• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 7,774 Views, 195 Comments

Hive Mind - canonkiller



Why do my hands look like cheese all of a sudden?

  • ...
14
 195
 7,774

Bridge Chapter: The Biology of a Changeling (Equestria Edition)

"I got you this." 1416 chucked something towards me.

I caught it with my magic millimeters before it hit my face, frowning at his smirk. "What is it?"

"It's a book, duh."

"But what's it about?"

"Changelings." He replied simply.

"Is it in English?"

"No. You'll be able to understand Equestrian enough. Now study up, I'm not patient enough to teach you."

I flip the book around, scanning the back and front. The letters are actually quite flowing, probably more elegant than anything humans have created. I trot away from the computer and over to the couch. It's getting easier to move around, at least. I curl up in the corner, setting the book between my hooves.

"It's got the pony and Changeling version inside, so be careful with it!" 1416 calls from the next room.

"The Biology of Changelings..." I mutter, opening the cover.

-----

A Complete Guide to the Flora and Fauna of Equestria
Chapter Five; Section 2 - Changelings

It looks like this is the only section of the book in here - the inner edge is ripped from being torn out.

A Changeling is a quadruped with a distinctive equine figure. They feed solely on emotion and have no need for physical substance. The main offense and defense of the Changeling is their amazing shape-shifting abilities, which allow them to take on the form of any living creature they see. However, these powers are limited by size and time - Changelings cannot turn into things larger than their own mass, and their illusions tend to strain after long periods of time or when unconscious.

They enter pony society by kidnapping or killing a resident, and taking their form to live their life. The disguised Changeling acts close to exactly like the original pony, and can normally stay hidden for months, if not years. When a Changeling is discovered, it will either flee the town or kill whoever discovered it, leaving a space for another Changeling. When one Changeling flees a town, the others inside will also flee. Any of the ponies the Changelings took the form of are presumed dead after two weeks and a funeral is held.

Upon the capture of a Changeling, it was executed and dissected. When other ponies have skin, the Changeling has a solid gray exoskeleton, marked only by three gray bands behind the shoulder. These bands are slightly thicker, and imitate the rib stricture needed during a transformation.

I unintentionally glance at the next page - a full-page diagram of the dissected Changeling.

...ugh.

They seem to have two hearts with four chambers each, which can pump blood and therefore love throughout the body with double the efficiency. A small pouch between the lungs contains a green mucus which can be shot through the mouth when the heart rate increases. This mucus also bonds the arteries to the underside of the exoskeleton. The rest of the body space is filled with muscle.

The wings of a Changeling are made up of thousands of organic crystals that seem to be created when the creature goes through its metamorphic stage, as they are bonded by a substance similar to the mucus. The shell on its back is, as of this publication, indestructible. The fangs serve no purpose other than intimidation, for they seem too weak to pierce flesh. The eyes are similar to that of all equines, but the blue sheen allows them to see in the dark.

Changelings are dangerous and will attack if seen. Avoid at all costs. If a Changeling is seen, contact the Royal Guard in Canterlot.

-----

"Was any of that right?"

"Not really." 1416 replied. "Judging by the picture, they caught a very, very young Changeling."

"How much is wrong?"

"Keep reading. Hey, how do I make macaroni?"

"Instructions are on the box."

-----

HEY GUYS I WROTE THIS FOREVER AGO BUT YOU CAN READ IT NOW

Mostly because I have homework tomorrow (Health summative: Write a creative story about drugs, alcohol, reasons to say no, blah blah blah... I'm making a story about Pinkamena) you can read this now. The second part (Blahblahblah Not Equestrian Edition) will probably be out at the end of the story, or forever into the future, so... yeah. Expect the story as my next update, not this.

BUT HEY YOU DESERVE IT

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME