• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 3,108 Views, 65 Comments

My red eyed Friend - Freelancer



Fluttershy has always been scared of dragons... so why then does this one say he's an old friend?

  • ...
2
 65
 3,108

Chapter 2: The Strangest of New Friends

Chapter 2: The Strangest of New Friends


“Hey AJ, we got any more of those muffins you made?” Rainbow Dash asked as she withdrew her head from the picnic basket, giving Applejack an inquiring glance as she did. “They’re really good.”

“Sorry Rainbow…” Applejack chuckled from where she was lying on her back in the grass, her face concealed beneath the brim of her hat. “But I think you ate them all already.”

Rainbow Dash grumbled to show her annoyance at the apparent lack food, before once again slumping on the picnic blanket, an action which rewarded her with a few giggles from her friends. It was a perfect day in Ponyville for a picnic, and hence the group of friends had all found themselves drawn to yet another social gathering in Ponyville Park; all of them relishing in the company of their friends, the warmth of the sun, and the happiness that came with living in the peaceful land of Equestria. The day had so far gone off without a hitch, other than a slight lack of food in Rainbow’s opinion, and the unexpected absence of a certain yellow pegasus pony, due to an apparent bought of the feather flu.

“I reckon she’s just faking…” Rainbow had announced loudly when Rarity informed the group of Fluttershy’s illness, and hence her unavailability for the meeting. “That pony… uh… it’s like she lives inside this personal bubble and never wants to come out.”

“Be that as it may, Dash, she will not be attending… but that does not mean we cannot enjoy this occasion anyhow.” Rarity had replied dryly, eyeing Rainbow Dash with a look of annoyance, which silenced both Dash and the subject from then on.

Hence for the next few hours everything had gone as well as could be expected; copious amounts of food had been eaten, endless stories had been told, and eventually everypony had forgotten all about Fluttershy and her unconfirmed absence due to illness. The subject of Fluttershy did, however, at last resurface, when Pinkie had decided to ask her friends what their biggest fears were, and, as usual, despite each pony’s effort to steer away from the subject, Fluttershy’s fear of just about anything ended up filling the conversation.

“I swear she’s actually scared of her own shadow,” Dash sighed from where she was lying on the red and white picnic blanket, face-hoofing herself to show even she was embarrassed at the fact. “I mean come on… when it comes to fears there’s understandable and legit, and then there’s just plain ‘what the hay is wrong with you?’.”

“I’m agreeing with Dash on this one,” Spike put in, tossing a small ruby in to his open maw and chewing with a few loud crunches. “I mean… no offense… but I think she’s afraid of more things than she isn’t…”

“Look you two…” Applejack suddenly snapped as she lifted her hat and glared between Rainbow Dash and Spike, the amount of venom in her voice and deep green eyes surprising everypony. “So Fluttershy has got a few fears and all… but it ain't no reason to go talking bout her like this behind her back… if ya'll remember correctly, she’s the one who got that dang snoring dragon to move when none of us could… and you Dash, of all ponies, should remember that.”

There was a few moments of awkward silence before anypony spoke again, as usual though, it was Dash who decided to break down the wall that was Applejacks argument; jumping into the air and hovering just above the amber pony, hooves clenched and face set in anger as her cyan feather wings slashed the air. The problem with Rainbow Dash was that the only thing bigger than her mouth, was her stubborn ego; so when somepony took a swipe at her pride she had a habit of biting back without thinking first.

“Applejack, don’t you try and take the moral high ground here… you know just as well as I do that she was terrified of that dragon, and she only acted how she did because we were in trouble. I’d bet my wings if you put another dragon in front of her, she wouldn’t be acting so tough.”

“And so what then Dash?” Applejack said bitterly as she got to her hooves and returned Rainbows’ death glare, stomping the ground and snorting in annoyance. “Are you telling me you aint scared of dragons… and I don’t mean like little Spike here, but I mean fully grown dragons?”

Dash snorted at the remark, and crossed her front hooves in response while remaining in the air.

“No Applejack I’m not scared of…” Rainbow started, and then her magenta eyes flicked up and shot open so they were as wide as dinner plates. “…dragon!”

“Dragons…” Rarity corrected, replacing her ceramic tea cup on its plate before wiping her mouth with a red napkin. “Plural, Rainbow Dash… more than one drag…”

“NO I MEAN DRAGON! AS IN ONE DRAGON!” Rainbow screamed, pointing her cyan hoof in the direction of the southern sky and the Everfree forest. “AS IN THE DRAGON RIGHT THERE!”

Thinking that Rainbow Dash was just being silly, the group of friends laughed and ignored her continued ranting while they went back to their casual conversations, but when a loud thud could be felt through the ground, out of pure curiosity, Spike flicked his gaze in the direction Dash had indicated, and that was when his eyes widened as far as Dash’s had.

“Ah… Twi… we might have a slight problem,” Spike said calmly, gently on tapping on Twilight's shoulder to get her attention.

“What’s that Sp…” Twilight began as she turned, her words falling away as she came face to face with the glistening red scales, hot breath, and huge ivory fangs of a rather large dragon, who was staring down at her with a pair of dark red eyes. “Oh…”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………


Titan had spotted the group of ponies just as he came over the northern edge of the Everfree forest, his keen red eyes easily picking up the bright splotches of varying colour against the sea of green grass, which he instantly flew towards. He was surprised, as he came closer, to see one of his own kind resting among them, a hatchling maybe but a dragon none the less, which he hoped meant they wouldn’t just jump and run at the first sight of him; a hope which had so far gone his way considering a cyan pegasus had spotted him. Now the hatchling and a purple unicorn were now looking up at him in a manner more so of confusion then fear, while the cyan pegasus continued to shout at her friends, although apparently they thought she was lying and hence ignored her.

