• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 548 Views, 25 Comments

Canterlot, Equestria, and Anything - Dusk Strider



Revolves around Cloud and I, and acts as a recount of all our journeys we had and are now on.

  • ...
 25
 548

A Dream of Choices, Ch. 2, Pt. 1

“Dusky, are you awake yet? We’re going to be late for our meeting,” said Cloud as she knocked on her partner’s door.

There was silence for a moment, but then followed a click and clack of hoofsteps making its way towards the door.

When Dusk’s door had opened, it revealed a tired pony that looked like she hadn’t slept for the past few days. Dusk looked towards Cloud with a blank stare, blinking one eye after the other.

“Just give me a moment please, Cloie.” Dusk closed the door, and went to get ready.

“Um, ok. I’ll get your breakfast ready and just wait downstairs,” said Cloud through the door with a worried tone.

She made her way downstairs and into the kitchen to look for food that would help Dusk with their morning. After some thought, she decided to fix up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. When she finished doing so, she grabbed a glass of milk and set it beside the sandwich on the table.

Dusk came down with the same tired expression she had moments ago and joined Cloud at the table. She didn’t acknowledge Cloud’s presence, nor did she lift her eyes from the floor. It was as if somepony had been controlling her movements and kept her from crashing into the wall or missing the chair. She stared at her breakfast for a minute before actually beginning to eat it. She ate slowly with no real interest, remaining emotionless.

In an attempt to break Dusk from whatever spell had taken over her, Cloud cleared her throat loudly until Dusk looked up. Seeing that she had Dusk’s attention, “Are you alright, Dusky?”

Dusk’s eyes opened in shock from not noticing that her wife had been in front of her the whole time she had been in the kitchen. She swallowed her last bite and tried to speak, but the peanut butter had turned her words into heavy wheezing sounds. She lifted her hoof to give herself time to take a drink before trying to speak again. Now with her throat cleared, “I’m so sorry Cloie, I didn’t notice you.”

Knowing that it wasn’t Dusk’s intention to ignore her, Cloud waved off the comment with her hoof. “It’s ok, but what’s wrong?” asked Cloud, wearing the same worried look.

“I’m just tired, that’s all. Waking up during the day is more of your thing.” Dusk said, giving an unconvincing smile.

Seeing through the smile, Cloud pried more, “Dusky, you never had a problem with the hours before. What is it really?”

Knowing that she wouldn’t be let off that easy and ashamed for trying, Dusk confessed, “Just a few bad dreams, nothing serious.”

“It’s just serious enough to keep you from getting any sleep?”

“It’s ok… really. Let’s get to the meeting before Princess Celestia starts to worry.” Dusk stood up from her chair, put the dishes into the sink, and began to clean them.

While Dusk had been cleaning, Cloud stood from her chair and waited by the door. She gave some thought of if they needed to bring anything, but nothing came to mind.

After she had finished the dishes, Dusk joined Cloud by the door. “Thank you for the breakfast, dear.” She lightly kissed Cloud on the cheek before they made their way out and locked the door.

-------------------------------.------------------------------

From the look of the outside and the weather, it had still been early morning. A few ponies were doing their daily rounds about town and few shops remained closed. It was a partly cloudy day and a fresh breeze washed over the area.

Seeing that Dusk was still too tired to fly without having an accident, Cloud shared an idea, “It’s such a nice day, how about we just walk and take the train? I’m sure Princess Celestia won’t mind us being a few minutes late and you can take a nap on the way.”

Dusk smiled at her partner’s compassionate idea. She knew that Cloud didn’t like being late for any meetings, especially ones that were held by Princess Celestia or Princess Luna. Dusk didn’t like being late for those meetings either, but their relationship to one another allowed them some leniency to some rules that Dusk took advantage of when she had to.

Dusk shared the smile with Cloud before speaking, “That sounds like a wonderful idea.”

Cloud returned the smile and they made their way to the train station near the edge of town. They passed by the market where some of the farming and gardening ponies made shop. One particular apple farmer, Applejack, had been setting up her stand while her older brother, Big Macintosh, was delivering the hay bundles.

Dusk made a stop at Applejack’s stand and searched through her purse, hidden behind her scarf. She pulled out a few bits and placed them on the stand. “Here are the bits I owe you, and a few more,” said Dusk, blinking her eyes out of sync from the fatigue.

