• Published 18th Feb 2015
  • 5,655 Views, 78 Comments

Her Number One Assistant - Aura Zero



Spike has a secret within a secret that's not exactly a secret....

  • ...
12
 78
 5,655

...Stays a Secret...

Spike and his date, Rarity stand in front of a diner called Gentle Gardens, a place very well known around Ponyville. Spike smiles proudly at his impressed-looking date, who stares at the restaurant in surprise.

"Wow Spike, I'm impressed. I didn't think you could get reservations here. They are quite hard to reserve." Rarity says as she smiles at him.

"Only the best for you, Rarity." Spike coos, eliciting a blush from the mare as she giggles lightly.

"Careful Spike, I might just take that offer after this." She says as she winks at him.

Spike smiles at her as they both walk in the restaurant. They walk up to the door waiter behind the stand and Spike speaks up.

"Hello good sir. Table for two reserved under Spike please." He says as the waiter looks at his checklist.

"Ah, yes. Welcome Spike. Right this way please." The waiter says as he escorts the pair.

They soon make it to their table and Spike quickly moves to pull out a chair for Rarity. She smiles sweetly at him as she takes her seat. "Thank you Spike. Ever the gentledragon."

"Of course." Spike says with a smile as he moves her seat forward. After ensuring that she is comfortable, he walks over towards his seat. However, he stops dead and his eyes grow wide as he notices something a few tables away.


Rarity is admiring the design of the place as she looks around, however, she stops once she sees Spike just standing in one spot facing away.

"Spike dear? Is something wrong?" She asks in concern, however he doesn't respond. He just keeps looking away.

Rarity tries to find out what has his attention and was rather surprised at what she saw. A few tables down was one of hers and Spike's best friend Twilight. She was giggling happily with a stallion that Rarity knew well.

"Is that Twilight with Caramel? I never knew those two were an item." Rarity says with glee. She notices that Spike jumps slightly with this statement.

"I-I know right?" Spike says as he hops in his seat with a small smile.

"Did you know Spike?" She asks him.

He nods and looks their direction for a quick second. "I found out today. She told me Caramel just asked her out while she was shopping."

Rarity giggles slightly in excitement. "I can't believe our Twilight is on a date! I didn't think at all that she was interested in romance."

"Yeah, me neither..." Spike grumbles, Rarity barely able to hear it.

She notices that he didn't seem all that happy. "You seem bothered about it."

He quickly perked up at that. "No! Not at all!" He said quickly. "I'm happy she found somepony. Maybe now she will go out of the library more."

Rarity nods with a smile. "That's quite true. She does lack in social etiquette."

The two share a small laugh at that. Soon after, the waiter comes over.

"Hello and welcome to Gentle Gardens. May I start you two off with drinks as you check these menus?" The waiter says as she places the menus in front of them.

"Yes, I'll have the Chateau La Grave 98 if you have it." She nods and Rarity smiles at that. She turns to Spike. "How about you Spike?"

Spike is looking to his right but quickly looks back. "Oh! I'll just have the same she's having."

The waiter nods and then trots away. Rarity looks at Spike in intrigue. "I didn't know you like wine Spike."

Spike looks at her in confusion. "What makes you think that?"

Rarity frowns at that. "You didn't even hear what drink I asked for, did you?"

Spike blushes slightly in embarrassment and he rubs his scales sheepishly. "Not exactly. I guess that means it was wine then."

Rarity sighs. "Spike, is their date bothering you somehow?"

Spike's eyes grow wide and he shakes his head rapidly. "No! Why do you-"

"I saw you looking over there quite a bit since we've been here Spike." She said flatly.

Spike freezes for a moment before he sighs. "I'm sorry. Its just I've never seen Twilight date somepony before. Guess I'm just a bit worried about her."

Rarity smiles at him. "You're worried she might mess up or something like that."

"Uh, sure. Something like that." Spike says with a small nod.

