• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 1,633 Views, 14 Comments

The Shy One - TheBluWaffle



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash go through some tough times as young fillies in flight school.

  • ...
3
 14
 1,633

Chapter 4-Futtershy's Nightmare

Chapter 4-Fluttershy's Nightmare

I slowly opened my eyes again. I couldn't sleep at all today. I wondered if it was the thought that was swimming in my brain, the one from earlier. I couldn't get it out of my head! I kept thinking about it, over and over again, but I still didn't have the answer. It should have been abundantly clear what my choice was...but apparently, it wasn't. I turned around in my cloud, sighing from my tiredness. I was so sleepy, but, it's almost like I was too tired to sleep. I closed my eyes again with another sigh, but they opened right back up when I heard a noise...

"Mmph..."

It was so faint, but I could hear it! I turned to look towards the origin of the sound, and for a moment, all I could hear was silence. I shrugged, but then I heard something else; a voice.

"No..."

No? What's with that? Who was saying--

"S-Stop...please..."

Okay, that was a bit frightening. I immediately stood up, despite my bitter will, and walked towards the entrance to Fluttershy's room er...my room. At least I had the extra bedroom...

"Please...no..."

It was as clear as a bell now. That was Fluttershy alright, but I had to wonder why her voice sounded so...scared. It's like she was begging someone to stop, but they wouldn't...is that what was happening in her mind? Oh no...

I quickly looked in her room. Fluttershy was squirming around in her bed, panting and sweating, as if she was running or flying really fast.

"Please...don't hurt me!" She yelled.

That was the loudest I had ever herd her speak. Obviously, something bad was happening in that brain of hers, something emotional...something painful.

I quickly sprang into action. She was flailing around so much that I had to apply a little pressure to her hooves, to keep her from falling off the bed. It wasn't very hard to restrain her, but it was much harder that I ever imagined from Fluttershy! I held her hooves down, as she kept spurting out loud and to me, scary phrases. I tried shaking her to wake her up.

"Please don't hurt me! I'm sorry!"

"Fluttershy...wake up!" I tried. Usually, even the slightest sound would set her away scared, but she was dealing with something bigger...

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

"Fluttershy! Fluttershy!"

"Rainbow HELP!" That's when she sprung up, panting, shaking, as if coming from some forsaken dungeon.

"Rainbow...R-Rainbow..." She didn't realize that I was right there. She was still lost in the dream.

"Fluttershy, it's okay. I'm right here see? You don't need to worry...it was just a dream." She stared at me for countless minutes, until she finally crumbled into my arms, crying hysterically. She tried telling me of her dream through her many tears.

"Rainbow, it was terrible! I-I was r-running through the halls and the bullies were c-chasing me threatening to beat me up a-and I ran and ran but I got cornered a-and I thought they were going to hurt me and I tried to fly but my wings wouldn't open and I was stuck and they were going to beat me and they were menacing they threatened me and I called your name for h-help but you weren't there to save me and I-I was so scared they were g-gonna hurt me and I-I--" She didn't speak after. She continued crying.

I made most of that story out. Ouch. What could I do right now? I don't think anything was going to heal her right now. That nightmare sounded awful. I hugged her tightly.

"Flutters, it's okay. I'm right here...you don't need worry..."

"You weren't there...you weren't there to save me...w-why..." She went back into my fur. I sighed.

"It was a dream Flutters. You know I would be there for you if you were in that situation." I said.

She tried to gather herself, not to much avail. She was still really shaken and shattered.

"Y-Your right...I...I-I'm sorry...j-just that...dream was...s-so scary...it seemed so...r-r-real..." She lay her head on my chest, crying again. I stroked her soft pink mane, in an attempt to calm her down. She was still shaking violently and seemed like she wouldn't stop. This whole situation reminded me of a song I heard a couple days ago...gosh, now that I remember it, it pretty much put Fluttershy's situation into a perspective...