“Thank ya kindly, Ms. Strider.” Applejack said, placing the bits into the register.

“Just Dusk is fine, and it was my pleasure,” said Dusk, feeling a bit better now that she took one obligation off her mind.

“While you’re here, care for an apple? It’s on the house.” Applejack tossed an apple towards Dusk.

With her body still drained, Dusk’s reflexes weren’t able to react to the flying apple heading straight towards her face. Luckily, Cloud caught the apple with her wing before it was able to leave a bruise on itself and Dusk.

“Sorry, ah thought you would catch it,” said Applejack, giving a look of concern.

“It’s alright; Dusk has just been having some rough sleep.” Cloud gave the apple to Dusk, who downed it in one bite.

Dusk waved her hoof in protest after wiping the remains on her mouth. “It’s my fault, no worries. Thank you for the apple.”

“Well, if you say so. It was mah pleasure, have a great day.” Applejack began to wave goodbye to the pair as they traveled again.

“See you later,” said Cloud and Dusk, looking back to Applejack.

--------------------.--------------

After passing a few more houses, they were now in the town square.

“Wait…something’s wrong here.” Cloud looked about the area, “Why are we in the town square?”

“…Weren’t you the one leading the way?” asked Dusk, sitting down in exhaustion.

“No, I was following you.” Cloud joined Dusk on the floor, “We are so late.”

The pair sat in despair in the middle of the town square, staring towards the town hall. It wasn’t too long though until somepony came to talk to them.

“Why the glum faces, chums?” asked a cheery voice from behind Dusk and Cloud.

They looked to see that it had been the resident party pony.

Cloud was the first to speak, “Oh, Pinkie Pie, hello. We’re just late for a meeting with Princess Celestia. We were supposed to go to the train station, but we must have taken a wrong turn.”

Pinkie walked in front of them and sat facing towards them with a curious look, “You’re pegasususus, couldn’t you just fly?”

“We usually do fly to the castle and every other place we go to, but Dusk hasn’t been able to get any good rest for the past few days. We thought it would be a better idea if we just took the train.” Cloud looked to Dusk, who was struggling to keep her eyes open.

“Oh, well, if you need to find the station, I can help. Let’s get Dusky a little pick-me-up at Sugarcube Corner first though.” Pinkie helped Cloud get Dusk on her legs again.

“Thank you,” said Dusk, now on all four legs.

Dusk and Cloud followed Pinkie as she bounced her way in the direction of her home and workplace, Sugarcube Corner.

-----------------.-------------------

When the group arrived at Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie Pie went to the kitchen to bake up a snack that would help Dusk out of her weariness. Dusk and Cloud looked about the bakery as they waited for her return.

When Dusk went to take a seat at the stairs, Mr. and Mrs. Cake came down in a rush. They went straight towards the door, ignoring the recent customers, but stopped before leaving.

Mrs. Cake shouted towards the kitchen to Pinkie with a hasty tone, “We’re leaving now Pinkie! Please take care of the twins while we’re away! They’re still napping in their crib!”

Pinkie replied with the same volume as Mrs. Cake, “Okie dokie, will do! Have fun!”

Mr. and Mrs. Cake left as quickly as they came and all was silent again.

Cloud went to Dusk, who had been in a daze on the stairs, “We’ll get you a little pick-me-up and you should be all better.”

Dusk nodded her head before resting it back on the railing.

A sudden thud came from the kitchen doors, signaling that the pink baker had finished. Pinkie Pie, covered in different types of ingredients, laid a covered tray on top of the counter next to the register. “Come on over, it’s ready,” she said with her distinct joyful tone.

Cloud helped Dusk up, and they both walked over to the counter.

When they both reached the counter, Pinkie spoke as if announcing a surprise, “Are you two ready?”

They smiled and nodded their head. Dusk tried to put in more effort to make up for her exhaustion.

With that, Pinkie began her presentation, “I present to you the ‘Chocolate Apple Kangaroo Extravaganza Cookie’!” Pinkie lifted the cover with her mouth and let out a muffled “Tada.”

Dusk and Cloud weren’t sure how to react when they had seen what had been uncovered. It had been two diapers-less foals, both belonging to the bakery’s owners.

“Err, Pinkie, I think you have our order mixed up,” said Cloud with a playful grin.

