• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 682 Views, 22 Comments

Love Sick - Mr. Self Destruct



The story of DJ Soul, A Stallion who mastered the art of music and influenced one particular pony

  • ...
1
 22
 682

Chapter 4

Vinyl Scratch sat there for hours, until the sun was beginning to make its descent. She finally returned home, a dismal look upon her face. As she walked home, she took the time to contemplate just what exactly happened but she could only come to the conclusion that it was just all in her head. She forced herself to try to accept that it wasn't real and that she needed to get over it. However, that was a piece of hope that she didn't have. Hearing his voice again, it was creating an internal conflict between real and fake. She just wanted to know if he really was trying to get through to her, if he really wanted her to get on her hooves and get back to doing what they loved.

For the first time since Soul’s passing, Vinyl Scratch decided to visit the studio. Despite it being attached to the house, she spent a lot of time pent up in her room for months. She didn't really go out much to see anyone or go anywhere that she didn't have to. She was really just attempting the bare minimum to get by without Soul because she didn't realize, until he was gone, how much she truly loved him. As she walked down the hall to the door that opened up to the studio, she stood their with her hoof placed flat upon the door. She paused, thinking about what will happen when she goes back into this room again. It was almost like she expected Soul to be sitting on the other side of the door, in his chair, drinking his tea while listening to music with that same mellow smile of his. As she pushed the door open, her eyes closed and she let herself finally enter the room. It wasn't until the door shut behind her that she opened her eyes, tears at the corners of each of them. She walked around the room slowly, touching everything as it was. This room and everything that happened here would always be her closest connection to him. The touch of the dials on the soundboards, the tops on the turntables, the keys on the keyboard kept fulfilling the feeling his presence within the studio as they created wonderful music together. The tears would slowly make their way down her face, though she was able to keep a smile on her face. That presence she felt was enough to remind her that regardless of what she decided to make of what she heard as she sat by his headstone, she knew that he was there and he was watching over her. The proof was that every time she was with Soul, she would always smile. With eyes still welled up, she sat in Soul’s seat and ran her hooves across the counter before looking up at the monitor and starting to look through the music files he left behind.

She noticed that there was one unfinished file, an unfinished song. It was just a beat and a couple rhythm sections but it needed work. It was labeled ‘part five’ and sat within the folder as she expected it to be. ‘Love Sick’. It was already mixed at the beginning to fit the part before it, so it would be the best starting point. She decided right then and there that she would use this as a way to get back on all hooves. She not only wanted to finish this, but she wanted to have a farewell concert for him and it wouldn't just be great music but it would also be as visually beautiful as she could possibly make it. It wouldn't be hard electronic music or heavy bass but the soft, melodic beats everyone would only expect of Soul. It would be the first time anyone had ever heard all five parts, finished and mixed all together, at one concert.

Vinyl Scratch would sit there and slowly get back in the routine of working diligently, as she would as if Soul was there by her side. However, there are certain things that would remind her of Soul, things that would bring a tear to her eyes. All she could do was brush it from her eye, try to smile, and keep on working. Vinyl Scratch would go home after finishing work on the song so that she could sleep and come back the next day but it wasn't long until she found herself sleeping in the same bed when she stayed at Soul’s home when they used to work together. The first night, she did cry a bit. She’d lie there, watching the door as if Soul would walk in and say, “I’m back home.” Though, the memory would not haunt her and her work would continue. Eventually, she could move on, happy about the times she spent though it would always bring a bittersweet feeling from time to time. She would play the song back and listen for all the subtle variations of beats and sounds. Her body would sway in her chair as she moved with the music, letting the beauty of it all overtake her every time. She kept the beat strong yet simplistic with a rhythmic and slightly melancholic piano. This was exactly what she wanted to present to not just everyone, but to present to Soul if he really was watching.

As time would progress, time would heal her wound. Vinyl Scratch found that with the time she spent in the studio doing what she loved, she found it easier to get by. She would go about doing things as she would normally. Going out to eat, hanging around town, even looking around for local music shows. The place Soul and her used to frequent was still her place of choice. The people who worked there also recognized her as if not a day had gone by, although it had been months since she had been there. Everyone welcomed her return to the diner as a regular. Even people who were eating there recognized her, only this time as a DJ. In fact, as she went around town, people would still recognize her. Some people were quite surprised, as it had been so long since they had seen Vinyl Scratch around the area. Little moments like this made her realize that her reintegration with society was not only possible, but was coming to fruition.

She used her time wisely, planning the concert so that it would be perfect. After all, it was sort of like a going away present. She felt as though she owed him this and she wouldn't accept anything less than perfection. It all started with the long, tireless nights of creating the rest of part five to ultimately complete the masterpiece of Love Sick. She would constantly examine and modify every nuance of the song. She was taught to be very meticulous as music wasn't a hobby, it was a passion. When it was something as personal as this, it was absolutely necessary that it was impeccable. Upon completion, she immediately booked the show at the only place she would allow this concert to happen. The Canterlot Music Hall where she first met Soul. They were eager to have her play the show there and had no qualms about her decision. She even went around town handing out flyers and telling everyone about the show to come, the farewell show for DJ Soul.

In the time leading up to the impending concert for Soul, Vinyl found herself fulfilling her dream and the wishes of Soul that she remembers hearing so vividly on the fateful day. She booked small concerts in venues all over Canterlot and began to tour as a solo artist. The big show was way off, so not only would she use this time to showcase her talents as a musician, she would use this time to heal. This would be her proper grieving process, as locking herself in her home and spending sleepless nights with a racing mind was counterproductive. Finally, she would stand strong since his passing.

Vinyl Scratch brought fans from everywhere, those who remember her first jump on the scene and those who are hearing her name for the first time. She wanted to get as many shows in as she could leading up to the day, tearing up the stage with a smile on her face and her hoof in the air. Each show was special, each moment she shared with both fans and Soul would be memorable. She would even imagine Soul standing there, right in the front row during some of her shows. It gave her extra motivation to give it her all and more for everyone, including him. It didn't take long before she began to receive invites or requests to play at places like parks, halls, and even restaurants from fans all across Equestria. She accepted as many shows as she could fit in her schedule. It was a bit tiring but she didn't care, she loved it. She loved seeing all the fans, hearing them chant her name. There was a time where she even found herself brought to tears of happiness when near the closing of her set, the crowd chanted Soul’s name. After each of these shows, she made it a point to stop and speak to fans. She would sometimes hang out with them after shows, do signings, even go to an after party with them. She didn't want fans to think she was this overly famous pony with no connection to her fans. She wanted her fans to be her friends.

The last show before the DJ Soul tribute concert was a large, outdoor concert that flooded the venue. Vinyl Scratch couldn't speak over the crowd as they roared at the end of her show. She stood center stage and waved her hoof, mouthing “Thank you.” to everyone. She normally would walk back stage but she appreciated the amplitude of this concert that would be the predecessor of the greatest show of her life and decided to jump down from the front of the stage and into the crowd. The fans surrounded her and continued to cheer as she would hoof bump and hug them, walking straight through the crowd.