flung her mane back in an attempt to appear indignant.

“He is NOT my…colt…friend!” Rarity paused, much to Spike’s dismay. “He’s a dragon, a very different and far more considerate type. Please see that you address him as such!” She commanded while walking back to her sewing table. If this was meant to silence her sister it failed miserably, she just laughed harder while Spike now looked as bashful as his unicorn did.

“Way to put me on a pedestal, Rarity.” He meeped.

“Awwww, I think it’s cute. You two seem so much happier since you got together.” Sweetie Belle argued.

“Yeah but, there’s a reason we’re trying to not make too much of a fuss about it for the moment.” Spike replied before noticing the gaping mare that was staring at them. “If you’ll kindly follow me back downstairs I’ll explain why. We are interrupting your sister here, after all.”
He shooed Sweetie back out of the room, much to Rarity’s relief, and Calypso’s bewilderment.

“Sorry, it’s not what that looked like…well, I mean it is but…” Rarity had to stop and think how she was going to explain what just happened. As the hooded mare continued to silently bore a hole into her with her eyes, she took a deep breath and tried to speak properly.

“He’s had something of a crush on me for as long as we’ve been friends. At first I was too lost in my own selfishness to notice, but after a number of less than pleasant experiences I’ve come to realize how much he really means to me.” She looked down at the flowers and delicately took a bite. Savoring their flavor she swallowed and sighed.

“He is a dragon though…” Calypso mentioned.

“Yes but honestly I’ve had my share of stallions, and none of them showed anywhere near the maturity or the care, or the simple sweetness he has. There came a point where the species difference ceased to matter for me.”

Calypso awkwardly turned to look out the window again. “I see.”

Pushing the flowers aside, Rarity picked up her needles and thread again. “Anyway, that’s probably of no interest to you. Let’s get back to making you a nice gorgeous addition to your wardrobe.”

Though her gaze returned to the mannequin, Calypso’s attention still seemed to be on other things.
“That small..smaller unicorn….she called you ‘sis’….”

“Yes, I’m afraid we are related, but don’t let her fillyish behavior fool you though. She’s a real hoof-ful, but she’s also a darling.” Rarity said before her eyes went wide. “Oh and there I go rambling about my own life again. Well, consider it a return for you trusting me enough to tell me about yourself.”

Calypso ground her hooves against the floor as something in her seemed to snap.

“I…I think I’d better go now. My own customers are still expecting me.”

Rarity looked up from her work in puzzlement.

“What? But I haven’t even shown you what I was planning with the silver weave!”

Calypso waved her off as she walked with a hurried pace to the door.

“Whatever you do I’m sure will look beautiful. I’m sorry but, this may have been a mistake.”

Now the unicorn was completely lost, and getting a tad nervous that she’d offended her client.

“Not in the least! You’re been perfectly good company!” She pleaded. Calypso paused at the door as if rethinking her actions. But then she reached out and pushed the door open anyway.

“As have you…I…I simply cannot keep my own means of making a living waiting.”

Rarity looked crestfallen, but she had to concede that the robed mare had a point.

“Okay, I should have this ready for you in another day or so.”

Calypso nodded.

“Just drop…drop…drop it by my tent. And again, thank you!”

The hooded equine almost ran out of the boutique, darting for the nearest alleyway and clutching her robe around herself when she was finally out of sight. She seemed ashamed at having left so abruptly, but the thought of going back seemed to pain her more. After a moment’s pause she made her way through the backstreets to her tent, taking exceptional care to avoid anypony seeing her till at last she spied the flowing red cloth of her abode. Resting against the wall of a building, she allowed her grip to loosen, and her dismay at her behavior to be slid neatly underneath the more familiar sensation of urgency. She had work to do, and there could be no more distractions! What had happened was a moment of weakness, but she had gotten over it.

Deeming she’d gotten control of herself again, Calypso stepped out into the main street, much to the delight of the ponies still lining up for her services.

“Hey, she’s back!”

“Alright! Knew it’d be worth keeping my spot here!”

“Hey, can we get a discount on the price? I mean, for the wait?”

“Can I take priority? I have a foal here who desperately needs your help!”

Calypso gestured to her public that she would tend to all their woes in due course. Entering her tent she hurried to the back room and knocked the chest containing her money to the floor. Underneath was a very foreign looking container, made of a blue hued metal with strips of lights flowing across its oblong surface.

“These creatures…they know-they know so lit-little….such innocence…such good intentions…such foo-fool-foolishness (foolishness)” She collapsed against the container, letting her front hooves flop limply across its lid. “Their world is perfect for our needs….but…they are good folk….undeserv-undeserrrving of….”

The container seemed to sense her despair, or perhaps whatever was inside it did. The light changed course to flow around her hooves, warming them with a pale yellow aura as if to assuage her troubled mind.

“No…we have no choice. If they are not stopped, more worlds…more worlds will fall as yours did. Our work must be completed before it is too…too..too..late!” Calypso planted her hooves into the light, as if worshipping their otherworldly aura. Presently she found the will to get back up again, if only to find a sheet and cover the container before placing her money chest back on top. A fair amount of bits had spilled on the floor but she paid them no mind, instead focusing on adjusting her robes to make herself presentable again.

“There is nothing to stop us. We were not pursue…pursued…they have no means of detecting our actions. If there is still div-div-divinity (divinity) amidst the stars, it must wiiiiiish for our su-succ-succ-success.” She mused. Spying the still untouched box of cupcakes donated to her from the Cake family, Calypso picked them up and stepped outside her tent again.

“I thank you all for your patience. I will now be able to serve you.” She called to the crowd, casually stuffing the cupcakes into a nearby trashcan as she put her sign back up.

Ponyville returned to its regularly scheduled flow. From where she was watching it in the shadows, Equinox finished recording the passage of the various ponies for her files and departed, content that was all as it should be for now.

Yes, for now…..

Author's Note:

So finally got another chapter finished, for better or worse. Better because it finally gives the titular character a bit more time to develop, worse because, well, I'm promising a lot and still only revealing little tidbits. I promise that will cease as soon as I get the next chapter done as this series is getting close to the final wrap up.

Also yeah as this chapter indicates I'm going to be revealing a few of my own preferred OTPs soon. Always wanted to explore a little Sparity pairing of my own (and will probably look into some Fluttercord further down the line) so this seemed a nice spot to finally introduce it.

Sorry for the delay, hoping my schedule permits me to churn out the next part faster!