• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 1,469 Views, 136 Comments

The Wayfarers - TheFictionAddiction



Motley outcasts, dejected mages, and sordid warriors find themselves on a collision course with destiny in this budding epic. Set in an Equestria wounded by Tirek's bout for power, monsters of all shapes and sizes work to destroy a paper thin peace.

  • ...
3
 136
 1,469

PreviousChapters Next
Act 2, Chapter 29: Oh, Canterlot Nights

The weeks leading up to the Equestrian Landsmeet left Canterlot nearly splitting at the seams. Ponies of all kinds swept into the capital in tides. The first wave was the politicians. Lavish stagecoaches rolled through the main strip, flags emblazoned with their city’s crests streaming overhead.

Ponies from far and wide rode the politician's backtrail. Historians crowded in cafes and libraries, waiting to glimpse the start of a new era in Equestria, while entrepreneurs tilled the rich soil of this booming city. The taverns were practically overrun by the swarms of minstrels and bards that trickled into Canterlot.

Cultures clashed in a splatter painting of personalities and ideas, with all of the colors washing out into the streets of Canterlot. Nighttime was alive with music, conversation, and the smell of cooking food. From atop the reaches castle Canterlot, it looked as if the city had become a sea of fireflies.

Twilight Sparkle breathed in deep, savored the aromas of the delicious fares. Her head began to swim with it all.

Twilight was tempted to leap from her balcony, to glide down and join all the festivities below. Her friends would be among them… her happy, merry friends. This week would be the first in months where they could all just relax and enjoy each other’s company.

“And here I am,” Twilight whispered. “Shut up in my room, pouring over a stupid book-”

She frowned suddenly. “Sweet Celestia, it’s just like I'm a filly again.”

Disgusted with herself, Twilight pushed off the railing and trudged back into her room. The glass door leading to the balcony light up as Twilight’s magic closed it behind her.

The room was dimly lit, a few candles placed about like sentinels. Twilight levitated one towards her. Its watchful warmth comforted her. She brought the candle over to her bed and set it on her nightstand. Twilight flopped onto the bed, sinking into a mattress as soft as a cloud.

Dragging her pillow closer, Twilight buried her face in it. Seconds passed in forceful darkness. Only when her chest tightened and her lungs complained did Twilight finally surface. As her eyes opened, they immediately went to the book sitting next candle on the nightstand.

Twilight stared at it, almost transfixed. Her horn glowered as she picked it up. It laid comfortably on the pillow, just over the imprint of Twilight’s face.

She touched the cover gingerly. The double-edged sword twinkled beneath Twilight’s hoof. One side of the sword shone with the tenderness of a rising sun, while the other glittered like moonlight skittering over water.

Two halves… one whole…

“You can’t be real,” she whispered. “No... you shouldn’t be. Numerous courses in Equestrian History say so. Yet… here you are.”

Twilight closed her eyes and dove into an ocean of tumultuous thoughts. To say it was overwhelming would have been an understatement.

Lists upon lists of tasks stood at attention like battalions. There was a fleet of ponies that she needed to meet before the Landsmeet, not to mention a full library’s worth of papers and documents that would have to be read over.

Then there was this book… this strange and impossible book. It was the candied cherry atop an already toppling cake of cluster fuck.

And yet… it was amidst this mental clutter that Twilight began to feel herself assert control over the situation. Lists were a specialty of her’s, after all. Years of studying in Canterlot and organizing the wonderful mess at Golden Oaks had breed an uncanny ability to juggle task.

Comforted for the time being, Twilight nestled herself under the covers and opened the book. Flipping to the page she had bookmarked nearly a week ago, Twilight’s eyes fell immediately upon the passage that had started this downward spiral:

‘The risks of negotiation had become too high. Tyrion’s brood were picking apart our reconnaissance parties like carrion. We couldn’t afford to lose anymore lives, but control over the Seripose mines were crucial to passage to the North.

Captain Frostbite and party of Sentinels were sent to deal with the brood. While I doubted their methods, I couldn’t deny they’re results. What struck me the most was that the Princesses trusted them with the-”

An artillery shell went off. Twilight’s bedroom door was flung open with a bang! Twilight sprung up from the bed, screaming. She spilled out onto the floor as a tangled mess of limbs, blankets, and feathers. The cry was cut short as the fall knocked the breath out of her.

