• Published 16th Oct 2014
  • 1,240 Views, 18 Comments

We're Still Sinners - MemoryLane



Short, amusing slice of life stories about the Seven Deadly Sin ponies and their less-than-normal lives in Ponyville. Yep, things tend to get weird a lot.

  • ...
5
 18
 1,240

Ch. 2: The Seven Deadly Sins Play Dungeons and Dragons

“This is the stupidest thing I have ever done,” Covette said, fore legs crossed and slouching in her chair. “Ennui, you’re an idiot.”

“That’s no way to talk to your Dungeon Master,” Ennui replied. On top of her head, sat a wizard’s hat. She was busy organizing her papers, notes, and setting up a large trifold that faced away from the other six ponies gathered around her.

“What does that even mean?” Warble asked, staring at her from across the circular table. As well as Ennui, the rest of the sins and he also had small notecards and pieces of paper in front of them, as well as a few different kinds of dice. An exasperated sigh made itself clear through Cashmere’s large dining room, where the game of Dungeons and Dragons was about to take place.

And to think, it only took two hours to get ready, as well as to convince everyone that it was not a waste of their “valuable” time. “It means you listen to what I say,” Ennui replied. Warble cocked an eyebrow, and turned back to his notes.

“What’s the point of this game?” Cashmere asked, seated next to Vanity. “I mean, it’s nice that you could all join me in my mansion, but isn’t there something else we could do as friends?”

“No,” Ennui deadpanned. “This is the perfect way for us to bond, as well as complete some badass quests and learn and stuff.” Ennui paused. “Just do it once!”

“I don’t think so,” Covette said, rubbing her temples. Ennui frowned, and Vanity shot Covette a death glare. The envious mare took notice, and sighed. “Fine, as long as it ends quickly.”

“Good! I’ve planned this out so it takes roughly an hour or so. Though, my games with my buds sometimes take all day. Either way, you’re staying. Get comfy!” Ennui grinned, lazily. Her white mane shifted every time she moved her head.

Aphrodite looked at her notes, absolutely perplexed. She had totally been up for hanging out with the six of them, but she didn’t quite expect this. In fact, she was expecting something else entirely at the mention of “dungeons”. She raised her hoof. “So, in this game… can you do anything you want?” she asked. Covette rolled her eyes, and sat up in her chair.

“As long as you make the roll, and your stats match up, yes.” Ennui was almost finished with her notes. Aphrodite beamed, as if something had just popped into her head.

“Celestia dammit, I could actually be doing work right about now. It’s two in the evening,” mumbled Kindling. It had taken Ennui a lot of effort to get both him and Covette through Cashmere’s door. She had to resort to using… harsh means, to get them to come. In short, threats of secrets Ennui had figured out about them after a few hours of spying and snooping.

“Just humor her, please,” Vanity pleaded from the front of the table, next to Ennui. She was seated directly across from him. “I’m sure it’ll be… fun.” She said the words with uncertainty, but Ennui didn’t seem to notice. She simply stopped paying attention when Vanity started talking.

“I’m not too sure about this,” said Warble.

“I’m not a big fan of games in general,” Kindling huffed. Vanity pursed her lips. Even though Vanity and Ennui were good friends, Ennui was getting incredibly lonely. Or, at least, that’s what it appeared to Vanity. When Ennui said she wanted to get a group together for one of her silly games, Vanity couldn’t say no. What could go wrong?

“You all have your stats and whatnot figured out, right?” Ennui asked. The entirety of the group nodded. While most Dungeon and Dragon games consisted of characters, the six came to the agreement that they shouldn’t make this confusing and just use their names instead as the names for their characters. “Good! First, pick your class.”

From underneath the table, Ennui produced a large top hat. Previously, the mare had cut up six slips of random classes and tossed them into a hat. She gave it to the pony to her left, Vanity, as Ennui finished inspecting the last of her notes.

“Classes?” Vanity asked, holding the hat.

“They describe your abilities, and your stat growth. Just do it, we’re on a tight schedule,” Ennui said, waving a hoof in Vanity’s direction. The prideful mare shrugged, reached into a hat, and pulled out a slip of paper.

“Barbarian.” Covette held back a small snicker. “I don’t know what that entails, but let me pick again!” Vanity frowned, and Ennui shook her head.

