• Published 27th Aug 2014
  • 4,164 Views, 141 Comments

Devil May Cry: A New Battlefield - Lazy_



(PS: Takes place after the events of Devil May Cry 4. DmC has no relevance to this story) A portal to Tartarus is opened in Equestria. The demon hunters and their new enemies start their battle for dominance in a new arena.

  • ...
15
 141
 4,164

Demon Hunter-Hunters

*SLAM*

Rainbow Dash took off into the air immediately and set off toward Ponyville "Oh my gosh! The girls have to hear about this!" She flew through the air at lightning fast speed and in no time at all, the town started to come into view. She was going to get her friends and come back for this 'Nero'. A large smile grew on her face at the thought of payback against the demon hunter. She was at cruising speed and making good time on Ponyville when she was stopped by the sound of an explosion in the distance.

*BOOM*

Although it was faint, it didn't sound that far away. She stopped flying and instead opted to hover so that she could turn in the direction that the sound came from. She gulped as she saw a expanse of dark forestry erupt with a flock of birds. Hundreds upon hundreds of black birds squawked and took off into the sky, creating a big black shadow that moved over the woodland with an eerie gliding motion.

*BOOM*, *BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG*

The next explosion was followed by a series of smaller and higher pitch sounds. They weren't quite explosions, but whatever they were, it wasn't good. She set off back on her original course to Twilight's library, she had a gut feeling that something big was about to go down, and setting her track record straight with Nero was going to have to wait.


The demon hunters stood back to back, preparing themselves for an attack. The forest they were situated in was thick and contained little distinguishable features to use as landmarks. After barely 5 minutes of walking, they were already being surrounded by a group of the local demons.

"So there's, what... a pack of 10 big wooden wolves?" Lady loaded a rocket into the launcher and rested it on her shoulder, ready to fire.

"We can take em'." Dante span Rebellion in his hands until it reached ready position, spearing ahead and pointing at his part of the pack. "Let's show these dogs who's boss!" He waved the sword at the dogs like he was taunting them.

"Don't start celebrating too early, Dante" Trish warned him. "You never know when one of your enemies has a card up their sleeve."

"Yeah? Well then I guess I'll just have to start cutting off their sleeves to expose those cards! RRAARRR!" He ran forward, directly at the closest wolf, sword raised. The wolf leaped at him, teeth bared and claws raised, ready to maul him into a meal fit for any demon. But Dante dropped down, sliding on his side so that the wolf passed him over-head. He took the opportunity and swung at a hind leg, slicing it clean off. When it staggered back he struck at it's neck and decapitated it with one clean swing.

Meanwhile Lady fired off her rocket at a section of the pack and blasted the two wolves closest into splinters as two from behind ran in to take their place. Covering the pure-blood human while she Reloaded the launcher, Trish engaged them swiftly.

The wolf slashed at her but she dodged around the side and rammed a razor into it's shoulder and dragging downwards, slicing a large gash in it's leg. It howled and retreated away in hopes of escape from it's attacker. However Trish was quick on the case and kart-wheeled onto the top of it's body.

Lady finished reloading and fired off another rocket at the wolf paws, blasting in into the air. But not before Trish could leap away from the explosion and shoot the beast in mid-air. She performed a back-flip for style and landed perfectly on top of the last wolf's head. Her landing stunned it and while it was dazed, she rammed Luce and Ombra into it's eyes and fired.

The two bullets, charged with demonic power, met in the middle of it's skull causing an explosion big enough for Trish to use as a catapult to fling herself into the air and land next to Lady.

While the other two fought, Dante was left to contend with another three of the wolves. The first charged him head on and Dante flinged Rebellion into it's face, the sheer force of the blow caused the front of it's body to bend backwards. The second tried to jump over it's fallen comrade to take Dante by surprise, but Dante ran up and kicked the handle of his sword.

