• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 6,938 Views, 366 Comments

A shadow of what I once was. - FaelaArts



Twilight get's caught in a blizzard, and finds Sombra, broken and unconscious.

  • ...
7
 366
 6,938

Chapters Next
I once had everything.


An explosion of love, destroying the shadow, all but a horn. It flew through the air, landing in some bushes. The sun began to shine, and the world moved on.

The first to come were the ears, allowing him to hear his surroundings.

Next, the eyes, to see the grass that hid his recovery.

A mouth, followed by his pitch black mane growing back in.

A body, four legs, and finally a tail. A lot of time had passed, but he was finally whole again. A pull using his hoof to drag himself forward, he no longer just saw bush, but a large white expanse of snow. Slowly, it began to fall on his exposed body, and he closed his eyes. His body had finally returned.

But his power had not.


“I really hope the empire is okay. Celestia assured me Cadance and Shining are fine, but I really don’t know. We’ve seen this force before.” While Twilight knew with the Crystal Heart being in the open, all the citizens could feel safe. But what if they started to doubt. It could very well end in ruin.

“Calm down Twilight dear, use those exercises you talk about so often.” Rarity smiled warmly, and put a hoof on her lavender friend. Turning, Twilight smiled, taking note of the three crystals on Rarity’s white flank. Did they signify heritage to the Crystal Empire? Unlikely, but Rarity did love being Crystal-ified.

“We’re with ya Twi.” Rainbow Dash smirked, tossing her rainbow mane as it rested on her bright blue fur. Beside her sat Fluttershy, hiding her yellow body behind her bright pink mane. Jumping up and down the middle of the train cart, Pinkie Pie was a pink bundle of energy. Applejack stretched her orange hooves, and yawned, flicking her yellow tail.

“How much longer will it take Twilight? Isn’t the ride normally a lot faster than this?” Looking out the window, Applejack took in the whirling snowstorm outside. They really should have thought to bundle up before hopping onto the train. Spike, a purple baby dragon with green spikes, cleared his throat.

“We had to go slower because of all this snow, it’s iced the tracks due to the sudden change in weather. There’s a high chance the train could derail at top speed.” Spike looked to Twilight and beamed at his knowledge, earning her nod of approval. Twilight was proud to see Spike was starting to study more often.

“Looks like we’re pulling in now anyway, is everypony ready?” Twilight waited for the train to shudder to a stop, and then stood up, leading her friends out of the train onto the blistering, snow-covered platform in front of them. As they shivered their flanks off, the train shuddered to life once more, and left.

“I-It’s t-too cold to l-leave the train here t-the en-gine would f-freeze,” commented Spike as they slowly made their way down the precarious stairs, and into the knee high snow around them. It was fortunate they had arrived before it had gained a few more layers. Unfortunately, they seemed to arrive at the storm’s peak. Looking to each other, they trained their eyes forward, and focused on the pink sphere surrounding most of the Crystal empire.

“Don’t get separated, it’s easy to get...lost.” Twilight raised her head, and blinked as she realised her friends were gone. Looking up, she realised to her dismay somehow she had ended up going in the opposite direction. Thankfully it was still visible, but the train station had vanished from sight. Gritting her teeth, she focused her eyes on the sphere, and began walking once more.

The snow was quickly growing deeper, and each step was growing harder. Twilight flared her wings and leapt into the air, falling to the ground instantly as the wind slammed her down into it. Raising her head, she slowly opened her eyes, and looked around, fear suddenly erupting onto her face.

“Nononono! No!” Looking around wildly, Twilight could no longer see the portal. Looking for the hoofprints, they were also gone. Running in one direction did not bring it up, and she began to try them all, running around in a large circle. Looking around, she thought she saw a sparkle of pink through the snow, and began to run toward it. Yes, yes she had found it. She wasn’t going to die! She wasn't-

“Oof,” tripping over something, Twilight raised her tail, using it to constantly keep track of where she had last seen the pink as she turned to look at what had tripped her. Narrowing her eyes, she began to dig away the snow, seeing what looked like something dary gray, and irregular looking. After growling, and pulling all the snow off with her magic, Twilight had to do a double take, opening her eyes wide.

“Eeek! Sombra!” Twilight leapt back, charging up a spell as she prepared for a fight. However, a minute passed with no movment from the unicorn with the curved, smooth, horn. It almost looked like a dragon horn instead of a unicorn one. Twilight took a hesitant step closer, and brought her gaze toward the body half-buried in a frozen bush. There was the slow rise and fall of movement. Lowering down, but still holding a spell just in case, Twilight poked him, and leapt back.

Nothing, either Sombra was unconscious, or a really good faker. Twilight glanced in the direction of the city, what should she do. Twilight couldn’t just leave him out here to die. Looking around, Twilight narrowed her eyes as she made out the shape of five ponies standing just inside the barrier.

Heaving a sigh, Twilight picked up Sombra in a special reverse-shield bubble. If he woke up, he would have a hard time getting out. Biting her lip, she slowly approached her friends, who widened their eyes at her catch, and then narrowed them in suspicion.

“Spike, tell Cadance and my brother to come to the edge of the shield here, and tell them to bring a magic suppressor. I know I shouldn’t have brung him, but I couldn’t leave him to die out there.” Twilight paused, and waited as Spike saluted and dashed off. Turning to her friends, she motioned to the edges of town still peeking out of the sphere.

“See if you can find one that’s half in and half out, with an entrance on the outside. I can’t bring him past the shield, so our best bet is some sort of shelter.” Twilight looked to her friends as they shared a glance, but nodded. After a while, all returned, including Spike.

“There’s an abandoned house not far from here that will work.” Rainbow Dash looked to Cadance and Shining, pink and white respectively, and waited as they shared a silent look. After a moment, Cadance sighed and smiled warmly at Twilight.

“It’s fine, I understand your decision. Let’s get this suppressor on him first.” Cadance held it out and Twilight took it in her magic, quickly sending it through her shield and slotting it awkwardly over the horn. Sombra shuddered slightly in response, but did not wake. Twilight breathed out, and followed her friends around the edges of the sphere as they made their way to the house.

Chapters Next