• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 1,633 Views, 14 Comments

The Shy One - TheBluWaffle



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash go through some tough times as young fillies in flight school.

  • ...
3
 14
 1,633

Chapter 13- She Needs Me

Chapter 13-She Needs Me
--------
I awoke wearily, not knowing were I was, or what had happened. I was moving on something, through a dimly lit hallway, and there were ponies dressed in white coats and masks all around me, saying many words that I couldn't hear. I looked around slowly, trying to get a view of what was happening, and I saw Fluttershy, so still, so pale. I wanted to reach out and touch her hoof, which was lying limply at her side. I couldn't reach her. She was moving with me, but she was too far away.

"Fluttershy..." I whispered while reaching. These people didn't even notice that I was doing so, they were too busy with there own things. I reached further, but I was already growing tired.

"Fluttershy...Flutter...F...Flutter...shy..."

--------

When I awoke, I was in a small hospital room, on the small hospital bed. I blinked multiple times, trying to get my sight back. What had happened, and more importantly, what was that vision in my head all about? I looked around. There was no major equipment in my room, and I was hooked up to any machines...thank Celestia. Why was I here though? I wasn't the one that had gotten hurt.

Fluttershy was the one that got hurt, she should be the one they take care--

It hit me like a speeding bullet. Fluttershy! I have to find her! I threw the cover off and I jumped to the floor, but I immediately groaned and fell. My back left leg hurt like hell, and I didn't know why. I tried to pick myself up, but it occurred to me that I couldn't do that either. It's like all my energy had been pulled out of my body. Even if I tried to stand, I wouldn't be able too. I lay there on the stone cold floor for many minutes, thinking about Fluttershy...

I'm so worried...I hope she's okay. Why did that kid have to be going so dang fast? This shoudl've been easily avoided...'sigh', I guess it's a little ironic that right after this stuff stops happening, she ends up in the hospital. I just hope that hit didn't do much damage to her--

"What are you doing on the ground?" Someone asked.

"Huh?" I drifted out of my thoughts. "Who's there?" I asked.

He helped me up. It was one of the doctors. At first sight, I wouldn't have expected him to be a doctor. The white cloak gave it away. He seemed really young, like, 19 or 20. I stared at him.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Uh...yeah, I'm fine. Agh, what happened?"

"You crashed through the doors carrying some other pony in your hooves. You both didn't look so well." He stopped. "She was defiantly worse than you, in fact, you didn't really seem to have anything wrong with you until we ran some tests and, well, you suffered a mild injury."

"Injury? But I was fine! I was just tired!"

He led me back over to the bed. "Yes but, when we ran the tests, we seemed to have discovered something with your leg. You pulled a muscle in it no doubt, that's why your here."

"But, I wasn't even hurt before I crashed through the doors, I was just tired!" A pulled muscle? How did that happen? I barley even use my legs!

"Our only theory is that you pulled something when you crashed." He paused. "You did have quite a rough landing, by the way."

I put my head in my hooves. "Ah, why this? Why now?! Everything was working so well...then, this happens." I sighed.

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Yes well, I realized that I never properly introduced myself back there, and you gave me quite a weird look when you saw me. Didn't expect a stallion this young working in the field did you?" He chuckled. "Anyway, I'm Doctor Hooves, a specialist in working with little filly's like yourself. I was, pretty much the only one they could find that had enough experience to work with two Peggasi fillies. To be quite honest, we don't get many Peggasi in the Ponyville Hospital." He walked towards the counter at the back of the room. "When I saw you crash in with that other Pegasus, no one knew what had happened, but I took immediate action. I knew I was going to be the one to look over you both. I must say, I'm glad you got here as soon as you did. The other one didn't look so good..." He poured himself a cup of water.

"Other one...oh no...Is she okay?" I nearly rose out of my seat, but my energy was still gone.

"Yes, um...Fluttershy, is it?" He asked. I nodded. "She was in pretty bad shape when you both arrived. We took you both in at the same time, but we mostly focused on her, because we feared with all the blood coming out of her nose that, it might have been broken. Thankfully though, it was not...but we did discover something else, something much worse than a broken nose..." He took a drink.

"What? What happened to her? Please, tell me!"

He sighed. "From the tests that we received, well, Fluttershy suffered...a concussion, and not just a mild one."

I gasped. "Oh no...is a concussion a...b-bad thing?" I asked. I really had no clue what a concussion was, but it didn't sound good.

"Well, a concussion occurs when, something fast, or heavy causes a pony to be knocked out almost instantly, or in some cases, instantly. It's a devastating blow to the head that causes brain trauma, such as dizziness, trouble thinking, or memory problems, just to name a few. Sometimes, a concussion can be very serious, because it could cause, permanent brain damage. I've seen a few ponies that have suffered concussions like that...not pretty."

