• Published 2nd Nov 2014
  • 1,009 Views, 28 Comments

Explorers from Giraffia - Elchar



When you are sent to find the land known only from old legends and you've actually really found it... what is going to happen?

  • ...
3
 28
 1,009

Act 1 Chapter 3: Sun, moon and books

“My name is Sea Sail, “ Sea Sail started her speech, “and I am thought to be the best sailor of Giraffia. Personally, I don’t really think so, but everygiraffe keep saying it. The king of Giraffia, Neckolas III, has called me one day – he told me that he was searching in old books for several months and that he has found many clues of the existence of a mysterious land called Equestria. He was convinced that this mysterious land really exists and told me to try to find it and establish the contact. He thought we might learn a lot from ponies, and other way around. He also told me that legends say Equestria is located behind the Big Ocean. After a few weeks, I had my crew assembled. I won’t tell you about everything we found on our way here because none of it was really that interesting. There were some krakens and many storms, but in the end we managed to make our way here and are very actually very excited about it.”

All ponies were listening. Surprisingly, even Pinkie Pie kept quiet.

“When we’ve found this place, me, my assistant Acacia Sprout, one magician Vermishine and two sailors – Bluewave and Amber Spot, have decided to explore this land a bit. Next day, we met Daisy here and really that is about it.” The speech ended and ponies started to stomp their hooves on the ground and cheering loudly.

When they stopped, Princess Twilight Sparkle came and said, “Thank you for your speech, giraffes. I hope you’ll enjoy your stay here and report back just the best about our land to your king when you return home. Now, Spike–“

Lizard on her back jumped down, “Yes, Twilight?”

“– We will have to inform Princess Celestia and Princess Luna about our situation. Please, take a letter – “

The lizard pulled out an ink, parchment and quill from somewhere and started to write down her words. She has pretty much explained everything in the letter and then told the lizard to send it – but he didn’t. Instead he, to the astonishment of everygirrafe, burped a flame and burned the letter down. But the princess didn’t seem angry; instead she smiled at the guy.

Not too long after, the lizard suddenly burped a flame again and another letter came out of the flames. Once again, while all the giraffe guests were staring at it in an absolute confusion, Princess Twilight seemed to be quite happy about it.

She unrolled the letter and quickly read it for herself. She then nodded and said, “Princess Celestia says it would be best if she and Princess Luna came to Ponyville and to talk with the explorers rather than trying to get them to Canterlot. They will be arriving here shortly.”

•••

It really didn’t take too long. Only about one half an hour later, a big golden chariot pulled by a winged ponies landed near all of them. All ponies immediately fell to their knees and hold their head very low above the ground. All but Princess Twilight. She instantly ran to the chariot instead and started to talk to with ponies in it.

And, when they stepped out, the giraffes were shocked. They didn’t look anything like the other ponies. They were bigger, not nearly as big as them, but definitely bigger than Vermishine. One of them was white and other very dark purple. The purple one was a bit smaller. They both had the strangest manes any giraffe have ever seen. It looked like they were moving on their own.

“Welcome to Equestria,” said white princess. “It’s a very long since anyone from your country came to visit us. Last time was when I and Luna were still pretty young. My name is Celestia and my sister and I are the rulers of this land.”

It took a while for giraffes to be able to speak again. There was just something… majestic about those two mares. Even Bluewave seemed to be very impressed.

After a while of silence, Sea Sail just couldn’t help but ask, “Um… we’ve heard you two actually rule over sun and moon, too.”

“Yes, you are correct,” Answered Celestia.

“Alright then, so, sorry if this will sound rude, but… what in the name of Giraffepolis were you doing past year and half? First, not long after we set on the sail, the sun rose much later than usual. Then, just several months later, both moon and sun were just crazy one day, rising and setting like every five minutes! After that, half a year later, sun and moon were on the sky at the same time! And also that strange moon setting and sun rising a month ago. If you really control moon and sun, why are you doing such crazy things with them? Are you bored or what? Have you got any idea how scary such events are?”

It took a while for Celestia to answer, “Well, we’re not bored, but… let’s just say we had some problems in here. However, we have managed to get through all of it.. Well, not so much me, but mainly six most trustworthy ponies around here… and Elements of harmony… but, if you are interested, we may get to that later. Now… the question is… what would you like to do in our land? You may, of course, travel all around Equestria as much as you want, if that’s what you wish. We’ll inform all ponies about you so they wouldn’t be shocked. If you are interested in information about Equestria, history and ponies, Princess Twilight has quite a spacious library in her castle. I am sure she would be happy to provide you with the knowledge within.”

Sea Sail started to think, “Well, we didn’t really think about that too much so far. I mean, we couldn’t be even sure if we would really find Equestria until today. We’ll have to talk about it and decide. Also, we’ll have to contact our ship, then we need to sleep somewhere and I am afraid all of us but Vermishine are too big to fit in your houses. And actually, our king said it would be great if we could find a way to establish a trade route between our lands, but we encountered so much dangerous things on our way here… I am afraid it will be impossible….”

“We’ll see. Twilight, would you mind if me and Luna stayed in your castle for several nights until our guests decide what they would like to do? I’ll inform the royal guard that we’re staying here for now.”

“You’re staying in my castle?” Yelled Twilight. “But it’s not ready! Spike, come, we have to clean it up right now!”
She tossed Spike back on her back and dashed back towards the town.

•••

After that, ponies slowly started to walk back into the town, too.

“It’s almost night-time,” Said Princess Luna. “We’ll find you a place to sleep and then me and my sister will have to do our royal duty of ending day and bring forth the night.”
Suddenly, an orange pony with a cowboy hat walked up to them. “Um, sorry to interrupt, but if y’all giraffes don’t know where to sleep, you can sleep in our barn. You should be able to slip through the doors, I recon' they are kinda big. It should be fine.”

“Great idea, Applejack. If you don’t mind, you shall sleep at Applejack’s, then.” Answered Luna.

“Sounds good,” Suddenly said Vermishine. “But can we first go to Princess Twilight’s castle? I would really like to borrow some books about magic and read a bit before we go to sleep.”

Princess Twilight seemed very nervous about the visit of the two other princesses in her home, but she was happy to bring Vermishine some books about magic outside. All princesses stayed there and everygiraffe followed Applejack to her home. It turned out Applejack was living at some kind of orchard outside of the city. Applejack wanted them to meet her family members, but all the giraffes were actually pretty tired. A lot has happened in two last days.

While all giraffes stood in the barn, their heads almost touching the roof and fell to asleep, Vermishine lighted up his ossicones and started to read the books. It turned out pony magic was very interesting. It was similar to okapi’s, but there were also many differences. Around a midnight, Vermishine decided he would like to test some. He went out of a barn and looked around, determined to learn this new kind of magic, so he would become a better magician, like he always wanted to be.

He didn’t know it yet, but it was a very bad idea.

Author's Note:

Alright, alright. I am very sorry it took me so long... let's just say I had some problems writing this chapter... but I finally did it so here you go. This is pretty much the end of the first - I'd say "arc"? - of this story. The real adventurous part starts next time. That's why I ended it with a little cliffhanger, I am sorry. :D I hope you liked it. :) The next chapter should be up at Monday or so.

Now, I just have to give big thanks to my friend Aldar. He proofreads every chapter and helps me with some of my stupidest formulations. This chapter, he also helped me a lot with Celestia's and Luna's speaking parts. So, really, thanks.