“Nope! You’re a barbarian! They’re strong. They’re one of the best melee classes. Pass the hat to Cashmere.” Vanity being labeled a “barbarian” didn’t sit quite well with her. But she passed the hat along anyways. It made its way around the table.

“Fighter,” Cashmere read. He looked towards Ennui. “Can I be be a knight?”

Ennui nodded. “Yep, sure. You’re a fighter, you can fight however you wish. For the first time since everypony entered his mansion, Cashmere grinned. He passed the hat over, to Warble.

Warble reached into the hat, swished the remaining four slips around, and pulled one out a minute later. “Cleric,” he said. “What’s that?”

“Kind of like a healer. You can heal yourself, others, as well as fight. A rounded out class, really. Also, you can raise the dead, or resurrect,” Ennui explained. Warble looked down at his notes, then to the slip of paper, and then back again. He sighed, and passed the hat to the next pony: Aphrodite.

The mare actually grabbed the hat from him. Unknown to everypony else, Aphrodite was actually somewhat excited to get the game started. She was always up for new things. Besides, she had heard Ennui mention it before. She reached inside and pulled out one of the remaining three slips of paper. “Sorceress. So, like a wizard, or a unicorn?”

“Basically. You can use magic and cast spells and stuff.”

“Oooh…” Aphrodite murmured, and slid the hat over to Covette.

For a moment, everypony just looked at her. Covette didn’t pick up the hat. She just glared at it, as if it had killed her cat. Eventually, she gave in, grabbed the hat, and picked a slip out of it. “Rogue. Sounds badass,” she admitted. She crumpled up the paper, and tossed it behind her. Cashmere stared at her, as if he was telling her with his eyes, “You better pick that up.”

Kindling was last. He really had no choice. The older stallion was stuck with whatever was left. He reached in and pulled it out. “Bard,” he said. “The heck is that?”

“It’s like a singer, or artist. They’re a buff class that helps support everyone else.”

Kindling just stared, and said absolutely nothing. He just didn’t know what to say. Before he had a chance to throw a fit, Ennui spoke up again. “There, now we have our classes all picked out. The stats and whatnot should be listed on the guide I handed out. Are we all ready to begin?”

A few ponies nodded.

In an alternate Equestria, it was a normal day. Swordsman were working in their shops, merchants were selling items and potions at their stands, and citizens of ancient Canterlot were roaming the streets. It was a warm day, just over ninety-three degrees, with occasional clouds passing over the sun. But the six adventurers couldn’t tell. Deep inside the Bad Apple Bar, they loitered about, having drinks and telling tales of their nefarious quests-

“I don’t drink,” Warble said, interrupting Ennui’s story. Ennui furrowed her brow. Most of the ponies at the table didn’t even know how to play, and even they looked at him like he was being an idiot.

“Did you not hear me? ‘Drinking and telling tales’. You don’t have to be drinking, Warble.” Warble let out an “oh”, and sat back in his seat. Ennui waited a moment, staring at him, before continuing.

Everything was calm among them, and the other patrons of the bar. But then something happened. Something that would change the lives of those six ponies forever. A stallion entered the bar, asking for help.

“Help, please. I’m desperate! I’m in need of adventurers!” he said, his eyes wide with worry.

“Can I ask him what’s wrong?” asked Cashmere. Ennui nodded, and flipped over a card.

The stallion turned to look at the Fighter, Cashmere. “My precious jewel, my family heirloom, lost! Someone stole it, ran away with it! It means the world to me.”

“How can we help?” asked Vanity. Covette found it her place to open her mouth.

“A jewel, you say?” Her ears perked up. Even though there was actually no jewel involved, Covette just couldn’t ignore riches. Much to her disdain, Cashmere also appeared to already be taking an interest.

“Yes! My jewel! I really need it back! I’ll reward you handsomely,” the stallion said, with tears in his eyes. “I need at least six adventurers. I believe my brother, Mustachio, took it!”

“Ennui, really? Are you kidding? Mustachio?” Vanity asked. Ennui ignored her.

“He might have taken it to the Everfree Forest, where he lives. I’m not strong enough to confront him myself. Could you help me?” he said. Do you help the stallion? Please come to a unanimous decision.