"Well, knowing Twilight, she probably read a book about romance. I just hope they weren't the tacky ones." Rarity says as she sneaks a glance their way. She notices them smiling at each other while chatting the day away. Rarity smiles at this. "Seems like things are going great. Maybe you don't have anything to worry about after all."

She looks and sees Spike look their way. He nods at seeing them. "Yeah, maybe not." Suddenly, his eyes grew wide. Rarity grew curious and took a glance to see what surprised him, but turns her head completely at what she saw.

Caramel was leaned over the table as his lips were locked with a rather surprised looking Twilight. A small gasp escapes her lips when Twilight responds and moves forward into it. "Well, Now I know we definitely don't have anything to worry about."

Rarity turns and sees Spike looking down. She grows curious but he speaks up first.

"I have to use the restroom really quick." He says and quickly gets up and walks towards the bathroom.

Rarity watches him as he leaves in curiosity, however, she gets pulled away as she hears a voice.

"Rarity?"

Rarity turns and sees Twilight walk up to her in surprise. Rarity smiles wide at seeing her. "Why, hello Twilight! Whatever are you doing here?"

"I could say the same to you. Are you and Spike on your date here?" She asks while looking around.

"Yes we are. It was quite the surprise to find he got us reservations here. But how about yourself? Who are you accompanying in such a fancy diner?" Rarity says, a mischievous grin creeping on her muzzle.

Twilight blushes visibly at that. "Oh, just Caramel. He asked me to eat here since his cousin owns the place and he gets in free. I merely came to see how it is here."

Rarity couldn't hold back her smile as she speaks, "Well it seemed to me that you came for a little more than just the scenery darling."

Rarity giggles as she sees Twilight blush a deep red in the face.

"Y-You saw that?" Twilight says flustered. Rarity nods and smiles mischievously at her.

"I did. And might I say it must have been quite amazing judging by how you melted into it."

Twilight is speechless for a moment before she merely sighs and nods at that. "It was." She looks at Rarity is slight panic. "Did Spike see it too?"

Rarity nods. "He did."

Twilight frowns. "How did he react?"

"I don't know actually." Rarity says thoughtfully with a frown. "He left for the restroom right after it happened."

"Oh, well okay then. I should head back then. I don't want to be away too long."

"Oh! Don't let me stop you! Go on." Rarity says with a small giggle as she waves her away.

She watches as Twilight rejoins her date. He says something and her eyes grow wide, a small blush appearing on her face as well.

She turns back to her table with a smile. I wonder if I will be hearing about them two soon... She thinks as she waits for her date to return.


Spike walks out the bathroom with a small sigh. After seeing what he saw, he really needed a moment to himself.

"I guess they must be dating now." Spike says to himself. He looks up determined. "I have to be happy for her. She'll be happy with him, I know it."

After taking another deep breath, he walks confidently back towards the table. As he gets close, he catches a glimpse of Twilight walking away from his table. His eyes grow wide at that. Oh, no... He thinks as he hesitantly continues to his table.

When he gets to the table, he climbs back in his seat and looks at his date. He is surprised to see her already staring at him with a smile.

"Done with your business?" Rarity says after a moment.

Spike nods with a smile in return. "Yeah, sorry for leaving like that. When nature calls, ya gotta go."

Rarity nods in agreement. "That's quite true. Although, you did miss out on Twilight coming over."

Spike dreaded that response. "O-Oh. Did she say anything?"

Rarity's smile grew which unnerved him. "Oh not much, but I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. Everything is just fine with them. "

Spike glances over and sees the two chatting away happily again.

"Yeah, nothing at all.."


Spike and Rarity both walk out with smiles on their faces after the rather appetizing meal they had in the restaurant.

"That was delicious, if I do say so myself." Rarity says as she looks toward Spike. "How about your meal Spike?"

Spike looked up seemingly in thought. "The fries could have been cooked longer but other than that it was amazing. I'm especially thankful that they added some rubies in the salad."

Rarity smiles. "Glad to know my gift was appreciated."

