• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 868 Views, 19 Comments

The Great and Daydreaming Trixie's Adventures - ShadeJak



The young Trixie Lulamoon has big dreams and an even bigger imagination that will make each day an adventure in itself!

  • ...
2
 19
 868

First Day

“Ha! No trick nor trap is a match for the Daring and Dutiful Trixie!” the ecstatic blue unicorn filly in the purple pith hat and vest cheered as she looked down at the gaping pit where a massive spiked ball had just recently rolled itself into.

The Temple of Death was left alone and empty for ages, until this hardy and valiant young explorer had chosen to test the many obstacles that had made it true to its name. Falling spikes, crumbling floors, and numerous other hazards had already failed against the filly’s keen eye and catlike agility and grace. None could compare to her, the Daring and Dutiful Trixie!

Amethyst eyes widened as their owner saw the doorway ahead, leading into the chamber where the legendary Tome of the Arcane sat bathed in a blue light, its pages were said to tell of the deeds and spells of many unicorns of old, invaluable to anypony so fortunate as to get their hooves on it.

Desire to charge forward and claim her prize, however, was halted by common sense, for while Trixie was indeed most daring, she was not without common sense. Every jump had been a leap of faith, every step a risk on her life. Were she to rush this, she would surely become another tragic addition to the countless bones strewn about of the many fools of the past who’d sought what she now came for.

Rubbing her chin with her hoof, the filly looked carefully at the doorway, its arch resembling a mouth of some kind with two glowing red eyes embedded atop it. Cocking her head, Trixie swatted a nearby bone towards it. In an instant, the eyes lit up, and three spikes came crashing down from the archway, embedding themselves into the floor beneath it for a second before retracting back up. Grinning, the brave filly floated out a smoke bomb from her vest pouch and tossed it at the archway, filling it with smoke and rushing safely past the blinded trap and into the sacred room. Before her, leading to the small set of stairs that the pedestal sat upon, was a small bridge of stone tiles, three scratches on the floor right at her hooves.

“This must be the Daring and Dutiful Trixie’s final puzzle!” she declared gleefilly, clapping her hooves and looking it over. “Hm, compelling yet Trixie has solved it in an instant!” Taking a crisp hop, Trixie landed on the third tile, and the third tile after, and the third after. Looking back, she nodded in satisfaction. Ascending the stairs, she stood before the book as it sat there on its pedestal and gazed up at the moonlight shining through the opening above, illuminating the preserved relic.

“Hm, in the future Trixie should perhaps seek rooftop openings and spare herself of frustrating traps!” she said with a sigh, using her magic to float a rope from her saddlebag and up to the opening in the roof, guiding it so it’d secure itself and provide easy escape. Her way out secure, Trixie floated the book from its place and into her waiting hooves.

“HA HA! Through cunning and magic, Equestria’s true greatest explorer has acquired the secret to ultimate unicorn knowledge!” the filly shouted proudly, holding up the tome.

TRIXIE! a terrible voice boomed from beneath her, startling the filly as the gateway she’d entered from smashed open, a towering stone pony with glowing red eyes glaring at her as it entered, torches all around lighting up instantly. “Go to sleep! You have your first day of school tomorrow!” it bellowed.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Sitting on her toybox, a blue unicorn filly dropped her new school textbook to the floor and tumbled down shortly after, smiling sheepishly at her visitor.

“Heh heh… sorry, dad!” she said, climbing back into bed as her father nodded and closed the door to her room once more.

Perhaps she had gotten a little carried away back there. Trixie couldn’t help it, though. Tomorrow was her first day at Celestia School for Gifted Unicorns and she couldn’t wait to begin the path to becoming the kind of pony that got admired and revered. She would start the following morning, and make the kind of impression a new student who had passed the entrance examination should.

~

A proud smirk on her face and her things all packed for the first day, Trixie strode proudly through the streets of Canterlot and through the gates of the esteemed Celestia School for Gifted Unicorns. A gifted unicorn… she liked that term. It said all she needed to know to feel good about herself! Trixie was gifted, and one day would be seen as more then that. Though some ponies stared at the filly as she walked past them, her muzzle pointed upward with pride as she ascended the stairs to the door, Trixie didn’t mind. Nopony could be blamed for being so overly excited about the next big step in their lives, after all!

…But one could be blamed for colliding with somepony else. Trixie fell backward, hurriedly getting her things, only to see the filly she’d walked into turn and glare at her.

“Um… Trixie is sorry, she did not see you…” Trixie said; trying to keep her dignity but the other unicorn just scoffed at her. She was older then Trixie, maybe by two years or so by her guess, with a rich yellow coat and piercing green eyes. Her mane and tail were a deep red with gold streaks running through them.

“Honestly, are you blind or just incredibly stupid?” the other filly asked.

“Trixie is not stupid! She made it into CSGU didn’t she? And Trixie is quite certain she has perfect vision as well!” Trixie protested indignantly at the older pony.

“Oh, so you’re new? Well that’s wonderful!” the second filly replied, her mood improving dramatically. “You know, kid. You have spunk, I can see with that little third-pony act you got going there when I got mad. I like that,” she continued, giving her a charming smile as she patted Trixie on the head.

“Um… thanks?” Trixie asked, a little surprised by the change in demeanor when a second ago the other filly seemed ready to beat her into the ground.

“My name’s Sunset Shimmer. I’m what you might call the top student around here. Flawless GPA. The one behind the little… plant incident that made the papers once?” she asked.

Trixie gasped. She couldn’t believe it! She had just run into… her! “You’re the Sunset Shimmer? As in Princess Celestia’s personal student! Tri—I-I mean, I’m so honored!”

Sunset gave her a warm smile. “The honor is mine, I know potential when I see it. Is there anything you need before I return to class?” she asked, making Trixie blush with glee that a pony as worthy of respect as her; respect Trixie hoped one day she, too, could be worthy of, was willing to help her after that embarrassing mistake.

“Uh… I need to find Ms. Mana Script’s class for Unicorn History of Equestria first,” she said nervously.

“Oh, you’re in luck, then! I know this school inside and out,” Sunset replied. “Once you go through these doors, take the stairs to your left, go up three floors, and then the first left turn, then second right, all the way down the hall to the last door on the right!” she explained.

“Thanks, so much! Trixie intends to make a first impression that will make everypony in this school love her!” Trixie declared, rushing into the doors and hurrying down the halls as per the directions she had been given. Grinning as she went up the stairs, Trixie imagined what it’d be like if she made it there first. If she did, she’d already get in good graces, and no doubt the other students would adore her and be expected to follow her example! This was the start of a great day!

Author's Note:

And first chapter, done. Figured I'd take a break from The Tunes Are A-Changin and just make a random, cute Equestria-based story.

As a key, a single ~ means a scene shift, while ~o~o~o~o~o~o~ will signify the beginning and ending of the fantasy sequence our hapless heroine goes through.