• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 1,061 Views, 11 Comments

Torn Asunder - Quilled Hoof



Cadence and Shining Armor's honeymoon takes them to an island paradise which holds an ancient secret

  • ...
3
 11
 1,061

5: Fact and Fiction

Chapter 5: Fact and Fiction

“Just a teensy weensy bit higher...perfect!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, hopping in circles around the base of the ladder as Applejack made her way down carefully and stood back to examine her handiwork.

“Not bad for a morning’s work, I reckon.”

It was just before noon and the pegasus ponies of Cloudsdale had given Ponyville a forecast of blue skies all day - perfect for a party. The west grove of Sweet Apple Acres was hardly recognizable as an orchard after Pinkie Pie had worked her magic. The sunlight that penetrated the trees was stopped by brightly colored streamers and bunches of balloons straining to explore the skies. Hay bales ringed the grove to give seating and a natural boundary to the soon-to-be packed party. A table to one side held two punch bowls full to the brim and copious amounts of cakes and sweets. Strung between the two tallest trees in the grove was a beautifully hand painted sign, which Applejack had finished just 10 minutes previous. With the last piece of decorations in order, there was only one thing left to do - have a party!

An hour later, a blindfolded but grinning Big Macintosh was led up to the grove. As the blindfold was pulled from his eyes, a chorus of “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” met his ears and he smiled even wider. The Apple family women mobbed Big Mac and showered him in hugs before releasing him to give his birthday speech:

“Thank you everypony, for doin’ this for me.”

A sheepish look came over Big Mac, and growing more and more uncomfortable with the dozens of pairs of eyes locked on him he gave a wave to Pinkie Pie who stood ready and willing at the record player. As music filled the grove,ponies began queuing to wish Big Mac their best personally and Pinkie enthusiastically led a Fluttershy to the dance floor telling her about an all new dance she picked up at the Wedding.

Twilight and Rarity sat off to the side, watching the festivities and commenting on the too-often glances Cheerilee sent at Big Mac as she pretended to listen to the what the mayor was trying to tell her about the upcoming midsummer celebration.

“Do you really think they would make a good couple? I mean Cheerilee is not much older than I am, and Big Mac is so...quiet” Rarity asked in a matter-of-fact tone as she sipped punch daintily from her cup.
“They are two of the kindest ponies I know and besides, I think we are getting rather good at this wedding thing” Twilight said with a laugh. Rarity joined in and as she was just about to start discussing Cheerilee’s imaginary wedding gown she noticed a commotion at the entrance of the party.
“What do you suppose that is all about?” Rarity asked, putting down her punch and straining her neck to see the newcomer who was causing such a ruckus. Her wish was granted as two ponies parted, both pointing their hooves at Twilight. Between them stood an exhausted but determined mailpony who, catching Twilight’s eye, started in a mad dash towards them.

“Miss Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville?” the mailpony said, catching his breath as he looked back and forth between Rarity and Twilight.

“That’s me!” Twilight said, “What is this about?”

“O Thank Celestia! Miss Sparkle, I have a letter for you which is of the utmost importance. A miss Cadence, its sender, said it was on the business of Princess Celestia and regards the captain of her Royal Guard?” he finished, thrusting a note into Twilight’s hooves.

“Shining Armor? Is he alright?!” She asked, tearing open the letter and reading as fast as she could. “Oh, oh no. He didn’t - he wouldn’t!”

“What is it dear?” Rarity asked, her confusion at the mailpony’s fervor replaced with concern.

Twilight finished her second read through of the letter and turned to Rarity, “Cadence needs our help - I’ll explain the rest on the way. Get the others, I’ll get us on the quickest train to Ferrier Port. Tell the others to pack for adventure.” With that, she thanked the mailpony again - who was being led over to the refreshments - and bolted for Ponyville junction.