Pinkie Pie looked down and dropped the cover as she gasped when she saw Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake giggling on top of the tray. “Silly me, I must of put the diapers on the cookie. I’ll be right back.” Pinkie put the tray with the foals on her head and went upstairs. After a few minutes, she came back down with a chocolate covered apple and walked over to Dusk and Cloud. “Here it is. It’s really strong, so I only made one.”

Before Dusk took the treat, a few questions crossed her mind, “Why is it called ‘Chocolate Apple Kangaroo Extravaganza’?”

“Well, it’s covered in chocolate, and it has apple. Also-” Pinkie stopped when she saw Dusk raise her hoof to pause her.

Dusk lowered her hoof and gave a smile before speaking, “I meant, why does it have the word ‘kangaroo’ in it?”

“Oh, because it’s so sweet and sugarery that it will add a little hop to your step,” said Pinkie with a wide grin.

Dusk giggled before continuing, “Ok, one more question. Why haven’t we found these around the bakery?”

“That’s because they need to be special ordered. That’s just how strong and special they are.” Pinkie said, holding on to her grin.

“Good enough for me.” Dusk took the cookie and ate it with one bite. When she was done chewing, she licked her lips in satisfaction.

Cloud and Pinkie stared at Dusk with analyzing eyes. They looked her up and down, seeing if the cookie had any effect. Dusk looked between the two, taking some time to wipe the chocolate and crumbs on her teeth with her tongue.

“Do you feel anything yet?” asked Cloud, leaning forward alongside Pinkie Pie.

Dusk looked over herself, but shook her head when there was nothing of note.

“Hmm, weird, that usually has me all over the place when I eat it,” said Pinkie Pie with a hoof rubbing her chin. “Oh well, sorry that it didn’t help. I can still help get you to the train station. Let me just get the foals and we’ll take you there.”

----------------------.-------------------------

The group arrived at the train station, but the train to Canterlot hadn’t arrived yet. Pinkie Pie decided to stay for a little while longer since she had the twins in their stroller and wanted to see if the ‘C.A.K.E. Cookie’ would take effect later than expected.

The group sat on the bench waiting for the train. The foals had been asleep as the older ponies were conversing with one another.

“Pinkie, are you sure you want to stay? What about the bakery?” asked Cloud as Dusk was taking a nap with her head on Cloud’s shoulder.

“The bakery will be fine; it has all the food it needs on the inside after all! I just want to see if the ‘C.A.K.E’ has any effect.” Pinkie looked over to Dusk, who was napping soundly.

“Well, thank you; for both the cookie and guiding us over here. We’ll make sure to pay you back later when we come back.”

“Oh, you don’t have to. I love helping my friends.” Pinkie looked to Dusk again before giving Cloud a concerned look, “What has been keeping her up…or down?”

Cloud returned a look of concern of her own before speaking, “I’m not really sure. She’s been like this for the past few days. She barely told me this morning that it was just bad dreams.”

“Hmm, I remember when I had bad dreams; Grandma Pie would tell me that they were just glimpses of what would happen if you chose to do the wrong thing during an important event.” Pinkie paused for a moment before beginning again, “That, or they would happen if you ate too much cake before you slept.”

Cloud took a moment to think of what Pinkie had said before speaking, “Hmm, I just hope she gets better soon.”

“She will get better, I’m sure of it.” A loud whistle came from behind Pinkie, which interrupted her and rudely awoke the two sleeping foals. They cried loudly before being calmed by Pinkie as she gave them their bottles. When they were quiet again, Pinkie continued, “Better get on board. We’ll see you two when you get back. Oh, and if the cookie does ever take effect, do tell me what happens.”

After waking Dusk and standing up from their chair, Cloud let out a chuckle, “I’ll make sure of it. Thank you again, Pinkie Pie.”

Dusk and Cloud boarded the train and took their seats. Seeing that Pinkie Pie was still on the station deck, they waved farewell to each other until the train had moved away from the view of the station. After a few minutes had passed by, Dusk resumed her nap while Cloud took the time to think over what had been distressing her partner.

---------------------.----------------------

When Dusk opened her eyes, she found herself in a huge and dark room filled with a hazy fog. The walls looked as if they were carved rock, and the ceiling itself had been nowhere to be found. The air was musty, almost as if it was meant to strangle the life out of any pony that walked into it. In whole, the room gave off a disheartening feeling. However, even with all these daunting traits, Dusk braved through the thick fog.

