• Published 22nd Apr 2012
  • 4,532 Views, 161 Comments

A Rising Moon - Metal Squirrel Chaos



Collection of Short Stories about Luna and her return to Equestria.

  • ...
4
 161
 4,532

Back In The Royal Saddle

Back In The Royal Saddle

By Metal Squirrel Chaos

"How dare ye!" Princess Luna called out. Her voice was charged with her power, shaking Canterlot Castle's very foundation.

Princess Celestia, Sylph of the Sun, stood in powerful emotional turmoil.

"Thou think that ye are worthy to stand before us?"

Princess Celestia's entire body began to tremble, looking upward at Luna's position on the golden throne.

"Do ye think yourself worthy to kiss our hoof in respect?!"

The Solar Alicorn was nearly in tears by now as she watched her sister speak.

"Thou each shall know the true majesty of the PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT!"

The eldest sister could simply not take it anymore. She could not stand idly by an watch this happen. It was just too much to bear.

"Luna," the Sun Mover spoke up, managing to keep her voice together with eons of practice. "Sorry to interrupt, but may I be excused for a moment?"

Luna blinked and turned her head away from the six flabbergasted pegasus guards that stood in font of her to look straight at her sibling. "Of course, dear sister, take any amount of time thy need," the younger alicorn said with a wave of her hoof.

Princess Celestia gave a nod before turning to the door behind her. She walked rather quickly, something which the guards noted but Luna seem to be oblivious about. The Moon Monarch instead turned her attention back to her audience an began to speak again. "As we were saying, we are not certain that any of ye six have even the slightest-"

Celestia shut the door behind her with a soft gesture of her magic. She stood in the empty hallway linking the throne room to the sister's own personal tower, where their separate quarters were. Making sure the door was secured, she finally let out her emotions in the form of a loud, uncontrollable laugh.

It was not her sister she found funny; in all honestly she was still a bit sorry for her sister's mannerisms being so...outdated. No, that was not the real point of hilarity. Her merriment came instead from the expressions of the royal guards she, personally, had picked out specifically for Luna's judgement. Their expressions were the most priceless thing Celestia had seen since the invention of the refrigerator.

It had been nearly two weeks since Nightmare Moon was defeated and banished, leaving only a weakened Princess Luna in her wake. The first week in Canterlot, Celestia had turned control of the entire kingdom over to some of her most trusted and worthy advisers, all so that she could spend time with her sister. The two had talked for hours, even days on end, both about events that had happened to the current state of Equestria, and toward their own feelings. Many tears were shed, apologies were spout, and forgiveness abound between the two sibling goddesses.

By the beginning of the second week, Celestia decided to return to her duties. Luna still had not recovered being cleansed, her magic was barely that of an average unicorn, let alone her normal levels, and still did not know enough about the current affairs to simply return to her old responsibilities. No, to put Luna back into Equestria's hierarchy she needed to be reintroduced slowly.

Still, the two had kept in touch, meeting each other whenever free time would allow it. Celestia had even completely blown off a meeting with the Blood clan, one relative to her on her mother's side, in order to tell Luna of her rather amusing story about why jelly should never be sold in jars big enough to swim in. The two had laughed long into the night from that one. The ire and political backlash that hit her the next day was well worth it.

But for those two weeks, Luna had hid herself from the eyes of her subjects. She stayed in her room, only answering the door if Celestia herself knocked. When a maid or other pony who worked in the castle came to knock on her door, she would speak quietly through the barley open door. Words throughout the castle had spread that Princess Luna was a quiet, meek little creature at heart. Celestia had heard whispers throughout the nobility that Luna would be easily swayed, manipulated, and was little more than a tool for them to use, even against her own sister.

So it was understandable that said illusion had broken down once Luna had enough power to employ the Royal Canterlot Voice. Celestia had to admit, she had almost forgot that Volume Spell existed.

Which Luna was now using, for the first time, on those poor six Royal Guards.

It was Celestia's idea to have Luna's first duty upon returning to her throne to pick out her own private Guard. The two who were picked (if any still wanted the position, Celestia noted) would serve both as Luna's personal assistance and traveling companions, but also would be promoted to the rank of Captain immediately.

There had been many volunteers when Celestia announced it. She and Shining Armor had to do great amounts of fat-cutting to narrow it down to those six.

Finally, with her thoughts gathered, Princess Celestia took a deep breath and stepped back inside.

"-incompetent foals we have ever met! A thousand years, and the standards of the Guard has fallen more than we could ever imagine. How did thou even- Oh, welcome back dear sister Celestia." Luna smiled brightly as her sister entered the room.

Before the Matriarch of the Night was Battle Axe, one of the strongest hot shot youngsters Celestia had known in years. His skills in hoof to hoof were extraordinary. He always carried himself tall and imposing, as if he belonged everywhere he went and no one could say no to him.

He was currently quivering and shaking at the foot of the throne not unlike a young foal who had been caught with his hoof in the cookie jar.

Celestia tried very, very hard not to laugh again. Her eyes had other ideas, as a single tear escaped her efforts and dripped silently to the floor.

This was her sister. Her dear Luna. She was no easily manipulated or meek creature. She was all that was terrible and beautiful about the night. She was uncontrollable, and full of wind and bluster. Despite still not being as big or as imposing as she should be, she was able, through pure will and vigor, to bring some of the strongest stallions in the kingdom to their knees.

Oh how the Princess of the Day wanted to see the looks on the nobles’ faces when they found out. She wanted it so bad.

"Please Luna," the Alicorn of Light nodded, "continue as you were."

Battle Axe, who had been pleading with his eyes since Celestia had re-entered the room, gave a noticeable whimper.

"Now, as we were saying, thou has shown nothing but blind ambition and arrogance. Thou are unfit for our services and will be gone, at once! GO!" Luna punctuated her words with a powerful gust of wind that swung open the door behind Celestia.

Battle Axe did not verbally respond. Instead, he simply ran past the remaining Guard, sobbing deeply as he burst through the front entrance.

Celestia knew she should not laugh at the misfortunes of her subjects, but it was just so funny.

"Now then," the Midnight Mare turned to the remaining four guards. Celestia blinked. She had already eliminated two of her options. Hopefully she would at least find one amongst them worthy of her, "who amongst you would stand before our judgement next?"

Celestia looked across their faces. Most were cowering. Two were not. One of them, an angry glare on his face, stepped forward.

"I will," the Royal Guardsman proclaimed. His eyes were fierce as he gazed upward at the newly seated princess. "And let me just say this, Princess, with all due respect."

Luna looked more bored than anything, but waved her hoof. "Go on."

"You have done nothing but belittle and disgrace us since we have arrived. Your words drip with poison at us, even though many of us have come here just to serve your whims."

All ears and eyes in the room were suddenly on him. To speak to a Princess like this was almost unheard of, and everyone seemed taken aback, even the two godlike alicorns currently residing.

"We have done nothing to deserve this treatment," he continued. "I know Battle Axe. Yes, he's ambitious, and yes, he is an airhead braggart. But the way you treated him was unwarranted. He's still a loyal and faithful guardsman, and a fine soldier. My point, your majesty, is that you may be our ruler, and you may be older and more powerful than us, but that does not give you the right to treat us like dirt under your hooves!"

His words were filled with emotion and power. Celestia was taken aback by one of her guards being so blunt and serious. Luna seemed shocked and appalled. The other pegasi in the room seemed afraid of being near him, less they get hit in the incoming retribution.

All save one. The guard right behind him had held a calm and serene, almost indifferent face since Celestia had left the first time. He was either deeply concentrating on something, or was just fearless. Either way, he stepped forward next.

"I agree, ma'am."

Princess Luna turned her gaze to the new guard as well, her eyes glaring holes through both of them. "Do ye now? Do ye believe that we have been...unjust?" she asked with a quiet pause. That pause was more threatening than the Royal Canterlot Voice could ever be.

He simply nodded. "Yes ma’am."

Luna seem to finally recover, and sat back on her throne. "What are your names? What names do the ponies who dare to speak to their monarch in such a fashion hold?"

The two ponies nodded to one another, as if knowing what the other was thinking. The louder one spoke first. "I am Morningstar."

"Equinox, ma'am," the other murmured.

Luna's face scrunched up, and her eyes were like daggers ready to pierce the two guards’ chests. "WE HAVE NOT BEEN SO INSULTED IN CENTURIES!" Her words were punctuated with a bolt of lightning far away. The resulting thunder rumbled the entire castle. "Ye two dare? Dare to say such scandalous, treacherous, even BLASPHEMOUS things about us, your own Princess?"

