• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 7,765 Views, 195 Comments

Hive Mind - canonkiller



Why do my hands look like cheese all of a sudden?

  • ...
14
 195
 7,765

Lucky Finds

Hey, guys, guess what? I've found another bandwagon to join! Ta-da~

Message me here on FIM or DeviantArt, and I'll answer! (Introduction of new characters means you can message them too, if you feel like it)
----------

"No. Humans have two legs. Not four. And lose the tail."

"Am I getting closer?"

I lean back on the bed, easily remembering my previous form. "Well, sometimes. You get better... and then you mess up worse somewhere else."

"Like what?"

"Fingers. Faces... everything, really."

"Augh!" He flipped over, staring at his hooves. "This is hard. How did you do this?!"

"Well, maybe if you didn't give up so easily, you'd be human by now!"

"Because it took so long for you."

"Well, I happened to be human for most of my life, so..."

"This." He slammed the back of his head into the floor. "Is." Slam. "So." Slam. "Annoying!" Slam.

"Get a hold of yourself!" I yelled, glaring at him. "You know what? If this is so hard, be a bird. You can just follow me."

"Where are we going?"

"Wherever. Now show me how to teleport."

He rolled onto his hooves, and waited for me to turn back into a Changeling. With a swing, he touched his horn to my side and teleported away.

-----

Being tugged along by anothers' magic is not quite pleasant. Even less so when the final destination is in water.

"Where are we?" I yelled, pulling 1416's head out from under the water. "Where did you send us?!"

He spit out a stream of water before looking around. "I found a weak signal at the last second. A transformed signal."

I let him go and smacked his forehead. "You could have at least seen where we were going first!"

"It was a better idea at the time!"

I dunked my head underwater, looking around for any fish. Well, there weren't any nearby, but judging by how my eyes were burning, we'd found an ocean.

"Oooooww."

"What? Did the watwer huwrt the wittle Changewing?"

I reached back, shoving his head under the water.

"Augh!" He popped back up. "Water hurts, water hurts! How could humans live on a planet where the water hurts?"

"Great difficulty. Now find the... signaly thing."

"You expect me to go searching underwater?!"

"This was your idea, genius."

"But... but... water..." He frowned, poking at the surface.

"Oh, fine. But you owe me one." I picture a shark, hoping the gills will work themselves out. Luckily, they do. In seconds, I'm underwater, breathing fine. Which is good, y'know, because apparently Changelings don't have much experience with water. Without my hooves holding him up, 1416 starts to sink, his eyes squeezed shut and cheeks puffing out.

I think about yelling at him that he's an idiot, but after a few more moments I realize I can't talk, and instead push him back up above the water.

"I'm dying I'm dying... I'm not dying? I'm not dying! Oh, hey, thanks!"

I wait for him to change as well. Nothing, just him coughing a bit and looking around. I change back, making sure to catch him before he goes underwater again.

"Could you maybe change too? Just an idea."

"What? I haven't seen any animals, though."

"Uh, me? As a shark?"

"That would feel so weird though, stealing a form from you."

"Why?"

"I don't know, it just... seems like it does. I have an idea! It's going to be really, really amazing. I swear. Okay, you, you turn into a shark, and... and I... I will sit on your back and tell you where to go! Brilliant, isn't it? I'm brilliant."

"A better idea would be sticking your head underwater until you see something that swims."

"Oh come on. You know my idea is awesome."

"Actually, no I don't."

-----

I seriously don't know how he won that argument. But here I am, a massive, seaborn killing machine, towing him around the ocean. Occasionally he'll swat the side of my face, and I'll turn. But I don't think we'll be finding anything.

"Stop!"

I slow down as quickly as possible, trying to glare.

"We're right above it now. Find something for me to change into!"

I try my hardest to see, but shark eyesight isn't something worth noting. I realize just how stupid he is today when he sticks his head underwater to help.

"Eyes!"

Moron.

Let's just see just how powerful I am...

I change quickly, with a surge of power. "Gyyyrrrraaa!"

"Whoa." He mutters, sliding further down my back. "What is that?!"

"Gyrados." I grin. These fangs are impressive. "Gyrrraa."

"Neat. Now, form for me...?"

No time for that, good sir! I toss him up in the air, and gently catch him in my mouth. I can feel him scrambling around, obviously terrified. "Was that supposed to happen? Please tell me you meant to do that."

I take a deep breath, filling my lungs and my mouth with precious oxygen. And then I dive.

Never before have I felt so strong. For a virtual character, Gyrados is amazingly powerful.At least 1416 has stopped running around. He's poking my jaw, though. And I hope he's steering, because I'm following him.

I feel him kick, and I glide to a stop. Everything is dark, and judging by the weight on my back, changing forms now would kill me.

I can just hear him yelling from inside my mouth. "Can you see anything?"

I can't really see, but it's pretty dark down here.

Wait! Something just moved!

It's tiny, though. A little octopus, floating by. But it's the only thing moving down here, and because I can't see any warm geysers, there has to be something up with it.

Biologically changed.

A form that doesn't really know how it's supposed to work.

I surge forward, opening my mouth a few inches. 1416 shouts, before the octopus vanishes in my mouth. I can feel him tiptoing around the waist-height water, looking around for what I might have caught. The feelings of a struggle, and then there's two sets of hooves.

A kick. "Go on up, tubby!"

I growl, but obey. The time it takes is minuscule, pathetic even. I breach the surface, letting 1416 and his new friend escape my mouth before I change back.

Floating in the middle of the ocean, I take in the new Changeling. It seems just as startled as we are, looking at it's hooves and glancing between us.

"Well?" 1416 asked. "You are?"

It backed up, almost sinking. "I not know what am."

1416 facehoofed. "Couldn't you at least be grammatically correct!?"

"Calm down." I hiss at him. "You're just lucky I could talk."

He rolled his eyes as I turned to the unknown Changeling. "Can you tell me the first number that comes into your head?"

"1378." It quickly replies.

I turn to him. "Well?"

"1378..." He taps his chin for a few seconds. "Oh! Yeah, 1378. A little older than me, and... can make love! That's it. She doesn't need to feed off of others."

"Why are the numbers so small?" I wonder out loud. "There are, y'know, millions of you, right?"

"Well, that's just the number of us born in the main hive. Most fly in from the others when they're adults." He paused. "Aren't you always telling me to focus?"

"Yeah, yeah. Now, could you get us out of the ocean? We had a mission."

He shrugged, grabbing my hoof and 1378 - who flinched - and lit up his horn.

A flash of light, and the only sign we had ever been there was a small ripple.

-----

Not much for such a long time. I'll try to focus more on the next chapters.