• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 6,934 Views, 366 Comments

A shadow of what I once was. - FaelaArts



Twilight get's caught in a blizzard, and finds Sombra, broken and unconscious.

  • ...
7
 366
 6,934

PreviousChapters Next
Oh why not have a little fun first, no need to rush.

Twilight slowed to a stop as she caught up to Sombra, widening her eyes at the large group of ponies standing in lines behind the batponies. One batpony off the side was Glimmerwing, who saluted and trotted to meet her, leading to a small hill that overlooked the clearing in front of them. Twilight narrowed her eyes, seeing movement in the Everfree.

“I estimate ten squadrons.” Sombra took a spot on the hill and narrowed his eyes, musing quietly. Twilight turned and paled, what did he just say? Glimmerwing nodded, and saluted Twilight.

“Your highness, we can confirm our scouts saw at least eight squadrons emerging from a large nest in the Everfree. We believe it to be their base of operations.” Glimmerwing saluted, and waited for orders. Twilight paused and tilted her head.

“Uh, charge the changelings when they leave the Everfree I guess?” Twilight glanced toward Sombra, and then to the line of ponies, seeing most of her friends in there. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were absent, but that was likely due to the work she had given Dash. Twilight jumped slightly as Sombra sighed, and turned as he opened his mouth in irritation.

“Have the civilians form a defensive line to ensure no changelings get close to the town, and have the batponies engage them halfway to the town. Their keen senses will prevent them being fooled by the changeling’s disguise, and prevent it from turning into a 1 v 1 fight.” Sombra glared openly at Twilight, who smiled sheepishly. Sombra was once again right, the transformation would be the biggest threat.

“Do as Sombra said, and watch out for my signal.” Twilight waited as Glimmerwing bowed, and turned to join the forces. However all three turned as three changelings exited the woods, one holding a white flag. Twilight’s eyes widened, and she tilted her head.

“Surrender?” Turning to Sombra, she realised once more she had made a crucial mistake.

“No, they request a truce to communicate with you.” Sombra stepped down from the mountain, and waited at the bottom. Glimmerwing took to the air, hovering by Twilight. Slowly following Sombra, they headed out into the zone between both armies. Glancing into the Everfree, she gulped as she sat the hundreds of eyes staring at her.

“What do you want changeling.” Sombra glared openly at the one in the front, who cringed and took a step back. Pausing, it transformed into a smaller version of a queen changeling, whom Sombra did not recognize, and began to speak.

“I am changeling #57, and as one of the original 100 I have been chosen to convey my queen’s words to you. She asks you surrender now, or we will attack.” The changeling did not mimic her voice, so Twilight could tell he was male. This was her first time hearing a changeling speak Equestrian, and she wondered if all normal changelings were male.

“I’m not going to surrender to you, after what you did at Canterlot!” Twilight lowered her head, glaring openly at the mini-Chrysalis. The changeling paused, and glanced to the others, and then bowed his head.

“She responds that it will be your funeral.” The changeling lost his disguise, and turned, heading back toward the Everfree. Twilight turned, and all three once more climbed the small hill.

“I don’t know if we can do this Sombra, there’s too many changelings.” Twilight bit her lip as the first line of changelings emerged from the woods, and changed into batponies. After a moment, they paused, and both armies looked at each other. Glimmerwing quickly bowed, and left to join the squadron near the back. Twilight bit her lip.

“I feel so useless, but I have no way of telling who’s a changeling.” Twilight watched as both armies began to slowly march toward each other, and felt a wave of relief to see all her friends were in the line defending Ponyville.

“That is the role we are born to play,” he replied softly, watching closely as the armies met, and the clash began. The changelings were numerous, but the batponies were skilled. For each changeling that got an attack off on one, fifteen had been knocked out in return. Soon enough, the second squadron of changelings joined in.

“It wasn’t for me. My role before I got these wings was just to spend time with my friends, reading, and write friendship reports to Princess Cel-” Twilight cut herself off as she saw Sombra scowl, and decided not to ask about it, wisely. Sombra breathed out and looked away from the fight toward Twilight, and touched his horn to her’s.

“That’s the spell to detect changelings. Cast it on your friends, join the fight.” Sombra waited as Twilight widened her eyes and touched her horn, and glanced down to the fight. Surprisingly, all the changelings were no longer disguised. Narrowing her eyes, Twilight realised that there was a shimmering around them. Twilight grinned, this was an excellent spell.

“Thanks Sombra. Don’t forget to signal the squadron waiting in the sky.” Twilight looked to Sombra and gave him a warm smile, knowing he did not like hugs. Galloping down the hill to her friends, she quickly cast the spell on them and looked to the other ponies. After reassuring them to stay where they were; Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rarity both charged into the fight.

Sombra once more returned his eyes to the fight, watching the line of ponies as they faced off against the changelings. Two more squadrons emerged from the Everfree, and their forces were forced to fall back and regroup before advancing once more. Sombra narrowed his eyes and glanced toward the forest.

Finally, the changelings sent in five full squadrons, demolishing the front line instantly, overwhelming everypony. Sombra concentrated, and fired a bolt of magic into the sky, not watching as it exploded into fireworks. The changelings looked to him, distracted for only a split second.

The flank charged into the changelings, demolishing half as they sliced through them like rice paper. The line of ponies, bolstered by the new squadron, once more reformed and began to beat back the changelings, even as the final squadron pushed in. Sombra looked toward the forest, and swore loudly. There wasn’t ten squadrons, there was-

“Gyaaah,” came Twilight’s cry as the five squadrons remaining burst from the woods, and charged the line of civilians. Quickly, the fight descended into pony vs pony, and Sombra scrowled. This would be their loss unless something happened soon.

“I was wondering when you would approach.” Sombra turned as Glimmerwing landed, and smiled warmly, dropping his disguise and revealing himself as the larger version of the queen the changeling had made earlier. The queen bowed, smiling as she saw her forces crushing their resistance.

“I am Queen Chrysalis, and you are Sombra, the mastermind behind the bloodbath at the Battle of the Crystal.” Chrysalis smiled, this time a green glow escaping her eyes. Sombra turned away from the fight, and faced her, a bored expression on his face.

“It took your race a thousand years to find me for revenge? I will admit, your inability to search for me is quite surprising.” Sombra saw Chrysalis narrow her eyes and growl, leaning forward so she was eye level with Sombra, who somehow looked down on her despite the fact he was smaller.

“You destroyed fifteen generations of hard work! You murdered the queen without remorse, knowing you doomed our race to extinction!” Horn glowing, she fired a spell at Sombra, who watched it hit his armor without regard, not fearing his safety even slightly. This only aggravated Chrysalis more.

“Ah yes, Queen Pupa, I believe she gave birth to a queen shortly before I killed her. Then again, it could have been slightly after.” Sombra put a hoof to his chin, and looked away curiously. Chrysalis cried out in outrage and dove at Sombra, horn glowing brighter. Diving forward, she missed the small smile as it descended onto Sombra’s face, and he leaned forward, the attack not only missing him, but putting him in perfect biting distance for her neck.

“I hate vegetarian, but beggars can’t be choosers,” he spoke, opening his mouth and biting down on the soft shell covering her neck, cracking it as his teeth punctured it. As Chrysalis tried to struggle, her cries of pain rung out across the clearing, and all fight ceased, as if on command. The changelings began to writhe on the floor in pain, holding their necks. Sombra breathed in through his nose, and began to drain the magic from her body.

“Sombra stop!” Twilight shouted up toward the hill as she saw Sombra holding Chrysalis’s body by the neck, almost like a dog holding a bird it had just caught. Sombra turned, regarding the battle. Crystalis groaned, the color fading from her shell as she began to fade to a light gray. Sombra released, and she fell to the ground, the changelings stopping their writhing on the battlefield. Levitating her head up, Sombra put a hoof on the neck, and pressed down very gently.

“Take your queen and leave, or I’ll wring her pretty little neck right here and now.” Sombra did not shout, but his voice carried, and the changelings quickly leapt into action, five flying up to the hill and snatching Chrysalis, who was still alive surprisingly. Sombra watched them go, and then turned, heading back to the castle. Twilight blinked as everyone began to congratulate her on her victory.

“Tha' Sombra guy is mighty creepy sometimes. I mean he almost killed a pony back there.” Applejack shuddered. Pinkie Pie leapt forward and beamed.

“And you were all like voom boom and vamm and then like ‘no sombra!’ and then he was like ‘fiine’.” Pinkie Pie giggled, and Twilight smiled warmly at them. In the back of her mind, however, a small disquiet continued to sit in her head over Sombra’s actions.

PreviousChapters Next