The blade span viciously and flew into the air, cutting the jumping wolf in half. Dante leaped after the blade and caught it mid-spin, landing on the ground behind his victims with immense grace. The final wolf stood before him, looking unsure about how to deal with such a powerful foe.

"So you're a thoughtful one, eh?" He asked the wolf, but he didn't get much of a reply and so he let out a 'Humph' and rested Rebellion on his shoulder. Dante stood, sword in hand, waiting for the dog to make a move.

It began to strafe and started making a circle around him. He watched it's movements closely, they were methodical and thought out from the beginning. While it circled, it slowly moved closer and closer. Dante didn't even turn around to face it as it got behind him and into his blind spot.

When it was right behind him, it lunged with great ferocity. Dante had judged the beast's move and spun round, his kick connected with the side of it's head and it plunged into the ground next to him. It groaned with it's new headache as he walked up next to it casually. Dante kneeled down next to it's dented skull and pressed Ebony into the wound, making it wince in pain.

"Attacking an opponent from behind doesn't make a difference if your opponent knows." He smiled as it looked up at him in fear. "The only thing you accomplish in that, is being taken by surprise when your enemy whips round' and spits in your face." The wolf let out a low growl and started to rise up. but Dante quickly pulled the trigger and blasted a hole in it's head.

He span Ebony in his hand and holstered it in his belt. He stood up and span around with an exaggerated twirl, flicking his coat out so that it rustled about as he came to a stop. He opened his arms out, gesturing to the final two that were in combat stance, side by side.

"Righty' then!" He sheathed Rebellion and walked slowly towards them, staying as casual as possible. "You've seen what we did to your buddies back there. So i'm givin' you two options: One, you can stay here and die, or two. You can turn your ugly asses around, walk back into the forest and forget this ever happened. Your choice, guys!" He turned his back to them and let them make their choice. Somehow he knew what the answer was going to be. "-Speaking of having tricks up your sleeve...-" He prepared a pair of old friends for combat. When he knew their conversing had gone on for too long, he started a countdown.

One... "-For the money...-"

Two... "-For the sin...-"

Three... "-Three for the- aw fuck it.-"

Agni and Rudra appeared in his hands and he back-flipped over the two leaping attackers and landed in a martial arts style long stance, both blades inverted and ready for a fight.

"We taste blood once again!" Rudra introduced as Dante landed professionally.

"Wait! Would opponents made from wood even have blood?" Agni over-analysed with his question.

Dante sighed and leaped forward spinning wildly at a tremendous speed. The wolves had no chance of avoiding the attack and yelped in pain as their bark skin was sliced to pieces and their wooden insides were both set alight by the fires produced by Agni. Their situation was then made worse as the intense air vortex made by Rudra flung them about and split their weakened hides, tearing part of their bodies away.

Dante landed with a safety roll and rose to his feet. He turned around to observe his handy-work, with the twisted and mangled burning bodies strewn about the clearing like dolls. Satisfied with the result, he turned his attention back to the two 'Devil arms' in his hands.

"It turns out wooden wolves do have blood, brother!" Agni exclaimed to his counter-part.

"Yes. In the form of tree sap, disgusting substance." Rudra commented. Dante knocked their heads together and glared at them angrily.

"I though I told you two to shut up!?" The swords remained silent and Dante smiled at their compliance. "Thank you." He told them and they were absorbed into Dante with an amber glow.

He put his hands to his hips and looked over the massive devastation that he had caused. Bodies strewn about everywhere, ripped apart, burned and splintered. He sighed with content and rubbed his hands together, dusting them of after a honest days work. The two ladies walked up to him and gave him a curious look.

"Who were those two?" Lady asked. "Friends of yours?"

"Just two more guys that got their asses kicked back at the Timen-ni-gru." He leaned back with his arms outstretched and several satisfying pops and cracks gave Dante a nice and renewed feeling.

"Back to the matter at hand, we've got a wild Nero to find. The longer we take the more likely that kid is to mess something up." Trish suggested while sheathing the two razors and stylishly flicking her hair.

