• Published 22nd Apr 2012
  • 1,112 Views, 6 Comments

Cursed Eclipse - Captive Light - AImostpure



The birth of an unusual Alicorn signals the begining of change.

  • ...
1
 6
 1,112

Blueberry Part 2

Celestia's sun hung high over the proud royal city of Canterlot. Citizens went about their lives a many without a care in the world other then their day to day joys, work, and activities. Behind the white walls of the castle, in the throne room of Princess Celestia, Iron Mind stood proud and tall before her Royal Majesty delivering the security report for the week. Thick black hair swung down over the left side of his neck unable to be kept within the confines of his helmet. Iron Mind's armor was a traditional guard's garb of metal plates curved to protect the more tender parts of his body down to his flank and over his cutie marks. He did have one change to the armor he had crafted him self. Special boots made from the finest steel protected his shins and hooves with an added surprise; at the front of each piece a small blade was set.

“First, your Majesty, I would like to inform you that the recent string of robberies in Canterlot has been solved. It turned out it was only an unusual pony who had a preference for mares used hats. He has been detained.” Iron Mind spoke with a firm, dedication to his duty. “Furthermore, I must insist that her Majesty inform the Pegasus guards when you plan to take a bath in the outdoor bathing facilities. Additional guards are needed due to sightings of a peeping tom around the area.” Several maids had complained of somepony being outside their stations numerous times but the culprit had yet to be caught.

“Yes, I understand Captain Mind, thank you for your dedicated service.” Gentle, violet pink eyes settled upon her faithful captain. She had promoted him three months prior due to his dedicated service and good deeds in helping anypony that he had come across during his duties. Princess Celestia rested upon her haunches before her throne. The serene smile she always painting her beautiful features. Wings rested back upon her sides remaining out of the way. Shades of blue, green, and pink hovered around her from her celestial mane. “Your mother was due to give birth, was she not, Captain?”

For the first time during their meeting, Iron cast his gaze aside and did not look upon his Princess. “Yes that is correct. I received word yesterday, though, that she lost the child during birth.” The pony guard held no emotion to the news, at least sorrow towards his parents.

“Oh dear.” Celestia's sunny disposition became dim upon the news replied to her. “I understand you will be needing time to visit, will you not?” She asked, her voice toned with concern for her subject. News such as this wasn't something that one took lightly.

“That will not be necessary, your majesty. While I know this may make me appear lesser in your eyes. I do not wish to return to that home unless I have to.” Stern eyes returned to the Princess, no longer feeling the self pity he had for a lost sibling. “I became a guard to escape my parents, and I wish not to return.”

Celestia did not reply to what he had said. While she had wished he would reconsider visiting his parents in their time of need, she found it best to allow his judgment to stand. “I understand. But if you wish to return to your home at any time, please, I will not stop you from going. Despite what you feel, they are your parents.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

It was the winter after Eclipse's first birthday. It was the morning of Hearth's Warming Eve and Equestria was filled with song, dance, and celebration. Snow covered most of the Kingdom bringing it seasonal fun. Many of these things were no different at the Mine Manor. The blue Earth Pony stood in the center of the main cellar room staring at the work and effort she put into making it a home. Despite the difficulty, Blueberry had painted the walls blue and green matching scenery of the outdoors, and the ceiling was split with a wavy line down the middle. One side of the ceiling had white clouds, blue skies, and a big, yellow sun. The other side was a dark blue with white stars and a moon with the Mare etched in for added realism. On the back wall below the window were three bookshelves filled with literature for many ages. The east wall had a toy box and a shelf with drawings, baby hoof prints in claw, and numerous other things Blueberry collected of Eclipse. The west wall for now as empty as she hadn't quiet decided what to put there yet. The southwest room had been redesigned to hold a small bathtub, sink, and pony toilet. A small vent would allow some air to circulate from the outside in and back out. The southeast room would be where Eclipse would lay her little head. The one window she would have had didn't give any chance for Eclipse to see the sun or moon, so Blueberry had a new, slanted window put in just above and outside the manor, above the room, so she could see outside a bit more.

It was still the wee morning hours and Eclipse had yet to wake. This had given Blueberry the chance to finish the preparations. Beneath the window directly, a bit in between the book cases, towels created a tidy circle acting as barriers for a later surprise. Blueberry had drug down and decorated a nice tree with dozens of presents beneath it. Even if her parents wanted nothing to do with the little pony, Blueberry would ensure that Eclipse had a wonderful day.

A few more hours passed and the final surprise was done. From the outside the window in the main room was opened, and gripping a snow shovel in her mouth, Blueberry shoveled a bit of snow to create a pile on the bottom of the cellar floor. Now it was just time to wake up the little, sleeping Alicorn. Hooves clopped against the stone floor when she entered into the small bedroom. “Eclipse, it's morning.” A sing song voice rang out. Blueberry came to a halt besides the wooden crib. She raised her hoof up reaching down to caress the foal's back.

An caged angel, Eclipse looked up to the blue mare with her glowing eyes. A playful giggle escaped her mouth as she reached her hooves up to the motherly figure that hovered over her. Blueberry eased her right foreleg down wrapping it gently across Eclipse's back. The filly raised her hips enough and, when lifted, instantly came to hug her self against Blueberry's neck. Happy laughter came forth as Eclipse played and nuzzled the older Mare's mane.

“The surprises I have for you today are going to be glorious.” Whisking Eclipse into the main room, she immediately squealed with delight at the sights before her. From the snow, to the tree, and to the presents it all appeared to be something out of a story book. Holding onto a squirming filly while walking on three hooves was difficult in its own manner, so Blueberry quickly set the child down letting her crawl towards the fluffy white mess. Even if she had to spend her entire life in here, there wasn't any reason she couldn't enjoy some of what the seasons had to offer her.

~*~*~*~*~

Summer's warmth would come again after Eclipse turned two and spring did end. Large metal hoops hung with care from the main rooms ceilings with hook and wire. Setting these up was far harder than anything Blueberry had done thus far. Many of the feats she had accomplished were still a mystery even to her self. Each of the hoops were hung at different heights totaling five. The blue mare hoped that Eclipse would be able to show some strength in her wings using these special flying exercises.

Two feet away from Blueberry, Eclipse hovered in front of a hoop barely five feet from the ground. Her eyes were flinched closed as she beat her feathered and bat wings as hard as she could to get higher. Right, glowing eye opened up peering at the hoop barely out of her reach. In one moment of daring action, Eclipse pushed her self up, through the hoop, and back down onto the other side. Eclipse finally opened her eyes looking behind her. A neigh of delight escaped from her, kicking her four legs back and forth excited at her accomplishment. Eclipse's wings grew tired quickly and the little filly found her self dropping downwards to the stone floor before.

“Come on, Eclipse, just flap your wings a bit harder.” Blueberry encouraged pumping her hooves up and down. She rested back on her haunches keeping her eyes attuned to the little filly. “Almost.. Almost..” She chanted until she watched her charge clear the lowest ring. “Yay!” A loud cheer broke out from the mare. Just as swiftly as she was to cheer was Blueberry to lunge forward catching Eclipse in her own outstretched hooves. Blueberry jumped upwards standing on her hind legs raising her forelegs to toss Eclipse into the air. “Good girl! You did it!” She exclaimed catching the giggling filly when she came back down. “See, I told you that you could if you tried to.” Eclipse came down against Blueberry's body, cradled by her forelegs, and chirped in delight. “And each time you feel up to it we'll go higher until you wont need the lower ones anymore.”

Eclipse giggled and cooed against her nanny, nuzzling close as the praise of her deeds showered down upon her. Bright, glowing eyes looked around her play room in delight, the bit of sunlight that came in giving it a natural look during this particular time. Her toys can grown in the last year to more things that allowed her to use her magic or help with flying. The collection of books had grown as well, most of which though she wouldn't be able to read until her early teenage years. Curiosity piqued when Blueberry carried her over towards the eastern wall shelf. The blue mare pointed a free hoof towards a picture that rested on a wooden shelf.

“See there? I sneaked that down here just for you. See, the handsome stallion on the right is your Daddy.” A ping of disgust built in the back of her throat. After two years Gold Mine didn't do anything for his daughter. He never asked about her condition, stopped Blueberry from mentioning her, and when asked why he had hated her so, his answer was less then satisfying. 'A curse?' Blueberry had thought to her self. He had mentioned this a few times over the years but it was never understood why he thought this. 'Just because her wing is different, just because she has a horn as well, doesn't mean she's a curse. It doesn't mean that anything that goes wrong was her fault.' But there no explaining to one so stubborn as Gold. “He makes sure that there's plenty of money so you can grow up to be a big, beautiful girl.” Blueberry wasn't going to be like Gold, though, she wouldn't allow her hatred to be given onto the child in case something did change in the future.

The mare then motioned to the filly on the left of Gold Mine. “And that beautiful mare, is your Mommy, Diamond Mine. But she's very sick right now.” The half truth escaped from Blueberry's lips. Blueberry and Diamond were at constant odds whenever they saw one another. While Gold didn't care what Blueberry did as long as he was not disturbed, Diamond tried at every chance she had to try and be rid of Eclipse. She believed that the child was a bringer of destruction. A freak of nature that some dark force must have sent to destroy their family, even more than Gold at times declared. Once Blueberry had stopped her self smothering the poor foal as she slept in her crib. Diamond Mine was not well. Her mind seemed to be shattered and her body reflected this change as with each passing seasoning she appeared more frail.

