• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 435 Views, 45 Comments

Never Alone - New Spark



Cottoncandy Soldier is a stallion who has given up on love. Whirlwind is a filly who has just found it. Equestria is a land overtaken by the subtle evil of Apathy. The elements of harmony are slumbering, waiting for new bearers.

  • ...
3
 45
 435

Will You Lay With Me and just Forget the World?

Author's Note:

Yeah, I know it's long. Whatever.

Happy Birthday! :heart:

-------------------------------------Whirlwind’s POV--------------------------------------
The weather didn’t get better. It’s been this way for months. There’s nothing any of us can do about it. Life’s like that. Fucked. And no one can do anything about it. There were beautiful words in the vocabulary that people claim to love, such as “freedom” and “equality,” but none of those words got implemented in real life. At least, not in present-day Equestria.

But what she hated most about the weather was that she couldn’t go outside. Well, that was about to change. She and CS, they’d gotten tired of waiting to do something fun together, and Whirlwind said had eventually decided that they had to just go in the rain.

She was waiting outside the door to her house in her raincoat, looking outside the window, waiting for Cottoncandy's car to arrive. Eventually the dented old car, which was the best car in the world to her, pulled up in front of her house, displacing a minimal amount of water even though the road was near-flooded. She smiled and ran outside.

Sliding in the homey vehicle, she smiled at the colt that occupied the driver’s seat. He smiled back.

“This is crazy,” Cottoncandy Soldier laughed. That sweet pony sure knew how to laugh, no matter what life threw at him. That was why he was a soldier. (Figuratively, of course. Whirly was glad he would never be going to real war.)
“Yeah, bro, but I’m pretty much very crazy, too.” She laughed back. Their two faces were smiling, happy, the car was a sweet tint of cold and felt like comfort, and the rain pounded in time to their heartbeats. She wished she could make this moment last forever.

“So where are we going?” CS asked.
“How about the park beside the river?” Whirlwind asked.
“The most cold and muddy place possible?”
“Well, I always loved parks, and I think it’s ll be an adventure.”
“Um… I don’t really know about that,” Cottoncandy said apprehensively.
“Oh, okay then, we can go to the mall if you want.”
“The mall? That shit’s for like, teenaged girls in the high school movies.”
“Yeah, well where do you want to go that’s both dry and interesting?”
“I don’t know, like, the movies or something?”
“Then it’ll be a date.”
“LOL no, like, just as friends. But I kinda want it it be a date, though. I like you and you’re the only one that likes me.” Sweet soldier.
“I kind of want it to be a date, too. Actually, there’s a part of me that burningly wants it to be a date, and wants us to get married and live happily ever after. But my mind knows that it won’t work out, happily ever after won’t work out, not in this case.”
“My mind knows that too.” The air in the car had mysteriously shifted. Instead of being light and breathable, it had suddenly gotten heavy and cold.
“I shouldn’t have said that,” Whirlwind said flatly.
“It’s okay, I guess it needed to be said.”
Whirlwind looked for a way to change the conversation. “So, are you excited about the fact that the new Equestria Calling comes out in two months?”
“Two months, ten days,” CS said, not all that upbeat.
“Wow, you’re really hardcore. That’s good, it means you have passion.”
“It means that..””Shh.” CS was about to say something but Whilrine cut him off.
“I know what you're going to say and I know it’s not true. So get those thoughts out of your head, sweetheart.”
“How are you so sure?”
“Because I know you, and don’t you dare think that I don’t. Anyway, are we going to a movie or not?” Whirlwind’s voice was as authoritative as she could make it.
“I guess we are.”
“Then for now, let’s have a good time, mein Engel.” She reached over and put her arm around Cottoncandy’s shoulder, and the two of them drive through the suburbs of Manehatten.

“I know this really good movie called Moonrise Kingdom. But it’s a total chick flick. You wanna watch the Mockingjay? I heard that that’s a glorious thing”
“Uh, sure. I think that would be good.”

