• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 5,024 Views, 109 Comments

The Changeling War - PrometheusDark



The King has returned, and with him, a renewed strength in the changeling swarm.

  • ...
5
 109
 5,024

Tears of...

The city of Canterlot was usually bustling with activity, day and night. The air would be thick with the scent of sweets and other goods to be bought in the market district, the flowers abloom in spring and summer. Yes, the mountain side city was all the world a beautiful and lively place. Which is why it was so jarring to see it completely empty.

“Whats going on?” Chrysalis wandered aloud. The doors and windows of buildings were boarded over and the sound of a siren, though distant, could be heard. “Its like this place turned into a ghost town.” She continued. Spike stayed silent, still perched upon her back. His breathing came shallow and his eyes stung with the threat of tears. Chrysalis could taste his sorrow. It was bitter.

“Don't worry, we'll find someway to save them.” She exclaimed in an attempt to ease his worries. She was surprised by her own actions, would she really go so far for her only friend? She decided that, after a moment of thought, she would.


“Another bite's the dust.” The king joked as the earth pony he had been feeding on fell like a sack of rocks to the ground, a husk just like the others. He eyed the pile he had formed, his drones bringing in another pony for him to drain. The pile that consisted of mare, stallion, and foal, all drained of their emotions and left to wither in the corner of his cave.

“Your majesty.” The messenger drone reported. “We're already running low on ponies, I'd advise you to slow your pace until we can acquire more.” He was very brave, that one.

“My former wife has been far to nice to you lot.” The king uttered with malice. The changeling drone obviously didn't know his king's short fuse, or his place in the grand scheme of things as a simple drone. “I think its about time I whipped you all into shape.”

“I'm sorry?” The drone tilted his head, confused by his majesty's change of demeanor.

“Oh, you will be.” The king cackled, grabbing the little drone by his neck with his magic and forcing him off his feet into the air. Slowly, ever so slowly, he constricted the drone's windpipe until he couldn't inhale at all, then held him there until his face turned blue under his chitinous armor. The other drone's stared on in horror.


The palace guards weren't on duty. This was getting increasingly strange, and even a bit frightening. The unlikely duo walked through the front gates, walked through the courtyard, and up to the main doors of the castle.

“I hope someone's actually in there.” Spike spoke, his voice heavy with despair. It was unbearable for Chrysalis to see him like this, so wounded. She vowed to find out who organized the swarm and make him eat his own hooves.

The moment they cracked the door open, they were hit by a torrent of voices, each scared and on the verge of panic. Inside was possibly every resident of Canterlot, packed in like sardines. At the back of the large hall was a dark blue alicorn, attempting to calm the masses, and failing to do so. Chrysalis, with Spike still astride her back, walked inside. This did not go over well with the crowd.

“Oh no, they're in the castle!” One mare screeched and promptly fainted on the spot. A stallion caught her and looked at the pair with anger and fear in his eyes. Chrysalis could feel the hate in the room growing fast, and if it would have continued, there might have been a full-blown riot.

“That's enough, my little ponies, be at ease.” Of course Celestia would show up just at the right time to quell the rage. The blue alicorn sighed and approached Celestia, as did Chrysalis and Spike.

“They simply do not listen to me, sister.” The other alicorn spoke first. Wait, that was Luna? Chrysalis thought she was still on the moon, but stowed the thought away for later, when there was actually time to think about such things.

“Do not worry, dear sister. Their fear is strong, so we must be stronger.” The elder alicorn comforted with a small smile before turning to the duo. “I see you made it out of Ponyville. What of the Elements of Harmony?” Spike couldn't meet her gaze, he felt so ashamed of himself for not being able to help them, even though it wasn't really his fault. “I see. I was afraid of this.” Celestia spoke more to herself then to the others.

“What can we do?” Chrysalis' resolve was strong. “Isn't there anything?”

“You can fight.” Celestia spoke, she never sounded more serious to Spike. “The Elements of Harmony need help, as does all of Equestria., for the Changeling King has returned.” Chrysalis' eyes widened to the size of saucers, she felt sick to her stomach. The king? That was impossible, how could he be back, after all this time? But, Celestia had no reason to lie, and that would explain why the swarm was so organized after such a short time.

“How can we fight?” Spike replied bitterly. “I'm just a kid.”

“That is where you're wrong, Spike.” Celestia's horn began to glow. “You may be a child to most of these ponies, but you house inside of you a great power that has yet to be unlocked.” She said knowingly. Spike just scratched the back of his head, confusion setting in.

“Right, and I'm also a prince, I bet.” His sarcastic wit was still intact, at least. “Power, shmower, if I was actually strong then why didn't you tell me this before, when one of the other bad guys was attacking? Discord and Nightmare Moon?” He thought he had a right to be at least a little angry, what with the recent happenings. Celestia couldn't blame him for reacting with cool rage instead of calm, levelheadedness.

“The reason I haven't just given you the power,” she started. “Is because it is dangerous, and it requires a special bond.” She grinned. “A bond you lacked, before now.” Bond? What, with Chrysalis? He had so many questions, but as he would soon find out, he didn't have time for answers.


“I suppose that's enough.” The king laughed, letting the drone fall to the ground, limp and lifeless, the other drones looking upon their leader with horror. “Let this be a lesson.” His voice was powerful, reverberating off the walls of the cave. “If any one of you get in my way, I will tear you to pieces! Now bring me another!”

The drones rushed to comply out of fear. What they brought back with them was a shy pony with yellow fur and pink mane. Fluttershy.

“Your fear is,” He inhaled deeply, pausing a moment to savor it. “Delectable.”


“I can unlock only a small part of your potential, Spike. The rest is up to you.” She kept the worry out of her voice. Spike nodded, his will strengthened, he was ready for whatever would happen. Celestia bowed her head, the tip of her horn aglow. She touched her horn to Spike's forehead then pulled away only seconds later.

“That's it?” Spike questioned, disappointment evident in his voice. “I don't feel any different.” He snarled, to the surprise of everyone besides Celestia.

“The changes will happen gradually. But I must warn the both of you, you will come to obstacles in you fight against the king, both inside and out.” She spoke carefully. The look she was giving Spike gave him the creeps, like she was speaking to him specifically. “Now go, you must make haste to the Everfree Forest.” She didn't need to tell them twice. The crowd parted to allow them through, some still looked angrily at Chrysalis, but they did not speak out against her. They departed without a word to any of them.

“Sister, are you sure it is wise to send them alone?” Luna interrogated. “They're practically defenseless against the changelings.

“Make no mistake, Luna. They will have trouble, but the bond they share will overpower all obstacles in their way.” She looked to her little sister, her mind made up. “I'm afraid this is war.”