When the word mommy was said, and Blueberry pointed to Diamond Mine, Eclipse peered at the picture a little closer. The little filly wasn't understanding who the woman was. The word mommy was used a few times when Blueberry read stories or spoke of the people arguing upstairs but nothing more. Finally, a realization sparked the filly's mind. Suddenly, she leaned forward clinging to Blueberry, wrapping her forelegs around the affectionate mare squealing out, “Momma!” The filly waved her tail in delight for Blueberry.

“What? N... No, Eclipse that here is...” Blueberry cut her own words off as a pain wretched into her heart. A sad, yet delighted smile came caressing her muzzle, while her soft eyes watched the happy filly. She would say no more on the subject to persuade the girl otherwise. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to let the little one see things her own way for now time would surely change things for the better, or at least that what was she prayed to Celestia for. “Now, let's lay you down for a nap. What story would you like me to read you, my little pony?” Blueberry quizzically spoke.

“Nightmare Woon!” Eclipse chirped nodding her head repeatedly.

“That story again? Golly, I just don't know what you like about that fairy tale.”


~*~*~*~*~*~

“Happy birthdays here again. Happy birthdays here to stay.” Blueberry sung happily as she trotted down the entry room towards the cellar door. The saddle bags on either side of her torso were lightly filled with goodies and presents and resting on her flank a large, pink box was steadied carefully. Her mood was chipper this spring morning, she had a special present in store for Eclipse's birthday today.

“What are you doing this time?” A hoarse, tired voice spoke at a pitiful sound level. Blueberry spun around, careful of the box on her flank, to face Diamond Mine. The Light brown coated mare stood at the bottom of the stairs, her hind legs resting on the bottom step. The last five years were not kind to her. Her once beautiful, silver hair was nothing but strands, chunks of her coat had fallen off in ugly patches, and her eyes were red and tired. “Why isn't that creature dead yet? Look at what has left me as!” Diamond took four steps from the staircase coming closer to Blueberry.

“Well, you see, it's her birthday! I thought that since she's cursed, I wanted to celebrate this fact and all that she's done for you and Gold.” The snide remark came with a proud smile. “Honestly, how can you blame her for what has happened to you?” She asked, cautious of letting the brown mare come to close to her. “You haven't even seen her for five years.”

“It's her curse! Curse I tell you! Sucking the life from me, bringing a dark plague on this family ruining our luck in every way. How else could you explain how something that looks like that came around?” Her pupils shrunk, eyes widening staring down the pony in front of Diamond. “Gold wont even touch me anymore. He wont kiss me, say he loves me, he wont kiss me. And it's all because of that thing we keep down there.”

“Oh no!” Blueberry Pie exclaimed with a sense of false concern. “I bet the poor little dear is actually sucking the life out of you to feed her own life! Why, killing her would probably kill you as well. You know how curses go.” This time Blueberry got in devilishly close to Diamond, bringing her voice down to a whisper, “Some curses are probably connected to one's own life. If she dies, you die, but if you die... Well... She lives on.” Blueberry made a clicking noise with her tongue. “Why, if you came into the same room as her who knows what she might be able to do. Better stay away for good, right?” A cruel chuckle left the blue mare. She normally wasn't like this with others, but it was to protect Eclipse.

Diamond stared at Blueberry Pie in horror. The thoughts of what she said, while Blueberry believed none of it, flashed through the older Mare's mind. Diamond Mine tried to figure it all out at once but the fatigue she felt, and the delusions she saw wouldn't let her. A terrified shriek came from her parched, mouth as she turned stumbling back towards the stairs. Every fifth step until the stop she fell collapsing down upon her knees. Once upstairs, Diamond broke into full gallop to reach the last staircase up to her bedroom.

It was a cruel thing to do, Blueberry knew this, but it felt so good to accomplish. Back to her little song about birthdays, the mare retraced her self back to the cellar door. She descended the stairs after pushing it open with her head. “Eclipse! I got something for you!” A cheery voice rang out to her ward. “Come out, come out where ever you are!” At the bottom step, she looked around at the playroom. All the hoops were at their highest place near the ceiling, the books she could fit down here had reached their maximum amount, Eclipse's toys mirrored closer to her age, and there were more drawings by the little pony pinned to the walls.