They drive, talking about everything. Whirlwind loved how Cottoncandy talked. He was frank and humorous, yet also thoughtful and insightful. He wasn’t like other ponies who hid their thoughts and feelings due to a million different fears, he just said what he meant. And he always tried his best to see the humor in everything. Not in like, the attention-craving, joking way most ponies did, but rather in a light, subtle way. He seemed to make everything lighter and more fun. And even though he had been through so much, there was an endearing innocence about him that was rare to find. Exactly how she thought a revolutionary should think. A true revolutionary, who would make the world a better place, not those power-hungry, cruel, “revolutionaries” that they showed on TV. Yeah, Soldier has a lot of anger and rage inside of him, but he would be horrified to hurt anypony and was so kind. And sad. There was sadness and confusion and frustration and hopelessness in that sweet colt. Feeling that had no right to be within one so innocent and kind. Yet the society that Equestria had corrupted into had put them in him. Put them in her, too, but to a smaller extent. If only she could rearrange the world.

They were both they type of people who were more than willing to bring Harmony back. Yet she was doubtful about whether they could. They couldn’t even get their own lives together, let alone Equestria.
“CS, I have no idea what the fuck we’re supposed to do with our elements, or how the fuck to do it.”
“Neither do I. I think we have to wait until we get all the elements, who knows how long that will take?”
“It’ll happen. Princess Celestia is wise.”
“How wise can she be if she let this shit happen to Equestria?”

‘She has to have a plan. I mean, she defeated defeated millions of monsters and led Equestria into two thousand fifty years of peace. She’s got to have acquired some skill in that time.”
“She won against everything but couldn’t win against her own people.”
“Her own people have to win against themselves. That’s what we’re here for. “
“Like we can do anything.”
“She wouldn’t have chosen us if she didn’t have faith in us.”
“LOL like I can do anything.”
“You have more revolutionary potential than anyone else I’ve met.”
The two often had disagreements like this. Whirlwind just hoped she was putting some optimism in Cottoncandy.

The rain was pouring so hard that it just slid off of the windshield like a small waterfall, looking like a transparent curtain.It barely hindered visibility, and actually made everything look surreal, as if the inside of the car was a world all on its owns and the world outside didn’t matter.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” Whirlwind sighed.
“Yes, it totally is.”
“I wish It could be exactly like this forever, that we’d never have to get out of this car.”
“Me too.”
“But I wanna see the movie as well.”
“Yeah. LOL,” CS said, smiling.

---
The journey from the car to the movie theater - which was an oldish building made of stone with a modern inside- was a really adventurous one. The two of them HAD brought umbrellas, but had idiotically put them in the trunk for some reason. After that, Whirlwind, prompted by her love for soaking in the rain (She(I) REALLY loved soaking in the rain) had convinced CS to just make a straight run for it. As they burst through the doors of the theater, soaking wet and smiling like they’d found Atlantis, they drew quite a few curious looks from the more proper, boring crowd. This made Cottoncandy feel uncomfortable, which dismayed Whirlwind.

“Oh, come on, do you really care about what THEY think?” She lightly asked him.
“Well… they’ll probably think that we’re weird.”
“And weird is way more fun than boring ever was. Come on, we both know it.”
“Yeah, I guess that was fun.”

The two of them proceeded to buy their tickets, and go to their seats, drying off before they sat so that they wouldn’t get everything wet.

“You know, I’ve always wanted to see this movie. I’ve just never seen it. I love the book.” Whirlwind said.
“Why not?” CS asked.
“I guess I’ve never gotten the chance, really.”
“Um… Okay?”

The seats around them began to fill up. Fillies and colts and mares and stallions alike began arranging themselves in accordance to who knew who and who was richer than who and all that. Whirlwind noticed how there were so many couples in the crowd. She also noticed how they were beautiful mares and stallions, and probably rich, too. In these days looks somehow always presided over insides. In these days, ponies couldn’t even see peoples’ beauty if it didn’t fit the narrow societal definition of what beauty was supposed to be. She didn’t care about that personally, but she knew that CS (the hottest stallion she ever saw, by the way) was being screwed over by this system. But one day that would all be over. They’d work something out. Even though it was hard and risky and very very obscure, they’d find a way to bring back the old Equestria.

