• Published 27th Aug 2014
  • 4,165 Views, 141 Comments

Devil May Cry: A New Battlefield - Lazy_



(PS: Takes place after the events of Devil May Cry 4. DmC has no relevance to this story) A portal to Tartarus is opened in Equestria. The demon hunters and their new enemies start their battle for dominance in a new arena.

  • ...
15
 141
 4,165

(Short) Of Devils And Ponies

Vergil stood in his place, silent at the huge round table in a large room lit only by candlelight as he listened in on the chatter of the demons around him. The table was lit brightly enough, but the area behind them faded quickly into pitch black shadows. The demons around him varied from small and agile elites of the hordes, to big powerful beasts who served as 'one devil army's to the Nightmare's force. Vergil thought that since they were able to bring him back from the dead, that they may have been able to salvage a few of the other major demons slain from his world too. However he was surprised to not recognise a single one, however he saw one that seemed to recognise him.

Ironically placed at the opposite location across the table from him, the giant grotesque toad-like demon narrowed it's eyes at him, noticing his form and silver hair. It wasn't long before Vergil turned to return the gesture with a cold hard stare, making the demon revert it's gaze back to the empty space at the front of the table where an ornate chair was placed. The sound of metal on stone began to echo as the Nightmare rounded the corner of the corridor and walked into the room. All turned silent as she entered, and they began to bow. But not Vergil, he bowed to no-one, he was working with the Nightmare not for her. A few demons looked nervously towards the still upright Vergil as he returned their stares.

"All rise." The Nightmare said, rolling her eyes at Vergil, who didn't react. The rest of the demons went back to standing and a brief period of silence followed, before Nightmare spoke again. "I have gathered you all here as you are the best I have in my army, and I have a few tasks to give out to a lucky selection of you. But first I feel I must state the situation at hoof and welcome a few additions to our group.

"We have obtained three new members recently and I would like you to welcome them all and get to know them, you may be working together very soon. First is Clockwork..." She pointed over to what seemed like a pony at first, but on close inspection was anything but. It was a machine, that was about as high as the nightmare, but no horn or wings adorned it's body. Dark metallic purple plates protected the insides of it's body, but the armour appeared in-complete. Sections of it's exterior were missing in places and it was possible to see glowing mechanical workings, wires and parts of it's metal skeleton. Lastly were the bright orange eyes. Something wasn't quite right about them. He could see quite clearly the thing was a machine, but the eyes almost radiated demonic energy. Vergil couldn't tell what it was about it that caught his attention about it, but somehow the machine felt almost... alive. "Clockwork came to us about completing a goal of his, and we've agreed on a deal which helps us both mutually.

"Next is Bael over there." She pointed to the giant demonic Ice-Toad. "Bael has joined us for revenge against the demon hunters whom he perished to." Bael's thick hide was a pale but pearly white, and sharp horns of ice formed on his head and back like a protective sheet of armour meant to injure anyone who might ambush him in his slow movements. His main form of attack looked to be his huge jaws, as they were lined with two rows of large teeth that could tear through any organic substance. But possibly the most interesting thing about him was the two feelers attached to his head. At first glance they just looked like normal feelers, but on further inspection Vergil noticed they seemed to breath and shift independently of the main body's jurisdiction.

"And lastly our final newcomer, Vergil." All eyes turned to him and he felt the weight of them digging into him, he wasn't used to being inspected so closely by so many at once. He kept his usual calm but stoic demeanor without much trouble. "Vergil was brought back from the dead by Sombra, we have him to thank for this contribution. At first I thought it to be a waste of time, but after he proved to be proficient in combat I had a change of heart. He's stronger than he looks."

"Ape is nothing! Calydoln squash ugly monkey like bug!" A nearby demon shouted, grinning wildly as Vergil turned his cold stare toward him. The beast was a gigantic brown furred boar-like creature, it was at least twelve feet tall with large tusks rising from his bottom jaw like absurdly large canines, and a set of demonic horns rose from the back of his head. Sparks emanated from the beast's nostrils as he snorted and flames on the bushy tip of his tail burned fiercely bright, giving some illumination around him. Vergil wasn't surprised at it's lack of linguistic skills as it seemed to be all about the muscle for him. Demons tended to be more about sheer strength and power than agility. True, having a large amount of power is always great, but useless if your opponent can dodge it. "Why does monkey not respond? Is monkey scared of Calydon?" He said with no small amount of pride.

"Afraid? Of a brute like you?" Vergil retorted, harrumphing and adjusting his scarf. "How repulsive." Obviously Calydoln was not pleased with this response and raised his massive forelegs, snorting with anger.

"Calydoln weaker than no other! Calydoln crush yo-"

"SILENCE!" Nightmare yelled to stop the fight before it happened. "Calydoln, I do not tolerate such disobedience among my underlings!" The boar retreated into a vulnerable looking state, knowing what was good for him. He was not about to anger his master. "Good. Maybe now we can progress, yes?" Calydoln nodded slowly, causing the Nightmare to smile in satisfaction. She loved knowing her sub-ordinates feared her, it gave her a sense of fulfillment. After all, she isn't called 'Nightmare' for nothing.

"We are in a bad situation, my previous plan to render the elements of harmony has failed. Doppelganger has been killed by the demon hunters." The demons began to chat, sharing shocked expressions until Nightmare rose her hoof into the air, signalling them to be quiet. "Worse still, my spies tell the element of harmony he possessed has retained a portion of his power, and has ascended to become a halfling. This pony by the name of 'Rainbow Dash' poses a threat to our operations, as she also happens to be the element of Loyalty." Another round of conversation followed by a quiet signal. "This pegasus will protect the other elements at all costs, we need to get rid of her. Any ideas?"

"We should kill her first!" A demon out of sight to Vergil said, probably behind one of the larger demons. A round of agreements sounded but Vergil knew better.

"Trying to kill her so soon would be unwise. It would attract attention to our spies and the interest of the princesses. I hear they are very powerful, enough to rival our strength from the records I have read." A few nodding heads confirmed his idea had been taken in by the demons at the table.

"Then what do you suggest we do, Vergil?" The Nightmare responded curiously.

"Lead her away from her friends. We can make her believe she is useless in defense of her home, and must join the demon hunters. This would leave the elements of harmony useless as they must all be used in unison." He said. The Nightmare smiled for a second before it was wiped away and she shook her head.

"I have tried that, she is too loyal to her friends." Vergil nodded at her comment while thinking.

"Then damage her security, make her angry. She will come looking for us." He finished. The Nightmare paused for a second in thought. Then she had an idea, making her grin in anticipation. If this worked out then it would also help with a second task she had in mind.

"I think I have a solution."