“C...c..coming, M..M.Momma!” A stuttering voice spoke aloud from the south eastern bedroom. Eclipse was still small even at her age of five. Her wings were strong and healthy, her magic was developing in a proper path, and she was learning to read and write even at her age. The only problem that Blueberry found was the stutter. The moment she began to speak more words, speech impediment came around. “Did you g..g...get me something for my bi..bir.. birthday?” The blank flank filly bounced upwards, flapping her wings a few time to hover then came back down in front of Blueberry. She came down sitting on her haunches waiting eagerly for the news. Gray blue mane came down covering her left eye, parted by her gray horn.

“My, doesn't someone have the wants?” Blueberry playfully chided the little filly. She gave her flank a quick bump letting the pink box topple up and land right side up besides her. Her neck twisted over allowing her mouth to open the left saddle bag first. Flipping the flap up and away, she withdrew a wrapped gift about half the size of the filly. “Well, since it's your birthday I guess it'll allow it.” She mumbled dropping the first present down in front of the anxious foal.

Cursed Eclipse didn't wait any time to rip open the wrapping of the present. A mixture of magic and her own hooves tore away the beautiful, blue and green wrapping paper. A flutter of pieces of paper danced around the air until she could see the treasure gift beneath; a Princess Celestia plushie. Eclipse couldn't have squealed loud enough as she clutched the doll close to her. “It's Pr..Pr..Princess Celestia!” She exclaimed.

“Now now, I know how much you like a particular story so I had something else custom made.” Blueberry grinned as she lowered her self down, resting with her legs curled beneath her body. She turned her head to the opposite saddle bag, pulling the flap back, and withdrawing another package similar to the first. “Open this one and then we'll eat cake.”

Delicious cake was a reward for accepting a gift? Eclipse felt like she had entered paradise the moment she woke up. Her ears settled back against her gray blue hair, her head tilting back as her eyes closed, and her lips gave the brightest grin she could muster. The next package was pounced upon with an eagerness a child could have. The wrapping paper ripped open with her mouth and hooves revealing the prize inside. Her glowing eyes grew wide at what she saw; her very own Nightmare Moon plushie. “Oh my g..g..gosh!” She chirped hugging the plushie against her small form. “You really got it m..m..made!” The next thing she did was toss her forelegs around Blueberry's neck hugging both her and the Nightmare Moon doll. “Thank you so m..m..much, M.m...momma!”

Blueberry brought her forelegs up catching the little filly to return the embrace. “I had to order it by mail. Turned out not many people want a doll like that!” Carefully, Blueberry raised back up to a stand coming over to the pink box. She swatted the side of it with a oomph of a hit. Each wall fell away, the top lid falling back revealing the birthday cake. Blue frosting was placed around the sides, and on the top it was split with day time and night time designs. Five candles in the shape of ponies were placed in a star design between the day and night sides. Blueberry produced a match box from her saddle bag. Holding a match in one hoof and the box in the other, she struck the red tipped stick producing an orange flame. Each candle was lit before she blew out the match. “Now, make a wish.”

Eclipse was dazzled by the sights of the flickering flames. Breathing in deep, eclipse readied her self. A gust of air shot forth from puckered lips sending the flickering flames to vanish leaving only wisps of smoke in their place. The little filly stomped her hooves excitedly looking to Blueberry for praise.

“Now, while I don't know what you wished for I do have a surprise. I was able to convince your daddy,” Blueberry began settling back to lay with her legs bent beneath her. Eclipse trotted besides her, magic holding onto her Nightmare Moon doll onto she laid down snuggling Blueberry's side. “But, I convinced your daddy to let you see the rising of the sun during the Summer Sun Festival this year.” If Eclipse was excited from her dolls before, the pleasure on her face could melt the coldest ice. Blueberry smiled contently to her self for the joy she brought the little filly today would last on in the most pleasant of memories.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A bit of celebration, eatting of half the cake, and now it was time for a nap. Eclipse laid against Blueberry with Celestia clutched under one leg and Nightmare Moon under the other. The blue mare leaned down placing a gentle kiss onto her ward's forehead. “I think, slowly but surely, I can convince Gold that she isn't such a curse after all. Diamond is clearly insane so there isn't much I can do there.” Blueberry thought aloud. For the last 5 years she had been preparing just in case the situation for Eclipse veered an ugly head. When Gold first threatened her she was powerless to do anything, but things have changed. Every chance she could escape away while Eclipse slept, she gathered evidence of any crimes the brown stallion might have done. From affairs with mares in Fillyton, cutting corners on mining equipment, or evidence of Eclipse's very existence, she was prepared to black mail him into whatever she could do for Eclipse. For now, she let bygones be bygones and raised Eclipse. “Just you wait, Eclipse, I'll make a better life for you somehow.