• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 1,468 Views, 136 Comments

The Wayfarers - TheFictionAddiction



Motley outcasts, dejected mages, and sordid warriors find themselves on a collision course with destiny in this budding epic. Set in an Equestria wounded by Tirek's bout for power, monsters of all shapes and sizes work to destroy a paper thin peace.

  • ...
3
 136
 1,468

PreviousChapters Next
Act 2, Chapter 35: Fatigue

There was no one to stand in their way as they left the throne room. Since Big Macintosh already had a passenger, it was left to Apple Bloom and Granny Smith to help Grimes along. With a leg swung around each of their necks, the mares were practically dragging the stallion.

“D-don’t,” Grimes said, feebly wriggling. “I can walk.”

“Oh, just shut up,” Apple Bloom hissed.

“Yeah, you’re heavy enough without squirmin’,” Granny Smith agreed.

Grimes fell silent. Twisting his head around, he spat out a wad of spit and blood. His face was a bruised overcast of emotion. Sandalwood should have just knocked his block off. A coma would've been preferable to this sinking feeling of uselessness.

The group shuffled out into a hallway. Voices echoed through the castle, seemingly from everywhere. Alabaster led the way and the rest shuffled along behind him. The Apples glanced at one another, all seeming to ask the same question.

Granny Smith finally raised her voice. “Hey! Just where the hay are you leadin’ us?”

Before Alabaster could answer, a dark figure materialized amidst the group. “There’s an empty room on the other side of this floor. It’s well away from everyone else.”

The mares shrieked, almost dumping Grimes over. Macintosh danced back till his flank was pressed against the wall. Midnight Dreary only stared back at them bleakly. His usual consciousness felt buried beneath a mile of exhaustion.

“The heck are you?” Apple Bloom cried. “Where’d you even come from!”

Midnight frowned. “I’ve been here the whole time. None of you noticed me?”

Now halfway down the hall, Alabaster called back. “He’s with me. Just keep moving!”

The Apples were slow to follow, but follow they did. Questions were held for the time being. The craziness felt par for the course by this point. First Whisper, then Alabaster, and now this dark fellow? Still, they made sure to keep Midnight in their peripheral.

Midnight sensed their unease, but paid it no mind. He cared more for the creature draped across Macintosh’s back. Midnight couldn’t keep himself from staring at the changeling. Tuffs of her pink mane had become untucked and now hung around her neck like a scarf.

So that’s Whisper... What had that mean pony called her? A bug?

Midnight found himself both profoundly fascinated and confused. For the first time in weeks, Midnight found himself really questioning just who had joined up with.

*****

The door banged open to complete darkness. Alabaster groped along the wall before finding a light switch. He flinched as the lights came on.The room was small, with an odd array of furniture. Four armchairs, a coffee table, a cabinet, and nothing more.

“The bastard wasn’t lying,” Alabaster muttered. Turning, he said louder, “Good find, Midnight. Alright, everyone, get her in here.”

Entering, the group went about accommodating themselves to the room.

Letting Grimes try and walk on his own, Apple Bloom left his side to inspected the nearby cabinets. “What the heck kind of place is this?”

“Sitting room, maybe,” Grimes said, hobbling forward. “Kinda small, though.”

Apple Bloom snorted. “Sittin’ room? Why’s Twilight need a whole room just for sittin’?”

“Doesn’t matter what it is,” Alabaster said, motioning to the coffee table. “We’re gonna set Whisper down there. But before that-”

Alabaster went over to one of the chairs and pulled off its cushion. Glancing over his shoulder, Alabaster looked to Midnight.

“Help me gather up some cushions. We’re about to turn this table into a bed.” Then to himself, Alabaster added, “Already destroyed some noble’s table. What’s ruining a couple of cushions?”

Midnight sidled pass Grimes, giving him a polite nod. In a minute’s time, Alabaster and Granny Smith were standing over the unconscious Whisper. The changeling laid comfortably on the makeshift cot.

The rest of the Apple’s had gathered at the opposite side of the room. Apple Bloom looked over Macintosh’s gashes while Grimes fought to keep himself awake in one of the armchairs.

Midnight stayed by the door, his back against the wall. He watched everything calm, impassive eyes. Midnight would wait until he was needed. Until then, he feared that he would only get in the way.

Alabaster massaged his temple, trying his best to calm the throbbing vein there. Little Whisper’s bandages were soaked clean through with bright clean blood. It was a wonder that the dressings held.

“I’m guessing one of you knows first aid?”

Granny Smith nodded. “Yep. I’m the one who put them bandages on her in the first place.”

“I helped!” Apple Bloom piped in. Neither Alabaster nor Granny Smith seemed to hear her.

Alabaster brushed his mane back, trying to keep it pinned behind his ears. “Say, what are the chances that there’s more injured here?”

Granny Smith studied him gravely. “All too likely, I’d guess. Why do ya ask, sonny?”

“Because if there’s injured, there might be someone tending to them… someone who’s had time to ransack this dollhouse for supplies.”

“Sounds likely, I reckon,” Granny Smith said, rubbing the back of her head. Alabaster nodded once before turning away.

“Now hold up! Where the hay are you going?”

Without stopping, Alabaster answered back, “We’ve got injured, and thus need something for them. I’m going to go get it.”

Granny Smith chewed on her lower lip. The image of Sandalwood lying broken and buried beneath a pile of rubble hadn’t left her mind. Granny Smith wasn’t about to try and stop the pegasus, but she feared for anyone who might.

Pausing at the door, Alabaster glanced down at his friend. Midnight held his gaze, but Alabaster could see the stallion’s lips twitching at the corners.

“You look like you’ve got something to say, buddy.”

Though his tone was calm, Midnight saw the urgency in his gold ringed eyes.

“Things are still crazy out there, Alabaster. I can...” Midnight glanced at the shadows boiling around his hooves. Though the pool had shrunk, it had followed him dutifully. The voices trickling through it were little more than whispers.

“I can hear them all rushing around. They’re nearly in a panic.”

Alabaster smirked. “Fine by me. Better to take what we need when everyone’s too busy pissing themselves to stop me.”

“That’s… I guess a fair point.”

Alabaster only nodded. A second later the door snapped shut as he left. Midnight stared after him, mulling the situation over. How long would it take for Alabaster to find what he was looking for? More so, what if the pony who had it didn’t give it to him.

It didn’t take long for Midnight to come to a decision. A second later, the door rattled closed again as Midnight followed after Alabaster.

Rolling back his head, Grimes breathed a sigh of relief. "Holy cow, did it just get cooler in here?"

Author's Note:

Going to wrap things up in Ponyville before rejoining Speckled Band and Spiera. Figured this would make it less confusing. Still need to get the next chapter from page to screen, but I'm hoping to have it up by Friday, if not sooner. Will see you then. Much love.
Now accepting tips on my Ko-fi page.

PreviousChapters Next