• Published 29th Aug 2014
  • 1,830 Views, 16 Comments

The Friendly Changeling - WezzaHD



A changeling has left the hive to lead a new life. Meanwhile, Twilight and her friends are on alert for a changeling in Equestria. Will he resist the temptaion of absorbing a ponies love? Or is he destined to always be a soldier?

  • ...
14
 16
 1,830

Chapter 2: Welcome to Ponyville

Shadowflight had just moved into his house. It was a simple place with a living room with a table and two chairs, a kitchen with standard kitchen devices, which he didn't know how to use and a bedroom which lead straight to the bathroom. To any other pony, this would probably be tiny but Shadowflight didn't notice nor mind. He had a home, and this was the first step in his new life and he would soon take his first step in making friends. He decided to look around town to get to know the place. He left what little possessions he had and went outside, it would also give him a chance to get used to walking, as well.

He left his house to be greeted with a bright sunny day. The sun was shining on him and made him feel, warm. The light never came to the hive; it was always gloomy with nothing but the decrepit land around it. But here, he finally knew what the sun was like. He almost smiled.

But no. He knew that he was not welcome in the sun; he was only wearing the guise of somepony who was. In reality, he was an outsider, a small part of a huge thorn in Equestrias side, a loner, who in the eyes of others would never be accepted to even go near the light. But this was his chance to change all of that, and "by Celestia" as they said, he was going to change that.

He started looking around and came across a pastry shop close to his house called "Sugarcube Corner". There was probably some good stuff in there but it was a shame he couldn't eat any of it. He went to the next place which read "Pegasus weather station". Outside it was a bulletin board of the weather for the next five days. It would be sunny today and tomorrow, and clouds with a chance of rain in two days time. He shrugged then walked away. Trotting along, a blue blur came crashing into him.

He was dazed for a couple of seconds, until he pushed whatever had just crashed into him to the side. He looked at the mare. She was cyan and had a peculiar rainbow mane. Another pony at Canterlot during the invasion, a pony he remembered very well.

"Hey, are you okay, I guess?" He asked. Friends had to show concern or something, right? Well, she got out of her daze and showed her appreciation for his concern, by slugging him in his jaw.

"Hey, watch where you're going,you clutz!" She yelled at him "I was flying there, and you got in my way!" Though Shadowflight wanted to know about friendship, he was almost completely alien to what it meant. He heard that friends forgive each other, so he forced a smile and apologised, though in reality he wanted to kick the mare back.

"Hmpf, apology accepted" she said with pride on her face. "By the way, I'm Rainbow Dash; the fastest flier in all of Equestria! I've never seen you around before, are you new here?"

"Yes" He nodded "I'm Shadowflight, I just moved Here from... uh, Manehatten" Shadowflight couldn't believe he hadn't thought about where he was from. He was such an idiot.

"Meh, while, I've got more flying to do, see us around, Shadow" Rainbow shrugged and flew off. She was obviously full of herself, though she was fast. But he had to check the rest of Ponyville out.

He then walked over to, well he looked at it and he didn't know what it was selling. It was something called a "boutique" but he didn't know what that was.

*CRASH*

He was broken from his thoughts when three small figures crashed into a tree next to him.

"Ah told ya cutie mark crusader cannonballs was a bad idea"

"Well, it would have worked if Sweetie Belle aimed the cannon towards the target"

"Hey, it's not my fault that Applebloom was moving around and made it shift to the left"

Shadowflight stared at the three in the tree. One orange Pegasus, one white unicorn and one yellow earth pony. All fillies.

"There ya are, we've been lookin' all over for ya"

"Honestly you three, where did you even get a cannon?"

An orange earth pony in a hat and a white unicorn with a purple mane ran up after them. After telling them off they suddenly noticed Shadowflight.

"Excuse me darling, but could you get those three down from there?" She asked him. He nodded and flew up to grab all three fillies. He wheezed a bit, carrying three fillies at once was heavy work, but he managed it and got them down.

"Oh thank you so much, kind sir"

"Can we do anything to repay ya?" The Orange one asked.

"No, it's really alright" he shook his head.

