• Published 18th Oct 2014
  • 4,378 Views, 175 Comments

A Guarding Light - LakieLegion



Adventure, its all I ever wanted. Ironically, once I landed in Equestria after heading to a con and getting given something from this shifty RE4 merchant guy, all I have really wanted, is for the tide of baddies to stop. atleast for a while...

  • ...
20
 175
 4,378

Chapter 4.5.2, The Bookening

Travelling undetected through the Void was fun. I was able to walk through Ponyville almost like a ghost, weaving in and out of the sparse street traffic, listening into various conversations throughout town.

It didn’t take too long to arrive at Twilight’s castle like Ghost told me she had asked after I was done with my breakdown. I shook my head.

Gotta stay calm. Keep a clear mind. I stated to myself, slowing my heart rate into normal parameters, gotta make sure I don’t devolve into another breakdown while Void Stepping in the middle of town.

My intangible form went through the front door of Twilight’s castle(which was pretty gaudy, seeing as it was made completely out of various shades of crystal). It was obvious (to me) that the castle was made by the Elements of Harmony. Gaudy crystal structures was one of Harmony’s main gimmicks.

Quickly fading through the many mostly empty rooms I came across Twilight rather fast, in the middle of a rather *ahem* scandalous situation(at least, in the minds of nobles) in one of the corners of a rather expansive personal library.

Twilight was quite snugly nestled in the middle of a book fort(a structure very similar to the usual pillow fort or blanket fort, except made of books) reading a rather well loved tome.

Smirking, I grabbed some ‘building blocks’(read; books) after leaving the Void and swiftly formed a rather large book castle across the room from Twilight’s own fort. Using my Void Magick I formed some small soldiers looking like books out of pure Void, giving them a semblance of life in order to play their part in my little ‘play’.

Once my little ‘army’ of miniature book men was ready, I sent an ‘envoy’ across the room to talk to Twilight and deliver my ‘demands’.

“Announcing, Sir Booksworth, Duke of Bookington, Envoy of the great Book Empire” stated one of the great Duke’s entourage as they arrived at Twilight’s side of the room. Slightly startled, the bookish alicorn looked up from her book and caught sight of the Booklings.

“Wh-what!?” she exclaimed, almost knocking her fort over in the process as she backed up slightly.

“Lady Twilight Sparkle of Pretty Pink Ponyland, I am Sir Booksworth, the Duke of Bookington, and I am here to deliver the demands of Emperor Guardian of the great Book Empire. My Lord demands full surrender and for you to hoof over any and all books in your possession.” the Duke stated, reading from a tiny scroll and pointing over at me upon my mention.

Twilight looked from the Duke to me in bewilderment.

“What…” She deadpanned as I gave her a vigorous wave.

“If you do not surrender within thirty seconds of the end of this message, then we will be forced to assault your keep and beat a surrender out of you” Booksworth stated, rolling the scroll back up. Twilight glanced at me before smirking. Lavender light poured from her horn as she used a spell in order to conjure her own forces to combat mine and reorganize her small, cozy fort into a large set of battlements and a castle.

“If you want my books Guardian, then you’re going to have to fight me for them. And beware, the Princess herself tutored me in Book War tactics” She called out, a large grin on her face.

“Who do you think wrote the book on book wars? Surely not Sunbutt, she could never best me and her Sister, no matter whom she enlisted as her ally” I called back as a tiny bugle was blown, signalling the advance for my troops.

~half an hour later~

The war was long and fierce, many forward command posts were created and destroyed, and many books were shot at both our walls using Bookapults.

Eventually, others turned up and joined in our battle.

Spike the Dragon, Twilight’s Son/Little Brother/Number One Assistant quickly turned the mostly even tides in the favor of Twilight when he joined in, the two forming dual pronged assaults on my command posts and walls.

However, the arrival of Rainbow Dash and her Bookasus Cavalry on my side quickly drove the Alicorn’s forces back to their own gates.

Unfortunately, our fun was cut short as the rest of Twilight’s friends showed up(just as RD and I were making what we hoped would be the final assault on Twilight’s castle).

“What in the name of Celestia are you four doing!?” exclaimed a surprised Rarity as she walked into the room, Applejack, Fluttershy and Pinkie right behind her.

“Book Wars” the four of us said, looking down like foals with their hooves caught in the cookie jar.

Author's Note:

Sorry for another short chapter, but i'm slowly making my way back into the groove (plus the end of this chapter seemed like the best ending point)

The whole 'Book Wars' think was something random that just popped into my head, and I couldn't stop writing once I started :rainbowlaugh: