• Published 13th Nov 2014
  • 1,309 Views, 54 Comments

Apple Potpourri - bookplayer



An anthology of scenes and short stories I've written that I didn't want to publish on their own for various reasons. They smell strongly of apples and spices.

  • ...
1
 54
 1,309

Fool Me Twice

Author's Note:

[Romance] [Twilight] [Applejack]

This one takes a bit of explaining as to why I decided to publish it.

I was looking through various gdocs that I hadn't bothered to title for whatever reason (they didn't seem worth it, my computer crashed, etc.) and I stumbled on this. I was reading it and thinking "wow, this is good... it's the cutest TwiJack I've ever read! I wrote this? What was this supposed to be?"

Then I got to the end.

When I was writing Tunnel of Love, in the original draft they went through the tunnel, and what was there was supposed to resemble a adorable fluffy ship fic, the whole point being that this isn't what a relationship is really about. That part got cut.

And I found it. The tunnel fooled me. I just find that really amusing.

Twilight was standing in the sunny orchard next to Applejack. Around her trees were heavy with apples, and bushel baskets surrounded them waiting to be filled. She knew it was the year after their wedding, and that this year’s crops were especially good. She knew that they’d been talking about a foal just as soon as harvest was done, and that the negotiations about who would bear the first one were still ongoing.

She knew there was no comfort in the world like waking up in Applejack’s strong legs, and nothing more exciting than seeing that strong orange body about to pounce her, green eyes narrowed seductively.

And right now there was just peace, as Applejack leaned over to nuzzle her. “I’m glad ya’ got back from Canterlot in time, sugarcube. Work’s a whole lot easier when you’re here with me.”

“I’m glad I’m here, too. I need some exercise, I’ve been spending too much time in council rooms and lecture halls,” Twilight said, leaning against Applejack and enjoying the warmth all around her.

“Don’t you go gettin’ too much today,” Applejack whispered in her ear. “I’ll be givin’ you a good workout this evenin’.”

“I think I need lots of exercise, in that case.” Twilight nuzzled Applejack’s face until she caught her lips in a deep kiss. When it finally broke, she smiled sweetly. “And in return, you need to come to Canterlot with me when harvest is over. You know how much the Griffonstani Ambassador loves it when you cook for him. It makes treaties so much easier when he’s in a good mood after dessert.”

Applejack laughed. “If y'all need my apple fritters for national security, I reckon I oughta step up. We can stay there after winter set-up, and spend Hearth’s Warmin’, and have my family to the palace.”

“That sounds perfect. And, while we’re in Canterlot, we can make a final decision about the first foal…” Twilight smirked.

Applejack smirked back and raised an eyebrow. “Don’t see much decidin’ that needs to happen...”

“You’re so cute when you’re stubborn.” Twilight used her wing to tickle Applejack’s side, setting Applejack giggling.

“You must think I’m awful cute then.”

“I think it’s the hat…” Twilight left off tickling, and levitated Applejack’s hat off her head, placing it on her own. “What do you think?”

“Ya’ know, that could be.” Applejack grinned. “I never seen nothin’ that cute.”

“That’s because you ain’t not been-- hold on--” Twilight thought hard, then shook her head. “How do you even talk like that?”

Applejack put a hoof to her mouth to hide her snickering. “Takes a bit’a practice, sugarcube. You’ll get the hang of it.”

Twilight nodded and gave the hat a flick with her hoof. “I’ll keep’a tryin’. ...that was better, right?”

“Just like a real cowpony,” Applejack said, shaking her head.

Twilight grinned and walked over to Applejack, whispering in her ear, “I’m gonna get me a lasso, and herd you right on up to bed.” She finished it with a nibble.

“Mmmm!” Applejack blushed, grinning. “That’s enough of that now, missy. We got farmin’ to do.”

“Maybe y'all ‘’ll let me wear it tonight?” Twilight gave a cute pout.

Applejack chuckled. “Only if ya’ stop tryin’ to talk like that.”

“Deal.” Twilight grinned and floated the hat back onto Applejack’s head.

Applejack straightened it with her hoof, and gave Twilight a kiss on the cheek. “Thank ya’ kindly, sugarcube. I wasn’t gonna be able to work with you bein’ that cute.”

“I’m here to help!” Twilight said, nuzzling into Applejack’s neck, then over to one of the trees. “Want to start here?”

Twilight moved her head as the orchard faded away. Her muzzle was buried someplace soft and warm that smelled wonderful… she opened her eyes and realized that it was Applejack’s shoulder, and that Applejack’s head was resting on top of hers.

Twilight smiled, there was nopony she wanted to be close to more than Applejack right now. They had so much to look forward--

Twilight’s heart fell as she reminded herself that they didn’t. It stung a little, but what she’d seen wasn’t the future. It might not even be possible. It was everything she wanted with Applejack, without taking into account real ponies and their lives.

She pulled gently away from Applejack and smoothed her own mane. Blushing, she gave Applejack a small smile. “I know. It’s not real, and it’s probably never going to be real like that…”