• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 3,252 Views, 90 Comments

The Fungus Among Us - Xain Russell



Something terrible is spreading through Chrysalis's hive, killing her children one by one. How much will she sacrifice to find a cure?

  • ...
4
 90
 3,252

Chapter 3: The Water's Rising

72 hours after first infection

Braeburn hated mornings. The sunrise was just about the only thing he liked about them, but after that it was right into the often arduous task of taking care of a rather large apple orchard. Now the work itself wasn't so bad, it was just hard for the stallion to shake the sleep from his eyes. He often wished he could have one of those fancy coffee grinders he'd heard about, because as it was he didn't have time in the early hours to run to The Salt Lick for a cup-a-joe before he started work.

The ponies of Appleloosa were halfway through the Fall harvest, with only a few more days to go before the apples passed the 'prime picking point' that the old curmudgeons of the Apple Family always went on about. Braeburn didn't always get the traditions that had been laid out by the family hundreds of years ago, but it wasn't exactly his place to question it. All he had to do was kick trees just right enough so the apples would fall neatly into the buckets arranged by the other harvesters working ahead of him. They'd then circle back around and pick up the apples he'd bucked from the trees, hopefully finishing up around high noon.

"Slow going Brae?" Shouted one of the ponies haling a loaded cart past him around 11 O'clock.

"Bout as slow as it always is." Braeburn responded, tipping his hat and wiping the sweat from his brow. He kicked another tree, then stopped to listen to the telltale thumps of apples hitting wood. "How much further they got me going today?"

"Not too far, I'd say another row or two. Best hurry up, or you'll miss the stampede!"

'Shoot, that was today?' Braeburn thought. He hastened over to the next tree and almost kicked the tree too hard in his rush. He hadn't missed a buffalo stampede since they'd settled a peace between the two races. It wasn't just out of respect for his once antagonistic neighbors, he just couldn't miss a chance to talk with the Chieftain's daughter, Little Strongheart. They used to see each other often, but their duties had started to clash with increasing frequency as of late. With that on his mind, Braeburn had that extra fire in his steam engine, and he quickened his step as fast as he dared.

He was on the last leg of his harvest, his back legs poised to buck another tree, when all at once he heard coughing and gasping coming from the brush nearby. He halted himself and placed his legs back on the ground. The bush shuttered as something struggled to get through, wheezing and hacking all the way.

"Hello?" Braeburn said, cautiously walking over to the bush. "You alright? Sound's like you got a mighty bad case of the HOLY SWEET CELESTIA!"

What came out of the bush was nothing like Braeburn had ever seen. It's body was black and hard looking, with its carapace gleaming slightly in the late morning sun. Its hooves were full of holes that seemed to have collected a fair bit of dirt as the creature dragged its limbs around. Its wings, equally hole riddled, seemed to sputter in distress every now and then as it stumbled. It whipped its head all around, sniffing at the air as it did so. Braeburn knew enough to tell that this was a changeling, straight out of stories he'd heard from ponies more well traveled then he. But those travelers seemed to have forgotten one key detail in describing these creatures: the hideous growths that sprouted from their heads.

Braeburn took several steps back as the changeling freed itself from the bush. It jerked its head about, still taking huge amounts of air in through its nose, until finally it seemed to lock eyes on Braeburn. Braeburn was almost paralyzed with fear, he just couldn't take his eyes off the huge stalks sprouting out from behind it's left eye, pushing the lid down on an otherwise wide and fear stricken grey eye. The other eye, still blue as the sky, quivered ever so slightly as it stared at him. Then the changeling opened its mouth and let loose a moan that was both agony and sorrow filled. It was a sound so horrible as to break Braeburn from his paralysis and send him sprinting through the orchard.

"CHANGELING!" He screamed out. "Celestia have mercy on me there's a changeling in the orchard!"

He ran passed several other ponies finishing up their work, before he broke through the tree line and into the town proper. Immediately Braeburn made a bee line to Sheriff Silver Star's office, where he could see the Sheriff speaking with the Chieftain of the Buffalos, Chief Thunderhooves.