Rarity sighed, “And just when I thought things were back to normal.” She saw Fluttershy standing quietly off to one side and started towards her, trying to think of a way to describe what just happened.

~~~~~~~~~~

The six ponies were plastered the the windows of the train as Port Ferrier came into view. Twilight’s eyes did not settle on the bustling town, instead drifting to the farthest horizon of the sea, searching. While Twilight was lost in thought, the other ponies could barely contain their excitement.

“Isn’t the sea just absolutely stunning? I’ve never seen such a beautiful shade of blue in my whole life. I must remember to work it into one of my designs.” Rarity said, though to whom exactly it wasn’t clear.

“I wonder if we will see any whales or dolphins? I hope they are friendly. Oh what if they don’t like me?” Fluttershy fretted, though Applejack reassured her that if they were to meet any ocean creatures, she was sure they would love Fluttershy just as much as her woodland friends did.

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were arguing over wind currents and pointing excitedly back and forth between a map set between them and the vista out the window.

“No Dashie, we want to head WEST first, THEN turn south. Otherwise we will be blown way off course!”

“But that will take FOREVER! I can pull us if the wind doesn’t go our way - I am the best young flier in Equestria after all!” Rainbow Dash said, flexing her wings.

“Fine we’ll try it your way, but don’t look at me if we end up in Saddle Arabia - actually that would be great! I’ve heard they have the best parades, and -’

“SHE WAS REAL!”

All the ponies turned to look at Twilight who, though slightly embarrassed from shouting, was clearly itching to explain.

“Sorry girls, but I finally think I figured why Cadence’s letter got me so worried and where I’ve heard of Maneoa before!”

Applejack voiced what they were all thinking, “I was kind of wondering why you seemed so worried about your brother. I mean I understand why Cadence would be all in a tizzy, but this seems like an awful long trip just to calm her down. We are happy to come with and help in any way we can but don’t you think Shining Armor can take care of himself?” The other ponies nodded, though of course only Applejack’s honesty had allowed her to question Twilight’s strong reaction.

“I think my brother is very capable, but when I read that letter, something inside me seized up. I couldn’t put my hoof on where this feeling of dread came from, but I trust Cadence, and know she wouldn’t ask for our help unless she really needed it.” Here she took a large breath, “I’m so grateful for you all coming, because now that I’ve remembered why the Gallop’agos islands are so familiar, my brother may be in greater danger than Cadence knows.”

Rainbow Dash perked up, “Maneoa, wasn’t that from...”.

Twilight nodded, “All fiction holds some element of truth - even if the fiction is as outlandish as Daring Do.”

Applejack spoke up: “Is anypony as confused as I am? What do a bunch of made up stories have to do with your brother?”

Clearly in her element, Twilight began, as if standing at the head of a class: “The Adventures of Daring Do the books are works of fiction, but they are not all made-up. When I was in Canterlot, I got really into the Daring Do books. After I devoured them all I needed more, so I scoured the Canterlot library for anything I could find about Daring Do or the author, Compass Rose. Buried in a stack of old biographies I found one of Compass Rose, in which she stated where she got the inspiration for Daring Do. She said “Daring Do is not so much a character as she is a part of me - so writing for her came naturally”. I remembered this because it seemed very strange given how secretive and reclusive Compass Rose was known to be. She may have been a great writer but adventuring did not seem her style. When she died, her estate passed to her nephew, who sold it to Princess Celestia - an avid admirer of Rose’s works. When I asked Celestia if she had known Rose, she smiled and said, ‘Oh Compass and I were very close. She was one of the bravest ponies I ever knew, and knew equestria better than almost anypony. She had that confidence, that daring attitude, as if she could do anything.’ I didn’t think much of it at the time but it all makes sense now. Compass Rose WAS Daring Do. That’s how she knew so much about Equestria, that’s why nopony ever saw her, and that’s why I’m so worried about Shining Armor. If Daring Do was real, then who says her stories weren’t real too? And that leads us to the Gallop’agos and Maneoa and...”

Beyond the Wall of the Four” Rainbow Dash finished. “Twilight if you’re right, and the story in that book is real, then your brother’s life could be in danger.”

“I know, which is all the more reason to hurry and stop him before he finds out how real that story is.”