Everypony answered “yes”. Though Kindling looked like he was getting more and more irritated by the minute.

Everyone agreed. The stallion looked at each and every one of them, and thanked them with excited eyes. “Thank you! Thank you so much! Please leave immediately, as in two days time the Everfree Forest goes through its shift, where it’s too dark and dangerous to travel.” You are all now apart of a new mission. Although, someone is going to be the decision-maker of the group. Everypony take out your twenty-sided die and roll. Highest number is leader.

There was a small silence, before everypony took in just what Ennui said. Each pony picked up their twenty-sided die and rolled it simultaneously. Ennui leaned over the table to document the results.

Vanity rolled a 4.

Cashmere rolled a 17.

Warble rolled an 7.

Covette rolled a 9,

Kindling also rolled a 4.

Aphrodite rolled a perfect 20.

“Wow. A natural twenty. That’s… impressive,” Ennui admitted. Aphrodite flipped her mane back, and grinned.

“It’s all in the way you use your hooves.”

A small silence, before Ennui decided to continue. She flipped through a few more cards.

The Sorceress, Aphrodite, was chosen to be leader because of her magical prowess, and higher intellect. It was only to be expected, after all. As well as the… fact… that she’s a gorgeous… uhm.. sorceress...

Truthfully, Ennui hadn’t expected anypony to roll a perfect 20 in the first roll. She struggled to come up with a reason why Aphrodite would be a good leader. She fumbled over her words. Vanity simply frowned in her direction. Aphrodite smirked, and flicked her tail.

Now that the leader had been chosen, t’was time to adventure forth. They left the bar moments later, leaving the helpless stallion behind, praying for results. Since this mission could indeed be their last, they turned to their bard to keep up their morale on the road. Alright, Kindling, sing your party a song.

Kindling, who hadn’t expected to hear his name, did a double take. “Wait, huh? Sing a song?”

“Yes, Kindling. You’re a bard. You’re an artist. Therefore, you sing. So, sing your party a song as they all head out on their mission. Keep their spirits up,” Ennui said. Warble chuckled, and Kindling shot him a stare that shut him up immediately.

“No way! I’m not some kind of clown. I didn’t even choose to be a bard anyways, I was stuck with it!” Kindling argued, his temper slowly beginning to rise. Aphrodite simply grinned.

“As your leader, I suggest you sing, Kindling.” The stallion glared at her, but ended up only sighing.

“Fine.” He took a deep breath. “Go team go. La-dee-dah. Let’s go get some jewel.” Kindling spoke-sang. The rest of the group clapped, only infuriating the stallion further.

“Well, my spirits are definitely higher now after hearing your wonderful voice,” Covette laughed.

The group, now fully rejuvenated, left Canterlot. The trip from there--to Ponyville--and then to the Everfree Forest would be a long and tiring one, so they left early. The wind was blowing gently, but it wasn’t enough to shelter everypony from the heat. For now, it was bearable, though those wearing armor were having troubles. Cashmere, Aphrodite, Warble, roll your twenty sided die. Over 9 determines if you keep your armor on through the game.

Cashmere sighed. Warble frowned. Aphrodite grinned.

Cashmere rolled a 18.

Warble rolled a 10.

Aphrodite rolled a 20.

“Really? Again?” Ennui cleared her throat, looking at Aphrodite. The mare chuckled, taking pride in her own luck.

The heat proved to be nothing, barely slowing any of you down. You kept going, not looking back as you made your way down a dirt trail. It didn’t take long before something stopped them in their tracks. There was an overturned cart in the middle of the path.

Ennui stopped and waited, hoping that somepony would know what to do in this obvious situation. Covette’s ears perked up. While looking through the notes provided to her earlier, she noticed something. “Uh…” she flipped through them, until she came across what she was looking for. “Perception check?”

In order to do a perception check, Covette must roll a 6 or higher.

Covette sighed. She really didn’t wish to play, so she realized that she was only making this harder on herself. She picked up the dice, and rolled it.

8.

Perception check is successful. The cart appeared to be made of wood, one used for hauling around fruits, items, and potions. It was overturned, and unknown if anypony was inside. Though, it was very quiet, and there could be useful items inside. Do you look inside? The Leader must share with me her decision, but you may all still share your opinion.

