• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 1,771 Views, 48 Comments

Tactical Shorts By Request - TacticalRainboom



A collection of shorts based on your prompts and suggestions. Drop your idea off in the comments and hope I'm feeling good today!

  • ...
9
 48
 1,771

>>98888: In Celestia's Office

Whirring Gears Tue, Apr 24, 2012 2:49 PM No. 98888

Not really a DISJOINTED scene, but...

A small exchange between Princess Celestia and one of her royal guards after she sent Twilight and her friends out to face Discord.

===========================================================

Captain Cornerstone burst through the office's enormous doors and immediately bowed his head as he came to a skidding halt. "I stand ready, Princess," he announced, trying to keep his voice level despite his ragged breath.

"At ease, Captain," Celestia replied, her tone as unreadably sweet as always. "Thank you for your haste."

The Captain raised his head and gave a quick salute. "Units nine through twelve have been alerted. They will mobilize immediately at your command."

"That will not be necessary." The Princess even offered a small smile as she circled around her desk to address Cornerstone directly. "I've just finished a private meeting with a few advisors, and I'm pleased to say that Discord has confined his activities, for now, to a single small area."

"I am aware, Princess. Ponyville." The Captain's voice did not waver as he said the name of his childhood home... the birthplace of his father, the place where he learned how to coax pears down from a stubborn tree, decades before he learned to buck, bite, and charge.

"Yes, Ponyville. Fortunately for all of ponykind, Ponyville is small and isolated." Celestia's smile faded, but she never once let her voice darken. "I would like you, Captain, to deliver a message personally to the Sixth. Tell them to keep their lances ready at all times, lest night fall upon Canterlot next."

Cornerstone's eyes widened at the word 'lance.' He needed to hear nothing else to understand the terrible meaning of Celestia's simple words. He suppressed his gasp of horror, but could not keep the shaking from his knees or his voice.

He said, "At once, Princess," but he did not move for several seconds. When he finally turned to gallop out the door again, he was stopped.

"Permission to speak freely, Captain."

Cornerstone slowly turned around where he stood. Princess Celestia stood before him in all her regal beauty-- outstretched wings framing her perfect head and neck in traditional posture, muzzle held high. "My Princess is of course aware that I was raised in Ponyville," Cornerstone said, too quietly. "I hope... I hope night does not fall there."

"It will not," Celestia said, approaching him. He instinctually bowed again, but she placed a hoof to his chin and raised it to look her in the eyes. "The Elements will defeat Discord. Ponyville will live on in prosperity. You have my word."

"Then... why am I being told to prepare the Skylancer?" Again Cornerstone could not conceal his emotions.

"Because Discord's power threatens not only Ponyville but all of Equestria. This situation is the very reason why we trained the Sixth in the Skylancer's use." Celestia lowered her hoof to the floor. Cornerstone didn't look away from her.

"You mean to say I should order them to... to perform it, should the Elements fail?"

"They will not fail." For the first time, the Princess' words sounded dire. "Now hurry. We cannot know how much time we have before true disaster may strike."