After what felt like hours of walking, Dusk stopped and sat down. She didn’t feel tired as she did that morning, but she knew that walking blindly didn’t help her situation. As she looked down in contemplation, a black figure in front of her had caused her to look up slowly.

The dark figure was as empty as the night sky with no stars or moon to illuminate it. There were no distinct features or clothing. The entirety of the being had just been one tall, obscure, silhouette of a pony.

When Dusk’s eyes landed on where the eyes of the figure should have been, it spoke with a feminine, old and wise tone, “Dusk Lunate Strider, do you know who I am?”

With a shaky and nervous tone, Dusk responded with a simple, “No.”

“I am the one who has been testing you for the past days.”

Dusk’s tone changed from fear to confusion, “But why and what for?”

There was a long pause before the figure spoke again, “I have watched you since you were just a foal. I have seen you grow and do your job with a sense of duty and honor. Your love for Cloud Sol Treader is stronger than the many I have met before you. You, Ms. Strider, have a grand trial ahead of you, a trial that will test whether you value your duty or your love above all else. I wanted to ready you for this trial.”

When the figure stopped speaking, a light shined brightly behind her and the fog quickly dispersed itself. What it revealed had been a familiar sight to Dusk, but with a slight change. There were two platforms at opposite ends of the lights glow. One platform had a shield with Dusk’s cutie mark on a pedestal surrounded by three dark ponies. On the other platform had been a shield bearing Cloud’s cutie mark. It was under the hoof of a single, tall, dark pony.

Dusk walked past the figure to get a better look at the sight. When she noticed something had been missing, Dusk looked back and spoke to the figure again, “In the past nights, they had faces…but I can’t remember them. I don’t even remember if I knew them.”

The figure turned itself around to respond to Dusk, “I have given to you the trial in its most basic form. Whom it involves is just an illusion to what really matters. Your choice will affect those around you, and any other future choices you make.”

Worry overtook Dusk’s body, causing her to speak in a shaky tone again, “Wh-what if I make the wrong choice?”

The figure walked closer to Dusk and placed her hoof upon Dusk’s shoulder. It hadn’t felt cold as Dusk thought it would have been, but it had actually been a comforting warm sensation. Whatever worry Dusk had felt, had quickly washed away, “There is no wrong choice…just the choice you make.”

With those final words, their surroundings crumbled down and a blinding light broke throughout the whole room. When Dusk opened her eyes again, she found herself staring into the eyes of her companion, Cloud Treader.

Cloud had her hoof on Dusk’s shoulder when she spoke, “We’re here; are you feeling any better?”

Dusk looked around to see where she had been. Realizing the past few minutes had just been a dream, she looked back to Cloud with a sincere smile, “Yes, you were right. A nap really did help.”

Cloud returned the smile, “That’s good. Come on; let’s get to the castle before we’re even more late.”

Dusk nodded and they both stood up from their seat. When they were outside of the train, they looked up to the sky to see that it was early into the afternoon. After stretching off the long ride, they trotted off into the direction of the castle.

----------------------------.----------------------

A unicorn stallion led Dusk and Cloud to the entrance of the Royal Dining Area. He motioned them to take a seat next to the entrance before speaking, “Just wait here. Princess Celestia will be finished with her meal shortly.” The servant left soon after.

After taking their seats and seeing that they were alone again, Cloud decided to try to pry information from Dusk, “Dusky, what have you been dreaming of?”

Dusk had been staring down the hall, away from Cloud. She answered with a solemn and tired tone, “Nothing important, just a normal bad dream.”

Slightly hurt by her wife’s lack of willingness to talk, Cloud tried a different tactic. She tapped on Dusk’s shoulder, and when Dusk had turned around, Cloud took her into a great hug.

A wave of relief washed over Dusk, and all her weariness and fear dissolved away. Dusk wasn’t confused for a moment to why Cloud suddenly took her in her arms. Dusk never hid anything from Cloud, never lied or made the attempt of lying. If there was ever a time she did try to lie to Cloud, it was to hide a surprise or gift. It pained her that her fear kept her from sharing what she had seen in her dreams. Now with the fear gone, Dusk couldn’t hold it any longer, she had to tell Cloud what she saw, “I-.”

Dusk was cut off when the door next to them opened. True to the servant’s word, Princess Celestia didn’t take long to finish her lunch. Cloud and Dusk released each other from their hold and stood-up from their seats.

