• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 5,813 Views, 108 Comments

Trading Places - ty500600



Twilight makes the funny happen with Rarity and Applejack.

  • ...
6
 108
 5,813

Day 1 - 11:52 AM

Day 1 - 11:52 AM

Rarity sat on the couch watching Applejack sort the library under the instruction of Twilight. Books were whizzing past her face, one nearly hitting her as it flew by. She wrinkled her nose in discomfort. Out of instinct, she dug for her magic to summon a box of tissues, but the lack of horn reduced her efforts into gas. As her cheeks turned bright red, she glanced over at her two friends, hoping they didn’t hear. Thankfully, they were too preoccupied

“Lesson three... wah!” Twilight ducked under a low-sailing book. “Ahem... Lesson three: Control. You may be a unicorn now, but you still have the mind of an Earth pony. Not to sound rude, but everything you’ve ever done has been with crude strength. While a unicorns magic requires strength, it’s a different type of strength. The strength of understanding and finesse. The strength of... humph!” A book rocketed into Twilight’s chest, knocking the wind out of her. “Uhhh... not the strength of strength...” She let out a sigh, falling into a pile of books behind her.

Applejack didn’t even notice what she had done. She was too focused on the swarm of rampaging books that occupied the space above her head. Her tongue hung out a small ways, her eyes were furrowed as well. It was only after she heard the groaning of Twilight from amongst a pile of books did she look away. After she looked away though, she lost control. Pages of literature went soaring in all directions. Some into the loft above, some out the windows, and one right into the face of a snoring Spike. The blast knocked Spike out of his bed, sending him head over heels into the bedside table. He sat there for a minute, dazed and confused. He shook his head and grabbed the book that was now impaled onto one of his spikes. The title read “How to Make Yourself a More Productive Pony.” His confused face turned into a scowl. He jumped up and padded towards the edge of the of bacony, still scowling. “Twilight, is this your idea of comedy?” He raised the book above his head and waved it around, signalling for attention. When he peered over the edge, however, he dropped the book and his glare turned into a soft gaze. “Oh... hey there Rarity, whatcha up to?”

The presence of Spike made the room dead silent. Applejack shot a look over at Rarity who was sitting on the couch, a large smile stricken across her face. “Well go on, sugarcube. Tell him what yur doin’,” Rarity said in an almost frighteningly well practiced southern accent.

“Um...errr...Nothing,” Applejack whispered... before realizing she had been inadvertently hoofed an opportunity. She grinned, and flashed her best bedroom-eyes at Spike, before replying, in her best impersonation of Rarity’s accent - her practiced and trained Manehattenite accent, “...nothing at all, dahling. Why don’t you come have a seat cuddled up right beside me...”

Rarity’s eyes rhythmically twitched. She wouldn’t. She couldn’t! As Spike excitedly curled up beside Applejack, obviously unaware of the switch, Applejack ran her hoof down his back, teasingly, and actually nuzzled him. Rarity was no fool, of course; in all truth, she was fully aware of Spike’s affection for her. Sweet Celestia, how far would Applejack play that trump card? She felt jealousy mounting inside of her heart. “Hey, Spike? How would ya like it Ah’ went with a walk around town with ya?” She said.

Spike’s head lifted off of his arm, eying Rarity. “Uh. Thanks but no thanks Applejack,” He paused and looked at Applejack. “I’m good right where I am.” He then nuzzled his head into Applejack’s belly somewhat, only to be pulled in tightly by her.

“Oh, uh... Okay then.” Rarity flicked her head in the opposite direction, offended.

Twilight, who had remained oddly quiet through the ordeal, decided now was the time to intervene. Hey, Rarity, I think we should go to the boutique so we can make a new dress, don’t you think?”

Applejack looked away from Spike towards Twilight. “Yeah, I suppose yur... I mean you’re right. Let us go darling.” Her mouth seem to curl funny at the word.

Spike shot up out of his comfortable position. “But, wait, can’t Rarity stay a while longer?” His eyes pleaded with Twilight and Applejack.

“Sorry Spike, we’ve got serious work to do.” She said excitedly.

“Oh yeah? Like what,” He said angrily, his arms fell across his chest.

“Applejack needs to learn how to make dresses!” Twilight blurted. Instantly her blunder reached her mind. Both Rarity and Applejack shot her a look of surprise.

Spike’s expression changed from angry to confused in a heartbeat, his arms fell to his sides. “Wait, what? Why would Applejack need to learn how to make dresses?”

“Well, ya see sugar—” Her hoofs shot up to her mouth, her face in shock.

“Huh?” Spike looked at Applejack.

Rarity quickly jumped in. “Ya see, sugarcube, Granny tore her old gown and I need to learn how to fix it, right Rarity?” Applejack could only nod, her mouth still blocked by her hooves.

“Well, couldn’t you just have Rarity do it? I mean, she does make her living off of it.” He said flatly.

Finally, Applejack opened her mouth again. “Well, Spike, I could do it for her, but what happens if it rips again? Teaching her how to do it saves us both time.”

Spike looked at her for a moment, his eyes in thought. He then shrugged and walked away. “Makes sense I guess. Have fun AJ, I know I wouldn’t.” He stuck his finger in his mouth as he walked away.

After he left the room, Twilight used her magic to shut the door behind him. “Still think this is going to be easy?” She asked smugly.

Her friends glared at her.