The remaining pegasi suddenly made a run for the door, pushing past Celestia and into the hallway full tilt. The two offenders held their ground, Morningstar braced for the coming impact, while Equinox still seemed calm, but closing his eyes shut.

The Maiden of Shadows rose up from her throne, wings beating hard as she gained height, the air in the moonlight suddenly turning to a fierce wind. Her eyes were a glowing white, as if the moon itself was staring down at the two guardsman, which was not entirely inaccurate.

Both pegasi guards prepared for their retribution.

"HUZZAH!"

As suddenly as it began, the wind died down. Luna floated to her seat again, a smile now across her face.

"What?"

"Huh?"

Celestia just chuckled to herself. "It took far less time than it use to, dear sister."

"Indeed, Celestia," Luna chuckled, before turning back to the pegasi. "We are most pleased with our new guardsman."

"What?" Morningstar spat again, his face now regaining it's ability to show confusion.

"Is it not obvious?" asked the younger princess. "We were simply testing you. We were searching for ponies with your attitude, your vigor, and your strength of character. To serve the Princess of the Night is far different than to serve She of the Day. You will face dangers that can not simply be talked down to, nor debated with. They must be subjugated with will and force. So we insulted and berated you all to better find the ones amongst you with the traits we so desire."

"I will say, sister," Celestia interrupted, "that you did come on quite a bit strongly. Their complaint was not unfounded. You may have taken the insults too far."

The young Princess turned to her older sibling with shock etched on her dark blue face. "What for ever do thou mean, Celestia? The insults we spat at these ponies were far less terrible than what we have said to others in the past. They were amongst our more light hearted jests."

Both the pegasi looked dumbfounded to hear that. Even Equinox's eyes widened considerably.

"Remember, Luna, that these are different times." Celestia beamed with all the praise of a proud mother. "In these days of harmony, the need for such words is less and less."

"Hmph, if thou says so, dear sister. However," she turned back to the two guardians, who had finally snapped out of their stupor and had resumed the stock expression most guards wore, "ye have still proven yourself worthy of serving us as our personal guards. Will thou two accept thy rightful place at our side?"

Both guards turned to one another, and then turned around, facing away from the alicorn. They spoke in whisper for several minutes, before nodding and turning back. Morningstar spoke for both of them. "We will, your majesty. We are honored to serve you," they both bowed respectfully.

"Please though," Equinox chimed, "less insults?"

The alicorn on the throne smiled and gave a dismissive wave. "We shall take your complaints into consideration. For now, however," she turned to her older sibling. "We wish to feel my night air as I did long ago. Sister, if thou could please summon my chariot."

Celestia gave her younger sister the motherly smile she had become well known for. She knew that the lightning storm and constant use of the Royal Canterlot Voice had drained all of Luna's magical reserves. She'd be magically weak as a kitten till she got some rest. She should stay in the castle, with her new guards watching over her untill tomorrow night, where she would be even stronger than when the sun set this evening.

She also knew that would never happen.

"As you wish, Luna. I shall summon it for you post haste." Since I know you can't do it yourself, she mentally added.

Turning from her sister, Celestia's light began to shine from the tip of her horn. In an instant, the Night Chariot appeared before the four remaining ponies. Celestia chuckled as she looked it over again. Luna truly had the strangest taste in decor.

Spikes. She really liked spikes.

"We fly!" she shouted, before leaping from her seat on the throne, and fluttered her way to the more mobile chair. "Come, Guards. Tonight we shall soar over Equestria, and in the moonlight we shall paint the sky with our image to let all our subjects know that their Princess of the Night has returned!"

"She's really into this," Morningstar whispered to his partner, who simply jabbed him in the shoulder.

"Oh, which reminds me," Luna suddenly perked up, "I will have to redo the magic on your armor to reflect my personal tastes. I trust you two will find it quite flattering." The Moon Maiden had a rather wicked look on her face.

Both guards were suddenly struck with a combination of nervousness and anticipation.

"But for now, come, the night shall not last forever you know."

Both nodded. "As you wish, Your Majesty," they spoke proudly, before hooking their respected harnesses around their neck and shoulders.

As the three soared out the window, and into the night, Celestia, Sun Goddess, shed a single tear.

"Welcome back, Luna."