"Well then. What are we waiting for?" Dante started walking back in the direction they were going before the wolves jumped them.

"So snarky..." Lady said under her breath and Trish rolled her eyes. Something told that this was going to be a long day.


Rainbow Dash arrived in Ponyville to find that a half the town had already assembled in the streets and the mayor was stood at a microphone with Twilight Sparkle. She zoomed in and landed heavily amongst the crowd, kicking up some dust as she did. A few of the ponies gave her annoyed looks but she ignored them and focused on the meeting. She noticed that the mayor and Twilight were staring at her intently and gave a 'Whatever' shrug.

"Okay, as we were saying, this months town meeting is going to have to be re-scheduled to a later date. Any questions?" Twilight looked around until a hoof was raised by a brownish stallion. "Yes?"

"When will this meeting be held again?"

"I'm not sure. However I will be gathering the Elements of Harmony to investigate these anomalies tomorrow. However I will have to gather them earlier it seems, as these strange occurrences are apparently happening as we speak, so you can expect it to be held again within the next few days at best." She answered his question and went silent again to wait for anymore questions. "No more questions? No? Very well, you can all return to your homes now." She finished the meeting and ponies began to slowly scatter.

They talked about things such as the inconvenience of the re-schedule and what the strange occurrences might be. They eventually dispersed to let Rainbow alone with Twilight, Pinkie, Apple Jack and Rarity.

"So you heard the noises too?" Rainbow asked her with a cocked head.

"Not just us, Dash. They heard it all the way in Canterlot! Princess Celestia sent me a letter in the middle of the town meeting saying we should check it out as it might be something to do with the issues she addressed to us earlier today. Did you deliver the message to Fluttershy?"

"Yeah. But there was this weird monster thing with her! It was tall and it had a bunch of swords and stuff." Twilight gasped at this and leaned in closer.

"Oh my... Is she okay?" Rarity blurted out immediately.

"Yeah, she's fine. Apparently him and his friends got pulled through a portal or something, and now they're here. But there's something I don't like about him, Twi'. First he says he's a demon hunter, but he's part demon himself!" Twilight thought hard about what she said and connected a few dots with Celestia's magical anomaly report and Rainbow's story.

"Seems rather dangerous ta' leave her alone with an alien, don't'cha think Rainbow?" Apple Jack questioned.

"Well she said that she found him near the hills to the west and that he fell from the sky, so naturally, she decided to help him."

"And he survived that?" Twilight doubted that anything could just fall from the sky and live. "Falling from the sky, I mean."

"Well he's a half demon alien, dummy! He could just be really tough!" Pinkie bounced up and down for a few seconds so that she didn't explode from standing still for too long.

"He didn't look tough. But I found out later that he has this weird arm that glows and stuff. I thought he was dangerous, and I attacked him. He used his so called 'demon arm' to throw me back out of the door and stop me flying with one hand!"

"That sounds so cool!" Pinkie exclaimed, deep in her seemingly endless sugar rush. Twilight however, had heard enough.

"Girls? We need to go. Now!" A flash of light enveloped the alicorn and her saddle-bags appeared on her sides, full tot the brim with equipment.

"Where are we go-" Rarity was cut off by another flash of light almost blinding her. She closed her eyes to block it out, and when she re-opened them they were standing outside Fluttershy's cottage. *Sigh* "Darling, you must tell us before you do things as such." Twilight was already walking up to the door and starting to knock.

A few seconds passed until the door was opened, and Twilight began taking a step forward. She stopped when she saw something she wasn't expecting. A tall dark figure stood before her and she had to look up to see it's face. It's smile looked to be calm and relexed, and hitching a ride on his shoulders was a sleeping Fluttershy. Twilight frowned at him but it's smile only grew into a grin when she did.

"Come on in." It whispered and put a finger to it's mouth in a shushing motion.

