• Published 17th Nov 2014
  • 6,530 Views, 179 Comments

The Haven - Original Usermane



At the end of 'Keep Calm and Flutter On', Discord leaves with Celestia to do who knows what. But what if he didn't...

  • ...
7
 179
 6,530

Medical Magic

The newly married couple headed back early the next morning, catching the earliest train they could so Fluttershy could get back before anypony suspected that she was gone. Most ponies were up by then, but most just assumed that she’d come into town from her cottage for something, so she got home without drawing attention to herself.

“We should get me moved into the haven,” Fluttershy decided when they got inside. “We can share your room, now, though I’ll have to keep mine set up in the normal part of the house for appearance’s sake.”

“Of course, milady,” Discord said dramatically, bowing at the waist and flying up to her room to help gather her things. Considering that ponies don’t usually wear clothes and Fluttershy wasn’t overly attached to her material possessions, it took less than ten minutes for all of her important items to be transferred over.

“Perfect,” she said happily.

“You sure you don’t mind the chaos?” Discord asked skeptically, looking around his extremely eclectic room.

“I married you, didn’t I?” Fluttershy laughed. He grinned.

“Yes. Yes you did.”

Things settled back into routine after that. With the anger at Discord yet again fresh on everypony’s mind, he stopped showing up in town again, and was working with Celestia to come up with slightly more chaotic ways for him to help out in Equestria- funnily enough, his previous suggestions of providing food and shelter for the needy turned out to be the best plan, since he could give the homes the strangest layouts and summon up the most random of foods in ridiculous quantities. Little by little, his body regained the strength needed to contain his magic, and he got back the ability of long-range teleportation, as well as other things.

Fluttershy, meanwhile, got back into the swing of taking care of her animals after everything that had happened. She often tried to speak on Discord’s behalf whenever it came up with her friends, but they didn’t want to hear it, which only served to make her sad, so she learned to stop bringing it up.

But, of course, Fluttershy had learned by now that when you’re living with the master of chaos, the moment things calm down is when they change. Drastically.

A few months later, Discord was drafted to help with setup for the upcoming Grand Galloping Gala, and while Fluttershy had been asked to have her birds perform, there wasn’t anything that she had to be in Canterlot for, so she spent her days at home alone practicing. On one particular morning, her friends had all decided to come over and watch, since at the Gala itself they all had responsibilities that year, and wouldn’t be able to watch the actual performance.

Her stage fright was never as bad in front of just her friends, so Fluttershy was happy to perform for them, especially since all she had to do was direct, and it would be a good practice before she had to conduct in front of everypony at the Gala… she was trying not to think about it.

The practice went perfectly, as Mr. Bluejay had finally fixed his pitch problems, and the other five all stomped the ground politely.

“That was lovely, Fluttershy!” Twilight said. “I’m sure it’ll be wonderful at the Gala!”

“Thanks, Twilight,” Fluttershy said modestly. “I just hope I can get through it at…” She trailed off as she was overcome with a wave of nausea.

“Flutters? You okay?” Rainbow asked, taking notice of the look on Fluttershy’s face.

“I- ugh,” Fluttershy attempted, but she couldn’t get it out for fear of vomiting, so she ran to some nearby bushes and emptied her stomach.

“Fluttershy, dear!?” Rarity exclaimed worriedly, trotting over and rubbing soothing circles on Fluttershy’s back. “Are you sick? You should have told us, we could have rescheduled!”

“It just hit me all of a sudden,” Fluttershy said. “I… I feel better, now, I think.”

“Maybe ya oughtta lie down, sugarcube,” Applejack suggested. “Best thing for it is ta get some rest.”

“No, really, I feel fine now,” Fluttershy declined.

“Just because you feel fine doesn’t mean you are,” Twilight said with a frown. “You could be coming down with something.”

“Oh my gosh FLUTTERSHY IS GOING TO DIE!” Pinkie wailed.

“I doubt it’s that serious, Pinkie, it’s alright. I have some diagnostic spells back at the library. Let’s head over and I can see whether it’s something we need to worry about.”

“Oh, but I’m sure it’s nothing,” Fluttershy repeated. “I don’t want to be a bother.”

“Fluttershy, it’ll be more of a bother if it turns out to be something serious and we all have to worry about you in the hospital again,” Rainbow pointed out. “What harm can a little check-up do, anyway?”

“Well… I suppose you’re right,” Fluttershy caved, especially when she imagined how Discord would react if he found out she’d thrown up and then refused medical assistance.

“Good. Then let’s make sure you really are fine,” Twilight said authoritatively, and led the way through town and into the new library. “Spike!”

“What is it, Twilight?” Spike asked, poking his head out of a doorway and noticing that the whole gang was there. “Oh, hey, everypony!”

“Spike, do you know where Medical Magic and Anatomical Anomalies is?” Twilight asked.

“Sure, we just reorganized yesterday. It’s right here,” he said, pulling a thick tome off of a shelf. Twilight took it with her magic and Rarity ushered an embarrassed Fluttershy onto a couch to relax. “Is something wrong?”

“Fluttershy here may be comin’ down with somethin’,” Applejack said. “Twi was gonna see if she could figure out what.”

“I’m sure I’ll be fine, though,” Fluttershy reassured again.

“Can’t hurt to be sure,” Twilight repeated again. She opened up the book to the index and quickly looked up the spell she had in mind. “Ah, here it is.” She flipped to the page it was on and read through it once or twice. “Alright, I think I’ve got it. Here goes nothing.” She powered up her horn, and an arc of her magenta magical energy connected to Fluttershy and engulfed her.

“What’s the glowy light supposed to be doing?” Pinkie asked.

“It’ll take a minute. The magic is looking her over for any anomalies and trying to determine the cause of her symptoms. When I’ve found it a picture should appear…” At that moment a bead of light began to swell in the middle of the connecting beam, and Fluttershy was released from the magic. The swirling colors finally solidified…