When Celestia noticed the two waiting ponies, she put on a confused face unfit for a princess. “Hello girls, I did not expect you would arrive so early.”

“Early? I thought we were late,” said Cloud with a confused look of her own.

Celestia changed her look to an amused smile before speaking, “Late? No, you are rather early. I asked you both to come in later tonight because I heard that Dusk was having trouble sleeping. I thought it would be better for her to get some rest before our meeting.”

Before Cloud could respond, a loud thud came from next to her. When she and Princess Celestia looked to see what it was, it had been Dusk collapsed on the floor.

--------------------------------.--------------------------------

After placing Dusk in one of the guest rooms, Celestia and Cloud were walking throughout the castle as they talked.

Seeing Cloud’s agitated look, Princess Celestia tried to put her at ease, “Dusk Strider will be alright, Cloud Treader. The servants have told me that she just suffered from a crash brought on by a sudden high amount of sugar.”

“That’s not what’s worrying me, Princess,” said Cloud as she looked to Celestia before turning her sights back in front of her. “I’m more worried of what has been keeping her up for the past few days.”

“What has that been?”

“I’m not exactly sure. This morning, she told me it had just been bad dreams. I think she was about to tell me what it really was before you came in the hallway and saw us.”

Princess Celestia stopped and gave Cloud a look of regret, “I am sorry, I did not mean to-.”

Cloud cut off Princess Celestia before she apologized any further, “Oh, no, it isn’t your fault! I didn’t mean for it to sound that way!” Cloud hung her head low and looked away before speaking again, “It’s just…it’s…I don’t even know.”

Celestia understood the feeling of not being able to help somepony you love all too well. She placed her hoof on Cloud’s shoulder and offered a warm smile, “Let us take this conversation to my study.”

----------------------------------.-----------------------------

Celestia closed the door with her magic as she and Cloud made their way to their seats. Celestia sat behind her desk while Cloud took a seat in front of it.

Celestia’s study was fairly large for her own size. Its walls were decorated with portraits from different places, from both in and out of Equestria. There had been two windows; one with a view of where the sun would rise, and one with a view of Luna’s study. The desk was neatly organized and well polished. Paperwork was stacked in two different piles, handled and not handled. There had also been her personal quill and ink alongside a picture of her most recent student, Twilight Sparkle.

“I can’t believe I’ve never been in this room before,” said Cloud, looking around the room.

Looking around the room herself, Celestia responded, “Yes, I have only ever used this room for official business or to have some time alone. Nopony ever thinks to look for me here. I personally like to do my work in my room by the fireplace.”

Feeling confused, Cloud voiced her thoughts, “Why are we here, Princess?”

“I know you are troubled, Cloud Treader. I have felt the same as you before when my sister became Nightmare Moon.”

Cloud looked down in despair as she spoke, “Is there nothing I can do?”

“Just do what you can for now. That is all you can really do.”

Cloud looked back up to Celestia and nodded in understanding, “I’ll try.”

“That is all anypony would ask.” Celestia looked out the window to see that it had nearly been time to set the sun to make way for the moon. She willed a letter to the top of the desk from one of the drawers before looking back to Cloud, “I think it is time to start our meeting if it is alright with you?”

Cloud thought it over before speaking, “I guess I could fill in Dusk when she feels better.”

“Actually, I think it would be best for her to stay and rest in the castle. The assignment I am about to ask of you will not take long, and you should be back in five days’ time.”

“Princess Celestia, that kinda sounds like a long assignment.”

“Do not worry; the assignment itself should only take one day. The journey though will take two days to get there and two days to come back.”

“What is the assignment?”

Celestia opened the letter with her magic, pulled out a photo, and placed it in front of Cloud.

Cloud looked down at the photo and saw that it had been a picture of an aged unicorn mare. Her coat was a maroon color, and her mane was short and dark red. There had also been a filly beside the mare, almost identical but with a lighter colored mane.

Celestia spoke as Cloud continued to look at the photo, “That is a picture of my old pupil, Heart Tenderer. She was a very talented pony; she was very studious in the magic arts of healing and nursing. She moved to a village outside of Stalliongrad years ago and we have been keeping in touch since. That is until months ago, when I had stopped receiving her letters.”

Cloud looked to Celestia, then back to the photo before speaking, “It looks like she has a daughter. Maybe she has just been busy taking care of her foal.”