"-Interesting...-" Thought Twilight. "-Its a good thing I brought my notebook.-" The five ponies quietly walked into the house before the door was shut gently behind them.


"Come on! It came from over here!" Rainbow Dash flew ahead of the group, directing them to where the explosions had come from.

"Would be mighty' helpful if y'd slow down Rainbow! Not all of us are athletes y'know!" Applejack looked back to Rarity, Twilight and Fluttershy, who were lagging behind. Rainbow Dash ignored the problems at the back and continued flying ahead.

"We can't be far now!" She called from beyond the tress.

"Rainbow! Don't go too far ahead, the Everfree can be a dangerous place for a lone pony!" Twilight called. However when no response came, she started became worried. "Rainbow!" She shouted for her again but still, the cyan pegasus remained quiet. The sound of metal sliding on metal was heard beside her as a sword was drawn. She looked to Nero who was now running with his giant sword, the Red Queen, in his hand. After a few short moments they burst into a clearing and saw Rainbow Dash standing silently and staring ahead.

"Rainbow! are you o-" She started up but was silenced by the sight before her. A pack of Timberwolves slaughtered and thrown around. All six ponies stared at the corpses that hosted varied injuries. Burns, gashes, missing limbs, some only remained as small chunks of bark and pieces of the foliage that once covered their bodies.

Nero walked cautiously with his sword in hand to the site of utter devastation, his eyes fixed on a particular group of the dead animals. The three dead wolves had very large wounds that looked to have been created by a large blade, one had even been cut clean in half.

"O-oh my..." Fluttershy stuttered in the first part of her sentence, but her speech seemed to break down after that. Pinkie's mane seemed to deflate a bit as-well and her usual happy expression dropped completely.

"What sort of meanie would do something like this?" She looked around to her friends, hoping that on would have an answer. All eyes eventually fixed on Nero as he strolled up to the first set of corpses.

"This over here looks like Dante's work. Large blade and clean slices that either go very deep or all the way through. Although I'm not sure I've ever seen him do something like this, though." He gestured to two of the wolves that had been both burned and chopped up by something.

"I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this at all." Dash slowly walked in, looking between the groups of massacred wolves.

"What are these, anyway?" Nero asked and crouched down to get a better look at the creatures. They were canine for sure but their bark skin and wooden flesh forbade him to immediately interpret so. "Some sort of Golem?"

"They're... they were Timberwolves, the name pretty much says it all. These friends of yours must be quite the warriors." Twilight said from behind.

"You wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alleyway, that's for sure. However they wouldn't attack unless un-provoked, or unless they were protecting anyone who was un-armed. So these timberwolves must have surrounded them, judging by the way they were organised." Nero got back up and visited the area with pieces of the timberwolves scattered left and right. "I'm pretty sure Lady and Trish were over here. Explosions caused by Lady's weaponry and these wounds seem to be made by knives, much like what Trish carries."

"Hey! Look at these prints!" Rainbow hovered over a set of marks in the dirt and the group walked over. Nero placed his foot down next to one of the marks and then lifted it of, revealing a print that was almost identical to the one that was left. There was no doubt that these particular prints were left by Dante himself.

"These are Dante's boot prints. If we follow them, we may be able to catch up with them." He explained.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Rainbow flew ahead again and beckoned the others her way. A collective sigh was let out and they began moving again.


The woods only deepened as the group followed the tracks. The prints led them further and further into the Everfree and worry was starting to arise among them. Sometimes as they passed particularly dark areas, they could feel the eyes of many dangerous creatures watching their travels. Some of them were starting to feel paranoid and were always checking behind themselves every 10 seconds to see if there was something there.

"Look girls, maybe it would be a bad idea following these tracks any farther. What if we get lost?" twilight asked nervously.

"Then we keep following the tracks. Just imagine we're following a pathway, which we are really." The group stayed silent after Nero's comment and they carried on walking.

