• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 435 Views, 45 Comments

Never Alone - New Spark



Cottoncandy Soldier is a stallion who has given up on love. Whirlwind is a filly who has just found it. Equestria is a land overtaken by the subtle evil of Apathy. The elements of harmony are slumbering, waiting for new bearers.

  • ...
3
 45
 435

We are Free in our Love

-------------------------------------Whirlwind’s POV---------------------------------

I have no more hope. That’s what Cottoncandy’s text had read. She needed to get over there. He needed her. Having finished most of her homework right after school, there was nothing holding her back from waiting at the door to Cottoncandy’s building when he got home.

The rain was still pounding at every solid surface, although a bit more lightly than it did before, so Whirlwind was sporting a pink umbrella that didn’t really help anything. But that was okay, a few drops of rain wouldn’t kill her. It was a necessary sacrifice. She had to see Cottoncandy Soldier.

Cottoncandy Soldier, gosh, she loved that name. She loved speaking it, writing it, thinking it, just rolling it around her tongue and brain. It was sweet and soft, yet perseverance and strong, just like the pony himself. The pony that she was going to see. How she wished she could give him the happiness he deserved. She did everything she could, but everything she could wasn’t enough. It made her feel hopeless. The pony that made her smile so hard that her cheeks started hurting didn’t deserve to cry so hard that his cheeks burned. She only hoped she could bring hope back to CS’s life.

The cracked sidewalks and overgrown grass that signified the part of town all the sad, struggling youth and outsiders lived in was all around her and it made her more contemplative. Her best friend was getting screwed over by this antipathetic society and so. So were her mom and dad, who worked themselves to the bone each day, a fact which broke her heart. So were so, so many other people. Even the people with big houses and billions of dollars and the world at their feet were empty inside to some degree. Why? Once Equestria had been a place where everyone lived their dreams and were all happy, rich and poor alike. What had happened to that world?

As she approached Cottoncandy Soldier’s building, a bright wide smile appeared on her face. She would now get to be with him. She stood outside the door, the rain not bothering her.


----------------------------------------------CS’s POV--------------------------------------------------

What’s the point in anything? Cottoncandy though as he got out of his car. It was old and slow, but good enough to serve his needs. I’m gonna die alone, anyways.

He slowly trudged through the rain, his waterproof saddle bag keeping his valuables safe. And there the building his flat was on. And there was … WHIRLWIND?! He ran to meet her, the two of them entangling each other in a passionate hug.

“Baby!” She exclaimed.
“Why are you here?” He asked excitedly.
“Because ich liebe dich.”
“Gosh you’re cute.”
“Let’s get dry.”

The two headed up the stairs to Cottoncandy’s flat, their fears not being killed but still shoved in a corner and ignored.

“Tough day at work?” Whirlwind asked.
“They’re all tough days at work. I can’t do anything right.” Cottoncandy said glumly.
“That’s not true, baby, have some patience. You’re one of the best ponies I’ve met and things will get better.”
“No they won’t.”
“Candy, just believe me.”
“Why should I?”
“Because it will help. Now let’s just dry off. And then I’ve got a fun idea.”
“Is it that?” CS asked, a mischievous smile on his lips.
“Oh heck no!” Whirlwind laughed. “ I meant that maybe we could fly up above the cloud layer where there’s sunshine and blue skies and freedom.”
“That also sounds fun,” CS said laughing.

Soon enough, they were flying at the clouds at full force, and then slamming into them, which caused the soggy fluff to clear and a torrent of water to be released on them. Then they broke through to see a never ending blue sky shining as bright as a jewel, and a glorious golden sun warming their cold skin. Up higher above them were some fluffy white clouds, and all arund them was the open air.

“Gosh, I’ve forgotten how good sunshine is!” Whirlwind exclaimed.
“It’s been raining for like a month and a half, isn’t that weird?” CS asked in a jovial manner.
“Totally! I mean, I can’t even figure out why this shit’s happening. It’s definitely not normal.”
“Totally. Race you to that cloud over there!”

The two dashed off, Whirlwind falling slightly behind. The flight was exhausting, but boy was it exhilarating. This is why Soldier loved being a pegasus. The freedom of flight, the speed, the motions, the feeling of the wind rushing through you feathers as you defy gravity, that was truly sensational. Re rushed and swooped and dived, his slightly under-exercised wings burning but his heart happy. As he reached the white cloud that was their finishing line, he dove down and landed on his back, the cloud springing inwards like a trampoline while soaking up the thin layer of water over his body before returning to it’s original shape. A bit later, Whirlwind joined him, her kind-of petite body totally exhausted.
“I hate flying and running,” she said, panting, “but I loved this flight. Sure, it hurts, but it’s pure freedom. I only wish the real world could be like this. But we’re in our sanctuary now so it doesn’t matter.”
“Reality sucks.”
“Yeah. But we’re in heaven right now.”
"But there are so many assholes down there. I wish I could just escape from them."
"But you can't, where would you go? Resisting would only get you fucked over. I guess, the only thing we can do now it deal with it."
"I hate dealing with it."
"So do I, but we have to"
“Rested up yet?”
“Heck no, are you?”
“No.”

And the two of them lay there, talking and talking and talking. Soon enough they were ready to fly again, though this time not as fast though plenty speedy. They swooped and dipped and looped through the neverending blue. Talking, about everything and nothing. Singing sometimes. Telling jokes, laughing, dancing on clouds, crying sometimes, dreaming.

“You know what I thought yesterday? That with the state of the world right now, maybe it would just be great if all the good ponies hijacked a rocket and restarted society on Aeres,” Whirlwind said.
“If only we could,” Cottoncandy replied, “I often have dreams where I get transported into Od Equestria, where I can live the life I want to and am accepted.” Soldier felt the creep of misery coming back to him.
“Speaking of old Equestria, I had a weird dream the night we slept at your parents.’ Princess Celestia was telling me that we had to save the world from the windigos or something. Then she gave me a pretty rock.”
“I had the exact same dream!” CS replied excitedly, “And I got the stone in real life, too. It was just in my hands when I woke up.”
“What? That means that I must’ve gotten a rock in real life, too . I must have left it on the bed or something. Where did you put yours?”
“At my parents’ house. We’ll need to go find yours as soon as possible.”
“Do you think we’ll save Equestria?” Whirlwind asked excitedly.
“We might.” And for the first time in a long time, Cottoncandy Soldier was hopeful.

They watched the sunset from on top of those clouds, and when it was time to go, CS drove Whirlwind to her house. \he always loved helping that filly out.

“You hold you head up high, Soldier, no matter how hard it is.” That’s what Whirlwind had said to him as they parted. But gosh, it was easier said than done, and they both knew that.

Author's Note:

Yeah, thee words in there are in another language. That has nothing to do with the story but it does have a secret meaning. Please don't be pissed off. Also, the title of this chapter is lyrics by Nelly Furtado (the song is called Try).