She, cries when she's alone...
For all life's little knocks
Everything is supposed to make us tougher,

"Sh...it's okay Fluttershy...it was a dream, it wasn't real. Try to not let it get to you too much..."

"O-Okay Rainbow..." She sniffed. "I-I'll try..." She closed her eyes for a minute, sighing. I continued on her hair. I couldn't stand watching her shake like that...

Thinking, it doesn't really show...
But I know how she hurts
And I can't bear to see her suffer,

"Fluttershy, please stop shaking...it's...it's really saddening..." I felt some tears well up in my own eyes. I really wanted to cry with her this time. Screw the too cool for crying BS.

"I'm s-sorry Rainbow...b-but I can't...I can't..." She whimpered. It sounded so pitiful. I held her closer.

I'll be there, when the world
Is coming down upon her,
When she's scared, I'll be there
Fighting in her corner,

I let a tear fall on her nose, and she felt it. She looked at me a little surprised. I closed my eyes to prevent any others, but they were burning in my eyes now.

"Okay, fine! Say what you want! I don't care!" I had an image that I was in the halls of the school, and everyone was looking at the cool and awesome Rainbow Dash cry. It felt slightly humiliating.

Fluttershy grabbed my hoof, her head still on my chest. She could hear my soft heartbeat. It must have been soothing...I looked down at my hoof, then back up to her.

"Why would I say anything like that? It's...a beautiful thing to cry..." She whipped away her stray tears.

I'll be there, when the walls
Are closing to surround her,
In the air, as she falls
With my arms around her

I stared at those deep blue eyes again. I loved them so much...

"R-Really? It is?" I asked.

"Yes, yes it is...I may not exactly like to cry at sometimes..." She paused and sighed. "But, when it happens, I think it's...a wonderful thing."

She could tell something was bothering me with this whole, crying thing. It's almost like she read my mind...

"You shouldn't feel ashamed to cry Rainbow Dash..." A small blush formed across her face. "I...actually think...you look beautiful when you cry...Rainbow..." She almost turned her head in embarrassment.

That touched my heart like nothing had ever before. It was the sweetest and kindest thing that anypony has ever said to me...I let some tears fall.

Oh great! I thought. I'm getting all soft again! I couldn't help it though. For her, there was an exception.

"Y-You really think s-so?" I asked, whipping away some tears.

She nodded. "I know so Rainbow." She said with the softest smile.

I hugged her very tightly. I couldn't help it. I had never seen another pony in the wide world of Equestria that had warmed my heart so much. I don't think I'll ever find a pony that can have an impact like Fluttershy...

"Thanks Fluttershy...your...your the best friend anypony could ask for..." I said with all the truth of my soul, sobbing lightly.

She took my embrace. "Your very welcome Rianbow Dash...and I can say the same for you."

That soft voice almost makes my heart explode every time...it is the softest and most beautiful little voice you will ever hear...She sighed and laid her head back down on my chest. I just realized that it was like, 2:00 in the morning. We needed to get some sleep.

"Fluttershy, let's get some rest. yawn...I'm really tired." I said.

"Yeah...me too..." She closed her eyes and sighed on my fur. I smiled.

"I'm gonna sleep with you tonight...I...I don't want to leave you alone right now..." Gah, the mushy stuff!

"Of course Rainbow. I don't mind...I would actually, prefer you here than away..." She whispered to herself.

I flipped the cloud covers over us. "Me too." I said with a smile and a wink. She giggled. That was the first time I heard her laugh in a long time.

"Goodnight Fluttershy...no more bad dreams okay?"

"Of course...I shouldn't have any...thanks too you. Goodnight Rainbow..." She fell asleep almost instantly.

I smiled. I knew right then and there the answer to the question I had in my mind all night...

Yes. I do.

I wrapped my hooves around her and snuggled her close to me, and soon the warmth of our bodies and my overall tiredness overtook me, and I fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Fluttershy has a bad nightmare, and Rainbow tried to calm her down...and in the process, she realizes the answer to the question she had in her mind.