"Hey! How'about some jokes?" Rainbow Dash turned around joyfully, flying backwards and not looking were she was going.

"Maybe. But if ya' don't look where yer' going, ya' gonna' to hit somethin' eventually." Apple Jack nodded to an approaching tree. And right on queue, Rainbow backed herself into it and she fell to the floor with a soft *THUD*. They all started laughing and the cyan pony grumbled something in-audible under her breath.

"I'd imagine flying without looking is similar to walking down a bumpy hill while watching the sky." Nero suggested with a wide smile.

"Ooh, that sound like a fun challenge! We should try that out sometime, eh Nero?" Pinkie hopped up and down next to him, her mane now less deflated and her bubbly attitude returning.

"I'm not sure if that's the safest idea ever, but it sounds like something to do when your really, really bored." Nero slumped his shoulders for emphasis.

"Great! Next time I'm free from my schedule we'll try it out! Woohoo!" She jumped and did a random 360 in mid air, landing perfectly on her hooves and beginning to hop again.

"You are one of the strangest people I've ever met, you know that Pinkie?" Nero asked her lightheartedly, followed by Pinkie nodding with a 'Mmhmm'.

As they walked, the wind picked up all of a sudden and blew through the trees with an eerie whistling noise. The group stopped and looked around at each other anxiously. Nero's coat blew in the disturbance and he thought he sensed something in the moving breeze that un-nerved him. As he narrowed his eyes suspiciously at the direction of the winds origin, a blue glow started to bloom around him. He raised his demon arm to see it was giving off a brilliant blue light.

"Nero, darling? W-what does that mean?" Rarity stammered through her growing fear. But he stayed quiet and his glowing hand drifted down toward Yamato. When Twilight saw this, her horn began to glow with magic and her stance lowered significantly. Rainbow Dash hovered in place with her fore-hooves up and Apple Jack readied her powerful hinds. Pinkie Pie pulled a cannon from her mane and slammed it onto the ground in front of her with a determined look on her face. Rarity and Fluttershy hid behind their more combat-able friends as they lacked the strength or magical knowledge to fight. The wind swirled around their heels and the air began to get cold without proper reason.

"Rainbow Dash, whats going on with the wind?" Twilight asked sternly.

"I don't know! The Everfree does theses things by itself, remember?" She got no answer but didn't press for one either. "But I do know that there's somethin' weird going on here." All of a sudden the wind dropped away like it was never there, and a moment of silence where nothing happened.

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, but was stopped when glass shards were sent flying at her and something came from seemingly nowhere to face her. She looked up to see a creature in the shape of Nero but it was almost skeletal and it wore a deep purple cloak over it's body. The eyes glowed bright red and it wielded a large scythe in its hands. Letting out a petrifying scream and raised the curved blade to skewer her.

She started to scream when a flash of white sliced the demon in half and it fell to the floor in two pieces. She looked to the demon hunter who had the Yamato blade drawn and held high up in the air like he had just finished a strike.

"How did you do that?" She asked him with a mixture of curiosity and pure terror. "And what was that thing?" He was going to answer when the sound of more glass smashes pierced the air and the group were greeted by more of the demons breaking through invisible panes of glass in the air. Nero whirled the blade around and locked out his arm, pointing down at the ground.

"I'd love to explain to you, princess. But it seems that'll have to wait." He jammed the tip of the sword into the ground and forced power through his arm and into Yamato. It started to hum with energy and emit a small amount of light until he was ready to slash.

He tore Yamato through the dirt and sliced through the air to send a burst of razor sharp energy through the air, letting the hum resonate and vibrate the air. The curved wave hit the closest Scarecrow and cut in half, while the one behind was thrown backwards and into a tree. The thick trunk split and fell, crushing the stunned demon under it's tremendous weight.

The rest of the demons realised the power of their foe and turned their attention to Nero, advancing on him menacingly. This allowed the purple alicorn to release a hailstorm of magical energy and pulverise some of the advancing monsters into red mist. Nero leaped forth and raised the katana above his head, hacking down with the blade cutting straight through a scarecrow like a knife through warm butter.

