• Published 10th Oct 2014
  • 1,086 Views, 16 Comments

The Price of Wings - Rainbow Factory Dash



Twilight became a princess a few thousand years ago, and she will live forever. But her friends and family couldn't, and it's impossible to change that. Right?

  • ...
7
 16
 1,086

Visiting Your Best Friends

Princess Twilight Sparkle made her way through her crystal palace in Ponyville. Dressed in formal attire - her crown, her coronation dress and her shoes that had small replicas of her cutie mark on each of them - she made her way to the Ponyville Graveyard. In the morning, the Summer Sun Celebration would be held in Ponyville. It has become a custom to have it in Ponyville almost every year, because this is where the elements truly came to life and freed Princess Luna of the evil inside that was Nightmare Moon.

As the purple princess made her way through the streets of Ponyville, she was given many quaint bows and "Hellos!" But she ignored all of them, as if she didn't see or hear anypony.

As Twilight neared the graveyard, her head bowed a little, and her steps slowed.

In the center of the cemetery she found the headstones she was looking for.

She bowed her head at them and gave a small smile as tears fell from her eyes freely. "Hello," she started. "I hope you can hear me, all five of you." she added, addressing each of the five headstones in front of her. "It's been, what? Three thousand years?"

The first in the row read "Here Lies AppleJack, representing the Element of Honesty. She never lied to anypony." The second said "Here Lies Pinkamena Diane Pie (Pinkie Pie), representing the Element of Laughter. She always did what she could to make her friends laugh and smile." The third said "Here Lies Rarity, representing the Element of Generosity. She always gave what she could to her friends and family." The fourth said "Here Lies Fluttershy, representing the Element of Kindness. She showed kindness and compassion towards anypony and anything." The last one in the row read "Here lies Rainbow Dash, representing the Element of Loyalty. She was always there for her loved ones."

Twilight bowed her head as fresh tears still flowed from her red eyes. Her throat was starting to get soar from all of her tears. "I-I know I haven't visited much... I've been busy... The Summer Sun Celebration is tomorrow morning, and I arranged for a ceremony to be held in your honor.

"I've arranged for a little something to be held in honor of each of you. Pinkie, there will be a big party after the sun is raised. Rarity, there is going to be a fashion show during the party. Fluttershy, since I've gotten a professional pet-sitter to watch over all of your pets and get new ones in your honor, him and I have arranged a pet show where your pets show off some of their talents before the sun is raised. Applejack, you'll be happy to hear that the Apple Family Farm is still in perfect condition, and the family business is running smoothly. The cider is still as amazing as ever, and there will be a big sellout for it during the Summer Sun Celebration. Although it isn't as good as when you made it, it's still great. And Rainbow Dash, at the beginning of the celebration, there is going to be a big race for all the young pegasi. Any filly or colt that wanted to has entered, and there are about fifty is my last check on preparations was accurate." Twilight finished, sitting down.

The purple mares tears had ceased as she was talking

"Oh yea! I almost forgot!" Twilight said. "I brought something for all of you." The alicorn smiled, but her smile wavered as tears threatened to leak out of her eyes again. "I brought a gift for all of you, as an anniversary gift to represent the day we met and the day we became best friends."

The purple unicorn materialized a bushel of red, shiny, freshly picked apples. Twilight levitated the bushel of delicious looking apples atop the cow ponies grave with a soft, loving smile. "These are for you, Applejack. They're the best, shiniest, ripest apples in the entire orchard. I hoof picked them myself for you."

She made a bundle of yellow balloons with blue strings and blue balloons with yellow strings materialize in the air in front of herself. The purple mare levitated a rock away from some nearby shrubbery and tied it the the balloon strings with her magic. Twilight took the bundle of a dozen balloons and put it on Pinkie Pie's grave. "And these are for you, Pinkie. I made them myself. They aren't as good as how you used to make them, but I know you'd... you'll love them anyways."