"Sheriff Silver Star!" Braeburn yelled as he skidded to a halt right in front of the two. "We have a problem!"

"I'll say we do!" The Sheriff said with a sly smirk. "Thunderhooves here is saying you been distract'n his daughter someth'n fierce! You got any thing to say to that accusation?"

"Yes. Wait, no. Ahhgg! Sheriff, there's a Changeling in the orchard!"

Silver Star's smile turned into a look of tired irritation as he sighed. "You been taking those Merchant Ponies' stories too seriously boy."

"There not just stories sheriff! There really is a-"

"Sheriff!" Came another call for Silver Star's attention as three more ponies rushed up to him. "There's a monster in the orchard!"

Silver Star's eyes went wide as he looked from the three new arrivals, over to Braeburn, then to Chief Thunder Hooves. "Chief I think our conversation's gonna have to be put on hold for a moment."

"Of Course. Though might I join you?" The Buffalo inquired. "I have heard of these... Changelings before. And if their is some manner of monster in our lands I would very much like to know of it."

"Fine by me. Lead the way Braeburn."

"Don't think it's gonna be hard to find sir. It was stumble'n about more than a blind pony in a sand storm."

The group made their way to the orchard, meeting a few more ponies on the way who had seen the monster in the trees. The Changeling was still a good ways in when they finally found it, still sniffing about at the air and jerking around.

"By the sun and moon." Silver Star swore as he looked at the hideously deformed creature before him.

"I have heard many a story about the horrible creatures that live in this world." Chief Thunder Hooves said in awestruck fear. "Never have I seen or heard of something such as this."

"HEY! FREAK SHOW!" One of the ponies that had followed the sheriff yelled. "Get out of our orchard!"

The changeling halted itself and jerked its head to look over at the group. Then it simply continued to sniff and jerk its limbs forward as it continued on its way.

"We got to get rid of this thing." Braeburn whispered. "Preferably before it starts lay'n eggs in the trees."

Silver Star sneered in disgust at the idea and took a few steps toward the changeling. "Ho there!" He shouted. "I'm Sheriff Silver Star. And y'all trespassing in the orchard of Appleloosa. You got five minutes to skidaddle out of here, before me and my boys here MAKE you skidaddle. You hear me bug?"

The changeling ether didn't understand or didn't care for the sheriff's words. It just kept going on its way, moaning all the while. "Ma... Moth..."

"Last warning! You'd best get go'n before you get yer self hurt!"

"Moth...er..."

"Have it yer way then!" The sheriff yelled as he bent his head low and charged at the changeling. He rammed low into the creature's side and tossed it upwards, sending it flying a good ten feet away.

The ponies gave a few whoops and hollers at the Sheriff's actions, before the changeling simply got back up and started walking again.

"You got manure for brains bug?" Silver Star yelled. "Get out a here!"

"Stop!" Yelled a tiny buffalo girl as she leaped in front of the group. "You're hurting it!"

"Strong Heart?" Braeburn said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Father was taking too long to get back to the herd." Little Strong Heart explained. "But that's not the issue right now! Why are you tormenting this creature?"

"Girl, I don't know if you've noticed," Silver Star said. "But that thing ain't exactly friendly looking. And besides that, it's trespassing in our orchard, probably get'n ready to lay all kinds of nasty eggs or someth'n."

Strong Heart gave a very incredulous and disbelieving look to the lot of them before gesturing over to the changeling. "It's in pain and distress! And can't you hear what it's muttering?"

"Who cares what it's muttering!" One of the ponies yelled. "I heard a whole army of those things attacked Canterlot a while back!"

"I heard tell that their queen tried to suck the soul right out of Prince Shining Armor!" Yelled another. "And you think we should let one of those things wander into our home? No thanks!"

Strong Heart rolled her eyes and beckoned over to Braeburn. "Brae, get over here."

"I ain't get'n anywhere near that thing Strong!"

"Brae, you get over here, or no good bye hug this afternoon."

"WHAT?!" Shouted both Braeburn and Chief Thunderhooves at the same time. The farm pony turned to look at the chief and got a death glare in response. Sighing in resignation, Braeburn approached Little Strong Heart as she led him over to the changeling.

"Listen." Strong Heart said.

Breaburn gulped down a knot in his throat and twitched his ears towards the changeling.

"Ma... Mothhhh..."

"Moth?" Braeburn guessed.

"Mothhhheerr.... Mother..."

"Mother?"

"Yes!" Little Strong Heart said. "It's looking for its Mother Braeburn!"

"Boo freaking hoo." Silver Star said. "Its mommy ain't here! So it can go look somewhere else!"

"Sheriff Silver Star, You and my Father have to be the most thick headed people I've ever met! Well if you won't help this creature, then I will!"

"And how do you intend on doing that?" Braeburn asked. "The thing is out of it more than that old coot that spends too much time at the Salt Lick. It can't even say anything past mumbling the same word over and over again."

"W-well... What about your Princess?" Strong Heart said before pointing over to the pony that brought up the invasion of Canterlot. "You said their kind attacked the capital, so if anypony would know about these things it'd probably be her right?"

Silver Star humphed at that. "The Princess probably got more important things to worry about."

"Well can you at least write her a message first before you kick this wreck of a creature back into the desert?"

"By the sun and moon you're tenacious!" Silver Star groaned. "Fine! But that thing is staying in a cell until I hear otherwise! Speaking of which, can somepony get me a rope before it wanders off again?"

Braeburn and Strong Heart turned to look back at the Changeling, only to find it had gotten a good distance away while they were arguing.

"I sure hope you're right about this Strong." Braeburn sighed as the two of them followed after it.

"Please, you act like this creature is capable of some great evil."

"With all the stories I've heard, I wouldn't put it past this thing."

Sometime Later

A carrier pigeon landed in the Canterlot guard tower carrying the message from Appleloosa. The guard on duty pulled the slip of paper from the pouch tied around the bird's leg, then read it once to himself as it flew away. He then had to read it again to make sure he read it right, then a third time because the second round hadn't convinced him. He then bolted out of the tower to find his commanding officer. The C.O. took the note and read it three times as well, before rushing off into the castle proper.

Celestia was currently in what she called "Day Court," a time when ponies from all over could come to her and ask for assistance or other wise lodge complaints. It wasn't the most exciting time of her schedule, but it was always nice to be able to hear from her subjects and see in what ways she might make their lives better. At the moment though she was being inundated by more than a few rumors about Changelings in the east country side. Nothing was confirmed, but it seemed as if enough ponies had noticed something suspicious for representatives to make the journey to Canterlot just to inform her.

The message from Appleloosa was brought to her at a momentary lull in the proceedings, and at first she thought it was simply another report of Changelings. However, the description of growths from the head and mumbled desires for the creature's "Mother" caught her attention.

"Lieutenant?" She said to the Guard who had brought the message.

"Yes your Majesty?"

"Send a response back to Appleloosa. They are to confine the Changeling until a detachment of guards can arrive and escort it to Canterlot. Inform Captain Strong Wind and tell him to send which ever soldiers he deems fit for the task, and tell them to bring a unicorn with knowledge of a quarantine spell."

"At once your Majesty!" The guard then bowed low and left her to her duties.

Unfortunately, Celestia spent the rest of the Day Court preoccupied in thought over this mysterious changeling. She was tempted to call it off and devote her time in the library, perhaps there were records of this "growth" she could find for reference.

'Is it some sort of sickness?' she wondered. 'such a catastrophic amount of damage to the head would cripple a pony. And who is this 'Mother?' The Queen? Why would one of her ilk be searching for her in Equestria? Unless of course she's IN Equestria now, which would indicate she's making some sort of movement against us.'

"Uhhh... your Majesty?" said one of the ponies before her, snapping her out of her daze.

"What? Oh... my apologies, I was lost in thought for a moment. Please continue."

'This will have to wait.' she thought, setting her mind back on the matters of her subjects and placing all other thoughts on the back burner until later.