• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 6,935 Views, 366 Comments

A shadow of what I once was. - FaelaArts



Twilight get's caught in a blizzard, and finds Sombra, broken and unconscious.

  • ...
7
 366
 6,935

PreviousChapters Next
I'm often left wondering, what are we to Sombra?

“Twilight,” he spoke, approaching Twilight who was currently talking to Fluttershy. Both turned, startled by his sudden appearance. In his magic was a leather bound book. Sombra held it out, but didn’t let her take it, looking down as he carefully chose his words.

“I...require assistance. I believe this shall serve as appropriate payment?” Sombra let Twilight take the book and her wings flared up as she opened the the first page, gasping in silent joy. Blinking, she quickly snapped out of it and levitated the book to her side, and turned her gaze on Sombra.

“You really don’t need to give me something if you need help, what do you need?” Twilight waited as Sombra pulled out a circle she actually recognised. It was obviously designed for earth pony magic, but much more she couldn’t decipher.

“I wish to use an Earth Pony to activate the sigil to grow a large crystal in order to regain the last vestiges of my magic. However, I have reason to believe the Applejack might refuse, and I do not want to get the pink one involved.” Sombra put the sigil back in his saddlebags and took a step forward as Twilight shrugged, putting the book down near her throne.

“I’m sure she’d help you, but I can ask her for you if you really want, do you want to come with Fluttershy?” Twilight turned to her friend as she glanced between them, and shrunk back.

“U-Uh actually A-Angel asked me to t-take him shopping if-if that’s okay with you I mean.” Fluttershy shrunk as Sombra glanced to her, and relaxed slightly as he returned his gaze to Twilight.

“Of course Fluttershy, I’ll talk to you about our plans later.” Twilight smiled, and Fluttershy quickly left. Turning to Sombra, she motioned with a wing, and they left the castle.

“You know, I could give it a try, being an Alicorn and all.” Twilight blinked as Sombra winced, and looked away.

“Alicorn magic is too powerful for the sigil, it would burn up if you attempted it.” Sombra paused and yawned softly as they walked the rest of the distance in silence. As they entered the farm, Applejack was quick to notice them.

“Howdy, is something wrong?” Applejack saw no undue alarm on Twilight’s face, so it was obviously nothing too serious. Twilight smiled warmly and shook her head, motioning to Sombra.

“Sombra needs an Earth Pony to help him with a spell, do you think you can help?” Twilight waited patiently as Applejack put down the basket of apples near the barn and nodded, approaching and looking toward Sombra.

“Why, ‘course ah’ll help ya. What do ya need?” Applejack watched as Sombra pulled out a circle of some sort, and pointed to it.

“This is a gravity sigil. It requires earth pony magic to work. Essentially, you just need to touch your hoof to it when I give the signal.” Sombra paused, and Applejack tilted her head.

“Well, ah won’t lie about the fact I have no clue what this is all about, but ah trust ya.” Applejack smiled and tilted her head, pausing and giving a frown as she saw a look of confusion cross Sombra’s face for a moment. It was gone a moment later, and he turned, clearing out a large area of any sticks and twigs, burning away the grass with a spell.

“Right,” he spoke, eyes glowing as magic glowed on his horn, and he tapped it to the clear ground. A crystal sprung up, bigger than an apple tree, and he blinked, eyes returning to normal. Raising his head, he pulled out a large bag from his saddlebags and levitated the contents out. It looked like a mixture of dirt and metal. Once more, his horn glowed and the mixture spread around the crystal evenly, adding a metallic sparkle to it. Sombra pulled out the piece of paper, and held it to the crystal’s side.

“Alright, put your hoof there.” Sombra stepped slightly to the side, still holding the piece of paper, as Applejack approached and did as she was asked. Sombra’s horn glowed, and his eyes once more glowed green.

“Woah, Is there supposed to be a sorta drainin’ feelin’?” Applejack felt herself start to get slightly dizzy, but didn’t remove her hoof. The crystal glowed a bright white, and Sombra looked up at it.

“Yes,” he replied as the glow reached it peak, and then died out suddenly. Applejack fell to the ground, panting like she had just run a marathon. After catching her breath, she raised her head and widened her eyes at the pitch black crystal. Sombra smiled, and returned the paper to his saddlebags.

“Yes…,” he hissed, putting a hoof to it as his eyes continued to glow, leaking purple mist. Licking his lips, he blinked, and the glow faded once more. Turning, he returned his attention to Applejack as she stood up.

“Ah dun think ah can do that a second time. It feels like I ran a marathon twice.” Applejack wiped the sweat off her brow as Sombra nodded.

“In opportune circumstances, I would not have to resort to an untrained Earth Pony, but as such you produced a black crystal, where a purple would have been adequate.” Sombra turned and his horn glowed, shattering the crystal into many smaller crystals. It would be best to slowly eat them, otherwise he might overload himself and explode.

“Uh, thank you?” Applejack wasn’t entirely sure what Sombra had said, but she got the feeling he was trying to give a compliment. Sombra turned to Twilight, still holding the crystals in his magic.

“That is all I require.” Sombra bowed his head slightly at the two, and walked out of the farm without another word. Twilight followed him with her eyes, before turning to Applejack and shrugging.

“Thanks for the help Applejack, maybe you can convince him to help on the farm now.” Twilight winked, and they both chuckled, shaking their heads.

“Nah, ah dun think he’s tha’ farm type. Ahm just happy to be helpful.” Applejack smiled, and they both parted ways.

PreviousChapters Next