• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 573 Views, 8 Comments

Eight legs of fun! - Voltsthevoltvolts



Vanessa Venon or 'The Black Widow' is a spider enthusiast who lived in Manehatten however the city life did not suit her eight legged friends so she made the choice to move to Ponyville.

  • ...
0
 8
 573

Act II, Part 2. Mixed signals

"...And that's the last spider! Phew that was a long chain of parties. I need to go start setting up for the after-parties!" Pinkie exclaimed as she left Vanessa's house, just as she left Vanessa and Maddie arrived from their walk around town. "Oh hey you two! Nice to see a new couple in Ponyville!" Pinkie happily exclaimed as she ran off to Sugarcube corner.

"Couple..? Did she think we were dating?" Vanessa puzzled. "Maddie..."

"Honestly, I don't know where she got that from. And even if it was true, we would be moving quite fast..." Maddie sighed. "I will straighten things out with her when I next see her." Maddie walked over to the house and opened the door. "I wonder how she got in..." Maddie shook her head and sighed a second time.

"Yes... I hope the spiders haven't gotten out. Would not like a banana spider wondering around Ponyville." Vanessa quickly ran into the house and Maddie followed her. "Its nice that you were at hoof to help me set up. Come in an take a seat Maddie. I will whip some tea up for us."

Maddie entered the rather spacious front room. A second doorway lead to the kitchen where Vanessa was making tea. Along the front of the room a large bay window with huge curtains allowed large amounts of light in the room, while allowing the ponies living the house privacy if they needed it. Along the back wall several shelves were lined with glass tanks with various magical devices attached that altered the temperature and humidity of the tank. In each tank various logs and foliage concealed the spiders that lived inside the tanks. "That's quite a collection of spiders Vanessa, how did you get so many?"

"Chalk it up to pot luck. I can get some of the nicer ones out if you want. By the way, do you have any milk and/or sugars in your tea?" Vanessa called out from the kitchen as the sound of a boiling kettle filled the rooms with its loud screeching.

"I will have two sugars and a teeny tiny bit of milk, if that's alright." Maddie called out to Vanessa. The hissing kettle quietened and the sound of water being poured could be heard from the kitchen. A pleasant smell of tea wafted into the main room. "That smells lovely Vanessa." The sound of cup clanging came from the doorway and Vanessa gingerly walked in balancing a tray with two cups of tea on her back. "Woah Vanessa be careful, let give you a hoof." Maddie picked the two cups with her magic and placed them on a small coffee table. "Lets sit down." Maddie sat down on he sofa by the coffee table and Vanessa took the seat next to her.

"So Maddie, can I ask you a hypothetical question?" Vanessa asked cautiously. "Feel free to back away at any point if you don't want me to go on."

"Hmm, you have my attention." Maddie said flatly, feigning a lack of interest.

"So lets say hypothetically, what Pinkie said was true. You know, us dating. What would your thoughts be on it?" Vanessa slowly said, examining Maddie's face for a change in expression. Oddly enough, Maddie kept a blank expression. Vanessa chuckled nervously. "Of course we are speaking hypothetically, a completely hypothetical scenario." Vanessa chuckled a second time.

"Well..." Maddie said blankly and Vanessa's facial expression dropped. "Assuming that we are speaking hypothetically, I would be..." Maddie paused for an agonizingly long time, she watched Vanessa's facial expression change rapidly and often. However she did not resume speaking until Vanessa had slammed her head onto the sofa so that she couldn't see. Maddie silently lowered her head until it was next to Vanessa's ear, she dropped her voice to a whisper. "I love you Vanessa."

"W-What!?" Vanessa quickly responded, she threw her head up and jumped off the sofa. "I was being hypothetical! Where did that even come from!? I don't even..."

"What do you mean 'where did it come from' you were giving me some pretty clear signals! I thought that you would have upset if I lied and said I felt nothing!" Maddie hastily replied. "I mean come on, your facial expression refused to no be worried!"

"That's because I was worried you would think less of me for giving you that idea! I didn't realize that you would come out the closet on me!" Vanessa huffed in an annoyed, but not angry tone.

"Hey if you went out when you were back in Manehatten, you would have heard that I was a fillyfooler with the hots for you!" Maddie quickly covered her mouth before she dug herself a grave.

"Y-you have always felt this way!? Was this whole friendship, feeling sorry for me and helping me just some elaborate plan to woo me?" Vanessa turned away from Maddie. "Why..? Why..."

"Because.. You're you. You're not some strange pony that is obsessed with spiders, your not some heartless fiend who cannibalizes ponies and you're not some odd ball. You are a perfectly brilliant pony Vanessa, you don't just have outer beauty you have inner beauty, heck you have all the beauty. And I just wanted to be the lucky mare who got stuck with you for the rest of her life." Maddie spoke with passion and fire in her voice. "This was a plan to woo you, but only because I need you that much! I spent months trying to get close to you back in Manehatten but you always drifted away. When I heard you were moving I decided I had to do something a bit more forward." Maddie sighed. "I knew it was a long shot, I didn't even know your preference, I didn't know anything about you until I got on that train with you..." Maddie got up and placed her hoof on Vanessa's shoulder. "And when I did get to know you, I knew that somepony had meant for us to be together..."

Maddie pulled her hoof away. "But it would seem fate has a cruel sense of humor, this whole time I thought you were giving me little signals and subtle gestures... I'm sorry for putting you through this..." Maddie wiped a tear that was forming in her eyes. She was upset but not because she got rejected, but because she had hurt her friend. "I will return to Manehatten and you never hear from me again unless you request it..." Maddie sighed and headed towards the door, only to be stopped by a hoof on her back. Maddie did not turn around.

"Maddie. I don't want to lose you, you are the only pony outside my family to talk to me during my adult life. You are the only one who has ever cared for me, supported me, helped me and finally made me feel loved. But that doesn't mean that what you did didn't hurt me. I know what love is and should have just came out and told me, you didn't have to scheme or plot anything." Maddie turn around and saw Vanessa. She had her red eyes firmly locked on Maddie's eyes. "And you said it yourself, you don't know my preferences. And being honest neither do I. It is not something I have given much thought towards."

"Are you saying that you are willing to give it a shot?" Maddie said with renewed hope. "Because I promise, no more schemes!"

"Yes, it does mean that I am willing to give us a shot. We should start by taking it slowly though. I don't really know how mare and mare relationships work."

"Don't worry, I have had a few experiences in my life. I will be at your side the whole time."

Author's Note:

And then romance happened in the form of Vanessa X Maddie, and rather dramatically I might add. Well dramatic for me anyway.

On another note I have awake for over 30 hours so this chapter may have a 'few' mistakes that I didn't notice on the self proof-read.