Twilight made a small chest appear on the ground beside her. It was white and studded with various sparkling gems, like diamonds, rubies, emeralds, amber, peridot, citrine, amythest, crystal quartz, spinel, and tourmaline. She levitated the beautiful white chest close to her muzzle, and wiped off the few pieced of dirt that had clung to it with a handkerchief. She spread the handkerchief on Rarity's grave so the chest could rest upon it so no dirt would get to it. Before she put it down, Twilight turned it around so the front of it faced Rarity's tombstone. The princess opened it, revealing the treasures inside. Inside the chest were many blue gems, such as aquamarine, topaz, tanzanite, zircon, sapphire, and opal. "All of these gems are from the royal treasury in Canterlot, Rarity. I know you've always wanted to see what's inside of that giant room filled with priceless gems, and you never got to. So I went in there myself and picked the gems to make the chest and the gems to go inside." The alicorn said. "I put in some sapphires shaped like rhombuses to represent your cutie mark," Twilight levitated one to show it to the headstone. After she put it back, she levitated an opal gem. "And this one, an opal, was put in to represent your cat." Twilight put the box down atop the handkerchief and moved on to the next grave.

Twilight made a rather big yellow box with light pink swirls appear next to her. She turned towards Fluttershy's grave and opened a small slit in the box that was hiding a screen. When it was fully open, she tilted the box so it was facing the grave directly. Inside the box were many butterflies, all of them pink. She released a couple so they could flutter around Fluttershy's grave. "All of these butterflies are trained," Twilight started. "They will do whatever you want them to do; I used a spell on them so they are trained to listen to your voice and obey you. You could make them fly around in beautiful patterns and put on some shows maybe if you'd like. At least they won't be fluttering around wildly."

Twilight turned to the last grave. "I know you're gonna just love this Rainbow Dash." The mare with amethyst eyes said, addressing her rainbow maned friend who was in the sky above. Twilight made a silver box about seven inches wide and nine inches long. She turned it towards Rainbow Dash's grave and opened it, revealing the gold pendants inside. "Do you know what these are? Oh of course you do, you only talked about wanting them everyday of your life!" Twilight said with a sad laugh. "Anyways, they're the very pendants worn by your absolute favorite Wonderbolts of all time. The one to the left is Soarin's, the one in the middle is Spitfire's, and the one to the right is Fleetfoot's." Twilight said, pointing to each pendant as she spoke with her hoof.

Twilight put the silver box on top of Rainbow Dash's grave. The alicorn smiled at the graves.

She felt a drop of water on the tip of her muzzle. Twilight looked up and saw the black and grey storm clouds forming above Ponyville. She frowned. Why would the pegasi make it rain on the night before the Summer Sun Celebration, she wondered. Oh wait... I know why... because I requested it...

Princess Twilight sighed and stared at the ground, her eyes beginning to sting as tears threatened to come. She looked up at the graves and remembered her first meetings with the five mares.

It began to rain. A sudden downpour, as she had requested.

Applejack introducing her to the Apple Family and stuffing her with food. Hearing Fluttershy practicing with her birds for the musical display she would be performing for the Summer Sun Celebration the next day. Rainbow Dash proving that she was a fast flyer and a great weather pony, along with completely destroying Twilight's mane. Rarity helping Twilight with her mane and giving her fashion tips, all the while winning Spike's heart. And Pinkie Pie's enormous 'Welcome To Ponyville' party in Twilight's honor at Twilight's house.

The school-smart unicorn thought that all the introductions had been nothing but nuisances in their own ways. From getting completely stuffed that it was hard to walk to getting her mane obliterated, everything that day was a bit of a disaster in Twilight's mind at the time.

But even after everything that day, those five mares that had ruined her day, became the most important ponies in her life.

And they always would be.

Twilight thought about all of this, and more fun memories with her friends. She smiled at the thought while tears streamed from her eyes, staining her cheeks and neck. At least no one would be able to see her. Not only because she was alone.

But because nopony can see you crying in the rain.