She looked over at Cottoncandy, and saw him gazing off to the right with a sorrowful look in his eyes. She followed his eyes and saw that he was looking at a young couple making out. Why did he always focus on these things?
“Hey, Cotton,” she said, “you wanna try that?”
“Try what?” He asked, confused.
“That thing that the couple was doing!” She smiled mischievously.
“You mean?” Cotton had a look of mild horror mixed with mild excitement on his face.
“Just to know what it’s like, okay?”
“What will we be after that?”
“Friends, I guess. But we’ll just fool the other ponies into think that we’re dating.”
“Why?”
“Because I want to kiss you. I’ve wanted to kiss you for so long but I couldn’t and now I still can’t but I’m going to do it anyways.”

“Well…” Cottoncandy paused, thinking, “ … I’ve always wanted to kiss you, too.”
“But we can’t be each other's special someponies, you know that, right?”
“Yeah, I know that.” CS said glumly.

“So let’s start then. … I actually have never kissed a colt before, so I might not be very good.”
“I’ve never kissed a filly, don’t expect me to be good, either.”
“All the better, I love it when things are awkward.”

Their lips met each other, at first a bit awkwardly, but they were both surprised at how easy and natural it was. Whirlwind felt… blissful. She’d heard that kisses were fabulous and fireworks would go off and angels would come down from the sky, but this didn’t feel like that. It felt warm and sweet. She’d felt warm and sweet and blissful before. When she was with CS she felt like that. when she was with her family she felt like that. When she finished a school project that she worked really hard on and did well on, she felt like that. When she had finished a glorious shift of volunteering and was proud of her work, she also felt like that. So she guessed that love was love in all it’s many forms.

---------------------------------------CS’s POV-----------------------------------
That honestly didn’t feel as magical as I thought it would be. it felt good, really good, but the same type of good any close friend or family member would feel like. I felt closer to Whirlwind than I’d ever been before, but it didn’t feel different than most of the other times that we were just hanging out. I wonder whether that’s just because we’re not actually a couple or if that’s what kisses are supposed to feel like. I wish I could have a real marefriend. … Or do I? I mean, after what’s gone on today, I don’t see how it could be any better with someone who’s fucking me.


“That …. wasn’t what I was expecting,” Cs said.
“But it was still good, right?” whirlwind replied chipperly.

They looked forwards, hand in hand, as the screen flickered to life.

-------

The movie was perfect. Filled with action, which I liked. But at the same time there was a moral issue and good versus evil and also a lot of emotion, which Whirlwind liked. the oppressed standing up against their oppressors. A beautiful story. And we could talk about it a lot. Her second favourite part was my favourite. Which made me happy, we both had similar viewpoints. He thought that Equestrians were too proud to become a tyrant state, but Whirlwind thought that if they continued to be so “survival of the fittestish”

By the time we got out of the theater, it was about six o’clock and we decided that we needed to do something else before the day was over.

“So… you wanna go to a park and get completely wet?” Whirlwind asked brightly. Why would he want to do a thing like that? Gosh that filly was weird.

“Um, no?” He made sure to stress the fact that he was weirded out by this utterly weird weirdness.

“Aw, come on, you’re no fun.”

“What the fuck Whirlwind? Like, I don’t even know what the hell is wrong with you right now.”

Whirlwind gave him a look of disapproval. But he had a point.

“Oh pweese pweese pweese, Candy?” Whirwind asked, making puppydog eyes. Okay those weren’t gonna work.

“I don’t want to,” Cotton said.

“Oh, come on, CS, just trust me.”

“No,”

“Then I’m kidnapping you and hijacking your car.”

“What the fuck?”

“Come on.” Whirlwind grabbed his forearm and dragged him to the car. He started to fight, but decided to just go with it. He was in a good mood and an adventure was long due.

The two of them again ran through the thickly pouring rain and into the old, semi-broken car. The world was lit with a bright gray. If one was at peace it looked soft and sweet to them. If one was hurting and hopeless it seemed depressing and monotonous. To CS today it seemed soft, but with an undertone of sadness.

----------------------------------------Whirlwind’s POV---------------------------

It was so beautiful, soft and sad, with the rain pouring on the windows. They’d just gotten into the car and were a bit cold. Whirlwind looked over at Cottoncandy. His eyes twinkled and his mouth was turned up slightly. Beautifully. So. Damn. Beautifull. She wished she could lean over and kiss him, straight on the mouth.
She leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder.