“That is what I had thought, but it has been three months since her last letter. I worry that something may have happened, whether it had been her age or an outside source.” Celestia grimaced at the last part of her words. “I do not believe it is anything to be completely concerned about, but I would like you to ease my nerves and please check if she is alright. I would go myself, but work has hindered me from doing so.” Celestia looked toward the tall stack of paperwork marked ‘Not Handled’.

Cloud looked to Celestia and took her turn to comfort the worried Princess. She gave a reassuring smile before speaking, “I understand, Princess. I’ll leave tonight and report whatever I discover.”

Celestia felt reassured that all would be well and returned a smile to Cloud, “Thank you, Cloud Treader. I will make sure Dusk is taken care of while you are away. I am sorry that I cannot see you off at the port, but I must set the sun for Luna to raise the moon.”

Cloud stood from her seat before speaking, “That’s alright, Princess. Thank you for watching over Dusk. I will be back in a few days.”

Celestia stood from her seat and walked Cloud out of her study. After saying their farewells, Celestia closed the doors behind her, made her way to the window, and opened it. She closed her eyes and concentrated deeply on the sun, forcing it to set just over the horizon. When she was finished, she opened her eyes again, looked up, and waited for the moon to take its place in the sky above.

-----------------------------------.---------------------------------

Cloud went to the armory before she went to the Royal Port. She would usually bring her own bearings from her home for any assignments that had to do with travelling, but she didn’t want to make the long trip back. Instead, she retrieved the standard issue journey equipment given to all guard ponies heading outside of Canterlot.

The standard issue equipment was what it was labeled, standard issue. It contained all necessary items for use in the wilderness, desert or other such sceneries. There was the lantern, the first aid kit, a towel, some rations, and rope. Depending on the assignment given, there were a few items that you would be able to requisition. Some items include climbing gear, underwater gear, or bits. When bits are requisitioned, the pony would have to keep a log of what they used the bits for and return any bits left over.

After grabbing her saddlebags filled with gear and signing a few papers for the quartermaster, Cloud made her way to the Royal Port.

-------------------------------.-----------------------------

When Cloud arrived at the Royal Port, it had been bustling with guard and crew ponies alike. Shipments were being moved in and out, and visiting officials from different places had been coming and going. Even at night, the port seemed just as busy as it did during the day. When she finished taking in the sights of the visiting griffin representatives and donkey diplomats, Cloud continued to find the air-ship waiting for her.

After some minutes of walking around aimlessly, Cloud looked for somepony to ask for where her ride was. She tried to talk to the busy crew ponies rushing across the area, but they were too quick and too distracted to notice she had been speaking. When she finally gave up, she took a seat next to one of the guard towers overlooking the landing pads of station one. She hadn’t waited long until a dark colored pegasus came to give her the help she needed.

“Cloie, are you alright?” asked the dark pegasus.

When Cloud looked up to see who was talking to her, she was amazed that somepony had finally come to help her. Even better was that it was somepony she knew. She leapt up and hugged the pony in front of her, “Vesper! It’s been so long! I kind of need your help.”

Vesper returned the hug before letting go and speaking, “Hey, yeah it has hasn’t it? What did you need help with?”

“I’m looking for the air-ship meant to go to Stalliongrad.”

Vesper took a moment to think before she gave her answer, “It should be the one in station one, dock three.”

Cloud knew she wasn’t far from the location given to her. She looked around to see if she could spot her transportation. After giving a quick scan of the area, she finally found the small air-ship finished being prepared and floating in dock.

Cloud looked back to Vesper and showed her appreciation with a great smile before speaking, “Thank you, we’ll try and catch up after I come back, ok?”

“Alright, but I was wondering, where are you going and where is Dusk?”

Taken aback from the question, Cloud was at a loss for words. She quickly regained herself before answering, “Um, I’m going to Stalliongrad on an assignment for Princess Celestia. Dusk was going to come with me, but she collapsed and went unconscious in the castle. They’re watching her there while I do the assignment.”

“Well, ok. That means you’re going alone, doesn’t it? I don’t have much to do here and Calyx is visiting family in Manehattan. I could come with you.” Vesper let out a pleading smile.

Cloud responded with an apologetic look, “I wish I could, but I don’t think you would like the assignment anyways. I’m just visiting one of Princess Celestia’s old students. I think it’s more interesting here, at least you see different races from all over.”

Vesper responded with a bored look, “Well, you haven’t had to deal with them but its ok, I understand.” Vesper took a quick look around before looking back to Cloud, “I have to go, another group of griffin delegates have arrived. Have a safe trip; we’ll get a drink at Berry’s when you come back.”

“That sounds good. See you when I come back!” Cloud waved goodbye to Vesper as she flew off to her transportation.

When Cloud boarded the air-ship, she checked all areas before making her way to the helm. The ship wasn’t as large as the transports other guards used to travel. It was designed to be able to be flown and maintained by one pony. It had the necessary rooms it needed, a storage area for food and a room to sleep in.

After getting the signal from the crew ponies below, Cloud started her ascent to the skies above.

------------------------.----------------------

Cloud arrived in Stalliongrad as the sun was beginning to set. She didn’t stay long after leaving the air-ship in the Stalliongrad Port. She hired a carriage driver to take her to the village Princess Celestia had spoken of before. The ride was quiet and led straight into the deep forest outside of Stalliongrad.

Stalliongrad had been known for its cold climate and misty air, but inside the forest, an unnatural fog took hold of the area. If any pegasus had tried to take flight within it, they would have been surely lost within moments. Unicorn magic was useless as well; nothing pierced the veil.

After an hour of riding through the forest and taking different turns, the carriage stopped just before crossing a bridge.

“I will go no further. It is too dangerous to cross,” said the carriage driver with a heavy Stalliongrad accent.

Cloud looked to the bridge; it had been old and rickety. It didn’t look like it would hold anything heavier than a pony or two. Cloud looked back to the carriage driver, “I understand. Is the village close by?”

“Yes.”

Cloud shifted her eyes side to side in confusion, “Err, How close is it exactly?”

“Not far.”

Cloud stared blankly at the carriage driver, “Well, umm, thank you.”

“No problem.” The carriage driver turned his carriage around and started to trot off.

When the carriage disappeared in the fog, Cloud started her walk across the bridge and towards the village.

The journey had been unnerving to say the least, there had been sounds of twigs breaking and movement rustling through the fallen leaves. Cloud quickened her pace in hopes of finding the village as soon as possible; ending her assignment and being able to return back home. Feeling lost and having the noises around her get louder, she began to panic and galloped forward with her eyes closed. It wasn’t long until she crashed head first into something. When she opened her eyes to see what it was, she had seen that it was the fence bordering the village.

The village was surrounded by silence and there had been no pony in sight. Cloud slowly made her way through the village, taking in all the details and buildings. It wasn’t as large as the village she lived in, nor was it as friendly looking. There were only a few buildings, and fewer that could be called homes. They were all completely made of wood, but it looked as if they hadn’t been tended to for some time. A large campfire sat in the middle of the village, maybe to warm the villagers through the cold weather. When Cloud further examined the campfire, she had noticed that it was recently snuffed of its flame.

Before she could investigate any further, a loud crash had come from the building with a sign that read ‘Inn’. She cautiously made her way into the building, hoping to find somepony to talk to and ask questions.

When the door behind her closed, Cloud hesitantly called out throughout the building, “Is anypony here?”

There had been no answer.

Cloud tried the bell sitting on the front desk that gave a loud ding before breaking from the rust it developed. Again though, there had been no answer or response. Cloud decided to look for herself if there had been anypony else inside the inn with her. She started by making her way to the second floor. Each step she took on the stairs was followed by a loud creaking sound. She was relieved when she finally reached the next floor. She looked down the unlit hall, seeing the doors that led into the bedrooms. One door stuck out, it looked as if it had been forced open with magic.

Before going any further, Cloud tried calling out once more, “Is anypony here? You don’t have to come out, but please do say something.”

Instead of a voice, another loud crash had come from the opened room, followed by hoofsteps. Cloud quickly rushed over towards the open room. Inside had been a totally ransacked bedroom. The bed was torn apart, the desk had been turned over, and the window was completely shattered. Cloud slowly walked over to the broken window and looked out. Whoever had been inside the room was long gone.

A small sound from behind Cloud had caught her attention. She saw a familiar filly standing near the doorframe. Before Cloud could speak, the filly gasped at something behind Cloud. Just as she was about to turn around, a flash of green appeared, followed by darkness.

----------------------------.-------------------------------