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything…” He said as he folded his mighty wings by his sides and lowered his body to the ground, trying to sound as gentle as possible despite his deep thunder voice. “But I was wondering if you can help me find somepony you may know?”

The purple unicorn flinched as his words reached her ears, but did nothing else other than stand in awe of him, as did the slack-jawed purple hatchling; her friends, however, seemed to have been startled by his sudden input into their social conversations, and upon realizing his presence had almost jumped out of their fur coats in surprise. Now six sets of eyes were staring up at his red scaled face, all with different expressions within them as they realized the cyan pegasus had not been lying after all.

“Ummm… ok… before we do anything, can I ask who you are, and what you’re doing here?” The purple unicorn said, the tone in her voice sounding somewhere between nervous and curious to Titan’s ears. “No offense or anything… but it’s just that dragons… never come to Ponyville… ever.”

“Of course… my name is Titan, and I am here to try and make amends with an old friend of mine…” He smiled, pulling back his lips, and showing his rows of shining fangs in the friendliest expression he could. “It has been some years since we have spoken, but I doubt she has forgotten me.”

“And who would this old friend be?” Asked the cyan pegasus, leaping into the air and hovering just in front of Titan’s cider barrel sized red eyes, with a look of utter disdain on her face, her hooves up like she was ready to try and fight him. “Because the last I heard ponies and dragons don’t get along at all… no offense or anything Spike… so why should we believe you and your story?”

Titan sighed and rubbed his face with his claw, his rising razor sharp talons missing the soft cyan body of the pegasus by a scale-width as they came up, and causing her to hurriedly jump backward with a yelp. He had expected to encounter such resistance to his efforts, but it was still annoying to say the least, not to mention time consuming.

“I see why you doubt me… I am a dragon, and you are ponies after all… but you must understand I am not here to cause any trouble, rather to try and make amends for some I caused years back when I was young. I did something long ago which hurt somepony I held dear to my heart… and after all this time, it’s finally caught up with me, and now I cannot think without it filling my mind at every turn.”

Slowly he lowered his claw to the soft ground, and ran his eyes over the hatchling and each of the ponies in front of him individually, making sure his red eyes met their own so they could see there was no harm or aggressiveness within them. Strangely his words at the same time had also sparked a sorrowful fire deep inside himself, he had rarely thought about exactly what he had done, but now it was all coming back and with it the realization of how heartless he had been.

“If you do not wish to help me, I understand… but I will not be leaving here until I at least have a chance to speak with my old friend, and at least try to put things right between us.”

For a few moments there was complete silence other than Titans deep breathing, and the sound of the wind running through the nearby trees, during which Titan could do nothing other than flick his tail and pull his talons over the soft earth in an effort to calm his nerves. He knew that without the ponies help, getting anywhere close to his old friend, let alone apologizing, would be impossible. Eventually however an amber pony came forward and ran her emerald eyes over Titan before speaking, her strange and yet gentle voice shattering the harsh silence that had settled and dissipating all of Titan’s fear at once.

“Look… Titan… normally I wouldn’t go dealing with any dragon other than Spike here… but… to me ya seem to be honest with what you’re sayin, so I guess, as long as we keep this low, and don’t go telling anypony you’re here, I’ll give a you a hoof.”

“And if AJ trusts you, so do I,” put in a white unicorn a moment later, smiling and bravely stepping forward beside her friend; it was a sight which brought a smile to Titan’s maw which only got bigger as each of the six, including the cyan pegasus, eventually stepped forward and in turn decided to help him, it seemed to him these ponies weren’t so bad after all, and perhaps now he had a real chance of putting things right.

Soon Titan to his utter amazement found himself unexpectedly, and almost forcefully, dragged into the ponies’ remaining picnic by a highly energetic pink pony, who was strangely enough named Pinkie Pie, and who in Titan’s eyes was a perfect female pony version of Thane. Hours soon flew by as he lay there with his head on the soft grass and was bombarded him with various questions, which he was happy to answer as his scales and wings soaked up the afternoon sun, although the cyan pegasus who called herself Rainbow Dash never took her untrusting eyes from him.

Eventually the day began to end and he decided it was time to confront his demons; rising to his feet and shaking, before making his intentions known to his new friends of what he planned to do before the sun set.

“If you think you’re ready then… ok…” Said the purple unicorn, who had introduced herself as Twilight Sparkle, her eyes shifting from her friends to Titan as they finished clearing up the last remnants of the picnic. “Who exactly is this somepony you’re looking for?”

“It has been many years since I saw her, so she may have changed her appearance…” He sighed as he cast his eyes up to the sunburned evening sky, the same as he had done that shameful day all those years ago, as he had silently walked away. “…but her name is Fluttershy,”

“FLUTTERSHY?” came six amazed voices at once, followed shortly by the soft wail of one of the ponies fainting.


………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Notes:

Not the most exciting chapter I know so I’ll be quick…

I won’t be doing many notes but there are two things that a friend asked about that I want to clear up before I go any further.

1) There is NO Titan/Fluttershy shipping or anything like that going on
2) Thane will be back later for a minor part but other than that he’s out…I will admit though that there will be another dragon