He threw Yamato high into the air and pulled Blue Rose from it's holster. The pair of minor demons stood no chance of dodging two shots fired with one pull of the trigger, bullets travelling through on and hitting another. The scarecrows were staggering back under the immense volume of fire Nero was throwing out.

Rainbow Dash flew in fast and kicked their stunned bodies in the spine, breaking them and sending their limp but still live bodies on a course back to Nero. He pulled out Red Queen and activated the exceed function. He spun with the flaming sword and sliced through both of them with a single swing.

He looked over to Apple Jack and saw she was having trouble with a group of demons, unable to kill them due to their resistance to physical attacks of a mortal callibre, which was all she could deal.

He positioned Red Queen like a javelin and launched it at them at incredible speed, spearing right into them and lodging itself into a tree with their bodies still hanging from it. She nodded his way with appreciation and he repeated the action back to her.

Three more scarecrows smashed reality at his front and slowly lurked forward with their scythes at the ready. Nero thrust his hand into the air and Yamato came back down to land perfectly within his grasp. He span the blade in circles and filled it with demonic power, each rotation clipped the floor to create sparks which grew in intensity until Yamato glowed orange with heat.

Once it gained enough energy, he stopped spinning it and swung down, slamming it into the ground. The power surged through the ground at the demons and exploded underneath their feet, tossing them about like rag-dolls.

One landed near to Pinkie and when it attempted to get up, a burst of confetti shot out from the cannon and sent it flying into another. It's scythe span out of control and cut down the last two that were barreling through the air un-uncontrollably.

And that was that. The battle ended with multicoloured confetti raining down from the sky and the bodies of 13 dead demons and a fallen tree littering the area. Heavy breaths filled the air as some of the mortals had begun to tire. However Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack looked like they look have gone for a bit longer. As the brightly coloured rain settled on the ground to create a big circle around the arena, Nero strode over to the tree and tugged his sword from the trunk, the bodies falling to the floor and disintegrating.

"So Nero, what were those things?" Twilight repeated her question and Nero turned to answer.

"Those were Scarecrows. Minor demons, not the strongest and painfully slow. Although they can pack quite the punch with those scythes." He responded. "And as for your other question, this is no normal sword..." Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"Obviously not." She said like it was apparent from the start.

"...This sword is called Yamato. It is a demonic artifact and packs enough power to be able to down just about any foe. And in the hands of a demon like me, it's power can be manipulated to attack with more than just the blade. But what concerns me most is how the scarecrows got here. They came from the demon realm, and this is definitely not the demon realm" He looked over to Twilight, who was rapidly taking notes down with a piece of paper and a quill. "That enough for your research?" He asked with a smile and sheathed both swords simultaneously.

"Yes, that'll do just fine." She blushed sheepishly but her paper and quill remained within her magical grasp. "If I may, I want to ask you a few questions, though."

"Go ahead."

"If you're a demon, what makes you different to the scarecrows?" Nero smiled at the question, as it was to be expected.

"Well I'm not a full demon like these guys were, but even as a half demon I had to have inherited my demon half from somewhere. One of my parents may have been at least half demon themselves. However there are only two humans to have ever lived that have demon blood in them, and they are my friend Dante, and his brother Virgil. Dante has white hair as well, which makes me suspicious." He ended by lowering his pitch and narrowing his eyes for a mysterious tone.

"Ooh!" Pinkie jumped up in the air, her big cannon now nowhere to be seen. "Maybe we can go look for your long lost family!"

*BOOM*

An explosion filled the air and all heads turned to the source.

"That's the same explosion I heard from earlier! Except it's closer now." Rainbow pointed out.

"Well I guess I can fill out my family tree later. Let's go find ourselves some demon hunters!" Nero took off running with the tracks again with the ponies following close behind. The day was far from over.