“Hey, I can’t drive like this. We’ll crash.”
“I’m glad you value your life so much right now.” Whirlwind smiled warmly. This was progress.
“It’s not my life I’m worried about.” Cottoncandy said.
Whirlwind’s eyes teared up. “Cotton… Oh my God that was beautiful.”
“I just wish… never mind.” Teardrops again. Whirlwind could sort of see them. Oh no.
“Wish what?” She nudged him to elaborate.
“Uh, nothing.” Cotton could be such a douchebag sometimes. But Whirlwind assumed it was something she didn’t want to hear.

Gosh darn this was too much sentiment. Let’s just be happy. Let’s just enjoy the ride while it’s going. We’re together. We’re alive. Our families are alive. And we’re all here, together, in friendship, in love. And the rain is still pouring. And we’re ignoring it. And we’re turning it into something beautiful.

“So, have you ever soaked yourself in the rain?” She asked.
“Voluntarily, no,” He answered.
“Well, then, maybe you should. It’s enriching to the soul.”
“I prefer not to think about my soul.”
“This will help it, I swear.”

The rain poured on the windows, foreboding and threatening. Whirliwind ignored it because… at this moment she could. At this moment she could be happy.

--------------------------------------CS’s POV---------------------------------------
This was so weird. She was so weird. Yet he was still with her. Why? Because she made him smile? (Do I?) Because he needed the love? Was it a selfish reason or a selfless one? Whatever the reason was, he definitely had one. And now he was being dragged out into the rain. The pouring jets crashed into him like… he laughed slightly at he thought.
“I know what you’re thinking,” Whirlwind teased.
“I know you know,” he teased back. Two could play at that game.
“Well, how do you like it?”
“The rain?”
“Well, yeah.”
“It’s still weird.”
“Then dance with me. I’ll make you see the truth.Ever since I was a toddler I loved to soak in the rain. There’s something… magical about it, about it all, that almost nothing else compares to. And it’s not like pony magic, or even the magic of friendship. It’s the magic of nature, of a raging, fantastical, unbreakable, powerful, and wild. And it’s cradling you, like it’s the king and you’re the princess. You feel empowered, you feel like dancing, singing, screaming in joy, flying. It’s like you’re in another dimension. You’re in the physical world, yet in another one as well. It’s beautiful.”
“That’s quite philosophical.”

Whirlwind held his shoulders with her wings and spun him around. Cottoncandy smiled. He put his wings on her shoulders and they proceeded to spin and twirl and dip and jump and crash into trees and stuff and fall and laugh. He was clumsy and a bit awkward. She was reckless and a bit whimsical. The rain, it was strangely warm that night. Normally it was cold, and it grew colder by the day. But today it was as if something was shielding them. Warming them in the cold winter Perhaps it was the magic of friendship? Perhaps friendship could light the way to a better future, if kindled with the flames of and love and and thought and generosity and laughter and honesty and kindness and loyalty.

The rain danced on his skin, soaking his fur in what felt like power and love and energy. Every drop sent a new burst of energy through him. He smiled widely, and saw Whirlwind’s smile reflected back at him. They were so different the two. Some could even argue too different. But right then, that day, the power of friendship and love made them flow as one.
“Once… upon a time. You came into my world and made the stars align,” Whirlwind began,
“Now, I can see the signs. You lift me up when I am down so I can shine.” Cottoncandy sang the next.
“And the song that we hear in our hearts, is a CRESCENDO!!” Whirlwind.
“And the light that ignites from our love, makes the SONG GO!!!” Candy.
She sang a line, then he sang a line, and they went through song after song and song. He couldn’t sing well but that’s not what mattered.
“I love music,” Whirlwind smiled.

Cotton felt contented. Is was what dreams were made of

------------------------------------------Whirlwind--------------------------------------
Gosh that was glorious. The bliss, the beauty, the awesomeness that came with that night. She lay sleeping in her bed right now, happy at all the events that had passed. And yet melancholy at it’s passing. She kind of wished she could sleep over at Cottoncandy Soldier’s house, but her parents would never allow that. Well, maybe one day, when she was older.

--------------------------------------CS’s POV------------------------------------------
Well, yesterday was fun. He liked fun. Fun was awesome. Fun was what made life worth living. Yet work was what made life. He was once so eager to work, but hate had stripped that away. So he had to get ready, in the dreary bachelor way. As he was making his bed he saw something under the pillow. Another rock, a harmony rock, this time shaped like three balloons.