“Ugh, sweet Celestia,” Twilight groaned. Her sides ached worst than after a Pinkie Pie ice cream party.

A shadow fell over Twilight. She looked up to see her intruder and was met with a wide, toothy grin.

“Twilight, you need to come see this! There’s this band playing in the great hall, but I swear they must be some kind of circus act or something! There’s a pony breathing fire, another swallowing swords, and even one-”

Spike stopped. Twilight, still gift wrapped within her covers, was glaring up at him. The tiny dragon chuckled weakly.

“Heh… sorry, I probably didn't need to burst in like that. Here, let me help you out.”

Seconds later, Twilight was freed from her cotton straight jacket.

“Thanks for the help,” Twilight said. “Don’t worry about it. Just be more carefully from now on.”

Twilight levitated the covers back onto the bed and smoothed them back into place. Spike started to help her, then paused. Something on the floor caught his eye. Bending down, he came back up with a book clutched in his tiny claws.

“Wow, too cool,” he exclaimed, voice hushed. Spike ran a claw along the sword printed across the cover.

Bed made, Twilight turned back around. Her face went pallid when she saw what Spike was holding.

“Where’d you get that!”

Spike didn’t even have time to answer before Twilight’s magic ripped the back away from him. The sword glittered in the candlelight for an instant before vanishing underneath Twilight’s pillow.

Spike’s astonishment passed quickly, and was replaced with agitation. He propped two fists on his hips like a disapproving mother.

“Twilight, you haven’t been up here reading all day, have you? You said that you were feeling sick and needed to rest! You weren’t lying, were you?”

Twilight sat beside her bed and massaged her temples. “No, Spike, I wasn’t lying. I’ve been asleep for most of the day, but when I couldn’t get back to sleep I got restless. It was just a bit of light reading.”

At that, Spike’s agitation instantly softened into curiosity. “Hmm… Say, what were you reading? That cover looked pretty sweet.”

Twilight lowered her hooves to studied Spike for a moment. The tiny dragon fidgeted under such scrutinizing attention.

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

Twilight chewed her bottom lip. “I really shouldn’t say, Spike. It’s…”

Twilight thought for a moment, then smiled as an idea flickered into life.

“It’s something that the Princess wants me to study up on before the Landsmeet. Kind of a sensitive subject, which is why I haven’t said anything about it.”

“Really? Explains why you’ve been so research-y lately… or at least, more research-y than normal.”

Spike shrugged. “Well, it’s nothing to me long as you’re not skipping out on us.”

“You know I wouldn’t do that.”

“Yeah…” Spike’s face lit up like a Hearth’s Warming tree. “But you’re feeling better, right? There’s this band in that great hall-”

Spike rattled on, almost as if nothing unusual had happened. Twilight listened enthusiastically enough, and even allowed the tiny dragon to drag her out of the room. For the remainder of the night, however, Twilight’s mind would remain restless.

When was the last time I’ve lied to, Spike? Twilight thought as they made their way through the winding hallways of Canterlot.

Well, it wasn’t necessarily a lie... pretty disinengues, though.

Twilight would have most of the night to make up her mind on the matter.

****

The great hall of Castle Canterlot was a social beehive of activity. Large round tables populated the room by the dozens, and almost all of them appeared to be filled to maximum capacity. Not since Shining Armor’s wedding had Twilight seen so many ponies within the Castle.

Twilight and Spike weaved through a throng of tuxedo clad stallions and cocktail dress wearing mares. It looked as if the castle’s entire staff was on duty tonight. Even the head maid, the prim and proper Chasset, was out hustling amongst the swarm. She was barking orders one second, then making pleasant small talk with city council members from Fillydelphia the next. Chasset was a mare of many talents.

“There they are!” Spike said. He pointed to a table halfway across the room.

Twilight squinted through the crowd. It only took a second for her to spot the familiar faces. As they drew closer, a pink figure stood up in her seat and gave an exaggerated wave.

“Hey, you guys, we’re over here! Here!”