Spike turns to her in surprise. "You did that?"

"Guilty as charged." Rarity says before moving close and nuzzling him. "Consider that my 'thank you' for this lovely dinner."

Spike blushes visibly. "A-Anytime."

Rarity pulls back. "I should hope so. It would be a shame if this was the last one."

Spike smiles. "Then I shall look forward to our next planned dinner."

Rarity giggles slightly before turning away. "As will I. For now though I have a few things to attend to."

Spike looks towards the library for a moment. He then walks forward. "Do you need any help?"

She turns and smiles at him. "I appreciate the offer, but I must do this myself. Perhaps you could stop by the boutique tomorrow?"

Spike nods with a smile. "Of course!"

Rarity moves forward and plants a small kiss on his cheek. She then turns and trots off towards the boutique.

Spike places a claw where she kissed. "Wow. I think she might like me."

Spike hops in place happily before he turns and walks towards the library.

He talks aloud as he walks. "The date turned out great. If I play my cards right, soon I'll have the most beautiful mare as my marefriend." He says happily as he walks up to the door of the library. As he gets there, he walks past a window and notices something. Curious, he backtracks to see and his eyes grow as wide as dinner plates at what he saw.

Twilight was walking up the steps in the library with Caramel in tow. Spike's mind started racing as he thought. They can't be planning to do what I think they are! But, they were only on one date! She's not ready for that!

On that thought, Spike rushes to the door and slams it open, surprising the two halfway up the steps.

"And where do you two think you're going?" Spike says with a frown as he folded his arms.

Twilight looks at Spike in surprise and confusion. "Spike? What are you talking about? And why did you slam open the door?"

Spike's frown deepened. "You know what I mean! You two are going upstairs-"

"So I can show him my collection of Star Swirl the Bearded journals."

"Yeah...wait what?" Spike says in confusion.

Caramel decides to speak up. "She told me she had copies of Star Swirl's journals. I asked if I could see them."

"Yeah, and they are upstairs on my personal shelf." Twilight says still looking at Spike. He grows embarrassed, realizing he thought too much into it. He also feels stupid for even thinking it.

"Oh, okay then. I'll just leave you guys to that. Sorry for opening the door so hard." Spike says as he turns and takes a step to leave.

Twilight speaks up. "You're leaving Spike? I was hoping you would join us with reviewing his journals."

Spike stops, but doesn't look their way. He couldn't right now; otherwise she would get worried.

"N-No Thanks Twi. I have something to do anyways. I'll be back later."

Before she could say more, Spike quickly left the library and away from town.


"Spike! Wait!" Twilight yells but Spike was already out the door. She runs towards the door and sees him run off in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres and frowns. "I wonder what he has to do there."

"He's probably helping Applejack. She did have a lot of apples to deal with today."

Twilight turns and sees Caramel walking up to her with a smile as he looks out towards him. "That guy sure is a helpful little dragon. Always doing what he can to help others. Heard he's trying to get with Rarity. Hope that goes well for him."

Twilight looks at him in surprise. "You know about that?"

He nods. "I'm sure more than half of Ponyville knows by now. It was because of the incident a month ago."

Twilight frowns, remembering his birthday. "Guess others still talk about that..."

Caramel shakes his head. "Oh not at all! I know everypony forgave him a long time ago. Hard not to when he's always so helpful."

Twilight looks at him. "So you don't think its weird that a pony dates a dragon?"

He shrugs. "Shoot, don't bother me at all. You like who you like."

Twilight smiles at him. "That's good to know."

He returns the smile and raises a hoof. "So, about those journals..."

Twilight perks up. "Oh right! Follow me. You will be quite surprised at my collection." She says with excitement as she lead him to the bedroom...

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter is so late. I wasn't around to post it for a while.

Also this was a last minute decision, but I decided to cut the last chapter in half and add another chapter. It was too long. The third is a little short, so I decided to add a bit more to it. Expect the chapter 1 day after this one.

Also, comments are always welcome!