Warble was the first to speak up, getting more and more into the game. “Why not?” he said. “Free stuff inside.”

“Wait, but she said there could be someone inside. What if we get jumped?” Vanity said, looking at her leader, Aphrodite. The lustful mare appeared to be regretting her decision that being a leader was a good thing.

“But, maybe there isn’t. I don’t wanna skip out on weapons and stuff,” Warble countered.

“And if there’s someone inside,” Kindling started, “We can just beat the Hell out of ‘em and take it anyways. Problem solved.”

“What if there’s more than one of them? I think we should just leave it alone,” said Vanity.

“She’s got a point, but it’s stuff that I want that could possibly be in that cart,” added Covette. Being the Attribute of Envy, none of the other sins expected nothing less.

“The game just started, though,” said Cashmere. “I don’t want to die right when the game just began.” Cashmere turned to Aphrodite. “Surely, you must know of the dangers?”

Aphrodite looked from pony to pony, eyes wide. She was never good at making decisions, and she believed that she may have screwed up somewhere in the last few minutes. “I… uh… can we check inside the cart?” Vanity and Cashmere shook their heads simultaneously.

The leader wished to have the cart inspected. It very well could be a trap. Everyone roll, lowest number checks the cart.

Reluctantly, the group rolled their die. Most of them hoped for a high number, while a few of them were simply indifferent. Aphrodite, once again, rolled a 20. Kindling rolled a 6, the lowest number out of all of them.

“Goddammit,” Kindling grumbled. “Fine, I opened the stupid cart.”

Kindling, the bard, was wisely chosen as the pony to inspect the cart for danger. He walked over to the car, and attempted to flip it over. Unfortunately, the cart was still occupied. A looting bandit was already inside, searching. When Kindling made his presence known, the bandit attacked with a knife. Kindling, roll a reflex save to see if it connects. More than 14.

Kindling totally saw this coming. He rolled with a sigh. 7.

“Oh come on!” he shouted. Ennui snickered, and continued.

The bandit took away half of Kindling’s health with a surprising stab to the abdomen. Before anything could be done, or his fellow team could retaliate, the bandit escaped with a large bag with all the items he found from inside of the cart. He fell to the ground, injured.

“Kindling, no!” Vanity shrieked, eyes wide. Ennui was slightly pleased with how Vanity was getting into the game.

“I’m not actually hurt, you idiot,” Kindling retorted.

“Wait, you said clerics are healers, right? Can I heal him?” Warble asked. Kindling looked towards Ennui, expectantly. Perhaps he really did care about if he lived or died in the game.

Luckily, a cleric was among the adventurers. He sealed Kindling’s wound within moments, and Kindling was ever so grateful, although he’s still in danger. The rusty knife that the bandit used could indeed have been infected. Roll again, Kindling. Aim for over 4 or more.

Kindling rolled again, his face growing tight. 14.

“Finally, something starts going my way,” Kindling said, sitting back in his chair. Covette smirked at the old stallion for some strange reason.

“You’re welcome, Kindling,” Warble said. Kindling only waved a dismissive hoof at him.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.”

After everybody started feeling better, you all checked the cart, and it was empty. The bandit had looted all of it. Disgruntled, you all continue on your way. Luckily, there were no more intrusions or distractions on your way. You make your way to Ponyville a little after four o’clock that day. The heat from the sun began to wane a bit, the air growing cooler with every passing minute. While Ponyville wasn’t as rich or large as Canterlot, it made up for in generosity and hospitality. There were merchants, and families littered around town, milling about.

“Does this town have a brothel?” Aphrodite asked. Everyone turned to stare at her as a few awkward seconds passed by.

“Aphrodite… really?” Vanity asked, her eyebrow cocked. Aphrodite nodded with an expectant grin.

“That’s gross,” Warble muttered, so quietly that almost nopony could hear him.

“As a matter of fact, they do,” Ennui grinned. She flipped through her cards until she found the right one. Everyone was absolutely floored, while Aphrodite’s tail began swinging back and forth.

“Wait a second,” Cashmere interrupted. “You’re trying to tell me that you have a scenario planned out incase we wanted to check out a… a whore house?” He simply stared at Ennui with wide, confused eyes. Little did anypony know that Aphrodite actually slid Ennui about ten bits before the game began. Ennui didn’t know why, but she figured that that had a part in it. She had no role in Aphrodite’s frequent natural 20’s. That stumped her.

“Eeyep,” Ennui gave the rest of the group a lazy grin, like she had planned this all along. Kindling’s eye twitched.

“I-I don’t want to go to the brothel. Why don’t we check out something else? There are merchants. Can’t we stock up on items or something?” Warble asked, desperate. He didn’t feel comfortable going somewhere with that many seductive mares. He felt like if he went, he would be betraying Fluttershy somehow, game or not.

“I’m the leader. I make the decisions around here,” Aphrodite said with a small snicker and a bat of her eyelashes. “It’s a brothel. I’m sure we won’t stay bored for long…”

“You have got to be kidding,” Covette groaned. Although she wasn’t happy, she sat back in her chair in defeat. She wasn’t in the mood to argue with Aphrodite over some stupid game. But Warble had a point, even if she wouldn’t admit it. Brothel’s were gross. Her mane hung limply in front of her face.

Not wasting any time, the adventurers decide that the Ponyville Brothel would be their first destination. After all, they were in need for some… relaxation. Lucky for them, it wasn’t very far from their location. They reach the parlor within minutes. The inside was very old-timey, resembling an old deserted bar. There were ponies drinking on their stools, talking to a waitress, and on the other side of the room was a rickety, worn out stage. There were many dancers lingering about, talking to guests.

“Well, great. Aphrodite, this was your master plan. What next ‘oh-great-leader’?” Kindling snorted. A fire burned inside of his eyes, and he hoped that Aphrodite would have some sort of idea, rather than just trying to get laid in a game. Kindling didn’t put that past her.

“We have a good time,” Aphrodite grinned. The rest of the group groaned.

“I go to the bar and get a drink,” said Covette. “I’ve had enough of this.” Warble chuckled, while Vanity casted them both a dirty glare. Why was it so hard for ponies to just play the game?

Covette, being as tired as she was, decided that getting some alcohol in her veins was a great decision. She wandered over to the bar, and began to pour down some brewskies. Meanwhile, the rest of the group hung around the area.

“Sweet,” Covette smirked. She really was craving some, though, but decided to wait. She didn’t want to miss anything interesting.

When Covette sat down, she heard two dancers speaking next to her. They were talking fairly loudly, so it’s quite impossible to not overhear.

“Did you hear about Tail? About her brother, the stallion with that weird Mustache?” said one dancer.

“Yeah. Hehe, I heard he stole some jewel from his brother, and that the owner is trying desperately to get it back. Tail over there doesn’t know what to do-”

“Wait, so… this Tail… she’s the sister of Mustachio and the guy who gave us our quest? She’s in the brothel?” asked Vanity. She gazed at Aphrodite, who had had the world’s largest grin on her face. Somehow, Aphrodite knew exactly what she was doing.

Covette already knew exactly what to do. “I… uhm, ask them about Mustachio,” she said, her face contorted.

You try to get information from the two dancers. As a rogue, your Charisma is already very high. You must roll a 5 or more.

Covette hated rolling the stupid dice. With a sigh, she rolled. 2.

Speech check failed. The dancers looked at you, cocked their eyebrows, and turned their back to you, rudely. They even laughed a little bit.

Covette’s temper flared. Who cared if this was some kind of game? There was no way she was going to let somepony treat her like she was a joke. “Oh yeah? Well I punch them in their no-good, snotty, piece of sh-”

“Wait!” called Vanity. She looked through a few of her cards, eagerly. “Charisma… the more stats of it you have, the better, right?” Ennui nodded. “Who here has the highest Charisma that isn’t Covette? They’d be able to talk to them and get information.” Vanity may sometimes seem like a ditz, but sometimes Ennui viewed her as a very underestimated mare. She appreciated that about Vanity.

One by one, the seven of them read out their Charisma stats. Oddly enough, everypony did not have good stats. In fact, Covette was the only pony who had a normal than average one. The highest stat happened to belong to Warble, ironically enough.