Pinkie Pie’s shrill voice broke the classy ambiance like brittle china. A few heads glanced her, only to raise an upturned nose a second later. There were even a few looks from the circular stage at the hall’s center. A few musicians glanced up from their sheet music, clearly unhappy with the disruption.

“Dang it, Pinkie Pie, not so loud.” Applejack sat right next to the pink party pony and was currently nursing a sore eardrum. “I’m pretty sure they can see us.”

Rainbow Dash, a few seats away, stifled a giggle. “Think there might be a few ponies in Ponyville who didn’t hear you, Pinkie.”

Pinkie Pie beamed. “Oh, I could get louder if I need to!”

Just as a Rainbow Dash brightened, Applejack brought down swift justice. “No more yellin’! I swear, you’re worse than Apple Bloom at a rodeo.”

“No need to fuss, dears, they’re heading this way,” said Rarity, giving her own little wave. “One of us should get a chair for Twilight.”

“Yeah, I’m on it.” Rainbow Dash stood and sauntered over to a nearby table of four.

Across from Rarity, Fluttershy was already scooting her chair closer to Pinkie Pie. “I’d really like it if Twilight sat next to me. I want to tell her about our visit to the hanging gardens!”

Twilight and Spike arrived at the table just as Rainbow Dash made it back with the chair.

Twilight smiled. “Thanks, Dash, I appreciate it.”

Rainbow Dash fluttered back to her own seat. “No biggie. Just glad to see you up and about.”

Spike wasn’t in his seat for more than two second before he had twisted himself around. Hands on the back of the seat and knees digging into the velvet cushion, he craned his neck to try and see the stage.

“Aww, where’s the jugglers? And the fire breathers? Why are they playing this slow, waltz-y crap?”

Rarity’s easy smile turned into a hurt pout at Spike’s retort, but she chose to remain silent.

Applejack ran a hoof across the top of her hat. The place that should’ve been reserved for a plate of food was instead occupied by the farm pony’s weathered stetson.

“They stopped all that a minute after you cut out. One of the fire breathers had a… an accident.”

“He puked fire!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

“Yeeeah. Thankfully, his crew kept him from doin’ any damage, but they decided to cut out anyways. Probably a good thing, too. Folks weren’t lookin’ to happy.”

“The snobs are probably afraid they’d catch fire,” Rainbow Dash said. She was listlessly pushing around a plateful of sweet potato casserole with her for.

“With all the hair spray and clashing egos in here, I’m surprised the fire marshal hasn’t made a house call yet.”

A forkful of spinach leaves and baby tomatoes stopped halfway to Rarity’s mouth. She glanced at Rainbow Dash, clearly taken aback.

“There’s no need to be so judgmental, darling. Sure, there might be few ponies who are a bit… er… extra tonight, but it's only because it is a special occasion.”

Rainbow Dash snickered. “Just how special can it be? There only one princess who’s showed up, and it looks as if it’s against her will.”

Twilight straightened in her seat. “Wait, what? Not so! I’m still just a little under the weather, is all. That headache was trying to work its way to a full on migrain.”

“Maybe you should get some more rest,” Fluttershy chimed in. “We hated that you missed out today, but you can’t afford to be sick, Twilight.”

“Thanks, but I should be fine. Besides, I want to hear what you all did today. Did you get a chance to see the hanging gardens, Fluttershy?”

The meek pegasus’s wings fluttered excitedly. Fluttershy was happy to regale Twilight of her time at the hanging gardens, and Twilight was simply happy for the distraction. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie resumed a previous conversation, while Applejack and Spike simply listened in discomforted silence. The only one who appeared really attuned to the classy madness all about them was Rarity. She nibbled at her salad and soaked in the velvety smoothness of the Canterlot Orchestra.

A few minutes of amiable peace passed. It ended when Twilight felt someone hover over her shoulder. She twisted in her seat and found a young, neatly dressed serving mare.

She smiled sheepishly. “I’m terribly sorry for the wait, Princess. We weren’t sure if you were joining us tonight.”

The serving mare’s smile was as taut as a string. Twilight thought that it might snap at any second and split the poor girl’s face in half.