This nearly blew my heart out of my chest. "Oh no...is...is she okay? Please tell me she's okay doctor..." I was almost in tears.

"The concussion she suffered was pretty sever. She never woke up, and usually, mild concussions only cause temporary unconsciousness, but when she didn't wake up after the tests, we knew it was more serious--"

"Just tell me if she's okay! Please!" I yelled, tears in my eyes. I didn't want to hear his explanation, I just wanted to hear the actual important thing.

He stopped for a moment, a little taken aback by my sudden yelling. "Well, we were worried that it would be something more serious, but thankfully, her concussion was not as bad as the one I just described." I made a sigh of relief. "But, just note that it isn't a mild one either. It's in the middle of both, so she may not remember anything that happened, just warning you."

I sniffed. That is not what I wanted to hear but...I was just glad that the concussion hadn't done serious damage to her brain. It gave me that sense of relief, but, at the same time, I needed to be positively sure that she was fine. I wasn't convinced.

"Now, about that leg of yours, did you have any trouble with--"

"I need to see her..." I tried to climb out of my bed, to no avail. I wouldn't stop. I tried again...

"Whoa whoa Rainbow Dash, where do you think your going?" He asked, trying to push me back down.

"I need to make sure she's okay..."

"I assure you, she's fine. She just needs some rest."

"No, I need to see her...please..."

"I'm not allowed to let anyone in her room right now, not until tomorrow. You can see her then--"

"No! I need to see her now! Please!" I begged, trying to push myself up. I didn't care if I had to crawl all the way to her room, I would do anything to be with her right now.

He got in my face, whispering. "I would let you see her right now, but due to the circumstances and the nature of her injury, no one is allowed into her room until tomorrow, during visiting hours. I'm sorry--"

"I don't want your sorry's! I just want to be with her! She needs me!"

"I'm sorry! There's nothing I can do right now."

"I'm her best friend! I need to be with her!" I tried and tried.

"I understand that Rainbow Dash, but I'm under oath to follow my orders--"

"You don't understand!" I paused, sinking back down into my bed. "You don't understand...the things she's gone through...these last couple of months..." I started to cry again. "You don't understand...the hell that she has been through...you don't...you didn't see it, but I did...I saw it all...I saw when she was picked on...I saw when she cried...I saw when she was nearly choked and hit by a bully..." I sniffed. "I was there...when s-she needed me most...I promised h-her that I would a-always be there in her darkest hours..." I almost broke down and bawled right there. "I-I need to k-keep that promise...I n-need too...she's alone i-in a dark room...with no one t-to help her...she...s-she cries when she's alone..." I recited the lyric. "She hates being alone...s-she hates it...I hate it...and I can't stand to sit h-here...and not be there with her..." I paused. "D-Do you understand? Are y-you listening? She needs me! I need h-her! She's alone, and s-she needs someone to care f-for her...she needs me...her b-best friend, to care for her..." I started sobbing even more, my words becoming a stutter by the tears. "S-she feels s-s-safe with me...s-she feels safe w-with her Rainbow D-Dash...she feels s-safe...s-safe..." I couldn't hold it back. I started crying and crying, and I couldn't stop. All my emotions of fear, sadness, hate, worry, had all washed over me in that moment, and it was too overwhelming. I hoped he listened to anything I said.

He was speechless. He stared at me contently for many moments, watching me cry my emotions out, thinking about his own thoughts. It seemed to have pained him a little bit after listening to my story. He thought for a moment more...

"W-Well?" I wiped some tears away, though still crying. "Are you just g-going to stand there, or let m-me see the person I care a-about?" I asked, half sad, half angry.

He was about to speak, but instead, he sighed.

"I see that you care about her Rainbow Dash, more than any pony I could have possibly imagined." He looked down. "And...I understand. I went through the same thing when I was your age. My best friend, was always picked on, and it eventually got to that point of, change...or death." My heart stopped when he said that. He sighed again. "And...it's against my own good will to deny a friendship. I can see you two really care for each other. I can sense the strong relationship between you both share...I can't deny that. I can't. It wouldn't be...me if I did that. I would seem like a heartless brute..." He nodded. "Okay...I'll let you see her." He made his final decision.

I smiled, tears still fresh in my eyes. I wanted to hug him tightly right there.

"Thank you...t-thank you...you...you don't realize how m-much this is going to change her life...w-with me just being there...trust me..."

"I get it. Come on, hop on my back, if you can. Your probably still not ready to be moving around on your own yet..."

I climbed on to his back, a little awkwardly, so not to hurt my bad leg. I wrapped my good hooves around him, so I wouldn't fall.

"Got it? Alright. Let's go Rainbow Dash..." He walked out the door. I looked down and smiled at him again. He was my hero right now...in a time when I needed it most. I'm glad he understood her pain, and mine. I'm glad he wasn't heartless like the rest of them.To me, his heart was pure gold.