"Nonsense, you've helped us very much" the other one insisted and she pulled him inside her "boutique" with her magic while the others followed.

"Look at your mane, it's utterly hideous. This simply will not do!" She suddenly looked angry and got a paddle with blunt spikes and ran it through his mane. His initial instinct at the sight of it was to stick her to the wall and run away, but he didn't. She couldn't have known his secret so quickly, so he stood where he was. It wasn't a weapon, he was right about that but it still hurt. After a few more painful minutes, Shadowflight soon had a clean mane and tail.

"Perfect" she marvelled at her work "I hope everything is to your liking... erm, I don't believe I caught I caught your name" she said sheepishly.

"I'm Shadowflight, and you are?" he smiled

"Ah, yes, I'm Rarity, Ponyville's very own fashionista"

"And ah'm Applejack, of Sweet Apple Acres"

Soon a cat came down from upstairs. "Oh, this is Opal, say hello, Opal" she gently pushed 'Opal' towards him. The looked him for a couple of seconds, hissed and ran back upstairs. "Opal! I'm terribly sorry, she's usually not like this"

"Yes, she is" the younger unicorn whispered to him. He snickered to himself at this.

"It's fine, animals usually don't like me" This was true, animals could sense danger from a mile away and his species was about as big a danger as they came.

"Well, it's been fun, but-"

"Wait!" she took some quick measurements of him.

"What are you doing?" he asked

"I'm taking measurements, silly. You said you were new, correct? Well, consider this a welcome gift. I'm going to make you some clothes, free of charge!"

"Wow, you're really generous, thank you"

"Oh, it's nothing really" she replied "They'll be with you in about a day's time, darling" she said as he left the Boutique.

He began walking over to the large forest at the other side of Ponyville. On the other side, there was a forest, the "Everfree Forest" a sign read. He had heard about this forest; it was one of the most dangerous places in Equestria. He saw a small cottage with other small houses in its yard. It surprised him that there was a pony who lived right outside the place. Whoever it was, they must be really pony to live outside such a dismal and dangerous area. He went over to the entrance and saw animals in the garden. They all looked at him and either ran away in fear or growled at him and looked like they were ready to attack.

Just then a white rabbit bumped into his hoof. It looked up at "pony" above and cowered under him in fear.

"Angel, there you are." A yellow pegasus with a long pink mane flew up to him and grabbed the bunny. She spoke with a quiet voice.

"Why do you always have to be so picky that you throw a tantrum and run away?" At this point, the bunny wasn't worrying about food, it was just concerned with getting as far away from this newcomer as possible. She noticed him and was startled by his presence.

"Hello there" the changeling in disguise decided to introduce himself. "I'm Shadowflight, and you are?"

"I'm, Flutt..." She muttered.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear you, could you say that again?" He asked politely.

"Flutters.."

"Still can't hear you"

"..." she went silent, so he decided to stop asking the mare. Wow, the pony who lived by this deadly forest was not at all as he expected. He thought it would've been somepony more confident, but tense and on edge quite a lot. A pony that was like him, in his soldier days. Yes, he remembered those all too well. But he never wanted to think about them, and now was no exception. Now was a time of new beginnings.

"So, you live here?" he asked, trying to make conversation. She nodded. "Isn't it a bit dangerous to be living outside here?" That question was really annoying him.

"Oh, no, they rarely ever leave, t-the forest" She was being a bit more open but was still very shy. He looked up. The sun was going down, so he proceeded to walk back to his house. He went through town, where he could already see ponies going into their houses. He also saw many stores closing up. He saw one called "Sugarcube Corner" being closed by two earth ponies, who were strangely carrying two foals on their backs, which he guessed were their children but that wasn't the strange part, no, the strange part was that neither were earth ponies. One was a unicorn and one was a pegasus. He didn't know how that was possible, but he kept walking.

As the sun finally went down, he saw the castle above him no longer reflected the sunlight and stopped the beautiful glimmer it had had all day. That was where Twilight Sparkle lived, the one that hated changelings the most. He sighed, he felt like he was in danger just looking at it.

He was now outside of his own house. He got his key out with his mouth and opened the door.

"Surprise!"