“There’s really no need for apologies, it’s obvious that you’re pretty busy tonight. To tell you the truth, I’m not even that hungry.”

“You’re too kind, Princess. I can assure you it won’t happen again. Now, can I get you something?”

“Just some water, please… Unless you girls need any-”

As Twilight spoke, the serving mare reached into the front pocket of her uniform. She produced a folded sheet of paper. Cautiously, she laid it in front of Twilight.

Twilight broke of to look at the paper. She blinked, befuddled, then glanced at the mare. “I’m sorry… what is this?”

“It’s… it’s a message, ma’am.”

“From who?”

“The... sender said that it’s of a private matter, Princess.”

“So what, you can’t even tell her who it’s from?” Rainbow Dash asked, her head propped up on one hoof. “Sheesh, you’d think this place was carpeted with eggshells by the way she’s tiptoeing around you, Twi.”

The serving mare blushed. “I’m just following their wishes, ma’am… and they wish that I didn’t say anything aloud...”

“Of course you are, dear, and good on you for being so discreet,” Rarity said consolingly. She threw a dirty look at Rainbow Dash and added, “What has gotten into you tonight?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged and smirked. “Must be how stuffy it is in here.”

As they went back and forth, Twilight opened the letter. The message was short, written in rigid, almost frantic hoof-writing. She slumped as she read. Anxiety bubbled in Twilight’s lower belly like indigestion.

As Twilight finished, she realized that the serving mare still stood nearby. When Twilight looked at her, she couldn’t help blush again.

“Do you have a response for them, Princess?”

“Do they… want a response?”

Though the serving mare said nothing, her eyes practically pleaded for Twilight to say yes. After a moment of consideration, Twilight nodded.

“I’ll see them tonight... but not right now. I haven’t been feeling well today, and right now I want to spend time with my friends.”

The serving mare lit up like a lantern. “Of course, Princess! They wanted me to tell you that they’d be around till we started cleaning up, so there’s no hurry.”

Twilight only nodded. The serving mare turned quickly, and was about to rush off when something else dawned on her.

“Sorry, I almost forgot… can I get you anything?”

“Pomegranate juice will be, thank you.”

“Yes, Princess.”

Alone with her friends again, Twilight tried to rejoin conversation with her friends. However, all the troubles she had shrugged off for the evening had come sidling back.

The letter laid in front of her like the discarded skin of some ugly snake. Just being around it made her feel uneasy. She’d have to ask the serving mare to take it away when she returned.

It wasn’t long before curiosity got the best of Twilight’s friends.

“So, who’s the letter from, Twilight,” Pinkie Pie asked cheerily. “Wait, lemme guess…. a secret admirer?”

Rarity rather liked this idea. Sipping from a wine glass, she mulled over the prospect.

“Hmm. How interesting. And you even said that you were going to see them later tonight... Perhaps it’s some strapping stallion from far across Equestria, who’s traveled long and long to meet our beautiful and intelligent princess…. kind of sounds like a novel from Penny Dearful, doesn’t it?”

Applejack smirked. “And I wonder why that’s the first thing you go with.”

“What can I say,” Rarity chuckled, “this sensual music and soft lighting sets a rather romantic mood, don’t you think? What a better setting to meet a secret admirer than here?”

“I guess. Or maybe it’s because you're on your second glass of wine.”

No one could help laugh at Rarity’s exaggerated gasp of indignation.

“If only it was a secret admirer,” Twilight said, quickly growing somber. “I could probably deal with a one-on-one with some awkward stallion better than… well-”

Twilight prodded the letter. “-this.”

“Who is it from,” Fluttershy asked.

“It’s from a stallion named Pendleton Falls.”

The party blinked, puzzled.

Applejack tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Why’s that name sound so familiar?”

Mimicking her gesture, Pinkie Pie added, “And why does it make me think of vaseline and a pack of weasels?”

“The name should sound familiar. It was all over the news only a month ago.” Twilight stared at the letter. “He’s the mayor of Detrot.”

Faces across the table crinkled in repulsed recognition.

“Great,” Rainbow Dash muttered. “I can only imagine what Equestria’s biggest con artist wants with a princess.”

PreviousChapters Next