• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 2,011 Views, 49 Comments

The Main Attraction - Dimentio



King Dimentio? A simple Jester? Who or what is this dimension hopper really?

  • ...
2
 49
 2,011

A Brand New Trick?

Present Day, The Great and Powerful Trixie's PoV


I wandered through the Everfree, intent on finding something to spice up my act. I was completely dedicated to regaining the fame I once had, I suppose I couldn't blame Twilight Sparkle or her friends for the trouble I had gotten myself into, but I certainly wanted to...All I wanted was some way to return to the stage, preferably without losing control of myself, but at this point that'd be considered a luxury.

I had no idea how long I had been in the forest looking, but a quick glance through the trees told me that it was getting dark...I needed shelter, and fast. Given my past experience with this place, I knew that nighttime was incredibly dangerous, even for ponies as great and powerful as myself.

"Heheh...oh." I said nervously as I noticed that I had struck a pose during my inner monologue instead of pushing forward to the place that I had set up my wagon. It was in a place fairly deep in the forest that held the remains of some castle that seemed even older than the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. No, this castle was different. It felt as though I was the first pony there in a very long time.

I quickly entered my cart and lit the lantern inside. I hadn't really explored the interior of the ancient castle since the day I had found this place, I wasn't afraid of course, but something about the place put me on edge. The only reason I had been living here was the fact that all of the creatures of the forest seemed to avoid the place for some reason.

Trixie had-I mean I had never seen anywhere like it, I even tried to go back to Ponyville to report the find only to find myself back at the entrance to this strange place. As if something was forcing me to come back each time. Something was in there, and I wasn't sure if it was destiny calling me...or something a bit less malicious. I promised myself that I'd go in there some day, that I would just swallow my fears and just charge in there to find what lied in wait.

Why not right now? I wondered to myself. My curiosity was quickly becoming too much to handle as I used my magic to grab the lantern by my side and leave the wagon to venture into the dark ruins.

What I found was as disappointing as the place was creepy. Empty throne room, empty bedrooms, empty barracks, it really seemed like the whole place was just deserted. I didn't even see any bats, or signs that bats had ever inhabited the place...the whole thing just struck me as odd.

My lantern's light slowly began to fade as the oil within began to dwindle. I quickly cast a light spell to keep the area illuminated. As soon as the azure light crackled to life, the entire throne room began to tremble. I quickly retreated to a safe distance and watched as the room shifted to reveal a strange pedestal with what looked like a massive spellbook on it. The book had strange markings all over the cover, a few that I recognized as magical seals. The majority of them seemed to be faded and useless, but some of them glowed brightly with power.

I decided that I would find some way to open it, the magics within had to be older than the princesses themselves! I mean, what was there to lose?

"Alright Trixie, you know how to do this. Just a few wards, nothing that could ever stop the Great and Powerful Trixie!" I shouted as my horn glowed brightly, I cast a simple breaker spell at the book only for it to rebound.

The spell whizzed past me and harmlessly sizzled when it hit a wall. I noticed a few of the less powerful wards disappeared completely. My confidence renewed, I put a bit more energy into the next six spells until there was only one seal left. I eyed this one suspiciously as it didn't fade when I hit it with breaker spells.

With some trepidation, I approached the book and tapped the symbol only to find that it wasn't a trap. The seal looked like a strange glowing party mask, one side of it was white while the other side seemed like an endless void of darkness. I put a little bit of magic into the symbol, this time the mask's mouth opened into a devilish grin that only seemed to grow as I put more magic into it.

Suddenly, the book snapped open and the pages were revealed to me. I must have read for hours once I saw the types of magics within. These were spells that even Twilight Sparkle would be unable to find any type of reference to in her massive library...I grinned as that thought entered my mind. I quickly flipped back to the beginning of the tome attempted one of the spells on the first page. The spell was supposed to bend the fabric of reality itself in order to make an item disappear completely. As I poured my strength into the spell I saw a strange panel envelope the throne. The panel slowly turned until the other side was revealed. The throne was completely gone, replaced with air from another dimension if the description of the spell was to be believed.

"You really shouldn't mess with other people's things you know." An obviously annoyed voice sounded from beside me causing me to leap backwards and begin galloping out of the room as quickly as I could.

"Trixie is so sorry! She didn't mean to mess with your book or your throne!" I cried as I ran. Suddenly, a golden box surrounded me and cut off my path.

"Now now, I would never harm the one that undid my banishment." The voice said as the silhouette of a short figure appeared before me, the only feature that truly stood out was the glowing yellow left eye as it stepped forward. "I believe you deserve a reward."

"A...reward?" I asked, my brow now raised. I wiped the tears from my eyes with my hoof. "What kind of reward?"

"Hmmm." The strange being said as he snapped his fingers. We found ourselves back in the throne room. "Are you perhaps interested in...magic?"

The strange thing snapped his fingers and the throne appeared where it had been before. It had taken everything I could muster to make that throne disappear, and this thing just snapped his fingers to bring it back. Wait, fingers? there weren't many creatures with fingers, let alone magical fingers. The only things that she knew of were draconequus, and the only one of those left in existence was Discord.

"Yes, very much so." I said eagerly. "Anything you can teach me must be amazing."

"I won't simply teach you, that would be too bothersome." The thing said. "I've only just returned and I fear that I may require rest."

"What?" I said flaring up slightly. "Trixie thought you said that you would reward me?"

"And I will, that book over there is now yours." He said with a yawn. "Use it well Trixie, I shall be watching."

"Really?" I asked. "Wait, how did you know Trixie's name?"

The being's glowing cheerful looking eye suddenly lowered into a look of disbelief and annoyance.

"I guessed." He said. "The many times that you proclaimed your name did not factor into it whatsoever."

"Strange, Trix-" I began only to be cut off as a glowing box ensnared my mouth.

"How do you think people would react if I went around saying; Dimentio had no idea that you were so foolish." He said condescendingly as he wagged his finger at me. "If we are to travel together, I will not have you referring to yourself every time you speak."

The box disappeared and I stared terrified at Dimentio.

"Traveling together?" I asked incredulously "Tri-" I paused as his eye glared at me menacingly. "I don't travel with anyone."

"Trixie doesn't have a choice." Dimentio said.

We sat in awkward silence for a few moments.

"So...your name is Dimentio?" I asked trying to lean against my glowing prison to get a good look at this mysterious being. What I saw, defied all of my expectations. He seemed to be wearing the mask that I had seen on the cover of the book. The yellow and purple garb he wore that matched his strange hat. Whatever this thing was, it wasn't of this world.

"However did you guess?" He responded with a sarcastic tilt of his head.

Author's Note:

New Chapter, time to get this stuff really going. Much will happen soon. I would still really like to have an editor to keep this all polished, I find that it always helps to have someone look through everything a few times.