“I-I’d rather not… I have a marefriend, I shouldn’t even be in there…” Warble argued politely. He put to hooves in front of him, defensively. Ennui didn’t even give him eye contact, but she did let out an annoyed huff. As DM, she wasn’t allowed to interfere.

“Warble, we’ve been playing this game for thirty minutes,” argued Kindling, his face stained red. “That’s 29 minutes more than I would have liked. It’s a game. Fluttershy doesn’t exist in this world.”

“She… doesn’t?” Warble looked like he wanted to cry.

“No! I didn’t mean it like… ugh,” Kindling buried his head in his hooves, his mane hitting the table with a soft “whomp”.

“Warble, just help us out here. You’re not trying to date them. Just talk to them,” said Cashmere. Suddenly, his eyes widened. “Wait, Ennui, are the dancers male or female?”

Ennui’s eyes opened larger than usual. In fact, no pony had ever seen Ennui open her eyes fully, for she was always drowsy looking and tired. When she did, it was a weird experience. “Uhm… I… Erm…”

“Aha!” said Covette. “She doesn’t know, therefore we choose. Warble, you don’t have to talk to two really attractive skanks, you just need to imagine that you’re talking to two barely dressed, homosexual stallions.” As soon as the worlds left Covette’s mouth, she couldn’t stop herself. She reeled her head back, and cackled with laughter. Warble blushed, and gulped.

“Probably why they didn’t take a likening to you, Covette,” added Cashmere, with a devious smirk. Covette ignored him.

Warble must roll over a 10 in for the Speech Check to be successful.

Warble rolled, reluctantly. 17.

Speech Check successful.

“I… uhm… I walk over to the stallions, and.. uhm… I say… ‘what’s up?’” Warble said, in the most awkward manner possible. The other five turned to look at Ennui, eagerly. Surely, she had the perfect response. Every time one of the stallion’s spoke, Ennui would try and act as “gay” as possible. Aphrodite didn’t seem to mind this. In fact, she couldn’t keep herself from twitching her ears.

“Oooh, hey there, big boy,” one of the stallions said to Warble with a toothy smile. He turned to the other dancer, who was shifting femininely in his seat.

“What brings a mighty young cleric to this side of town? Lookin’ for a good time, studmuffin?” said the other stallion. One of the stallion’s moved over, so that way Warble could sit in the middle of them.

Warble was starting to resemble a cherry. He didn’t know how to feel. While it did seem like Ennui was trying to come on to him, she was trying to portray a gay stallion. Warble couldn’t figure out just which one was making him blush so hard. Meanwhile, Covette and Kindling were barely able to contain their laughter. Ennui’s portrayal of a gay stallion was threatening to anger Vanity, but she kept her mouth shut. They were holding onto each other, trying to calm themselves down.

“N-No! I… I over heard you two talking about Tails, and that… erm… situation.”

“Ohoho!” said one of the stallions. “We got ourselves an eavesdropper. Somepony’s naughty, needs to be taught how to behave and not listen in on adult ponies’ conversations.” He looked at the other stallion, as if they were having an inappropriate conversation with their eyes.

“Hmm.. maybe we’ll tell you what you need to do, for a favor…” said the stallion with a wink.

“Ennui, what the Hell, man?” Kindling interrupted, his mouth wide open with horror. Everypony except Warble and Aphrodite were staring at Ennui in disgust. Actually, Aphrodite was excessively squirming in her seat and biting her lip.

“We can’t have Warble do that. It’ll traumatize the kid,” replied Cashmere.

“I don’t get it,” piped Warble. “What, does he want me to grab some groceries for him or something?”

“No, Warble,” Vanity said sullenly. “No.” Warble looked at her with a furrowed brow. “Ennui, you can’t do that. That’s just wrong.”

Ennui, who was not in the mood to argue, groaned loudly. “As the DM, I’m allowed to do whatever I damn well please, thank you very much,” she said. When she received a hard glare from Vanity, she reconsidered life. “Erm, alright, fine.”

“Tails left a while ago. She lives with her brother, over in the Everfree. She works here, after all. Preeeeeetty good dancer, hmm…? Not really my type, though. She’s, like, not even attractive, right?” said one stallion, turning to the other.

“Oh em gee, not even a little bit,” said the other. “I heard she takes house calls though. If you just head down the main path, you’ll find it after a while. Then again, my place would be so much better. Have you ever touched a stallion before?”

