• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 1,060 Views, 11 Comments

Torn Asunder - Quilled Hoof



Cadence and Shining Armor's honeymoon takes them to an island paradise which holds an ancient secret

  • ...
3
 11
 1,060

4: Preparations

Chapter 4: Preparations

Kissing Cadence lightly on the forehead and making sure his note was visible on the pillow, Shining Armor set off just past midnight into town. He knew he would not find anypony awake to aid his mission, but walking through town that evening he had noticed a few missing pony fliers showing Tranquility’s picture and, more importantly to him, the address of her parents.

Flier in hand, Shining Armor knocked strongly on the door to the squat one-level house. A red-eyed pony came to the door looking exhausted but not as if from sleeping. “Who are you? What do you want at this hour?” he said gruffly.

“My name is Shining Armor, and I am captain of the royal guard in Canterlot. I’m come to help find your daughter” Shining Armor said with as much confidence as he could muster.

At the mention of his daughter the pony went stiff and his eyes narrowed: “If this is some kind of sick joke I want no part of it, just leave my family in peace”. He started to shut the door.

“Wait, please!” Shining Armor begged, holding his hoof out. “I’m telling the truth. I heard about what happened to Tranquility and believe I might know where to find her - I just need to get over the Wall.”

Tranquility’s father looked hard at Shining Armor, taking in his stature and cutie mark. He seemed to accept Shining Armor’s credentials and invited him inside. “If you know what happened to Tranquility, you must have been told by now that no one crosses the wall. It is forbidden - Tranquility knows...knew that just as we all do.”

Shining Armor adopted his most earnest tone, “But no-pony knows why. If there is even the slimmest chance she is somewhere on this island, I must do what I can to find her. Even if it means finding out why crossing the wall is so forbidden.”

The pony, who went by the name of Zen, looked into Shining Armor’s eyes and saw that his words were true - he really would brave the Wall to find Tranquility. Hardening himself to his sadness, he gave Shining Armor a long look. “I thank you...from the bottom of my heart... for your help. In truth I had considered crossing by myself, but was so lost in grieving that I could barely get up in the morning. Well if we are going to do this, we will do it right! I’ll pack us some gear, a map, and provisions. We can set off as soon as you are ready. If we leave soon, we can make it to the wall by sunrise and try to find a way across in the light of day. Do you have anything to see to before we set out?”

Shining Armor swallowed hard and pictured Cadence’s sleeping form, a soft smile playing on her face as she dreamt away. “The sooner we leave, the better. I have a promise to keep.”