• Published 13th Nov 2014
  • 1,309 Views, 54 Comments

Apple Potpourri - bookplayer



An anthology of scenes and short stories I've written that I didn't want to publish on their own for various reasons. They smell strongly of apples and spices.

  • ...
1
 54
 1,309

A Sisyphain Effort

Author's Note:

Tags: [Romance] [Twilight Sparkle] [Applejack]

At half past six, Twilight guessed that she wasn’t going out to dinner and made herself a salad.

She wasn’t happy with the change of plans, but she knew better than to be angry as she carried her bowl into the front room of the library to wait for Applejack. If Applejack was late, something had come up that was important and unavoidable… and that probably wasn’t good.

Twilight ate at her desk. To avoid worrying too much, she went over a large pile of papers Princess Celestia had sent. They were part of a request to look over the curriculum of one of the courses at Princess Celestia’s school and determine if it was in line with current magical theory, which it seemed not to be. Of course, the study of thaumaturgic signatures was a rapidly evolving field, but it looked like the coursework and textbook hadn’t been updated since she was a student.

She didn’t even notice how long it had been when she heard a knock at the door. She looked up in time to see Spike hop up to answer it.

“Hey, AJ. I thought you guys were going out earlier,” Spike said as he stepped aside and Applejack walked into the room.

“Had a slight change in plans,” Applejack answered, but she was looking at Twilight. “I’m real sorry.”

“That’s okay.” Twilight stood up, and noticed that she’d managed to forget about most of her dinner. “Um, I didn’t really eat yet, but I was having a salad. I can make you one, too.”

“That sounds good,” Applejack agreed.

“The date’s happening here?” Spike rolled his eyes and picked up his book. “Hey, Spike, why don’t you go upstairs and read?”

“I was going to give you until after dinner!” Twilight protested, but he was already climbing the stairs. She turned back to Applejack. “Sorry about that. I’m… not quite sure how to work this out yet.”

“I get it. I ain’t exactly used to havin’ a place to myself,” Applejack said, walking over to Twilight with a smile. She slowly moved in for a kiss. “But, for right now, this is close ‘nough--”

“Sorry, forgot my pillow,” Spike called.

Applejack blinked and pulled away, glancing to watch Spike grab his pillow and head back up the stairs. Twilight just gave a heavy sigh and glared at her valued assistant. As soon as he was gone, Applejack turned back to Twilight, catching the glare on her face.

“It ain’t that bad, sugarcube. He oughta be good for the rest of the night.”

Twilight smiled. “I know… just, kiss me.”

Applejack pressed her lips softly to Twilight’s, and Twilight closed her eyes. This was what she’d been waiting for all evening.

When the kiss broke, Applejack smiled. “Com’ere and sit with me a bit. Supper can wait.”

Applehack laid down on the floor, and Twilight curled up next to her, laying her head on Applejack’s shoulder and nuzzling her mane. “So, why were you late?”

Applejack frowned. “I had to go to the school, and talk with Cheerilee.”

Twilight raised her eyebrows. “Was there a problem?”

“Apple Bloom hasn’t been doin’ her homework…” Applejack stroked Twilight mane, and Twilight felt the tension in the strong body begin to ease.

“That isn’t like her,” Twilight noted.

Applejack nodded and sighed. “She’s been actin’ up for Mac, too. I think it’s ‘cause I been spendin’ too much time away. Organizin’ Nightmare Night, travelin’ with you girls… Apple Bloom needs me ‘round more.” She pursed her lips. “But… she can’t get what she wants by not doin’ what she’s supposed to. And…”

Twilight nuzzled her and finished the thought, “You have a life to live.”

Applejack nodded. Then she sighed and looked down, shaking her head. “That’s ponyfeathers. Apple Bloom’s a little foal, she needs me. Granny and Mac can’t be everythin’ she needs...”

“I know, AJ.”

“I reckon I could tell the Mayor I can’t do Nightmare Night. That would free up some time, but… I been helpin’ with that for years now, and I gave my word.”

Twilight could see the debate in Applejack’s eyes. She laid a hoof on top of Applejack’s and said softly, “I can help.”

“Can ya’?” Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Twilight Sparkle, I can see all them papers on your desk.”

Twilight sighed. “Don’t remind me. One of the courses at Princess Celestia’s is hopelessly outdated. I’m going to have to work with the professor to develop a whole new curriculum, find a new text book, and make sure she’s up to date on the latest advancement… and she’s not going to be happy about that.”

Applejack’s hoof moved around her shoulder and gave a squeeze. “Ponies don’t generally like bein’ told they're doin’ their jobs wrong.”

“It’s sometimes a part of this whole princess thing. I think that’s why Princess Celestia asked me to do it… it’s kind of training. But that’s on top of ponies I have to meet in Canterlot, and the trips with the girls, and…”

“Ya’ don’t have time, sugarcube.” Applejack finished. “You know I understand that.”

“At least we can understand each other,” Twilight said with a half-hearted smile.

“I dunno ‘bout that…” Applejack smiled and nuzzled Twilight. “Learnin’ to run a country ain’t the same as helpin’ to run a farm. It might be a bit more important.”

“But what you do is just as important to you… and to me.” Twilight smiled and reached a hoof up to push back Applejack’s hat. “AJ, you know I love Apple Bloom. I want her to grow up safe and happy, and I know how much you put into that. Let’s face it, she needs a mom, and you fill that space for her. You’re more important to her life than I am to anypony’s.”

Applejack smiled and blushed, but Twilight went on, “And that’s on top of helping to run the farm, and helping to make Ponyville what it is… Maybe the help I give Equestria is important in the grand scheme of things, but the things you do are just as important to the ponies we love.” Twilight’s smile turned sympathetic.” And I know how much pressure that puts on you.”

Applejack nodded. “I reckon you do.”

Twilight laid her head back on Applejack’s shoulder. “So, what do we do about this?”

“Well, I’ll get Pinkie to take over some of Nightmare Night, and make sure she does a good job of it. And I’ll use the extra time to sit with Apple Bloom while she does her homework. And you’ll go to Canterlot a few weekends and get that stuff done for Princess Celestia and the school.” Applejack gave Twilight a sad smile. “And a few weeks from now, somethin’ else’ll come up, and we’ll do it all again.”

“A Sisyphean effort.” Twilight sighed and closed her eyes.

“You know I dunno what that is,” Applejack pointed out.

Twilight looked at Applejack and smiled, running a hoof over her freckled cheek. “I do know that, and I love you for it.”

Applejack returned the smile. “But while we’re doin whatever that is, we’ll hold each other tight for a while. Life’s a bumpy road, but we got this.”

“You know… I can live with that.” Twilight gave Applejack a gentle kiss on her lips.

As they parted, Applejack nuzzled her cheek and whispered in her ear, “Me too, sugarcube. Me too.”