“You’re making this really weird,” Cashmere said. Ennui rolled her eyes.

“It’s a story, bro. Chill.”

“You don’t need to be harassing him, though.”

“I’m not.”

“Right…”

Without another word, the two stallions walk away, off to dance gaily for money. They gave Warble air kisses and various winks as they left.

“Well, great. We know exactly where he is. Let’s go beat the shit out of him, and get that Jewel.” Kindling sat up in his chair, his fiery mane whipped around like it was caught in the wind. Aphrodite simply shrugged.

“Let’s all go to the Everfree.”

Covette was going to speak up, and ask about getting weapons and swords, but she deemed that pointless. After all, they were all given predetermined weapons that went with their classes. Covette herself had daggers, Warble had a giant mace, Cashmere had a rapier, Aphrodite had a staff(she was rather excited by this weapon, for some reason), Vanity had an axe, and Kindling had a lyre, and a small hidden dagger underneath his armor. They’d be fine. Covette couldn’t help but wonder what kind of potions there were in this game, but she didn’t feel like asking.

They exited the brothel upon learning their necessary information, they make their way outside. However, their spirits were definitely dwindling after that encounter. The reality that they could all die was setting on them, so they turned to Kindling to lift their spirits. Kindling, please sing and dance for your group.

Kindling’s face grew red. “Oh, what the Hell! No! I did that earlier!” He actually jumped out of his chair.

“Actually, you just sang,” Covette commented with a small smirk. Kindling turned her to her, opened his mouth, paused, then shut it and turned to the rest of the group.

“No! What does this have to do with the game, Ennui? Huh? Tell me what my humiliation does to this group!” Kindling’s rage was reaching a peak. Covette and Ennui, who were seated directly next to him, scooted away quickly.

“Y-You’re livening the spirits of your fellow adventurers!” Ennui replied. She said it as if she was asking a question more so than giving him a clear answer. Kindling roared with anger, cursed loudly, and walked towards the door.

“I’m done with this game!”

SLAM.

They were left with six.

“Well… that sucks,” Warble said, breaking the silence. “Note to self, never ask him to be jolly.”

“Way to go, Ennui,” said Covette with a sigh. “You know what? I’m done with this game too. This is for losers. I’m outta here.” Covette pushed back her chair, and without giving any of the other ponies a second glance, wandered out of the room after Kindling.

“Pffft, that’s fine. They can’t handle this game. Anyone else feel like leaving?” Ennui asked. “I still have so much more planned! I have quicksand, poison pits, monsters, an awesome boss battle!”

Warble raised his hoof. “Oh God, I’m out.” Warble said. “I almost had to give another stallion a favor. I can’t take monsters. This game is too extreme for me. Thanks anyways, Ennui! I appreciate the invite,” He said, getting up out of his chair. Aphrodite started to follow him.

“Yeah, thanks! It’s been fun! We should do this again sometime. Uhm… in the future. I gotta get going. This entire experience gave me a great idea in regards to… erm, things.”

“But wait! It’ll be fun! A-Aphrodite, we can go and have more fun in the brothel!” Ennui, desperate for her friends to stay, jumped on top of the table. What she had told herself in her head she was trying to do was do some kind of alluring dance that mimicked the dancers in the whore house. What she actually did was flail her body in a really, really, weird way.

“Yep. That’s enough for me,” Cashmere said, after taking one look at the dancing mare on the table. “Sorry,”

With this--Warble, Aphrodite, and Cashmere exited the room. Dejected, Ennui sat back in her seat. Vanity put a hoof on her shoulder, shimmying a little closer to the lazy mare.

“Don’t feel bad. They’re just not into that kind of stuff. I actually did have a good time,” said Vanity, a kind smile adorning her lips. Ennui sniffled, and looked Vanity in the eyes.

“You did?” she asked. “But no one wanted to even be here. They left before things got good…”

“I did have a good time. And they didn’t appreciate or know how much this meant to you. I do, though. I’ll play this game with you whenever you need somepony, alright?” Vanity said softly. Ennui’s ears perked up, and she gave Vanity that same sloppy, lazy grin.

But then Cashmere decided to burst back through the door. “Wait, this is my house,” he said.